Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 28 November 2015 - 11:55 PM

Yea, I remember those days Daz. I think I bought every course

that was available! The floppies are long gone, but I still have a

bunch of the free bag tags given with each course purchased.

#102 jt83

jt83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 11:56 PM

I'd even prefer a subscription based model over using DLC content (but keep it low).

I wouldn't.  DLC for a game like this is not a ripoff like it is in other titles.  The idea of 'subscribing' to a game...I find that as odious as you find the concept of DLC.

#103 sirputterman

sirputterman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 12:02 AM

Here is the difference though between PP designing and releasing a course and those that make courses as a hobby. PP takes all the heat especially legally if some company or golf club gets their knickers in a knot. It is after all PP's design etc therefore to take into account for such possibilities they should charge for LICENSED courses after all it is an added expense for them.

EA and Headgate Studios came out with the Course Architect for the TW series I think starting in 05, no later then 06 but it was free to use and the stipulation was no one could make courses for a fee or charge for courses. I honestly don't think EA realized the amount of courses or how popular this would be. I think they felt that a few would dabble with it and never make the courses open to the public. They couldn't have been more wrong.  Course downloads.com has over 31,000 members even though there has been no new TW pc (no I do not include TWO) since 08, for the 08 game alone they have over 1500 user created courses all for free.  They have over 4000 user created courses overall and about 1500 user created libraries. Now that is saying something. 

Honestly the success of the TW PC heavily can be attributed to all of these free courses. Sure some were bad to even really bad but as with anything the designers that stuck with it  they got good and some got really good. Again though no one saw a dime for it. 

As I first said I think PP should charge a reasonable  price for the Licensed courses but the user created ones should be free. I can remember the days when TW was in its prime and a new course would appear every few days and  sometimes more then one  a day would pop up. It kept the game from going stale as each course is a new adventure. You can have the greatest golf game ever made but if you have only a few tracks to play it will get old fairly quick.

Tbh I find myself getting bored with this game simply because of lack of new courses to try. I still play TW08 mainly because of that reason. I can go and check out a new course on a fairly regular basis and explore all its nuances. Some are good and some not so much, but what the heck it didn't cost me a dime to check it out. That is why I still have a very soft spot for TW08. It has nothing to do with how good or bad the game is. It is the fun of loading up a new course with a friend and having some laughs. That to me is the appeal of any golf game, having fun with friends.           

• worrybirdie likes this

#104 nightowl

nightowl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 12:25 AM

What's the difference between PP releasing a licensed course and PP releasing a real course under a pseudonym?  Will one be any different than the other?

#105 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 12:34 AM

What's the difference between PP releasing a licensed course and PP releasing a real course under a pseudonym?  Will one be any different than the other?

With the first, they get to use the name and have the actual buildings and other, perhaps proprietary stuff.  With the 2nd, they need to tread carefully so they don't get sued.

Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

#106 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 12:36 AM

nightowl, I've wondered the same thing.  The pseudonym courses look to be very accurate renderings.  

Maybe licensing lets them sell the courses, whereas it might be illegal to sell things like Bebble Peach and Hinepurst Deux.  

If this were true though, I'm not sure how they can include pseudonym courses packaged in an Early Access that is being sold?  Maybe an agreement was reached with those courses beforehand.  

#107 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 12:49 AM

nightowl, I've wondered the same thing.  The pseudonym courses look to be very accurate renderings.  

Maybe licensing lets them sell the courses, whereas it might be illegal to sell things like Bebble Peach and Hinepurst Deux.  

If this were true though, I'm not sure how they can include pseudonym courses packaged in an Early Access that is being sold?  Maybe an agreement was reached with those courses beforehand.  

It has to do with artistic license.

#108 worrybirdie

worrybirdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  • LocationPismo Beach, California

Posted 29 November 2015 - 01:08 AM

Which is why they had to use that model. The internet didn't exist yet. As I remember Nicklaus Golf was one of the first games where user designed courses were made available online for free. I know this because I designed several courses that were available on that site (forgive me if my memory is failing me...it was the late 80's...though I still can't seem to forget disco!).

#109 Richard

Richard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBismarck, ND

Posted 29 November 2015 - 01:28 AM

Which is why they had to use that model. The internet didn't exist yet. As I remember Nicklaus Golf was one of the first games where user designed courses were made available online for free. I know this because I designed several courses that were available on that site (forgive me if my memory is failing me...it was the late 80's...though I still can't seem to forget disco!).

Your memory is failing, Disco was in the 70's, LOL but than again, you're close enough for 'government work'.

Richard

Posted Image

#110 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 01:37 AM

Your memory is failing, Disco was in the 70's, LOL but than again, you're close enough for 'government work'.

Ah, Disco, makes me think of Donna Summer, being 18 on Newport Beach in California, girls in bikinis..... what we're we talking about again?

