125 replies to this topic

#61 MERACE

MERACE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:46 PM

For those who have written the PC version of this game off due to lack of mouse support, one of the developers confirmed this today in the official forum: "Mouse controls won't be in when the Beta launches, but it is a goal for the retail release." 

By "mouse control", I don't know if they mean analog mouse control (TrueSwing) or 3-click, or both.  I've asked for clarification.

I also responded in that thread that I hope the mouse control will be tested by the closed beta team DURING the beta since it is vital to get the feel of that swing nailed down prior to release.

-MERACE

#62 fungolfer

fungolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:04 PM

Exactly what I said. I don't think I'm gonna beta testing for them after I bought the game. This truly reminds me what happened in TWO. Many changes were made after beta testing and it got worse and worse with each "bug fixing". So I will still throw an eye on that game but I will in 1st line support PP.

Who cares...

#63 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:35 PM

I think the are pushing the analogue control because they are trying for the cross platform idea with the XBOXONE and PS4, which will both have the analogue controller.

I agree with you guys that ideally any mouse control should be included in a BETA and not be something that is hastily added as a 'go live' feature when it has not had the chance for proper community feedback. I feel the mouse will be the poor relation at TGC.

Like Fungolfer, whilst I am happy to see TGC and prepared to try out what they have to offer, Perfect Golf is my #1.

#64 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:47 PM

Now why in the hell would I want to play a golf game on my computer with xbox or ps whatever controllers?  Sorry, I'm out.... :wacko:

• Dazmaniac, fungolfer and Keith like this

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#65 MERACE

MERACE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:57 PM

Now why in the hell would I want to play a golf game on my computer with xbox or ps whatever controllers?  Sorry, I'm out.... :wacko:

I'm really sorry to hear that axe360 as I would love to see some of the course creations from you in that game. B)   

If I get picked to join the PC closed beta I will push for the mouse support with the best experience possible (similar to TrueSwing and Real Time Swing). :)

-MERACE

#66 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:25 AM

Now why in the hell would I want to play a golf game on my computer with xbox or ps whatever controllers? Sorry, I'm out.... :wacko:

Larry,
I guess this is HB studios preferred control method. They have talked of possibly adding mouse control but no guarantee.

Just glad PP are going with the mouse.

#67 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:27 AM

Thanks MERACE, I hope it works out, would be super to have 2 gr8 golf games. :)

I agree Daz. :)

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#68 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:43 AM

I guess I didn't make it clear in my original post about mouse control being added to The Golf Club's PC version.  HB Studios JordanA said today:  

"Mouse control won't be in when the beta launches, but it is a goal for the retail release."

One could read this as saying that mouse control *could* be added during closed-beta testing, but won't be there at the start.  I'm sure a lot of us would want to know whether TrueSwing and 3-click mouse control options are part of that package?  I've yet to get an answer to my follow-up question about Jordan's statement.  If I do, I'll also post it here.

Finally, being a "goal" doesn't guarantee that it will be there at retail release, but I think they'll make it happen.  I picked up on the fact that they were somewhat taken aback by the backlash to mouse control not being there last week.  To their credit, they didn't tell us why we shouldn't want it, they responded in the affirmative.

Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz 
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#69 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:54 AM

Fair enough but you got to understand a lot of us were promised a lot of things by EA Sports and they didn't come thru, so I think some of us might be a little gun shy.. If it does happen though, I'm sure I would take a look at it then but for sure wouldn't be interested if its just xbox and ps4 controllers.  I will hold out hope though...

• fungolfer likes this

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#70 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:59 AM

Fair enough but you got to understand a lot of us were promised a lot of things by EA Sports and they didn't come thru, so I think some of us might be a little gun shy.. If it does happen though, I'm sure I would take a look at it then but for sure wouldn't be interested if its just xbox and ps4 controllers.  I will hold out hope though...

I do understand that Axe, and I was one of those who felt let down after some of their promises went begging.  I've already seen a marked difference in the MO between HB Studios and Tiburon though... if you ask them a question about the game, they won't give you the "I can't talk about that feature until it's been announced yet" spiel - they give you an answer.... and so far, they've all proven to be or sounded like honest answers.

Oh, and in fairness to Tiburon; it wasn't necessarily them who deferred in answering questions, it was EA Sports who had them muted.

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#71 woodworkery

woodworkery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:11 AM

Well I know you guys are not crazy about WGT but they announced  3 new courses for the 2014 year with one coming in a few months

#72 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:33 AM

Well I know you guys are not crazy about WGT but they announced  3 new courses for the 2014 year with one coming in a few months

I was pretty much unaffected by WGT.  I tried it and it just didn't resonate with me.  I felt like my player was being dropped into a postcard image and asked to play a golf shot.  It's designed to be a challenging game and I never broke par in the 5 or 6 rounds I tried to play.  I just never felt immersed enough in it to want to keep trying.

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#73 woodworkery

woodworkery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:49 AM

The game has its moments, and if you thought it was tough then you should try the uneven lie option they have. It's suppose to give the effect of the real life play. Meaning you have to adjust your aim to the pin according to your lie and with the wind.

#74 Keith

Keith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:08 AM

I guess I didn't make it clear in my original post about mouse control being added to The Golf Club's PC version.  HB Studios JordanA said today:  

"Mouse control won't be in when the beta launches, but it is a goal for the retail release."

One could read this as saying that mouse control *could* be added during closed-beta testing, but won't be there at the start.  I'm sure a lot of us would want to know whether TrueSwing and 3-click mouse control options are part of that package?  I've yet to get an answer to my follow-up question about Jordan's statement.  If I do, I'll also post it here.

