2551 replies to this topic

#321 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:22 PM

Don't. You may always suggest.  Double Peace!

Caution: 3 pictures with willows coming up, but not out of spite.

Anyway, this seems a good time to tell y'all about the goings on the last time out with the Whos. On our way back to the clubhouse their attention was caught by a strange, green artifact behind the 18th green.

Scobo1_zps075ca35c.jpg

Well, duh, you dumbos, it's a scoreboard, I thought to myself and joined them.

Scobo2_zps17fae701.jpg

But what interested them were the old markings on it, still visible, from the last matchplay tourney. The first pairing was Tara, the Ladies Captain, playing against our club pro, Mr. Ronan Rafferty. She won 3 & 2. The second one was a bit of a story...

Scobo3_zps00a67783.jpg

...in as far as that Dame Edna Everage from the Society of the Friends of the Willow (sorry, axe), had been squared up against Doctor Who. Dame Edna played superbly and won hole after hole. On the 10th tee the Doctor hooked his tee shot into pond 1018 and lost it badly. He really lost it and went after Dame Edna with his sonic screwdriver. I really can't tell you into which part of her anatomy he wanted to shove his implement. Alright, I'll tell you anyway: Her eye socket. 

Still, having transported his screwdriver inside his bag he was promptly deemed to carry one club too many and subsequently disqualified.

Ah, good memories...

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#322 VIXEN_VIKKI

VIXEN_VIKKI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationHertfordshire, UK

Posted 14 April 2014 - 04:29 PM

Wow...K11....you really are in need of a golf game, before insanity sets in....hehe

#323 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:50 PM

At the point of determining the screwdriver (extra club) was in his bag, the following ruling should have applied:-

Match play – At the conclusion of the hole at which the breach is discovered, the state of the match is adjusted by deducting one hole for each hole at which a breach occurred; maximum deduction per round – Two holes.

So whatever the state of play was, he would have been an additional 2 holes down, so he should have been classed as losing 9 & 8, not DQ'd.

;)

#324 Brucey Mc

Brucey Mc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationTeesside, UK #UTB

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:52 PM

Sounds like the doctor was on the receiving end of a dog licence

#325 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:46 PM

Sounds like the doctor was on the receiving end of a dog licence

Thought 'Dog License' was losing 7 & 6?

;)

#326 coldsoul

coldsoul

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:27 AM

Just a note to say love following this thread, cant wait to see a flyby of your entire course keep up the good work.

#327 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:15 AM

Nice touch lol.... love the Leaderboard, has a great shape, and that colour is perfect. Looks like it's weathering a bit, as I see scratches. Of course, the story makes it intriguing, however the Doctor isn't one to lose badly.. he'd know his opponent needed the win more, unless it wasn't Dame Edna... but some form of something impersonating her... that's when the Doctor will let loose...

It was only recently he visited my course.. I saw his Tardis and knew I'd gone too far regarding a development I was teasing myself with. He did suggest his visitation was curiosity, but I have to wonder...

14e28ol.jpg

• barryverheul likes this

#328 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:21 AM

Haven't done much lately. This is the difficult par 4, 7th green.

ScreenHunter_133Mar291304_zpsf4b752ed.jp

• Kablammo11, Davefevs and barryverheul like this

Intel Core i5-6600 CPU 3.3 GHz       Geforce GTX 1060        16GB  RAM       Windows 10 64 bit

Hazyview  (600m above sea level)    --   Nautilus Bay  (Revamp done)  --  Cape Fear  (TGC  adaptation)  --  Aloe Ridge  --  Nahoon Reef GC  --  Chambers Bay 

Abel's Crossing  --  Solitude Links GC

#329 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:07 AM

Looking sweet... and tough. Would like to see this hole a little closer in terms of tee to fairway etc.. how far across the water is the green?

Liking the foreground grass too.... I just know the effect of that view, with the water moving must be a treat to leave running on the pc. If only the clouds rolled across the sky... nice work Adriaan!

#330 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:49 AM

Hehe...  you're right, Daz, ye ole stickler. Let's just say that it's as well that Dame Edna wore bullet-proof glasses and apparently is very prolific in both Musangwe and Savate, which led to the spectacle of her, crusty old crone, giving the young Doctor a real good hiding. The guy took flight, limped away leaving a trail of blood and then just vanished - I think I know now where he went, thanks for your info, Ian. 

But how is such a match rated? 9&8? DQ for GBA on the playing partner? DNF because he left the course? One thing is for sure, we won't invite him any more and the Blammocorp International Golf Resorts Ltd will make a substantial donation to the UADF, the Upgrade All Daleks Foundation.

