#1 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 07 September 2015 - 12:57 PM

I do not understand why threads are always being locked when certain topics are being discussed. Why can't we have an open debate? Why lock a thread when people are being civil and engaging in open debate?

Sorry... Just doesn't make sense to me.
  • Tigers Agent and erwildcat like this

Steam Name: Turnerm05

Swing Type: RTSC | Tour Pro | XB1 Wireless

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

GTX 1080 Founders Edition

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#2 Tigers Agent

Tigers Agent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationNext Door.

Posted 07 September 2015 - 01:56 PM

I do not understand why threads are always being locked when certain topics are being discussed. Why can't we have an open debate? Why lock a thread when people are being civil and engaging in open debate?

Sorry... Just doesn't make sense to me.

because big heads will always prevail.

#3 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 02:19 PM

I assume you are talking about the backspin thread? Personally, I think both sides argued to the point of stalemate and I don't think that there was much more to be said. It was bordering on uncivil at times.
Steam Name: n.bonaparte
WWG1WGA

#4 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 07 September 2015 - 02:25 PM

I don't think so. I think we were getting to the point of showing multiple scenarios so that we could all test out the physics.

There was only one side showing video evidence and trying to make points based on data rather than simply saying it's right because the developers say so.

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#5 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 07 September 2015 - 02:26 PM

And this isn't the first time. I just don't understand the point of stiffling debate. If you want these topics to be laid to rest then let the discussion play out.

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#6 Crusher

Crusher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 03:38 PM

Redundancy is a main reason for closing a topic. One person has a great idea and another person rewords it. We see this over and over and over...

I agree with Ian on his point as well.

⛳                          🏌️‍♂️                             🏌️‍♀️                              ⛳

xqc8g0-2.png

🏌️‍♂️                                                       🏌️‍♀️
Userbenchmarks:
Custom Build 2019

⛳                          🏌️‍♂️                             🏌️‍♀️                              ⛳

51049423131_98884de356_w.jpg

#7 Richard

Richard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBismarck, ND

Posted 07 September 2015 - 03:54 PM

I assume you are talking about the backspin thread? Personally, I think both sides argued to the point of stalemate and I don't think that there was much more to be said. It was bordering on uncivil at times.

Not to worry, It has been resurrected over on the Steam forum.

Richard

Posted Image

#8 lefty1948

lefty1948

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 07 September 2015 - 04:05 PM

I hit an 8 iron the other day on a par 3 and got 27ft. of backspin.

So I checked where the ball landed and where it came to rest.

The landing point was 12 inches higher  than where it came to rest.

So, I am assuming that this would indicate that Mike was correct.

Oh ya, I hit it at 120% power with a good snap.

#9 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 04:32 PM

Lets not turn this into another spin thread please, I think we have debated that to death.

#10 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 04:39 PM

If the poster considers it to be a bug why keep hitting shots at 122% if he knows what the outcome will be? Just accept this is what may happen, adjust your game accordingly and move on!
  • RobV and Golden Bear like this
WWG1WGA

#11 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 07 September 2015 - 04:42 PM

Ian, I do agree with that statement. But I think the purpose of hitting that shot was to open up a debate as to whether the physics on this sort of shot needs to be revisited.

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#12 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 05:50 PM

We are currently working on re-adding the firm and soft settings to the fairways and greens. To be honest IRL every square inch of every part of closely mown turf on a real course is slightly different anyway. Golf is not an entirely fair game and very small changes can tip the balance between a ball that releases and spins. That's why someone who has nearly won 4 majors this yeah can suddenly shoot 7 over par. Golf is unpredictable!

We are using real world data and equations as to how the ground compresses and affects the speed and spin of the ball so it's not a 'canned' shot and there is no pre-ordained set of circumstances where a ball will spin or not, it's all down to the real time physics.

• Sinewiz, blueblood1995 and ☠InDaSkies☠ like this

#13 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 05:51 PM

oops did I just turn this into another spin thread? Silly me  :lol:

#14 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 07 September 2015 - 05:56 PM

oops did I just turn this into another spin thread? Silly me  :lol:

No, I think your showing that you are more than willing to listen...

