Photo

Season pass - paying to play user made courses ?

• Please log in to reply
412 replies to this topic

#1 bobbywins22

bobbywins22

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 11:33 AM

This subject deffo needs a separate thread.I'm very disapointed with PP at the mo regarding the pay for user created courses issue.The fact that they haven't made a statement over this debate is not good PR with its current user base.I know its each to his own but I personally certainly will not not be paying for user courses and I know a lot of you are saying I'll pay for this and I'll pay for that but have you stopped to consider those who are on a tight budget- I'll bet you haven't.I haven't got a problem paying for courses that PP have created to help fund the devs- I'm all for that-but to start charging for user courses Is a deffo no no for me.With this in mind I will stop playing PG until a decision(hopefully the right one or PP will lose a lot of players present and future).For now its TGC get me out of here.
Ps- the person who said TGC is snoozingly boring or words to that effect needs to try and say that to the huge and loyal fan base it has accumulated including myself- very disrespectful comment.

#2 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 11:55 AM

Oh dear... 7 posts at the time of posting and lusting for a brawl.

"I'm overreacting to a rumour, then accuse PG on the spur of the moment and without my argument being based on facts, project my fears into a complete speculation, end up chastising a complete stranger without backing this up with a quote from him and, just for good measure, threaten to leave this place for their imaginary rival. Oh yeah, that'll teach them!"

I do agree that PP ought to comment about this, though. Until then I suggest restraint. And perhaps a few rounds at Willow Heath or Black Swan - they did not affect your tight budget, hm? 

• JoeF, fungolfer, Richard and 10 others like this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#3 Golden Bear

Golden Bear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 12:10 PM

"I'm overreacting to a rumour, then accuse PG on the spur of the moment and without my argument being based on facts, project my fears into a complete speculation, end up chastising a complete stranger without backing this up with a quote from him and, just for good measure, threaten to leave this place for their imaginary rival. Oh yeah, that'll teach them!"

I do agree that PP ought to comment about this, though. Until then I suggest restraint. And perhaps a few rounds at Willow Heath or Black Swan - they did not affect your tight budget, hm? 

LOL  Two thumbs up!

#4 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 12:23 PM

Yeah, besides Black and Willow, maybe someone should tell him about Shadowlands and Crystal Pines.  Those two are, "gasp", user made courses that he's, (Oh Noes) paid for on a tight budget.

If you're on a tight budget, you'd better be turning off that $50/mo internet access bill first before worrying about a $5/mo subscription fee.

• ed dawson and granite00 like this
Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

#5 Trath

Trath

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 03 December 2015 - 12:25 PM

Many people continue to confuse and confound me around these topics. The things they say contradict each other. The fact that they agree to buy a virtual golf game and then apply some arbitrary logic to determine the extent of further virtual purchases, based primarily on that fact that they exist in "real life", without applying other more meaningful quality criteria to determine cost defies logic (and can only be explained as throw hands in the air humanity?).

Why can't companies exist (3rd party or not etc) that sell virtual top quality golf courses or virtual golfing accessories (or virtual anythings). Surely this would add value and quality products to the golfing community (that PP doesn't have the resources to build)? The price of so many goods or services today are based on the value placed on creating amazing user experiences. If you enjoy your experience you will be back for more. I can't see how this is any different in game or in "real life".

... and everyone is free to buy what they want to.

• SReesor likes this

Asus ROG Maximus Gene - i7 4790k @ 4.7ghz - Radeon R9 FURY - 16 gigs ram - Antec 750W Gold PSU - Samsung EVO 840 250 gig SSD - LG 29UM67 Monitor - Logitech G502 mouse

#6 brokenclub

brokenclub

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 12:56 PM

Dozen courses, getting terrain and course forge, game contiunes to improve, over 400 hrs of use in over 5 months, and they have the nerve to charge me $20. could have  pissed that $20 away on a six pack and cigarettes.

• sideshowbob and Charles like this

#7 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 01:16 PM

It always seems that the those who contribute the least on this forum moan the most. I get a bit fed up with these people who grow their toys out of the pram because the game isn't proceeding exactly as they wish.
All I know is that PG is one of the best games I have ever owned and I'm having fantastic fun playing the game and testing CF.

