2551 replies to this topic

#681 mcthommo

mcthommo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 08:44 AM

KB- firstly top marks for WH as it looks simply amazing and cannot wait to give it a whirl

Wondering what your next/current project is- hoping I saw you mention that it could be coastal and rugged type which would be just what the doctor ordered!!

Intel 9900k @5GHZ

Asus RTX 3090 Strix OC

32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200

Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390

Noctua NH-D15 Cromax 

Fractal Design Meshify S2

WDC WD10EFRX 1TB NVME drive

2x 14TB Hitachi NAS HDD

Colour scheme by Nigel Tufnell- "None more black"

#682 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 10:36 AM

Thank you mcthommo. It's K11, not KB. Mayhap my little logo on the top left of this post will help you remember. Sheesh!  ^_^ 

The doctor ordered this. Well, not this, but something in this mood: Google the term "black swan", btw...

9VuQfoL.jpg

Dark green grass, basalt rocks and cliffs, no trees, windswept coasts, double greens and double fairways. Clifftop location like Torrey Pines, Scottish Links-type adjoined greens and fairways like St. Andrews. Here's the layout:

NVktbyj.jpg

I'm currently searching, combining, prepping the textures, surfaces, rocks and grasses for this project. This one will not be finished by christmas...

• highfade likes this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#683 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 24 October 2014 - 12:03 PM

Thank you macthommo. It's K11, not KB. Mayhab my little logo on the top left of this post will help you remember. Sheesh!  ^_^ 

BTW K10 + 1, it's mcthommo not macthommo.

Sheesh!

:D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D

• Harald likes this

#684 mcthommo

mcthommo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 03:33 PM

K11 :P

Wery, wery niiiiice

Now if only someone has played a load of links course, say 107 or so, he might have a good insight of all things links ;)- might even live in the North of Scotland ;)

Not sure if I know a guy like that :rolleyes: :ph34r: :D

Intel 9900k @5GHZ

Asus RTX 3090 Strix OC

Noctua NH-D15 Cromax 

2x 14TB Hitachi NAS HDD

#685 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 10:35 AM

Tidbit: Possible fairway style for the new project... 

O5vejld.jpg

And a first glimps: The black swan promontory, placed at the northern tip of the course and a bit off the coast. Looking like the botty of a swan diving for food, it has given the place its name and will act as a landmark/backdrop for golfers on the course

CV46jiu.jpg

• Dazmaniac likes this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

<<<<<

#686 TheBigYin519

TheBigYin519

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada via Scotland

Posted 27 October 2014 - 06:48 PM

Hi K11,

Fairway texture might need a few sheep "droppings" to make it really true to life ?? :rolleyes:

Win  10 64bit

#687 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:38 PM

Hi K11,

Fairway texture might need a few sheep "droppings" to make it really true to life ?? :rolleyes:

TBY,

Ewe did mention it

5807875362_6f7d9ebe97.jpg

Scuttles away sheepishly before being told to ram it and becoming a lamb to the slaughter.

:o

#688 TheBigYin519

TheBigYin519

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada via Scotland

Posted 28 October 2014 - 12:06 AM

Daz,

That's a shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit load of stuff.  :D & your pun's are getting worse.  :D

Haven't seen that much since I last played a round on the east coast of Scotland, many years ago.

You know that it was a Scottish shepherd who invented golf by using his crook & hitting that stuff after it had dried out ???? :rolleyes:

OK no more, I'm off to TF / CF some more

Win  10 64bit

#689 scottpussehl

scottpussehl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 28 October 2014 - 01:36 AM

K11
I am really interested about the several holes crossing holes on your current links design, seems just a hair dangerous to me unless you are the only group playing. Also WH's textures seem a bit gloomy to me, but maybe I am the minority. Outside of that you are doing some awesome stuff with CF

#690 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 07:10 AM

My textures are not oversaturated on purpose - that purpose being asthetics and realism. But they do come accross as a bit washed out in the game, whereas they look a lot more crisp when in Unity. I will adjust them slightly and try to make the transition between fairways and greens a bit more distinct. Keep in mind that in my video I was playing in default mode with the gloomy clouds and the light fog added, committed to my own private version of defiantly mainstream-incompatible beatuy - But if you were to enable dynamic weather and full sunshine, the place would look very differently and a lot "happier" (ewww..).

As for the holes crossing holes, they are currently laid out to work in theory. This is an initial design, a starting point, and definitely not the last word on anything.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#691 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 10:37 AM

New Year, new golf course.

I realize that it is borderline cruelty to mention fledging course projects while everybody is salivating for the game to be early released. Still, those courses won't build themselves. And what about Tara, my tireless second-in-command? As always, she's way ahead of me, both feet firmly on the ground, testing sand hazards for my latest development.

cEtAgsx.jpg

At this early stage, it's all about groundwork: Textures and shaders, combining into a look and feel. The new greens will come with mow lines, for better readability, yet still be borderline unkept and grungy, as intended, with small dirt spots showing up and slight discolorations hinting at this not being Augusta. T'is a wild, rough and rugged one, this new course...

