#21 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:52 PM

It looks pretty good, thank you JCat04 for sharing but i'm sure PP is working on for the best !

I dislike arcade games & i'm for the simulations that go near to the reality.

It may be a while before Perfect Golf makes to the console market, but I'd say the PC version of Pefect Golf will be along not too long after the PC version of The Golf Club.  I see this as healthy competition that will ultimately work out for the betterment of both games and developers/publishers.  I haven't seen anything in The Golf Club that suggests it will be an arcade game, so I can't dismiss it based on those grounds at this point.  I strongly prefer realistic, simulation-esque play to arcade play myself.  I'm wishing the best for both Perfect Parallel and HB Studios, because there's certainly room in my world for two quality golf  games.  I used to get up from a round of Links 2003 and go right into Tiger Woods PGA Tour 06 on the PC and appreciated each of them more because they stayed fresh.

• Davefevs likes this

Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz 
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#22 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:17 PM

It does look very nice. Bit heavy on the color saturation…EA should be worried - Perfect Parallel should not.

Also:

- How many courses at the start. Pay money to buy more courses?

- Business model: Extra DLC? Pay-to-win? Online membership?

- Console game, requiring an internet connection for multiplayer. Won't happen in my home, my smart TV and consoles (if I had one) will never go online.

- Procedural course design? Meh… meaning an element of randomness being introduced. Even with the best of intents, that can't possibly lead to exceptional designs - except by accident. Either the parameters are set too tight and then many golf holes will look and feel similar, or they are set too wide, leading to weird and unrealistic results. Should be okay for the undiscriminating casuals, but probably not so much for the connoisseurs.

Always good to have available alternatives, though. This is one.

• JCat04 likes this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#23 Perculator

Perculator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:58 PM

This game didn't just suddenly pop out of the woodwork for some of us.  There was a thread started in August of last year in the official Tiger Woods PGA Tour "Off Topic" forum at EA Sports about it.  At the time all we had to go on was a feature You Tube video that "The Game Code"  produced on the game's developer, HB Studios.  They showed brief glimpses of the course creator/architect in the feature and discussed the game briefly, showing only the top half of an early gameplay screen.  This video was made back in July of last year.

The developer has been so tight-lipped about it that nothing else was learned in the months that followed, other than to confirm that it was still in development.  So it's not like this is just a flash in the pan that hasn't been in the works for a long time.  When HB Studios decided to publish it themselves, rather than try to sign another household name, I imagine that made them play their cards closer to the vest since they were in turf unfamiliar to them.

I come from the Links 2003 community. Trust me, we have our share of users out there that sniff out this kind of thing. I read several forums every day and have never heard of this until now. I'm liking it and am all for competition. As you mentioned, the developer is real tight lipped about it, so maybe it slipped by the L2K3 hound dogs.

Anyway .... my money is still on PP (for now).

• JCat04 likes this

i5-4670K | GeForce GTX 970 4GB | 16GB DDR3 RAM | Windows 10 64 bit.

#24 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:28 PM

I come from the Links 2003 community. Trust me, we have our share of users out there that sniff out this kind of thing. I read several forums every day and have never heard of this until now. I'm liking it and am all for competition. As you mentioned, the developer is real tight lipped about it, so maybe it slipped by the L2K3 hound dogs.

Anyway .... my money is still on PP (for now).

There was a video posted many months ago which included an interview with the Studio. They mentioned the forthcoming golf game and there was just a few seconds footage showing the beginnings of the course creator. I'm pretty sure it was posted on Links Corner but it was so brief and vague that it attracted little to no attention. 

life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#25 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:38 PM

Unlike K11 I think this will have quite a negative impact on the number of Perfect Golf sales. This will likely draw away many of the disgruntled WGT players, as well as the ex-TWO players waiting for something fresh to come along in the PC golf market well before Perfect Golf is finished. From what I've seen in the video, the course creator is also going to be a lot more flexible than K11 thinks, and will definitely appeal to people that don't have the time to learn the intricacies of a full blown course design package.

Of course, it could ultimately give more people the taste for course creation to such an extent that it provides other golf games with a plethora of budding new designers!!! ;) 

• nightowl likes this
life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#26 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:33 PM

We can discuss this all day long, but we're not actually aware of the final product in either game properly.. only what they'd both like to achieve. It's hard to judge either game until you have played them both.

