Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:42 AM

Ian,

Is .FBX the required file format for 3D objects being imported in to Unity for them to appear/work correctly?

#362 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 02:12 PM

Daz, no... it isn't a requirement.

I'm by no means a 3D expert, but I tend to try many things until they either work or I see a result I understand (or not lol).

Unity will work with many extensions, notably FBX but also several others such OBJ and MAX. However, I'm unsure whether MAX work without the program installed, as everytime I port a MAX file in, it appears to start my trial software where I have to continue my days remaining by clicking trial. If I find anything MAX, I basically convert it to FBX immediately.

What does often happen, is you find you lose the mapping and textures that may have been assigned. Some of the better models have the necessary files with them for you to simply re-assign them within Unity. However, knowing how the shaders work will also help on objects such as trees etc. But, if the 3D object is basic enough, you can get by without too much hassle and simply colour the object. My Clubhouse Complex is only coloured and a simple reflective map placed on the windows. It sounds complicated, but it's alot of clicking the next one down on the items available to see how it looks.

Do bear in mind, you've seen some issues I have wandered into... so if you do try anything different or play around, do so with a BACKUP of anything you want keeping safe.

#363 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 02:17 PM

This morning I've been helping watch the materials arrive for organizing the paths I want in front of the CC. I ensured they were placed near the entrance, so they are not in shot below.. I also sent the workmen behind me whilst I took the image... however, the guy lending me the money decided to wander wherever he wants. I've not got the balls to shout at him just yet... fore..

2s0mvk5.jpg

#364 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:48 AM

Decided to continue working on the frontage for the CC.. and whilst this may be lengthy, it's simply a journey to see whether I find the end result good enough too. As briefly touched upon earlier, it could end up impacting performance, so this doesn't mean it will remain, but I felt I could try different things..

At the front, I wanted a cartpath of sorts, to be utilised for Golf buggy's that would be used on the course. I also wanted a more useable frontage of the CC that could have more seats, tables, flower pots, plats and generally appear busier. So, I began the prep by using a cube and making the edges of where I was to paint the cartpath. You can see the cube (now a long kerb) below..

e8laih.jpg

o6gya9.jpg

Inevitably, it has to allow access to the course itself too, so I simply created various on and off ramps, onto the grass terrain. Again, all I used were textures, a cube and a flattened cylinder. I added a basic texture to them and using the move and rotate, placed them onto the terrain. The reasoning I did this, was because this is all Unity..  if you paint a texture, you can't get hard edges. Therefore, you either find something like Easy Roads to add to unity, or play with the CF to add a layer for paths. The latter is a little difficult, because of the manner in which it must be encompassed. So, I wanted to avoid the CF for now and place a 3D object over the poorly painted texture edges and make it appear sharper once hidden.

#365 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:01 AM

So... further work saw these results ;

At the rear of the CC, there is a basic Staff Car Park. As I know I have a road running alongside the eastern part of my course, this would eventually give access to the course itself, therefore the new technique I was trying would need the car park to meet it. I also felt the users of the CC would need parking too, so I built a small car park alongside, in a similar theme using the stone wall entrance of the Course. (If I was sentimental, the car park was already there and belonged to the original clubhouse that was removed for the new Clubhouse Complex - it wasn't right to change something that served a purpose).

28qvx4x.jpg

2qn1pxe.jpg

The kerb edges were again needed to begin ensuring the terrain painting would remain separated. So, now the road itself had to be thought upon..

I also found a texture to be used for the CC frontage, something not too fancy, but that would allow terrain movement too. Block paving was used, as it doesn't need a flat surface. Placing a texture of paving slabs wouldn't look right if a gentle slope appears, nor would marble slabs if I was to get expensive in taste. Block paving would suffice for this initial venture..

k0ing2.jpg

2zs4e4g.jpg

#366 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:21 AM

empty

#367 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:01 AM

So, now the roads are getting properly created, things slowly take shape. I haven't thought about any lines on the road as yet, but can see the size and scale of things is roughly right. Also, the Golf buggy path is a different texture to the actual road, and I've dropped the kerb a little for easier access. Some minor details still to address in there, but it's minimal.

jud4c6.jpg

mlsaah.jpg

Looking at it from above, I personally feel it's too much.. however, as most of it isn't seen by the golfer, it's more a visual thing for the approach on the 9th and 18th holes. Maybe it will serve a purpose, maybe it won't..

Ok.. time to add a few Golf Buggy's and see how they look..

3311vf5.jpg

25ko7k4.jpg

I've not addressed the rear yet, and likely won't until the game appears. Everything seems in place though and I've added a plane to where the tables and chairs were, because I wasn't able to texture that part of the building (not without using a 3D program properly). So I simply placed a sized Plane and textured it to give the appearance from above, of a tiled floor for dining. Again, it serves no purpose other than perhaps aiding a visual rendition of an aerial shot on the 18th hole.

The road itself still has to exit the course and meet the main road, but I'll leave for that now and return to the course itself. This was simply one of those moments where I wanted to try something, see how it looked and see if I could actually do it. It's likely I'll hate it and remove it within a few weeks, but for now.. it's better to look at than terrain.

• highfade likes this

#368 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:03 AM

2qs6r07.jpg

Just a closer inspection of the textures regarding block paving vs road vs cart path etc..

