#81 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:23 PM

Response to Bruce, two posts above:

Yes, Bruce - you got the point and that's the singlemost point I had great trouble wrapping my mind around for so long, too. And that's why I do understand the slightest hint of irritation in you question, because PP has not shown due diligence in elucidating this little aspect and all its implications. No biggie, just would have been nice to have a clearer understanding about it earlier.

If the Unity terrain were a skin, then the CF meshes are acting and behaving like a band-aid stuck on the skin. At a recommended distance of 15cms above (that's about 6 inches). The meshes run absolutely parallel to all the contours of the terrain, match all its bends and slopes and creases exactly. But they are NOT, let me calmly point that out once for all again, NOT part of the terrain.

Your overhead texture can be tarted up, but only for all the areas of which you know already that they will not be covered by CF meshes - everything outside the green-to-rough areas of your plot, which will basically be the visible part of the Unity terrain. Even then, you would need a truly massive overhead file with huge resolution to get a good result, and since these areas are the Unity terrain itself, you can go wild with the terrain paint brushes and add textures with them. 

What you can do now to prep your terrain for CF is to sort out all the terrain elevation, all the hills and vales, all the minute bumps of your holes, all the pits where bunkers will be placed etc. The CF meshes will cover them up, but match all the elevations you have already prepared.

Here's an old picture of mine. Note how the prepped terrain with the cliffs and the silly obelisk is waiting for the meshes to applied to the "golf" part of the course. There's still plenty of work to do without the Forge..

AngelFalls1_zps09227b42.jpg

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#82 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:46 PM

Some more pics.

The grid texture I use is just to get a better view when working on the slopes. The green line is my outside shape, so you can just run the spray gun along the line to create a perfect blend between CF and the terrain.

51c0.jpg

h56j.jpg

3fnw.jpg

Intel Core i5-6600 CPU 3.3 GHz       Geforce GTX 1060        16GB  RAM       Windows 10 64 bit

Hazyview  (600m above sea level)    --   Nautilus Bay  (Revamp done)  --  Cape Fear  (TGC  adaptation)  --  Aloe Ridge  --  Nahoon Reef GC  --  Chambers Bay 

Abel's Crossing  --  Solitude Links GC

#83 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:52 PM

Will the ball still be playable off of the Unity terrain as well as the mesh, or will it be OOB? If playable, what properties will be applied - presumably it will have to be a 'one fits all' type, as the game will have no idea of the designer's intended terrain type. This is going to be important info for anyone who is preparing Unity terrain in readiness for CF.

life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#84 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:03 PM

In the documentation it says that a ball ending up on unity terrain (outside the CF meshes) will automatically be treated as being played from a "rough" lie. 

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

<<<<<

#85 Brucey Mc

Brucey Mc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationTeesside, UK #UTB

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:07 PM

Thanks for your great reply K, I have done a few meshes and some of them have suffered from the stepped ridge effect that some of your very early terrains suffered from. Does course forge get over this by just smoothing over between the two levels?

#86 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:39 PM

This is great guys... alot easier to understand now we get the skin and plaster image in our heads.. :)

As for the OOB areas, as mentioned previously, I hope it does arrive. It would seem easy to include regarding either making it a shape to include around the hole itself or simply making it any unity terrain. Hope that does get into the release.

Adriaan, your last few images are great to see and appreciate. However, I'm personally thinking they deserve a pothole bunker or two...

#87 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:40 PM

@Bruce.

No it does not. Anything pertaining to the terrain geometry - slopes, ridges, stepped ridges - is being dealt with by the Unity terrain. The CF copies the terrain scrupulously, but there is no smoothing or any other terrain editing function attached to the meshes.

The stepped ridges are probably because your height map is a bit too crisp. Run a gaussian blur over it in Photoshop and they will get reduced. The gaussion blur in PS has exactly the same effect as the Smooth Brush in Unity, though. If the ridges are low enough and close together to each other, your can wipe them out with it in a few go's if you set that brush to max.

@IanD

Patience. It does fell like we've been here forever, but everything is still in the beginning. Rome wasn't built in a day.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#88 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:11 PM

Adriaan, your last few images are great to see and appreciate. However, I'm personally thinking they deserve a pothole bunker or two...

Ian, I agree.  

The texture layers system isn't streamlined at the moment. Everytime you load CF it jumps back to the default settings including the bunker lip details. For now all the bunkers are using the same settings, so if I change one it changes all. :o 

Intel Core i5-6600 CPU 3.3 GHz       Geforce GTX 1060        16GB  RAM       Windows 10 64 bit

Hazyview  (600m above sea level)    --   Nautilus Bay  (Revamp done)  --  Cape Fear  (TGC  adaptation)  --  Aloe Ridge  --  Nahoon Reef GC  --  Chambers Bay 

#89 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:16 PM

FFI Bruce, you can blend your overhead image with the detail textures in CF in fact we do that a lot on our courses and it can have some great effects.

#90 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:41 PM

@K11, earlier You use the term  "recalculate the meshes" is that the same thing as Optimizing? 

I have seen the same thing as you call it "mesh salad" when you reach 65,000 points in the TW's CA.. Don't know if you work with points on the mesh in CF/Unity or not? When the mesh gets so close as in your earlier pick of the "mesh salad", you would optimize the texture to clean that up...

Sorry for not quoting the earlier "mesh salad" topic on the previous page...

Thanks

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#91 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:25 PM

axe, I don't know what you mean by Optimizing - I have no experience whatsoever with TW CA. All I can say is that if I move the control points defining the outline of the shape, then calculate the mesh (there's a button for that), the grid points of that mesh are being adapted to the new outline and to the verts of their neighbouring meshes.

There is a 65K limit on verts per mesh in CF as well. The vert count of the mesh is defined by the settings of the mesh: distance of meters between control points can be preset, as well as the number of line bends between the conrol points.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#92 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:34 PM

Ahh Ok, thanks K11....

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#93 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:38 PM

To give and idea of time, this par 3 took about 1 hr and I'm obviously no expert. There are naturally still a lot of fine tuning to be done. ;)

ah8j.jpg

y0xz.jpg

• Unique and Davefevs like this

#94 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 05:16 PM

I want to play this course HighFade!!

#95 Brucey Mc

Brucey Mc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationTeesside, UK #UTB

Posted 02 February 2014 - 05:29 PM

We all want Course Forge Mike!!  :)

• Davefevs likes this

#96 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 05:35 PM

Green landscaping:

Attached Files

• highfade and Davefevs like this

#97 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 02 February 2014 - 05:38 PM

I'm liking a lot about this so far... The elevations work is looking like it's going to awesome.. Also the way that wall blends right into the terrain ever so smooth. Was a HUGE hassle with the TW's CA... Love it!!!!

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#98 Davefevs

Davefevs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:33 PM

I want to play this course HighFade!!

One hour to build.....one shot to ruin ones scorecard!

Nice work Highfade (again)

#99 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:36 PM

To give and idea of time, this par 3 took about 1 hr and I'm obviously no expert.

It shows lol....  ;) 

#100 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:26 AM

May I ask, what enhancements/updates you guys would like to see in the next build...?

From either perhaps cosmetic to functionality..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users