They're both heading in the right direction for market purposes in my opinion though. However, sometimes winning the race for release doesn't always make you the winner..

• BionicWolf likes this

#27 MERACE

MERACE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:38 PM

Unlike K11 I think this will have quite a negative impact on the number of Perfect Golf sales. This will likely draw away many of the disgruntled WGT players, as well as the ex-TWO players waiting for something fresh to come along in the PC golf market well before Perfect Golf is finished. From what I've seen in the video, the course creator is also going to be a lot more flexible than K11 thinks, and will definitely appeal to people that don't have the time to learn the intricacies of a full blown course design package.

Of course, it could ultimately give more people the taste for course creation to such an extent that it provides other golf games with a plethora of budding new designers!!! ;) 

Yep.  I've always wanted to create virtual golf courses but became quickly overwhelmed by the learning curve required.  Having a randomly generated golf course that I can manipulate to my heart's desire sounds like just the ticket? :)

Also, from what I've read in the Procedural Course Generation article and seen in the Introduction to the Course Creator video, there seems to be plenty of detail and creativity available for the veteran course designers to do their handiwork.  ;)

-MERACE

• JCat04 likes this

#28 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:24 PM

I can't say the procedural course generator appeals to me—I prefer to play someone's handiwork rather than an algorithm.

Just watched a video of the course generator. It is a neat feature and will appeal to many casual virtual golfers, but the course that was created looks basic as far as features and detail of the terrain is concerned. I'm with Shimonko in that I would much prefer a course from someone's handiwork than presetting some parameters and the game deciding what it thinks I want.

Still, the more golf games the better. It will certainly give PP some food for thought (I would hope) but videos are just that. Whilst it might all look nice and shiny, it might play like cack, lol.

;)

#29 Guest_Pssst..(I work for EA)_*

Guest_Pssst..(I work for EA)_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:38 AM

Just watched a video of the course generator. It is a neat feature and will appeal to many casual virtual golfers, but the course that was created looks basic as far as features and detail of the terrain is concerned. I'm with Shimonko in that I would much prefer a course from someone's handiwork than presetting some parameters and the game deciding what it thinks I want.

Still, the more golf games the better. It will certainly give PP some food for thought (I would hope) but videos are just that. Whilst it might all look nice and shiny, it might play like cack, lol.

;)

Food for thought? What about a run for pp's money? Or the nail in the coffin?

#30 Guest_Pssst..(I work for EA)_*

Guest_Pssst..(I work for EA)_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:19 AM

We can discuss this all day long, but we're not actually aware of the final product in either game properly.. only what they'd both like to achieve. It's hard to judge either game until you have played them both.

They're both heading in the right direction for market purposes in my opinion though. However, sometimes winning the race for release doesn't always make you the winner..

Dude..this game isn't even close to being done.....my guess is 20%

#31 Joe Habiger

Joe Habiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • LocationCoon Rapids, MN

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:26 AM

;)

Yeah well so could PP..  :D

• AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
  • Sapphire Nitro+ SE AMD Radeon 6800XT
  • G.Skill Trident Z Royal RGB 16GB DDR4-3600
  • Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen 4 PCIe M.2
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD M.2 NVMe
  • Samsung 850 EVO 512GB SSD
  • Sound Blaster ZX Soundcard
  • EVGA 750 Gold Power Supply
  • Fractal Design Meshify S2 Case
  • Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R
  • "43 inch Vizio 4k Monitor

#32 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:37 AM

;)

I think it's nice to make it easy to design courses, but more to allow non-famous courses to be done. The terrain importer is critical.

I'd still play my local courses even if they were only 6 out of 10 jobs, but a fictional course would have to be a 9 or 10. It'd be an insult to course architects if a procedural course generator could easily lead to 9 or 10 courses, even with touch up editing.

#33 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:04 AM

What the HB guys are doing, regarding their Course Creator is definitely new and ground breaking (to an extent). It already has us discussing it, so it is of interest. How well it performs will be hard to judge, as well as the repeatability across several users. I have no doubt there will be bugs too, with perhaps the odd planting issue or the odd user failing to adjust something. But there will likely be several people who will flourish using it. The old sine curve shows we'll see good as well as bad..

One of those questions for some thoughts... when you gain a new Golf game, do you enjoy the stock courses that come with the game, or do you enjoy playing User Created Courses more ?