Finally, being a "goal" doesn't guarantee that it will be there at retail release, but I think they'll make it happen.  I picked up on the fact that they were somewhat taken aback by the backlash to mouse control not being there last week.  To their credit, they didn't tell us why we shouldn't want it, they responded in the affirmative.

This is not directed at you personally, simply observations based on your point about mouse control.  Just can't see how you plan a game to be released via the PC platform w/o mouse compatibility.  I know they say they will get around to it, but it doesn't sound like it is high on their priority scale.  This is doubly important for those like me..I am quadriplegic and a click based mouse swing is my only option.  While I'm yapping, their course creator sounds a bit weak as well..doesn't have nearly the capability to put an individual stamp and explore your creativity that CF will offer us.  Easier than CF?  Possibly.  But that does not always equal better.

Glad there will be options out there for us consumers, and competition always keeps people on their "A" game..which only benefits us.  I'll continue to peek in at the goings on over there.  At this point in time, however, PG and CF continue to hold my complete interest. 

• fungolfer likes this

#75 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:09 AM

The game has its moments, and if you thought it was tough then you should try the uneven lie option they have. It's suppose to give the effect of the real life play. Meaning you have to adjust your aim to the pin according to your lie and with the wind.

I'll give it another shot.  It's been over a year since I last tried it... I need a humbling new experience anyway  :)

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#76 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:21 AM

This is not directed at you personally, simply observations based on your point about mouse control.  Just can't see how you plan a game to be released via the PC platform w/o mouse compatibility.  I know they say they will get around to it, but it doesn't sound like it is high on their priority scale.  This is doubly important for those like me..I am quadriplegic and a click based mouse swing is my only option.  While I'm yapping, their course creator sounds a bit weak as well..doesn't have nearly the capability to put an individual stamp and explore your creativity that CF will offer us.  Easier than CF?  Possibly.  But that does not always equal better.

Glad there will be options out there for us consumers, and competition always keeps people on their "A" game..which only benefits us.  I'll continue to peek in at the goings on over there.  At this point in time, however, PG and CF continue to hold my complete interest. 

Good points on all counts Keith.  I can't speak for HB Studios as to why they are this far into the development process without thinking there would be sufficient demand for mouse control on the PC version to warrant building it in from the ground up.  I pretty much quit playing PC golf games in 2007, but I've stayed connected enough with it to know that this is still a popular control option.  If I had to guess I would say that HBS had cross play so far at the forefront of their design basis that they overlooked this.  

To your second point as to the course creator in TGC, it doesn't sound like it's nearly as full featured as CF, but I don't think they intended it to be.  I still think we'll be amazed at some of the creations that people can come up with using it, but it's going to be hamstrung without having the ability to create custom objects.  I want to recreate Quail Hollow CC, but it's going to be missing a lot of its identity without me having the ability to create the characteristic houses that are so much a part of Quail Hollow's identity.  Clearly, CF has more tools at the designer's disposal, but I've learned not to underestimate what creative minds can do with what seems to be a relatively limited set of tools.

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#77 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:50 PM

TGC's course creator is a course generator that you can edit. It was never designed to be a full fledged course designer and is aimed at a different audience than PP's CourseForge.

Game controllers are actually far better suited to a 'true-swing' type of golf swing than a mouse is. The problem is simply one of perception by PC users, who often relate game controllers to some sort of childish arcade experience when this is not necessarily the case. They are no more expensive than a good mouse and, IMO, are a good addition to a PC setup. ;) 

life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#78 Mick-S

Mick-S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationDevon.u.k / born London

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:15 PM

I have TW on the PS3 and like the swing using the stick, harder to hit it straight as it does wobble a bit, to me the mouse and 3 click gets a bit to easy once you get used to it, and they need a way to make the game harder to stop the -18 rounds, I don`t see any other way to make the game harder than the actual swing, we know in real life golf the hardest part is swinging the club.

#79 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:04 PM

I agree Acrilix, there is a negative stigma about thumbstick controllers among PC gamers.  I can understand where it comes from, but I got over it pretty quick once I connected my wireless 360 controller, via the inexpensive USB wireless receiver from Microsoft.  It works great with rFactor racing and Euro Truck  Simulator, for times when I don't want to go the hassle of rigging my desktop up to my Fanatec/Playseat Evolution racing cockpit.  It also worked good with Tiger Woods 06 on the PC... well, as good as the gamepad implementation was on that game, which wasn't  anything to write home about.

Mick-S, HBS may have a wrinkle to make gamepad control not as straightfoward as we're may be conditioned to think.  We won't know until we get our hands on it, which I think makes a demo of vital importance to HBS.

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#80 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:08 PM

I'm keen to see new products available, providing they meet the expected audience and needs. I'm a little miffed at TGC in regards to how they arrived where they did... but not in any answerable way. either they recognised a need for the product or they had something they felt they could sell because it was 'left-over'. The latter is more in my mind, but I guess they've tried a variation on what was already available and been so for 15 years.

What actually irks me though, is the lack of mouse interface. It's a no for me unfortunately, as it has an online experience I'd like to try. That for me is the variation it offers in regards to other games, not waiting for turns. I can only recognise how I fear that dis-association of a challenge, without actually going through the setup with an opponent watching. But until i play it, I cannot honestly comment whether it's a good thing or a bad thing, so I'm happy to try it before passing judgement. Not without a mouse interface though...

As for goals.. good luck to them if they achieve it by including it on final release. If not, I hope they take refunds for those who purchase in error too, as being necessary to pay another £25+ for a controller to play the game they also paid for, can be expensive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users