#369 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:47 AM

@ IanD - You didn't, by any chance, play with lego as a kid?!  :lol:

• IanD likes this
life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#370 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:59 AM

Thx Ian, we all know who to ask when we need clubhouses building for our courses  :D

#371 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:05 PM

It was actually quite therapeutic.. I enjoyed simply dabbling and thinking on how to not use the CF for something. However, timewise.. it took several hours over this weekend to get the result as shown. It could likely have been done alot quicker using the CF and some defined layers.

#372 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:12 PM

Time for me to publish something, after a brief hiatus from the PP frontline. To all those who have missed my remarks and observations about the TGC early beta from HBS (I know you haven't), I very well might have bought into it to have a looksie, but the gentlemen over at HB Studios, in their finite wisdom, have deemed that no Mac versions should be made available.

So: fuck them!

Yes, crude language, I know, but I rather insist on using the right word for the right sentiment and this is as accurate as I can possibly communicate in this matter. You've gotta adore the absence of a swear filter on this Forum. Then again, the local auto-fill must be made responsible for half my typos as well.

With all this out of the way, back to affairs closer to home. Find below the link to a Flyby video. Just the 1st hole. Go for HD and full frame. please. The video is quite choppy and contains a few compression glitches, which is the result of my unprofessional screen capturing tool and not of the Unity performance. Anyway, here goes:

The clip above, btw, was made with an animated Unity camera and not with the CF flyby tool, which is a bit cumbersome (the tool, alas, not the fact that it was not made with it). To wit, this camera movement was defined by 5 key frames, whereas the CF tool would have given me 12 key frames or more. Also, this way I could tilt the camera sideways and adjust the focal length, which the CF tool wouldn't let me do...

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#373 VIXEN_VIKKI

VIXEN_VIKKI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationHertfordshire, UK

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:35 PM

K11.... i echo your sentiments about HBS, unfortunately i brought the early access before

i knew it was not MAC friendly, my fault for not checking, was rushing too much thinking i was actually

going to get some golf...so while i wait on PP...i will have to fill my time reading your lovely humourous posts

and entertain myself that way...so keep them coming and you never know one day we may actually play against

each other again 

#374 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:39 PM

Vikki, according to their forums, which I do peruse, you should be able to run it via bootcamp. If that's your cup of tea... I don't do bootcamp myself, but since you have commited to it already, perhaps you can get something going. 

And yes, one fine day we will play again.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

<<<<<

#375 gt5gt

gt5gt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:03 AM

Just a small "show and tell" from me: I'm totally new to 3D-art and Unity but I always was interested in this so I decided to give it a try: I got a version of 3DS Max and tried to understand the basics (with a lot of help from some video-tutorials), especially about texture mapping and so on. Then I tried to export my result as an .fbx-file into unity, created a very simple scene and put in the .fbx-file. Here it is: the first try of a very simple house, probably nearby a golf course:

screen01_unityixysg.jpg

So it worked ;). With a little bit more experience in 3DS Max and/or Unity I'm sure to get even better results, but I'm quite happy with this first try ;)

• Kablammo11, Keith, IanD and 1 other like this

#376 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:45 AM

Very well done, gt5gt! It's always a bit intimidating to try and conquer a new domain... but oh-so-sweet when it works out. Love the willows!

Thanks for sharing.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#377 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:44 PM

Extremely well done.... not only for the final house, but for the attempt and mini project you took on. How about creating a border around the drive and garage and make a mini court-yard. Some gardens too.. maybe a shed..?

Good work..!

#378 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:05 PM

@gt5gt - It looks good graphically, but IMO you need to spend more time getting the proportions realistic. The biggest problem is your window height. They should really finish at door height or above. If you were tall you would have to crouch to look out of yours. It may be the extreme perspective, but the garage height looks wrong too, and it would be difficult to fit a ceiling in, judging by that door! Many people won't notice, but the pedantic gits like me will, and it will bug us, and affect our opinions, and ratings of your course!  :lol:

life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#379 gt5gt

gt5gt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:12 PM

Thanks a lot for your kind words - this little house was just a small test for me to see how the basic things work in 3DS Max and if export to Unity via .fbx-file works fine (regarding the included textures etc.). So you suggestions for improving the scene are quite great, IanD, but I think I will focus on "building" in 3DS Max and stay away from the Unity-part at the moment. Too much things to learn if I try to do both things at the same time I'm afraid... but thanks a lot for your suggestions!

My goal for the future is probably to build up some clubhouses in 3DS Max (and probably other 3D course elements), so I will focus on 3DS Max. If you are not familiar to this software (like me) it is very, very complex and confusing in a lot of parts - but it also makes a lot of fun to see how the building is "rising" ;)

@Acrilix: of course you are right, to be honest I did not really have a close look at the proportions of this "house". As said above it was just a test about basic functions. But I will keep your words in mind for further projects, I promise!

#380 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:28 AM

It's a very good first try, gt5gt. Your 2nd try will be even better, I'm sure.

Now let's talk about me. I have nothing new to show you all, so I better show you some old stuff again. But not here, rather go over there.

Click the orange letters above to be transported to a small, off-site collection of content that has already been posted on this thread. Mostly, there's also a Miscellany gallery with other projects. For your convenience, you will have a thumbnailed gallery at your disposal and will be able to see all the pictures in their original size.

I must give credit for this idea to jcolton31, who linked to his blog on his "Have course, will travel" thread. Thank you.

• gt5gt likes this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users