2551 replies to this topic

#661 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 08:00 AM

Hehe, I could hear Scarlet O'Hara shouting: "As God is my witness, I'll never go hungry again!"

But yes, Mike, I must admit, yours is very nice. So, we've got that covered, eh? Then how about me slacking off on skyboxes? I'll just slap a close-up of one of my butt-pimples up there, that okay?

+15?

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#662 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 10:09 AM

It's nice that players will have the option to play the courses with both static and dynamic lighting conditions. I will have to get you a mac build which has the improved misty weather included.

#663 Volker

Volker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationSehnde, Germany

Posted 12 October 2014 - 12:11 PM

Hey Mike, can you send it to me, too? :) :) :)  Just kidding. :rolleyes:

#664 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 12:23 PM

Nah, you're dead serious, Volker, aren't you? And why shouldn't you?

Still, in the interest and showing and telling, t'is an interesting complex of possibilities and options, this sky and panorama affair. My previous solution was to have a skybox with the scenic landscape baked into one image, thusly:

u0ZqR8u.jpg

That was effective, straightforward, simple, easy on performance. But nooo-hoooo, now they had to introduce dynamic weather, meaning that not only could they put in any sky they wanted, but also that the dynamic weather would obscure the artificial horizon I had made. No more scenery of surrounding landscapes in dynamic weather!

So I had to go and build me some additional scenery. Deleting Mount Tara was a mistake! I needed it back and it had to bring a few friends. So I created a new basic terrain of 800m sides with a terrain resolution of 257 (very low, 66 K pixels small)

FNvD0Gb.jpg

...and raised a few medium sized hills on it, then added a few textures. This gave me a nice little bit of added landscape:

53xIfqN.jpg

Observing from a ground position I could then plant my hills where they would fit in best with the course. Those gizmo arrows are very neat, very easy to use and fast to operate.

NEWwaAv.jpg

I duplicated the 1st scenery terrain 3 more times, rotated it a bit and planted the 3 new ones at selected spots around the golf course. Mostly, in the final product, they will be distant, looming silhouettes adding a bit of contour to the otherwise too low horizon. You won't noticed them much while playing.

gyICOXX.jpg

But there would be something missing if they weren't there! And these babies are utterly immune to dynamic weather, they will keep looming and being there come rain or sunshine or fog, whether you can see them or not.

Willow Heath Mark III is now almost finished. Just a bit of audio left to do.

• Volker likes this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

<<<<<

#665 AlanR54NC

AlanR54NC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, USA

Posted 12 October 2014 - 01:55 PM

Super nice visuals K11 (even if I don't follow a think from the techie side) :)

Intel Core2 Duo E6750

4GB Ram

Win 7 64 bit

ATI  Radeon 5700

#666 Volker

Volker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 03:31 PM

This is so great, K11. Thank you a lot for the informations and the pics.

#667 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 12:33 PM

Autumn descends over Willow Heath. And with that, finishing touches...

The small cameo image that will show up in the course selection menu has been added...

g62toGD.jpg

The large splash screen image (which is currently disfigured by a hideous blur effect), has been designed in the same vein. Both these images are NOT pure screen capture, there's a bit of Photoshop in them.

YjAQQkk.jpg

And finally, the Tara King easter egg has been imported and tucked away. It will require free roaming mode to find, it will NOT be hidden insiden the castle and it will NOT be underwater. If you get to within 10m of it, it should play a short part of the Avengers Theme.

5tBy8cn.jpg

For my next project, I'm thinking coastal, rugged, double greens, double and triple fairways and... basalt. Lots of dark wet basalt organ pipes....

Of course, Willow Heath will be supported some more, if necessary. But right now I'm a-gonna start creating new textures. 

• highfade, TheBigYin519, shimonko and 1 other like this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#668 Richard

Richard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBismarck, ND

Posted 17 October 2014 - 01:14 PM

Autumn descends over Willow Heath. And with that, finishing touches...

CLIPPED AND EDITED:

Ah, now the willow trees take on the right color. Hopefully next spring, they will come back a nice bright green. Water, water, water, fertilize, fertilize, fertilize and hire that 'damn' arborist. 2mcit6b.jpg

Richard

Posted Image

#669 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 01:54 PM

Getting on my nerves, that guy, what with his pettyfogging quibbles on irrelevant minutiae and with his darn, silly, copy-pasted, over-sized, massively annoying, decidedly unfunny and truly headache-inducing, craptstically uncool emoticons! 

clipart-angry-smiley-emoticon-512x512-a1

• Richard, Volker and TheBigYin519 like this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#670 Volker

Volker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 02:25 PM

K11, I hope we can play and enjoy your course when PG will be in Early Access. You have put a lot of work in it and the pics are very impressive.

