#81 Sinewiz

Sinewiz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts
  • LocationMichigan U.S.A.

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:01 PM

The lack of mouse support is a huge disappointment for me as well. For those of us that are a little longer in the tooth the lack of support is going to obviously be a bigger deal than it is for someone a little younger. Face it, the majority of us grew up clicking and a golf game simply isn't a golf game without click support. That said, it still won't prevent me from making a purchase as it still has plenty enough to offer to keep me entertained for a while. There has been such a huge void in the market for so long that if a third or fourth game hit the market I would probably purchase them as well.

Still, PP looks to be the far better representation of the the game that will hold my interest over the long haul. TGC from my perspective still looks a tad too, and I hate to say the word for fear of reprisal (arcadey) for my tastes. But, for the time being until PP is ready I'll be crossing over to the dark side and using a (gulp) XBOX controller to play my PC golf. Sorry, but I'm in dire need of a golf fix.

Lakes of Taylor Golf Course

Links at Gateway Golf Club

#82 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:59 PM

TGC's course creator is a course generator that you can edit. It was never designed to be a full fledged course designer and is aimed at a different audience than PP's CourseForge.

Game controllers are actually far better suited to a 'true-swing' type of golf swing than a mouse is. The problem is simply one of perception by PC users, who often relate game controllers to some sort of childish arcade experience when this is not necessarily the case. They are no more expensive than a good mouse and, IMO, are a good addition to a PC setup. ;) 

HB Studious have confirmed you can attempt to build a course from scratch, with no pre-laid textures inserted by the course generator, so you could claim it is a course designer too, lol.

As for an analogue stick being best for a Tru-Swing, I guess that depends whether you want control from just your thumb (analogue stick) or your whole hand (mouse). Whenever I tried on the Playstation, I always found it quite difficult to actually make a reasonably straight swing with just my thumb, as it was always wanting to veer off left on the thru-swing, lol. At the higher difficulty levels this often meant plenty of time in the trees.

;)

#83 MERACE

MERACE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:12 PM

As I've stated numerous times before, there is plenty of room for more virtual golf games in the gaming market. Some will lean more towards an arcade style of play while others a more simulation style. I believe that TGC is leaning towards something in between - AUTHENTIC.

I used to fall squarely into the simulation style camp. However, I now prefer an authentic style of virtual golf, something that faithfully represents the game of golf without making it unrealistically difficult.

Some of the authentic golf features missing (I.e. proper drops) in the initial release of TGC will be addressed in a future update to the game according to statements made by the developers.

It appears that TGC will beat PP to the market, but I'll be purchasing both games no matter when they're released.

-MERACE

#84 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:50 PM

I'm 59 years old and I'm a late convert into the thumbstick controller camp.  Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 finally made me feel a quality association with the the swing and the shot result, using a thumbstick.  I tried Tiger Woods 06 with a thumbstick controller on the PC, and it wasn't properly tuned or scaled.  It worked but it felt vastly inferior to that game's implementation of TrueSwing with the mouse.

I still see people offering up lack of mouse control as an objection to the PC version of TGC.  I've tried to make it clear that HB Studios is planning to have mouse control by release date.  Hypothetically, the only PC gamers who won't get to experience mouse control with the mouse are those in the closed beta.  I wouldn't be surprised if they don't heap that in late during the closed beta to get some independent feedback.  Will the mouse control that's offered be analog, 3-click, both?  I don't know... the biggest question is "will it be quality"?  

There's a fear in my mind that I'm coming across as a TGC  fanboy here.  Let me assure you; if TGC's swing interface: Thumbstick or Mouse doesn't provide an intuitive, viscerally stimulating experience, it will NOT be on my playlist, no matter how much "fun" the course generator/creator/designer may be.  I'll be hoping for the Thumbstick control first, but if it doesn't get the job done, I'll see the mouse and the PC version as a *possible* alternative if it does. 

Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz 
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#85 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 30 January 2014 - 02:22 AM

Okay, I promised everyone I'd report back once I got an answer on mouse control for The Golf Club's PC version.

First the good news: analog mouse control is the target and getting it into the beta, sooner than later is important.

Now for the bad news: 3-click hasn't been 100% ruled out.

On the good news, analog mouse control, that would be my preference for PC gaming with the mouse.  I imagine it would resemble TrueSwing, but I can't say for sure.

On the bad news, it sounds pretty fatal.  Hasn't been 100% ruled out sounds like it's mostly been ruled out.  I know that's not what some of you want to hear, but that's what we've got for now.  

