#61 Hickory

Hickory

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationNew Brunswick, Canada

Posted 28 November 2015 - 12:15 AM

Just wondering Hickory, could you post a screenshot of your in game graphics set up? Looking at your signature I would like to compare it to mine etc. Much obliged.

Got the URL to copy on my iPad. Here's the screenshot of my graphics settings:

10yqt8x.jpg

ASUS GL502VM; i7-7700HQ @ 2.80 GHz; 12GB RAM; Win 10 64 bit; 275 GB SATA-III SSD; 1TB HD; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060, 3GB; PCI Express x16

#62 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 28 November 2015 - 12:20 AM

H,

I would suggest first off to change your view distance and also cut the detail levels back a bit for your trees. I play with setting at either 2500 or 3000 on my PC and courses look fine.

Looking at your setup, I would try 2000 or maybe 1500 and see how that goes. In the end it is all about tinkering and tweaking, but you certainly don't need 5000 view distance as you are getting the scene to draw unnecessary objects.

These are my current settings and games runs great on my PC and also looks good.

aTf6ZFq.png

#63 Hickory

Hickory

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 12:28 AM

H,

I would suggest first off to change your view distance. I play with setting at either 2500 or 3000 on my PC and courses look fine.

Looking at your setup, I would try 2000 or maybe 1500 and see how that goes. In the end it is all about tinkering and tweaking, but you certainly don't need 5000 view distance as you are getting the scene to draw unnecessary objects.

This was my settings from about 4 months ago, but I tweak as I go when new builds come around so have slightly tweaked this since.

GZvbUGk.jpg

Thanks Das
I'll give those settings a try.

ASUS GL502VM; i7-7700HQ @ 2.80 GHz; 12GB RAM; Win 10 64 bit; 275 GB SATA-III SSD; 1TB HD; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060, 3GB; PCI Express x16

#64 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 28 November 2015 - 12:32 AM

Hopefully you might also see a greater boost in FPS when using PRoS on the meter, which will allow for an even smoother swing experience.

Mine often boosts the standard scene FPS by 6 or 7 times when PRoS activates, often running well over 250FPS when swinging.

PS. I've edited my earlier post to show my current settings, which might be better suited for you to try.

#65 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 12:50 AM

The tree settings need to be turned down, you have maxed them all out and will be drawing a very high number of polygons and you don't have the machine specs to support that. I'd be surprised if you get more than 10fps at those settings.

Try turning the settings down 'lol' to ultra high and I'm sure you will get a lot more enjoyment out of the game.

• worrybirdie likes this

#66 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 01:01 AM

I have just upgraded to Win 10 today as well. I don't know about uploading URL's but it has certainly smoothed out a wrinkle or two within PG IMO.

Oh, yeah, as an OS, MS has a pretty great product, it's been their browsers through the years that've sucked so bad.

Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

#67 Hickory

Hickory

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 01:04 AM

The tree settings need to be turned down, you have maxed them all out and will be drawing a very high number of polygons and you don't have the machine specs to support that. I'd be surprised if you get more than 10fps at those settings.

Try turning the settings down 'lol' to ultra high and I'm sure you will get a lot more enjoyment out of the game.

Seriously?  General Settings should go to ultra high?  Wouldn't that be turning the settings up? :huh:

#68 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 01:21 AM

Seriously?  General Settings should go to ultra high?  Wouldn't that be turning the settings up? :huh:

You have customized your settings far beyond Ultra High. 

#69 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 02:31 AM

I would turn off the anti aliasing and knock the draw distance down to about 2000 meters. That should dramatically improve things. Oh, change the tree detail down to two and medium.

See how it runs that way. Get fraps to look at your frame rate. I think you'll find you can perhaps turn up the shadows and perhaps the anti aliasing as well. Try to keep the frame rate somewhere north of 30.
Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

#70 worrybirdie

worrybirdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  • LocationPismo Beach, California

Posted 28 November 2015 - 05:20 AM

Back to the topic. I'm not against paying a small fee for a course (actually I am). However I hope that the success of this game will be built upon them making the greatest golf game ever, and somehow coming up with a way of courses being disseminated for free by the community out there. The initial model should be  to make the game irresistible to as many people as possible out there, not to milk the money out of the few loyal followers you have now.

#71 jt83

jt83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 05:54 AM

I'm not against paying a small fee for a course (actually I am).

Sorry, I had to chuckle there.

#72 Vernon520

Vernon520

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • LocationWestcliff-on-Sea, Essex. U.K

Posted 28 November 2015 - 10:19 AM

Back to the topic. I'm not against paying a small fee for a course (actually I am). However I hope that the success of this game will be built upon them making the greatest golf game ever, and somehow coming up with a way of courses being disseminated for free by the community out there. The initial model should be  to make the game irresistible to as many people as possible out there, not to milk the money out of the few loyal followers you have now.

Many games offer add ons, upgrades and DLC's and they all charge for them. Let us not forget that PP are running a business here, not a charity. 

Without continuous funding, there is a danger that the game could suffer from further development or delays and even the possibility that it could be shelved all together.

If you do not want to pay for these sort of things, then you have the option not too but I find it incredulous, that you could even suggest that PP is somehow intent on using our love and enjoyment for the game, just to get money out of us.

You need to do some research I feel, into just how much it costs to develop a game like this and then you may change your mind.