#111 Richard

Richard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBismarck, ND

Posted 29 November 2015 - 01:40 AM

Ah, Disco, makes me think of Donna Summer, being 18 on Newport Beach in California, girls in bikinis..... what we're we talking about again?

Oh, memories of 3 years, why in the hell did I ever leave. Maybe that's why some refer to me as 'Richard, Dumbshit', :P

• Crow357 likes this
Richard

Posted Image

#112 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 29 November 2015 - 02:00 AM

The disco's gone but the girls are still there.. Of course not the same girls. lol

• Crow357 likes this

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#113 sirputterman

sirputterman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 03:04 AM

It has to do with artistic license.

I think you are spot on with that assessment. The same thing with TW courses having real names. The difference in what  the licensed version of a course may not be glaring but the user created ones will not have official signage or logos etc. So they are an "interpretation" of the real course. Licensed courses have more bells and whistles and while both may be very close to the same as far as play-ability goes there is enough of a difference to keep your behind out of a court room. Besides as I said with TW there was no money involved so not nearly as appealing to go through the hassle of suing someone over it. A Licensed product though can be made available for a fee. That is part of the licensing fee. We played some of the most renown courses not only in the US but all over the world and not paid a cent doing so. That as I said is why the TW pc game was so popular for such an extended period of time. It had nothing to do with EA but all the  people that gave back to the community so many great courses to enjoy for free.  Tbh EA tried to squash the user made courses with the launch of the  08 game as they changed how courses could be installed. Far more tech savvy people then me made their own installer and the course creating community thrived extremely well thank you very much. That is the ironic thing about the 08 game, It could have been the  worse game  of the series  and  would not have been probably remembered shortly after because of what EA had  tried to do. Instead thanks to the TW community though its what turned out to be their crown jewel of the series despite what EA  had done. Go figure.           

• MERACE likes this

#114 worrybirdie

worrybirdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  • LocationPismo Beach, California

Posted 29 November 2015 - 03:46 AM

Didn't mean to link the two timeframes together...I realize that disco really started in 1977 with the release of "Saturday Night Fever", but it continued to spew its intolerable effluence into the early 80's.

Good dancing music though. :D

And I must agree with sirputterman, and it could be a good model for the success of PG. The game kept constantly fresh by an active and creative community.

#115 nightowl

nightowl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 04:31 AM

Earlier, Daz asked about having better reflections.  It remains an issue.  Translucence is another glaring omission.  I was cruising through Golden Meadows, enjoying my round.  But then I came to the final two holes.  Up close, the problem with the water reared its ugly head.  Is this the best we can hope for?

http://i.imgur.com/ddbui4x.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/KKOQfSk.jpg

#116 yesrushdt

yesrushdt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 05:33 AM

the user created ones should be free.        

Amen to that. 

I would like to get a definitive answer from Mike or Andrew regarding whether or not there will be a fee to play user created courses.  This will help me decide if I'll ever play PerfectGolf again.  Whatever the case, I will continue playing Tiger Woods 08 and it's quality free courses that come out on a frequent basis.

• worrybirdie likes this

#117 Golden Bear

Golden Bear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 07:49 AM

Amen to that. 

I would like to get a definitive answer from Mike or Andrew regarding whether or not there will be a fee to play user created courses.  This will help me decide if I'll ever play PerfectGolf again.  Whatever the case, I will continue playing Tiger Woods 08 and it's quality free courses that come out on a frequent basis.

TW 08 has quality anything?  Hmmmm

I am more than happy to pay to play since nothing in life is free nor realistically can be anymore.

#118 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 02:56 PM

TW 08 has quality anything? Hmmmm

I am more than happy to pay to play since nothing in life is free nor realistically can be anymore.

Makes zero sense. Whether you like the game or not, TGC has tons of free courses for you to enjoy. Other games with map editors also have free content. User made courses in PG should be the same.
  • worrybirdie likes this

#119 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 01 December 2015 - 03:24 PM

Still have those old 5" floppies,

and the 3" ones, along with all the 

boxes, scorecards, bag tags, etc..

Not sure why I keep them, but they do

bring back some fond memories when

I dig them out.

6rmm4xK.jpg

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#120 Charles

Charles

RTSM forever!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • LocationHolland, Europe.

Posted 01 December 2015 - 05:13 PM

Bethesda looks stunning. Will gladly pay for it. P2P courses is nothing new. In Links too we had this, and without exception, all were absolutely fantastic designs. If the price is right (anywere between 5 and 10 bucks?) I don't see any problems really. And I'm shure there will be plenty of beautiful courses for free, just like in Links..

RTSM / Pro / In the bag: D,3/7W,1H,5i-60W,P.

* Favorite Designers: Skunky - DoGgs - RobC - IanK - PGA Pro - Gary Norman - DrTwist - Bortimus -

DPRoberts - High Fade - Classic Renditions - Matt Rose - Mikahenrik and ... Mike Jones! *

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect.

It is at the same time rewarding and maddening - and without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented".

= Arnold Palmer =

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users