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#86 Maverick Spirit

Maverick Spirit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, USA

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:33 AM

I have played many pc golf games over the past 20 years or so, most have swing styles/controls that do not appeal to me. Just 2 or 3 games that utilize TS and/or 3 click provided me the most enjoyment. While the XBox controller is the quickest way for The Golf Club to get to a beta and it may be a good way to play the game, while I can't speak for the community, it is of no interest to me.

So at this time I'll give The Golf Club a pass...wait and see if they listen to the community or not regarding swing styles and spend my time here with PP/PG who do appear to be listening to all input from the community.

Maverick

#87 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 02:19 PM

Good to hear your comments JCat regarding their goal of including a mouse interface. I do read their forums, but on a daily basis I always arrive here first, so I'll tend to where they posted that recent addition to include the mouse interface. Last i read was the "goal" comment..

I have no issues with the XBox controller being available, nor more swing types.. I enjoy options. Without options I find the door is shut on someone, and the forums fill up with discussions surrounding the negatives. Threads rarely praise positives within a game, and are even rarer to continually surface as often as the gripes. This is seen across many games and platforms, and whilst the old phrase "you can't please everyone" arises.. basics are important. A mouse interface for a PC game is exactly that.

I'll leave this thread to another direction..

#88 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:32 PM

Okay, I promised everyone I'd report back once I got an answer on mouse control for The Golf Club's PC version.

First the good news: analog mouse control is the target and getting it into the beta, sooner than later is important.

Now for the bad news: 3-click hasn't been 100% ruled out.

On the good news, analog mouse control, that would be my preference for PC gaming with the mouse.  I imagine it would resemble TrueSwing, but I can't say for sure.

On the bad news, it sounds pretty fatal.  Hasn't been 100% ruled out sounds like it's mostly been ruled out.  I know that's not what some of you want to hear, but that's what we've got for now.  

Have you mis-typed above?

I only ask as I am unsure why it would be bad news that something hadn't been ruled out? Did you mean to say mouse-click has been ruled out?

;)

#89 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:34 PM

Have you mis-typed above?

I only ask as I am unsure why it would be bad news that something hadn't been ruled out? Did you mean to say mouse-click has been ruled out?

;)

When he says hasn't been 100% ruled out, it sounds to me like it's close to being 100% ruled out.  IOW, I don't like its chances.  I also heard in a podcast interview today with the Executive Producer, Peter Garcin, that their goal in designing this game was to have it free of meters and gauges.  Could we have a 3-click interface that didn't use a meter?  Maybe, but I would guess most 3-click players would want a meter and not have to gauge their clicks based on the golfer animation.  Although it would be cool if the animations are fluid enough to make that feasible  B)

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#90 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:55 PM

Well... that's a bummer too. Seems I'm likely to take a risk if I wish to add their game to my collection.

Hmmmm.. guess the window was open when options were discussed... it got thrown out of it..

I think we need to see something before making a final decision/reaction though..

#91 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:37 PM

TGC certainly has potential and the fact it has a course generator/builder/designer in tow and also that it is built in Unity (as well as PG there are some might fine releases that have used Unity well) will I'm sure serve it well.

But, as I have stated before, to me it seems they are wanting the control method to be the same across PC, XBOX and PS, as they have said they are looking down the road at cross-platform play. XBOX and PS don't use a mouse, so the PC it appears lucks out. Now I'm not saying the analogue stick method is bad, it just is not the chosen method for many, especially in the PC world. To add to this, RTS/TruSwing are not my preferred swing of choice either, so without a mouse click option, the game becomes a potential miss for me.

Hopefully I can get on the BETA and tryout my XBOX360 controller on the PC and see how I perform, but if it becomes a struggle, then TGC will not be seeing my HD down the road. This isn't an attack on TGC or a claim to say it will be a bad game, as hopefully it will be really good, but with what I have typed above, it appears it may not be for me, but I'm sure there will be many who spend many hours of enjoyable golf playing it.

;)

• Keith likes this

#92 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:05 PM

Daz and Ian, if HBS keeps their ringer on the pulse of the PC segment of their userbase, or should I say *potential* userbase to the degree they seem to be doing, I think they'll recognize the demand for 3-click control in TGC is there.  I get the sense that they're struggling with how to handle that from the standpoint of its inclusion in crossplay.  How would a guy playing the game on a PS4, using their DS4 controller feel about playing against another player on a PC using 3-click mouse?  Opinions will vary, but I suspect there would be folks who wouldn't feel like it was a fair fight, on both sides of my example.