• Golden Bear, Carl_Spackler and SReesor like this

#73 Charles

Charles

RTSM forever!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • LocationHolland, Europe.

Posted 28 November 2015 - 12:43 PM

Okay! Many thanks Hickory, Daz, Mike, Crow, for this input! Very interesting. For 'low-end' users a usefull insight. My current set-up looks like this but I will tweak further on this based on your comments.

sowu8w.jpg

RTSM / Pro / In the bag: D,3/7W,1H,5i-60W,P.

* Favorite Designers: Skunky - DoGgs - RobC - IanK - PGA Pro - Gary Norman - DrTwist - Bortimus -

DPRoberts - High Fade - Classic Renditions - Matt Rose - Mikahenrik and ... Mike Jones! *

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect.

It is at the same time rewarding and maddening - and without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented".

= Arnold Palmer =

#74 Golden Bear

Golden Bear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 01:04 PM

Many games offer add ons, upgrades and DLC's and they all charge for them. Let us not forget that PP are running a business here, not a charity. 

Without continuous funding, there is a danger that the game could suffer from further development or delays and even the possibility that it could be shelved all together.

If you do not want to pay for these sort of things, then you have the option not too but I find it incredulous, that you could even suggest that PP is somehow intent on using our love and enjoyment for the game, just to get money out of us.

You need to do some research I feel, into just how much it costs to develop a game like this and then you may change your mind.

100% in agreement with all you posted.

• Vernon520 likes this

#75 DriverDivots

DriverDivots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 02:47 PM

So this course comes out 12/1, correct?

#76 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 03:58 PM

So this course comes out 12/1, correct?

No, the info is just placeholders as we're still working on the course atm.

• DriverDivots likes this

#77 sirputterman

sirputterman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 05:28 PM

I certainly have no issue paying for licensed courses as long as the price is reasonable. As it has been mentioned PP is not a charity so to expect everything to come out of their pocket is not reasonable. That said the sooner a price point is established for dlc courses the quicker it ends the speculation. Mike mentioned that 24.99 was too much and it would be a "fraction of the price" but what fraction? 3/4, 1/2,1/4? I'm sure that PP must have a figure in mind or else why release any info before hand? 

The uncertainty of a price point only opens Pandora's box for assumptions and we all know what happens when people assume things. Nip it in the bud and just announce the pricing to expect and be done with it. That way it is up to the individual's choice whether to buy or  not. 

While it may be a low price point I think 4.99 a pop it would be well worth it. Yes it may be a tad low as far as margin goes but the more people that buy the more publicity it will bring to PP. It will also show the true potential of course forge and what it can do if you have the talent and the patience to work with it. Going to say a price point of 9.99 may make some hesitate or not even consider it. This means less sales and less known about how good PP can be.

My theory especially of dlc is to make it really attractive to the market and at a price point that 90% will not even consider it being a bad deal. Get the volume out there especially for a new game and entice even more people to buy the game. High price point dlc just does the opposite as anyone new to the game may get scared off with the added expense of the dlc. 

It's  the big picture  that PP has to look at and to make the game as attractive as possible to new potential customers again being relatively  "the new kid on the block" Sure the margins may be small with low dlc at first  but the more that get hooked that margin will increase over time yet the price point will not need to change but it will be the sheer volume that will.

Just my thoughts and of course I'm just one person but that is how I look at it anyways.    

#78 MERACE

MERACE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 05:51 PM

I agree with sirputterman. However, if user created courses will be allowed to be paid DLC then I think $.99 would be the sweet spot that would encourage an impulse purchase. Licensed courses would also be more appealing at a $2.99 price point.

-MERACE

#79 sirputterman

sirputterman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 06:08 PM

I agree with sirputterman. However, if user created courses will be allowed to be paid DLC then I think $.99 would be the sweet spot that would encourage an impulse purchase. Licensed courses would also be more appealing at a $2.99 price point.

-MERACE

2.99 is a tad low ( not that I would complain) as far as paying for user created courses not sure how that would fly. Too easy to have someone create a "real " course and name it AH gusty" or something and open a firestorm of possible law suits. TW pc  gets away with making  real knock offs because no  one makes a dime from doing so. Thus not as much incentive for some legal eagle to come swooping in. Most designers that I know are not looking to get a monetary compensation for their efforts they just want everyone to dl and appreciate the work they put into the course. Think of how bad it could get if someone bought a user made course even for a buck and they didn't like it and demanded their money back? PP would either have to eat it or the designer would. Yikes that would get ugly real fast.

• worrybirdie likes this

#80 sirputterman

sirputterman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 06:25 PM

Perhaps a better way to do it would be to have user created courses for free but PP could in return offer a good designer that produced say even 5 popular or good courses a discount on Pro Shop purchases. PP wins by having well made user courses for free. Community wins because they have these  better quality courses to enjoy. Designers wins because not only does he get the satisfaction of people playing their courses but also gets a discount to buy more things in the game. PP then wins again because even though the designer is getting a discount he may be using it to buy more items that they wouldn't normally purchase otherwise. A perfect circle of everybody wins or in theory it would be anyways. 

Those designers that do not get the discount due to perhaps a not top quality course would have even more incentive to improve so they too get in on the bonus discounts. Again thus benefiting the members with even more quality courses  and PP with more potential pro shop sales all at the same time.  

• MERACE and worrybirdie like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users