• Richard likes this

#671 Richard

Richard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBismarck, ND

Posted 17 October 2014 - 02:56 PM

K-11, a little sensitive today, are we!! :rolleyes:

Richard

Posted Image

#672 yesrushdt

yesrushdt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 02:56 AM

K11, I hope we can play and enjoy your course when PG will be in Early Access. You have put a lot of work in it and the pics are very impressive.

Very impressive indeed.  The level of realism is off the charts.  Really hope the early access version comes out in a couple months (my patience is close to running out ;) :D).

#673 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:41 PM

This is not a course review as I wasn't tasked with testing the course but had I found anything wrong over the 11 holes I played I would have reported it to you K11 for future help.

I was only going to look at one hole because of time constraints but liked it so much I made it to 11...I will finish as soon as time allows..

So nice to see someone pay so much attention to smoothing, it really paid off.... This is one thing that some designers don't due. SMOOTH. That really stands out...Plus the many mixtures of different types of holes.. Gotta say, the greens work was pretty darn good K11.  Thanks

Even though you have no pano, I was glad to see the hills in the backgrounds which makes a huge difference..

Very nicely done, you have done an Excellent job!!!!!

Thanks for the course and the very fine work...

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#674 Jimbo63

Jimbo63

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • LocationManchester, England

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:59 PM

Great work K11. This course will be in the early release of PG I hope. Could you guestimate how many hours you have spent designing the course?

#675 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 06:35 AM

Thanks a lot, axe. Coming from a fellow course designer, this indeed is a very inspiring accolade. Don't get too familiar with the place, WH Mark 3 is being baked in the PP oven as we speak. It will have many alterations, the course should be a bit tougher from tee to green, while the greens will be a little bit kinder, some of the nastier pin positions a bit less nasty...

Which nicely ties in to your questions, Jimbo63. I have been told that Willow Heath will be in the early release. As for the time spent: A lot! I have no exact figure, but two factors increased the total time considerably: The first being "learning the ropes", as in getting to grips with the Unity environment and the CF features, slowly building up the required skills to manipulate the tools. That is a one-off time investment that will not be a factor in my next project. The second reason for added time is called alpha and beta: I was working with unfinished tools. There was the famed yardage bug, causing my course to play 10% shorter than intended, so I had to redo most of it.

If we substract these two time wasters, there are still 100s of hours of fun and joy left. Sorry, I meant "work". Textures and objects alone, which I all produced myself, did not happen overnight. There also where months of inactivity, considering the slow march to fruition of the game causing waiting periods. The key, I believe, is "iteration", to re-visit your work again and again, go after all the little things that bug you, then pause, then come back and re-do the little things that bugged you, go over the place dozens of times and allowing it to grow. In short, whatever the total time is that I used on this project, that number should not amount  to a relevant yardstick for anything or anybody. 

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#676 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 02:45 PM

I realize just now that the new version is already available (didn't get a personal notice). So I was able to go out and play - axe, I understand you meant the new version, not the older one. Well, a new dawn rises over the Heath indeed.

xdsjo32.jpg

Which was nice!

2398b69533fde807d3f451955b009a519b202e5a

bwGfiMp.jpg

k8ZUHx7.jpg

These images are from my second round. Those who want to see the new non-dynamic skybox in action are cordially invited to watch the gameplay video I plan to create this next weekend...

V6pQ0Wh.jpg

• Harald and remers like this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#677 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 23 October 2014 - 02:57 PM

Might of helped had I mentioned that..

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#678 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 03:40 PM

AAARK! Might HAVE!

Terribly sorry, axe, my sweet man, do not be angry, but this recently expanding pandemic of could of/should of/might of misspellings is deeply hurtful to my soul. T'is truly the ebola of language - and it simply must be opposed.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#679 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 23 October 2014 - 04:43 PM

Lol, why would I be angry.... ;)

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#680 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,599 posts
  • LocationWest End, Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:13 PM

let's nip this in the butt

Greens easier?  The rule is to have the hole location on a relatively flat part of the green - not necessarily a large area. The rest of the surface can be as undulating as my moods.

Who remembers that abomination of a hole location on some course on TWO where the hole was halfway up a severe slope and putting to it was like a carnival game.

Looking good

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users