Tee Areas today... Take a gander at what the Doctor won't see, but hopefully you will. Having focussed on the greens the last time around, today we will look at the launch pads with all their little walls, fences, benches and trimmings. As a sign of respect to axe, this will be a willow-less gallery.

We start at the 3rd. You need to flirt with the right hand bunkers with your drive to not run out of fairway at the far side of this dogleg. The green is somewhere behind the dark large pine tree to the right of frame. 

teezo01_zps9681aba4.jpg

On the 7th, I planted a lot of foliage to make the tee shot more narrow. A full drive needs to touch down just a bit behind the branches obscuring the left edge of the fairway. If it does, it will hit a downslope (or a bunker further left) and could be propelled into the rough  because the fairway has a bottleneck at around 300yds. Dogleg left, the green is behind the front left wall end.

teezo02_zps8d37f4c3.jpg

The 8th, driveable par 4. No mysteries here. Should be an easy birdie hole in the least. We need these every now and then.

teezo03_zpsf251319a.jpg

The 11th. Another long bastard. Even a good drive will be rewarded by a blind, uphill second shot. 

teezo04_zps8bbbad35.jpg

The 13th, home of "that" bunker (see page 1 or 2 of this thread). Those speckles in the front right bunker are rocks. 

Willow Heath will have 4 tees: Back, Members, Easy and Ladies. Regarding the sharp edge of the semi rough surrounding the tees, we have been assured that when exporting our designs for play, this borderline between CF meshes and terrain texture will blend smoothly. Until then, apologies for the visual inconvenience.

teezo05_zps8d9643e8.jpg

And 14, par 5. Again a downhill tee shot that you should see bounce to the left of the fairway bunkers and that will roll out of sight of the tee, down on a bumpy ramp tilted left to right. To see the invisible part of the 14th, pray scrutinize the left third of the view of the 11th tee.

teezo06_zps93bcf226.jpg

Nice to hear from you again, Vikki. Too late, I'm already insane (well spotted).

Also, this course will include an easter egg... I shall tease you all with it here some day.

• JoeF likes this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

<<<<<

#331 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:38 AM

Unlike other golf game's user designs, which were fairly basic in the early days and improved over time, I'm wondering if the opposite will happen with this game! As designers have no game to play, they are constantly adding to, and working on improving their current course when, if the game was here, they probably wouldn't have the same patience and would be eager to release their creations, and continue on other projects instead. Could it be that the first designs will have so much time lavished on them that they will be hard to top when designers come to start their second course?

I'm sure that increased resources and learned techniques over time will mean that this will not be the case, and future courses will get better and better, but they may never again have the same amount of time put into them as they are getting at present!

life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#332 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:54 AM

That may well be. I constantly wonder wheter I already have crossed the "too much" line - like when drawing doodles during a boring meeting, and they start looking good, you keep sketching, it looks even better, you go for it and all of a sudden you rush through a tipping point and your great doodle looks like crap.

Evidently, yes, I've probably had too much idle time with this one. Only good news is that I've run out of stuff to do or to add...

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#333 remers

remers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:57 AM

Fantastic work K11!  PP should be extremely grateful for your lonely crusade to keep the boards ticking over with content.

I'm sure, like me, there are hundreds of people who log-in every day just to check for updates and without your contributions, it would be a pretty empty place.

I'm sure PP are up to their necks in it, working flat-out to produce the game and designer we all want so keep going, your course is looking like an absolute belter!

• Keith and barryverheul like this

System Spec
---------------------
Win10 / Core i7 - 4820k 3.7Ghz / 16GB Ram / GeForce GTX780 / Corsair M95 Wired Mouse / Asus PB287Q 28in 4k Monitor

#334 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 11:10 AM

Thanks remers. I'm glad that posts like yours tell me that there is somebody watching out there... if there weren't, this exercise would be beyond pathetic... and to be blunt, I probably only made beta because of my penchant for showmanship, weird words and visual prolificness. So I'm earning my keep by doing this., like a beautiful little songbird hopping around and sounding off in PP's gilded cage of endless waiting...

Content is king, as they say, and I am the Kings jester. 

• remers likes this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#335 Unique

Unique

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland, Australia

Posted 15 April 2014 - 12:52 PM

What I love about your course and your posts together show us your personality. I log on 2 or 3 times a day and as I watch I learn more about you and it often brings a smile knowing that the future of designing and the community of golfers is going to have a time of refreshing. The course looks fantastic, thanks for sharing.