• ed dawson and Charles like this
Steam Name: n.bonaparte
WWG1WGA

#8 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 03 December 2015 - 01:25 PM

I have no issue with designers who wish to charge for their work. The problem for me is if people have to pay a subscription merely to have access to 'free' courses, and this is what was implied by the image that was released on the official site. This will cause a lot of resentment and a split in the community and will ultimately lead to bad user reviews which will in turn impact upon sales of the game. Initially at least, I think it is far more important to develop a large user base to ensure the continued success of PG rather than turning it into a niche, 'elitist' game.

The thing that made TW08, Links 2003, and currently TGC a success, was the availability of large numbers of free, easily accessible user created courses. A paid subscription necessary to access these would have seriously curtailed their success.

• Stephen Sullivan, nightowl, MERACE and 3 others like this
life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#9 Charles

Charles

RTSM forever!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • LocationHolland, Europe.

Posted 03 December 2015 - 02:05 PM

I'm sorry, but anyone who has taken a look over at TGC and the courses there, knows they just are not in the same league as the PG ones. And PG is just learning to walk! Once this game is full blown in your face, it will blow the comp away. But, saying that, I guess everybody has a right to play (and pay for) whatever they want. It's a free country. If TGC is your thing, go happy. Just my 2c.

RTSM / Pro / In the bag: D,3/7W,1H,5i-60W,P.

* Favorite Designers: Skunky - DoGgs - RobC - IanK - PGA Pro - Gary Norman - DrTwist - Bortimus -

DPRoberts - High Fade - Classic Renditions - Matt Rose - Mikahenrik and ... Mike Jones! *

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect.

It is at the same time rewarding and maddening - and without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented".

= Arnold Palmer =

#10 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 03:18 PM

This subject deffo needs a separate thread.I'm very disapointed with PP at the mo regarding the pay for user created courses issue.The fact that they haven't made a statement over this debate is not good PR with its current user base.I know its each to his own but I personally certainly will not not be paying for user courses and I know a lot of you are saying I'll pay for this and I'll pay for that but have you stopped to consider those who are on a tight budget- I'll bet you haven't.I haven't got a problem paying for courses that PP have created to help fund the devs- I'm all for that-but to start charging for user courses Is a deffo no no for me.With this in mind I will stop playing PG until a decision(hopefully the right one or PP will lose a lot of players present and future).For now its TGC get me out of here.
Ps- the person who said TGC is snoozingly boring or words to that effect needs to try and say that to the huge and loyal fan base it has accumulated including myself- very disrespectful comment.

Not sure you can even make that sort of comment really...!

#11 Nukelaloosh44

Nukelaloosh44

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 03:27 PM

If paying $4.99 allows for a better experience and higher quality user created courses....I'm willing to pay, as I think the game is worth it. My concern for a pay-per-month system is that MANY people will not pay it, thus eliminating potential community members that would make the game better in the long run. I suspect only the "hard core" golf sim enthusiasts would actually subscribe to such a service.

#12 frank70

frank70

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 December 2015 - 03:35 PM

If paying $4.99 allows for a better experience and higher quality user created courses....I'm willing to pay, as I think the game is worth it. My concern for a pay-per-month system is that MANY people will not pay it, thus eliminating potential community members that would make the game better in the long run. I suspect only the "hard core" golf sim enthusiasts would actually subscribe to such a service.

This is my concern as well. It's not that the updates and new courses wouldn't be worth the 4,99 $ - i'm sure they will be. But if the community is divided by this monthly fee from the get go it will be a huge mistake. We need at least double the amount of players to set up big enough tournament fields on all difficulty levels.

But then: There is no official word out there yet, how the course distribution is handled and what will be included exactly with the 4,99 $ fee. Maybe it is about time for Mike and Andrew to make a final decision and communicate it in order to end these speculations. 