I remember some old Links days with Kapulua, Entrada, Valderrama etc.. they were decent courses to enjoy, but I wouldn't say they were all 8/10 or better. They were stock courses included with the game. When the user created courses began appearing, there were some similar quality releases... but there were ones that shone too. Without that ability to take any Course Creator to the extreme, then you're often playing similar courses laid out differently. The direction we're heading here, with Unity, isn't one that's likely to hold this game back. I can't be sure the HB Studio's game can compete with that over time.

#34 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:39 AM

Possibly. The creator we see in the video might just be their dumbed down one. They may supply a set of helper assets for Unity for more serious developments. The screenshot I posted earlier might suggest that, or it could just be showing the design of their creator.

I personally like the way PP have avoided a standalone app. The Unity interface might scare people at first compared to Club Golf's, but if you can't get over that, you're not going to create a nice course anyway.  

#35 AndyJumbo

AndyJumbo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:00 AM

Dude...please wake up and see that this game...pp..( which I have followed for the last 6 months) ...May...may never happen. The trailers I saw are so generic...this game is not even close to a release. I honestly give this another year,..or more.. By that time it might be outdated

You're cool Man, lol
I'm following this game too and i'm a positive person anyway i was talking about the Golf Pro video that JCat04 shared in here,
unfortunately my english sucks and next time i'll try my best to write the correct words to make all you understand my words!
however i hope PG won't be outdated.
Cheers

#36 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:49 PM

"The difficulty mode is the courses you decide to play.
I'm against them to be honest as it skews the online leaderboards, but it's worth investigating" 

If they go this route it will be sad. There is no way to cater for all players with one difficulty level.

It does look real fine and shows what can be achieved with Unity ;)

Intel Core i5-6600 CPU 3.3 GHz       Geforce GTX 1060        16GB  RAM       Windows 10 64 bit

Hazyview  (600m above sea level)    --   Nautilus Bay  (Revamp done)  --  Cape Fear  (TGC  adaptation)  --  Aloe Ridge  --  Nahoon Reef GC  --  Chambers Bay 

Abel's Crossing  --  Solitude Links GC

#37 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:24 PM

Yeah well so could PP..   :D

Correct. I never claimed otherwise. I was just making reference to this new game, seeing as that is what the thread was about.

;)

#38 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:35 PM

Food for thought? What about a run for pp's money? Or the nail in the coffin?

What's up, got fed up with the 'Mystery Man' moniker?

I'm sure it will give PP a run for it's money. Hard to say about 'nail in the coffin' as 'The Golf Club' hasn't actually been released yet either (but obviously you are the know it all of the golf world). Why don't you go and offer your services to HB Studios, seeing as you are that negative about PP ever seeing a release.

Oh, and why do you feel the need to have to like your own posts?

;)

• Davefevs likes this

#39 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:40 PM

Not saying you're wrong - nor insisting that I'm right, Acrilix. And if the HB thing rocks and the PP thing, well, doesn't, I will gladly eat a double helping of crow and glibly shift my focus over to them. From the look and feel of that demo video, though, I think that they are after the same demographic as EA, the more casual couch players with their consoles. So I tend to think that, as always, the separation of the global golf game market into Arcade/Console and PC/Sim will persist - with PP being very well positioned for the PC/Sim half. Maybe HB's game is exactly the right one for you, Acrilix, considering your reluctance to dabble with Unity for private reasons (Hope things have improved). In which case I will be happy for you and wish you endless hours of perfect fun.

We've all seen a few iterations of "Now is the right time to release" moments, and back in the day I did join in the choir of the ASAP people, too: When TWO closed down, it was the right time. When EA annoucned there would be no TW14, it was the right time. When WGT (several times) annoyed the heck out of their members with some new gimmicks or pesky algorithms  it was the right time. And just a couple weeks ago, when GolfStar closed down and their follow up game was announced, again, once more, it was the right time… It's always the right time for PerfectGolf - and it's never the right time.

The right time will be when it's ready, whenever that may be.

And all things will be what they are, anyway. Good to see something happening after years of stale and mediocre computer golfing fare. That makes us, the players, the most likely winners in all of this.

• JCat04 likes this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#40 Mick-S

Mick-S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationDevon.u.k / born London

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:40 PM

looks quite good, of course for me it`s all about gameplay, lets hope they release a demo.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users