I'm not an anti-3-click guy either.  Heck, I play Hot Shots Golf World Invitational on the PS3, 3 or 4 rounds a week using a 3-click interface on the DS3 controller (confession is good for the soul  :o ).  I enjoy it in doses.  I do get a good feeling when I've hit one on the screws with it.  It won't take the place of the analog stick swing feeling I get with Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 on my 360, or Links 2004 on my 360 in BC mode, but it gets the job done for me on days when I want to play the daily World tournament on PSN.

I'm game for trying everything out of curiosity.  If I get the PC version of TGC and there is analog mouse control as an option (and I'm 99.99% sure there will be), I'll try it out for sure.  I loved TrueSwing on Tiger Woods 06, and definitely loved in on PGA Championship Golf 2000.  If they do introduce 3-click down the road for TGC, I'll have to have a go at that as well.  I'd also be willing to enter 3-click only competitions if HBS felt for some reason that they would need to segregate 3-click play.

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#93 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:15 PM

Daz and Ian, if HBS keeps their ringer on the pulse of the PC segment of their userbase, or should I say *potential* userbase to the degree they seem to be doing, I think they'll recognize the demand for 3-click control in TGC is there.  I get the sense that they're struggling with how to handle that from the standpoint of its inclusion in crossplay.  How would a guy playing the game on a PS4, using their DS4 controller feel about playing against another player on a PC using 3-click mouse?  Opinions will vary, but I suspect there would be folks who wouldn't feel like it was a fair fight, on both sides of my example.

I'm not an anti-3-click guy either.  Heck, I play Hot Shots Golf World Invitational on the PS3, 3 or 4 rounds a week using a 3-click interface on the DS3 controller (confession is good for the soul  :o ).  I enjoy it in doses.  I do get a good feeling when I've hit one on the screws with it.  It won't take the place of the analog stick swing feeling I get with Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 on my 360, or Links 2004 on my 360 in BC mode, but it gets the job done for me on days when I want to play the daily World tournament on PSN.

I'm game for trying everything out of curiosity.  If I get the PC version of TGC and there is analog mouse control as an option (and I'm 99.99% sure there will be), I'll try it out for sure.  I loved TrueSwing on Tiger Woods 06, and definitely loved in on PGA Championship Golf 2000.  If they do introduce 3-click down the road for TGC, I'll have to have a go at that as well.  I'd also be willing to enter 3-click only competitions if HBS felt for some reason that they would need to segregate 3-click play.

I guess it is no different to someone playing iRacing, where one has a full racing sim setup with 3 screens, seat, wheel and pedals and another guy is sat at his 20" PC monitor using his XBOX 360 controller, lol.

I appreciate this is not cross-platform, but it is the same idea. 2 guys playing the same game with totally different control methods, plus there is no guarantee that the guy with the sim setup will be quicker than the controller guy, lol. It's each to their own.

I just feel releasing a game on the PC, and a golf game to boot, and not giving folks the option of using the standard feature of PC's - the mouse - would be a mistake. Let's hope both RTS/TruSwing and even Powerstroke make it, along with some form of click.

;)

• Tigers Agent likes this

#94 FixAmer1st

FixAmer1st

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • LocationSun City Center, FL

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:59 PM

How would a guy playing the game on a PS4, using their DS4 controller feel about playing against another player on a PC using 3-click mouse?  Opinions will vary, but I suspect there would be folks who wouldn't feel like it was a fair fight, on both sides of my example.

JCat04.

I assume that they would feel the same as someone in Links who uses Champ or Elite and playng against one who uses Pro. If they want to play against them it wouldn't matter at all. It is the playng of the game together that matters.

Jerry

Links Golf
CPU_Match_Play_Tour.jpg
CPU_Director_2013.jpg
Administrator of KISS Tours

Dell XPS Desktop
4th Generation Intel Core i7-4790 @ 4.0 GHz
16 GB DDR3 Memory
Win7 64 bit Home Premium
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 4GB
1TB SATA HardDrive

#95 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:44 AM

JCat04.

I assume that they would feel the same as someone in Links who uses Champ or Elite and playng against one who uses Pro. If they want to play against them it wouldn't matter at all. It is the playng of the game together that matters.