LGO89V2.jpg

Tara set up a little terrain lab in the hills above the proper course, where we experimented with all sorts of grass types and variations. This is the fairway, and it will come in 3 different types: regular, muddy and dirty..

Umd68HP.jpg

The rough will be astonishingly short and well beheaved, as on most wind-swept coastal courses. And of course riddled with grass billboards at a later date.

gvyBcrI.jpg

Behold the Black Swan (named after the basalt towers at the outer tip of the plot). Tara has prepped the land perfectly for me, now I will start drawing in the golf shapes. Look up what other meaning a "black swan" has - it's what I want to happen to every round of golf being played here.

io9UWKV.jpg

What else? There will not be a single tree on this terrain! And work on Willow Heath is finished for good.

Ta!

• RobC likes this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#692 mcthommo

mcthommo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 11:59 AM

K11 ( still think KB is better ;) :P :D)

can't wait for both PP and both WH and this is looking like a peerie cracker

McT

Intel 9900k @5GHZ

Asus RTX 3090 Strix OC

Noctua NH-D15 Cromax 

2x 14TB Hitachi NAS HDD

#693 Richard

Richard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBismarck, ND

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:50 PM

Does anyone know what the rule is 'when two balls, from intersecting fairways, collide in mid-air and explode'? :huh:

Richard

Posted Image

#694 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 02:52 PM

The logo says K11, McT! Please obey the logo. Never heard the expression peerie cracker (Chrismas cracker?). Gold star to you for expanding my vocabulary.

Rochard, oh, Richard. You are the fastidious one, I'm the facetious one... The rule ought to be same as when the balls of two players on the same hole are touching - and this is not meant as a gay joke!

ZCOBpbt.jpg

I promise I will lay out my layout in such a manner that imaginary players won't kill each other too easily, only after very poor shots. I also prepared some waste areas, They are called basalt pits, cuz that's what they will be. They will have "concrete", i.e. stone-like physics, so this might increase the chance of erratic and hence harmful ball bounces. Yes, they will also be filled with rocks, boulders and wispy, dry grass.

49GzEsK.jpg

• IanD likes this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#695 mcthommo

mcthommo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 04:13 PM

Peerie is a Shetland word for Little, small etc

e.g. Peerie lass- little girl

Intel 9900k @5GHZ

Asus RTX 3090 Strix OC

Noctua NH-D15 Cromax 

2x 14TB Hitachi NAS HDD

#696 RobC

RobC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
  • LocationSouthampton England

Posted 05 January 2015 - 04:56 PM

So when you lay the texture down in CF do you then set the physics of said texture or is it set when the texture is made and brought into CF

Cheers RobC

#697 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 06:33 PM

RobC, in CF I have about 2 dozen prefab physics materials, from concrete to sand to dirt to tee to fairway etc, which I can assign to each texture. If I wanted to be mean I could add a deep rough material to a fairway texture. 

The textures themselves are a combination of a ground tile (basically the green stuff) and a shader for details (i.e. the tiny blades of grass you can see on some of the above pictures). These two elements are being layed over each other to give a result that looks realistic both from far away and from close-by.

Thanks for the explanation, McT.

Meanwhile, here's the 1st hole. A measly 320y as the crow flies, but bumpy like heck. I did say rugged...

mkWWFLJ.jpg

Those white stripes and annoying bright specks are probably a glitch of the fresnel effect... 

• RobC likes this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#698 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 06:02 AM

Love the basalt 'middle earth' effect....

#699 Keith

Keith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 06 January 2015 - 03:11 PM

Always enjoy seeing courses come together.  Very interesting.  Will be anticipating continued updates on your progress.  Looks like another beauty.  Loving those textures.  I have yet to get the knack of blending textures, something I should work on I guess.

#700 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 03:34 PM

Thank you for the encouragement, Keith. If you would like to know more about texturizing stuff, all you have to do is ask... somebody who knows what he's doing, not me. I'm just dabbling around and placing all my faith in the mercy of both the true rulers of this universe: Trial and Error.

Two images from the 3rd fairway. Even I, who likes all things grungy, sometimes wonder if this is a bit much regarding spots and blemishes and irregularities. 

4NXmJ09.jpg

cI2Xjed.jpg

What would really, really, re-he-he-he-heally come in handy right about now would be the capability to create pot bunkers. Absent this vital little extrusion process, all I can do is create fairway funnels and place a sand hazard at their bottom. Would the powers that be please drop everything else they are doing right now and start conjuring up them darn potting tools? Who am I kidding; I tried cajoling, flattering, threatening, raging and insulting the makers, to no avail... People around here seem to have grown inured to my rants. All that is left is to try and ask nicely. Could have some pot bunkers pwettty puhhhhh-leeaaaasee?

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users