• Richard and ☠InDaSkies☠ like this

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#15 J.H.Buchanan

J.H.Buchanan

PG Ameteur Titleist Golf Balls

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • LocationMiami Beach, Florida

Posted 07 September 2015 - 06:26 PM

I have to report to my moms today and do some grilling out - Happy Labor Day  yall - she says too it gets dark out on the deck she doesn't want to change out the dead light bulb or even turn it on cause it waste's electricity but then she is concerned someone may be standing outside of her deck next to the sliding glass window and she won't be able to see them [all this concern and she lives in a gated community what are the odds someone is gong to be out on that deck]  so I got her a solar powered light that snaps onto her gutter above the deck so now she will have light for free.         I just thought of something  !!!! ....will we be able to design a golf course in course forge wherein it will be pitch black darkness but we can put lights on the course so we can play at night.  ???

Little known fact when King Arthur was trying to make a golf course and he ran into some conflict. King Arthur: There's a peace only to be found on the other side of war. If that war should come I will fight it!    Other important fact. Read the Book of John in the Holy Bible. 

#16 Mulligan

Mulligan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  • LocationVirtual Private Network

Posted 07 September 2015 - 06:29 PM

Many closed threads are already cleaned up by the mods when you get there, otherwise you'd see exactly why it's been locked.

#17 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 07 September 2015 - 06:47 PM

We are currently working on re-adding the firm and soft settings to the fairways and greens. To be honest IRL every square inch of every part of closely mown turf on a real course is slightly different anyway. Golf is not an entirely fair game and very small changes can tip the balance between a ball that releases and spins. That's why someone who has nearly won 4 majors this yeah can suddenly shoot 7 over par. Golf is unpredictable!

We are using real world data and equations as to how the ground compresses and affects the speed and spin of the ball so it's not a 'canned' shot and there is no pre-ordained set of circumstances where a ball will spin or not, it's all down to the real time physics.

OK. I can appreciate that the shot isn't predetermined. This is great. Two things I don't quite follow that I'd appreciate your view on:

1 - I posted a video in the spin thread that I created. At one point it showed a 100% wedge backing up 10 yards or so. Makes sense to me. But the. A 99% shot didn't back up at all. I know that things are perfectly linear but I would've expected a little back up on that shot. Why is the change so sudden?

2 - A 122% 8 iron to a flat green skips forward a few yards and then checks hard. Males sense. A 122% 8 iron Hutto a very slight up slope checks super hard and backs way up. I understand that once it's rolling a down slop will exacerbate it but not sure I follow why the slight incline causes the ball to check back so much harder than a flat surface.
  • tlvx likes this

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#18 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 06:50 PM

Just going outside to bang my head on a brick wall! ;-)
  • Richard likes this
WWG1WGA

#19 Richard

Richard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBismarck, ND

Posted 07 September 2015 - 06:52 PM

OK. I can appreciate that the shit isn't predetermined. This is great. Two things I don't quite follow that I'd appreciate your view on:

1 - I posted a video in the spin thread that I created. At one point it showed a 100% wedge backing up 10 yards or so. Makes sense to me. But the. A 99% shot didn't back up at all. I know that things are perfectly linear but I would've expected a little back up on that shot. Why is the change so sudden?

2 - A 122% 8 iron to a flat green skips forward a few yards and then checks hard. Males sense. A 122% 8 iron Hutto a very slight up slope checks super hard and backs way up. I understand that once it's rolling a down slop will exacerbate it but not sure I follow why the slight incline causes the ball to check back so much harder than a flat surface.

Just refer to the 'locked thread'. You're find your answers there, I promise. Just read and comprehend.

Richard

Posted Image

#20 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 07 September 2015 - 06:57 PM

Guys... I'm asking for his thoughts. That's it. If I felt it was already answered I wouldn't ask again. Seriously. I'm asking as nicely as I know how and trying to engage in an open conversation. If you don't like it then read another thread.

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users