• Harald, sirputterman and jimbob59 like this

#13 DennisHarris

DennisHarris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • LocationSummerville SC

Posted 03 December 2015 - 04:13 PM

This is my concern as well. It's not that the updates and new courses wouldn't be worth the 4,99 $ - i'm sure they will be. But if the community is divided by this monthly fee from the get go it will be a huge mistake. We need at least double the amount of players to set up big enough tournament fields on all difficulty levels.

But then: There is no official word out there yet, how the course distribution is handled and what will be included exactly with the 4,99 $ fee. Maybe it is about time for Mike and Andrew to make a final decision and communicate it in order to end these speculations. 

I look at the 4.99 as a monthly subscription fee to utilize the game and the social site, tournaments, and country clubs. I also expect the DLC such as shafts, balls, courses and such to have a separate charge or fee. I doubt any pro shop content would be mandatory to play the base game. You might encounter a downloadable course used in a tournament that you could not play because you didn't purchase it.  I simply see no other way to fund the continued existence of the game.   So I have no problem with a monthly fee. Nor do I see a problem with a cost or fee associated with courses and other add on game items. We need to remember the business side of the game too.

If attributes are associated (buy my scoring) with pro shop items then I would object.  Stiff Shaft, Flexible shaft, high spin balls is not attributes imo.  Something that offers a 3% increase in accuracy or distance is imo an attribute.     

• ✠ davef ✠ likes this

Digital Storm Ryzen 9 3900X/12 core  3.79MHZ/16 gig Ram /  Radeon R5700xt

#14 Rush2112

Rush2112

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 03 December 2015 - 04:51 PM

I have 15 games in my steam account other than pp, ave. price for those 15 games is about $43 each, ave time played those 15 games, 27 hrs. each game.

I paid $20 so far for pp and have 243 hrs played, some quick math in my head = Pretty darn cheap entertainment.

Do I like everything about the game, no, in fact right now I hate it cause it seems to hate me lol, but If I want I can play these same courses for another 243 hrs. without spending another dime. For the math challenged that's about 10 times the value of any other game I own.

#15 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 06:07 PM

I'm sorry, but anyone who has taken a look over at TGC and the courses there, knows they just are not in the same league as the PG ones. And PG is just learning to walk! Once this game is full blown in your face, it will blow the comp away. But, saying that, I guess everybody has a right to play (and pay for) whatever they want. It's a free country. If TGC is your thing, go happy. Just my 2c.

Dont know why people keep bringing TGC into the coversation. And for the record, although I have the game, I dont play it but there is no denying the fact that there are some beautiful designs made by some really talented designers. Many are just wonderfully done given the tools the designers were given.

Overall.. I agree with Acrllix's post. If just the diehards are left which pay the monthly fee, this game will go nowhere.
  • TRCThrobbinhood likes this

#16 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 03 December 2015 - 06:35 PM

Ding, ding, ding, yes indeedy, Bobby Wins, literally, having played the 'tight budget' joker, lol.

Landscaping-Tips-and-Tricks-for-your-Tig

Don't know if he was speaking for himself, but laughable all the same. Wonder if all the big game developers like Electronic Arts take this into account when releasing their games on multi-platform like Rory Golf £55 or Battlefront Star Wars from £49.99 to £94.98 (depending which version you buy). Then releasing new versions at same prices 12-18 months later.

The last thing folks on tight budgets are looking to do is blow money on luxuries. Not saying they shouldn't have them, but they have to make sacrifices when money is tight. Blow money on games and consoles/pc's, no money for gas/electric/heating, supplies cut off, no more gaming, no more house.

Yes, we have guys one here who have openly admitted they aren't flushed for cash, but they budgeted to get PG and other games, but they don't come on the forums playing the 'help me out I'm skint' card.

Also, while on the topic of DLC, just realised that HBS pushed some out in April for £6.99 to upgrade the TGC game to Collectors Edition. How very dare they, charging for DLC, thought it was only PP who did that, lol.

#17 DanielR

DanielR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 03 December 2015 - 06:39 PM

I have 15 games in my steam account other than pp, ave. price for those 15 games is about $43 each, ave time played those 15 games, 27 hrs. each game.