Jerry

That's a great, highly analogous example Jerry.  As long as there's an option to do it and have the mode of control displayed in the game options, it's the gamer's choice to mix modes or not.  I think this game will need to broaden its reach to appeal to more of the PC market than they are with their current plan.  HBS seems to have a flexible enough core engine to make this happen.

Knowing what I know now, I would say their main objection to including 3-click is they'd have to have a click meter added to the HUD.  Their core design philosophy is to avoid meters and gauges.  Although you'd have a hard time coming to that conclusion looking at their green grid tool ^_^   

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#96 Guest_Nemesis_*

Guest_Nemesis_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:30 PM

Regardless of the company, the first one out of the gate with a 3/4 click meter swing will be installed on my PC.  As long as is possible I will be a die hard PC User for my favorite golf games.

Currently playing TW08 and Links 2003.  Several hundred free courses in my combined collection and having a ball everyday playing both games, which have stood the test of time.  All we see now in any forum is delayed releases of any new golf game.

Download and play Links 2003 or find a DVD for TW08.  You may find yourselves waiting a year or more for anyone's game to be released. indeed - if ever there is a fully polished new PC golf game...

#97 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:24 PM

HBS posted some new screens from a later build of the game today. http://thegolfclubga...golf-club-game/  The flags are now draped as a fabric flag should be (apparently there is little to no wind in the shots where flags are shown) instead of the cardboard cutouts seen in the first screens and video.  One of the devs said the cardboard flags were a temporary fix to a crashing issue associate with the flag animations in an earlier build.  Dazmaniac has already pointed out some inconsistencies in these screens in the HBS forum, but I'll leave it to you guys to pick them out here.  Honestly, I'm seeing a little more detail in them for a course designer that's this 'global'.

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#98 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:33 PM

HBS posted some new screens from a later build of the game today. http://thegolfclubga...golf-club-game/  The flags are now draped as a fabric flag should be (apparently there is little to no wind in the shots where flags are shown) instead of the cardboard cutouts seen in the first screens and video.  One of the devs said the cardboard flags were a temporary fix to a crashing issue associate with the flag animations in an earlier build.  Dazmaniac has already pointed out some inconsistencies in these screens in the HBS forum, but I'll leave it to you guys to pick them out here.  Honestly, I'm seeing a little more detail in them for a course designer that's this 'global'.

Indeed I did. I didn't knock the Course Designer tool though as it looks very good.

My issue was that they have put together a bunch of pics from various courses (some of which are very good) but others don't show off the courses in their best light.

1. The wooly appearance of the grass on the green, of the ball close up pic.

2. Greens that appear to have no fringe cut.

3. The bridge over the creek with a bush in the way at one side, and the bridge embedded half way up the grass bank on the other.

I just don't always see only the good bits, so refuse to go ga-ga over the pics like some seem to be doing.

;)

#99 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:59 PM

Dazmaniac, I thought you analysis hit the mark, and no - you didn't knock the course designer.  All of your points are valid and ones I hope the devs will take into consideration.  As to the fringe around the greens, it looks to me like there's like a 3 or 4 inch strip of fringe, which to me would be even odder than no fringe at all.

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#100 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:11 PM

Regardless of the company, the first one out of the gate with a 3/4 click meter swing will be installed on my PC.  As long as is possible I will be a die hard PC User for my favorite golf games.

Currently playing TW08 and Links 2003.  Several hundred free courses in my combined collection and having a ball everyday playing both games, which have stood the test of time.  All we see now in any forum is delayed releases of any new golf game.

Download and play Links 2003 or find a DVD for TW08.  You may find yourselves waiting a year or more for anyone's game to be released. indeed - if ever there is a fully polished new PC golf game...

I had Links 2003 from day one on my PC.  I really enjoyed it for about two years, but when Tiger Woods 06's TrueSwing finally reached the point I thought it should be, I had a hard time feeling the 3-click swing I was using in Links 2003.  I never got the feel for Links 2003's analog mouse swing.  Links 2003 has held up well over the years though.  I went to the dark side in 2006 when Tiger Woods 07 hit for the 360 and I started to prefer the recliner, my 55" HDTV, and a thumbstick controller for golf gaming.  I admit that TrueSwing and Links 2003's RTS are better analogs for the golf swing than thumbsticks, but the other aspects of console gaming offset those advantages.

Could the PC version of TGC bring me back to PC golf gaming?  Maybe, I won't know until I try it.  I know I'll probably prefer it for designing, but playing the game will be a different story if it looks and plays as good on a PS4 or an XBox One, over my now 60" LED HDTV.

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users