Peter

#336 JoeF

JoeF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Ontario, Canada

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:05 PM

Well, K11, I'm sure you'll be pleased to know that I have a dozen of your screenshots in continuous rotation as my desktop. :)

Intel i5-4570 cpu @ 3.2 GHz, ASUS Z74-K mb, ASUS GeForce GTX 960 gpu, 16 GB ram, 2 x SSD drives, Windows 10 64 bit

Steam name: sound_flier

#337 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:07 PM

Thank you, Peter Unique.

JoeF, that's taking it a bit far, no?.... Either that or I should start to charge for that stuff; at least add a K11 watermark.. I also see you are using an outdate picture with k11 grass v.3. The course currently is on v.4.5.

But thank you, I am truly, truly flattered. And a bit alarmed.

The law of reciprocity demands that I show you now what or who you would find on my desktop:

a033_zps312152b3.jpg

And since I work on two monitors, here's another one:

b37_zpsc0ec98cb.jpg

Big smiles on top is of course Christina Ricci. No idea about the other one. This being Show & Tell, everybody feel free to post theirs, too.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#338 KenR

KenR

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:42 PM

Still watching and enjoying your progress K. I've been very patient waiting for CF to be released, as well as the game itself, and will continue to do so, but I've given up expecting anything soon.

It's apparent the team continues to work on both, but progress must be quite slow as they concentrate more on their business endeavours. Hopefully it won't be much longer, but I've been saying that for months now. Will just have to continue to be patient, but it's difficult sometimes.

In the meantime, am still enjoying watching your progress on your course. You've come a long way, and doing a remarkable job. Looking forward to seeing it in the game, should you decide to release it for the public.

Ken

#339 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:56 AM

Me again. Today I feel like revealing the ugly side of my golf project: There's a tremendous lot of action happening in all the Unity windows outside my viewer window, and I think that all of you budding future designers (and non-designing afficionados) might want to gaze at the horror that is the full view of my interface.

Below is my hierarchy window with all the stuff I have sculpted, place and planted on my plot. And wherever you see a little grey arrow triangle, there is even more stuff inside my stuff. And quite often, there is yet more stuff inside the stuff inside the stuff. I am juggling with roughly 720 objects or instances thereof, among them the 251 splines of CF meshes I have layed out. And that's not counting the roughly 800 trees and 10'000 plus grass billboards.

interface1_zpsa30a1cc4.jpg

Just one good news about this growing and messy plethora:  If you want to examine a single object closer in the viewer, just double click on its file in the hierarchy window and this will propell your viewer to the correct spot. (except trees and grass billboards, who are not individually labeled)

Next up, my asset window. This is where I can access, browse and load all the stuff I might need. (Once it is placed inside the scene, it will show up in my hierarchy window). This, too, has a tendency to clutter up fast and grow out of control. You're seing the contents of my Teezone objects: The ball washer, the basket (should have been named bucket, I suppose), the rain shelter, and 5 different pieces of walls (a bit like lego bricks to be joined and placed in the viewer). All these objects share the same texture atlas (poly) and bump map. If I had 8 different textures and bumps for these 8 objects, that would mean 16 instead of 2 items inside my assets window, spread over 8 instead of just one folder.

interface2_zps2db8a649.jpg

There's also a bit of good news here. Suppose I wanted to improve one of my objects. If I double click on it, Unity will launch my modelling software and open the object inside it, so that I can quickly make some modifications. And if I wanted to change my texture or adjust the colors to match the rest of the objects, it's as quick as double click-change-save. 

All the objects inside the asset folder have been copied into the Unity project folder - so any change executed in there will not affect the original files that are backupped in other places. Now for some textures...

interface3_zpsa8e8d233.jpg

These are the terrain textures. The blue ones are bump maps matching the other ones. To have a bumped map texture on your terrain, create a new material and set it to diffuse bumped, then drag it into the material slot of your terrain. 

So, in conclusion, you will need to manage a big s**tload of stuff in very restricted places. There are shortcuts and helps to speed up your workflow, and with a bit of time and mileage you will learn how to negotiate all the obstacles, because part of your job will be to somehow make sense and rhyme of this massive overload of files. The ugly side of Willow Heath has remaind hidden from view so far, secluded in the deepest shadows of my computer. Revealed to you, today, for the briefest of educational spectacles, it shall return hence forever.

interface4_zps55ce06e4.jpg

• remers and barryverheul like this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#340 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:22 PM

@k11 - Your other wallpaper is of Japanese model and singer Kyary Pamyu Pamyu.

life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users