I paid $20 so far for pp and have 243 hrs played, some quick math in my head = Pretty darn cheap entertainment.

Do I like everything about the game, no, in fact right now I hate it cause it seems to hate me lol, but If I want I can play these same courses for another 243 hrs. without spending another dime. For the math challenged that's about 10 times the value of any other game I own.

I agree with your point. Perfect Golf has seen the most hours (especially as of late) in my Steam Library and only at $20 it is the game I've gotten the most value out of. 

I don't mind paying for high end user-created courses like those that were released for Links 2003 back in the day. I don't even mind paying for licensed real courses that are highly detailed and contain the actual name (which is definitely a lot less confusing than the pseudo names that are on our current real courses).

The screenshot that was released is not clear and can be interpreted in more ways than one. We really just have to wait until we have clarification on what exactly what the subscription fee entails and how courses will ultimately be distributed.

#18 bobbywins22

bobbywins22

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 07:09 PM

1.What has the amount of posts got to do with a person who posts a topic?

2.I myself am not on a tight budget-I could quite easily afford a different course fee every day- I was simply implying that people who are less fortunate will find it hard to keep up with these fees if it goes that way.Throwing sarcasm at someone who thinks they are on a tight budget anyway I think is disrespectful.

3.As I said,I am willing to help fund the devs

4.You are right I should of quoted the so called chastised(really) person- I apologize

5.Why am I overreacting to a rumour when its been circulating and PP haven't denied it? (Fact)

6.What's this imaginary rival? - its not about rivalry- when someone makes a moralistic stance why do you like to be sarcastic about it? Have you never made a stance before?
  • worrybirdie likes this

#19 bobbywins22

bobbywins22

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 08:11 PM

Ding, ding, ding, yes indeedy, Bobby Wins, literally, having played the 'tight budget' joker, lol.

Landscaping-Tips-and-Tricks-for-your-Tig

Don't know if he was speaking for himself, but laughable all the same. Wonder if all the big game developers like Electronic Arts take this into account when releasing their games on multi-platform like Rory Golf £55 or Battlefront Star Wars from £49.99 to £94.98 (depending which version you buy). Then releasing new versions at same prices 12-18 months later.

The last thing folks on tight budgets are looking to do is blow money on luxuries. Not saying they shouldn't have them, but they have to make sacrifices when money is tight. Blow money on games and consoles/pc's, no money for gas/electric/heating, supplies cut off, no more gaming, no more house.

Yes, we have guys one here who have openly admitted they aren't flushed for cash, but they budgeted to get PG and other games, but they don't come on the forums playing the 'help me out I'm skint' card.

Also, while on the topic of DLC, just realised that HBS pushed some out in April for £6.99 to upgrade the TGC game to Collectors Edition. How very dare they, charging for DLC, thought it was only PP who did that, lol.

Read my reply to kablamo m8- it also applies to you.My issue is with paying for user created courses and tgc don't charge for that - weather its a better game or not shouldn't come into it and as I said I am willing to help fund the devs in other ways

#20 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 03 December 2015 - 08:25 PM

I seriously doubt if anyone here that owns a pc good enough to run pg, pays for broadband or fibre optic is on a tight budget, the annoyance comes from other titles like TGC putting out free updates and features and not charging for courses.  I have made over 70 courses at TGC and a few have over 2k plays, i would love a £ for each play believe me! but the problem with TGC is that there are now too many courses available and 95% of them are auto generated rubbish.  The tools are limited and even many good creations feel alike, couple that with predictable game mechanics and the deal is not as sweet as it appears. 

Where pg is concerned, no i do not think they should charge for user courses, maybe if a user course springs up that is exceptional and the devs decide to incorporate it into the menu as an option to buy, then i have no problem with that, however i am not enamoured with the 4.99 a month feature, i can easily afford it but i am not really interested in asthetics and country clubs will need to have plenty of members with plenty of events going on before i would even consider it, and i get the feeling these country clubs will be sparcely populated features, i will just monitor it for the time being.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users