#81 garynorman

garynorman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • LocationBedfordshire, England

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:11 PM

Looks great :)  Particularly impressed with the grass... 

#82 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 04:34 PM

Yes Sir Ian, keeping it coming, Sir, right away, Sir! 

HeathSeeker4_zps0262c185.jpg

HeathSeeker1_zpse2d4a9e3.jpg

HeathSeeker2_zps6207d178.jpg

​(there also will be bushes and rocks and other smallish whatnots added… later...)

• Erik Lugris, Mike Jones, Acrilix and 1 other like this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#83 Keith

Keith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 21 February 2014 - 04:59 PM

Course is REALLY coming together K11..looks freakin' great.

#84 KenR

KenR

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 05:01 PM

Nice job K11, really coming along!

Ken

#85 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 21 February 2014 - 05:08 PM

:wub:  Hope to play this baby some day soon!

Intel Core i5-6600 CPU 3.3 GHz       Geforce GTX 1060        16GB  RAM       Windows 10 64 bit

Hazyview  (600m above sea level)    --   Nautilus Bay  (Revamp done)  --  Cape Fear  (TGC  adaptation)  --  Aloe Ridge  --  Nahoon Reef GC  --  Chambers Bay 

Abel's Crossing  --  Solitude Links GC

#86 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:02 PM

Thanks guys. I'm not quite happy yet - that grass is a bit too riotous for my stern tastes. I need a bit more base grass (a bit better one than I'm using now) and confine myself to a few small islands of full bloom. Sorry, but I am a "Less is more" guy… there's a weekend ahead, so I can put in a few more hours these next days. To be continued 

Also, just to dampen spirits, did you know that Unity allows for a maximal grass distance of 250 meters (a bit less than 280 yds)? So it's impossible to cover everything with it. And on some flythroughs from an elevated position you might actually see the grass fading itself into view in the distance… Frankly, I showed you the nice and fotogenic spots with my pictures. There are many angles and perspectives that are not nearly as glorious...

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

<<<<<

#87 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:23 PM

Clever use of matching ground textures will make the fade almost invisible if done well. As with all things in real time engines, it's a compromise between quantity and speed. 

#88 garynorman

garynorman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:54 PM

With performance in mind, will dropping a character controller in the scene and wandering around give you a decent idea of the likely frame-rate when playing the course through PG? 

#89 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:39 PM

Sure in unity you can bring up the 'stats' in play mode to see how many polygons are in the scene.

#90 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:21 PM

Whilst only wishing to touch briefly on this, bearing in mind how often K11's thread gets hijacked.. but I'm guessing we're likely to see low end pc's struggle playing Perfect Golf due to our Courses being polygon heavy..? How heavy is too heavy...?

#91 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:31 PM

Like I said in another thread, the graphics can be scaled down to to even run on phones (tested and working) so you'll be able to play PG on a wide range of hardware eventually. This is why we have detailed level options so you can turn things off or on depending on your hardware spec.

• Davefevs likes this

#92 Davefevs

Davefevs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:45 PM

Like I said in another thread, the graphics can be scaled down to to even run on phones (tested and working) so you'll be able to play PG on a wide range of hardware eventually. This is why we have detailed level options so you can turn things off or on depending on your hardware spec.

That is good news.....although the economy of buying a new pc to play high end detail PG will not be ruled by logic. Sorry K11 for the derail response!!

#93 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:24 AM

No problem, Dave and Ian. Solliciting three separate replies by MJ within a few hours is a truly astounding feat, and I'm proud of hosting this ultimate highlight of threadjacking in this my humble thread.

• Mike Jones, Davefevs and IanD like this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#94 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:30 PM

Well, I'm done with anything "grass" for now - I'm still quite unhappy with the Unity grass engine atm. I wanted to go for something in the style of Merion 2013 and all I managed to get was (see pictures above), a multichromatic jamboree of Kew Gardens in a psychedelic trance. 

So I curtailed my grass chores and turned my attention on other things. There is still so much else to look into and take care off:

- Forest ground and undergrowth

- shrubs and bushes

- Stones and rocks

- The shorelines of the ponds

And all of these will be taken care of, in due time, as well the grasstastrophic grass issue (once my wrath has simmered way back down to the melting point of steel).

But for the moment, after my defeat in the grass wars of Willow Heath, I craved a quick and easy win. So I made and added a few bulkheads...

Bulk05_zps7072a925.jpg

Bulk06_zps192fa8c4.jpg

Bulk07_zps02caf0ef.jpg

Bulk01_zps1e21d6a7.jpg

Bulk02_zps19b75784.jpg

Bulk03_zps81e421fc.jpg

Bulk11_zpscbab536d.jpg

Bulk10_zps690e895b.jpg

• nstone73 likes this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#95 garynorman

garynorman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:18 PM

Good looking retaining walls...  Can I ask how you went about measuring the dimensions and shape of them prior to making them?  Are they in sections or just one large object?

#96 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:37 PM

They are 3 different retaining walls, gary - triplets. 1 straight, 1 bending left, 1 bending right - the latter 2 being a bent version of the former one, with identical textures and normal map. The pieces are put together wherever you see the slightly larger vertical part.

I set them each to a length of about 9 yds and a height of a little bit less than 6 ft after having measured out the entire green with the measuring tape (it's one of the largest, 40yds front to end) (the green, not the tape).

I imported all 3 elements into Unity and then duplicated them along the sketch lines of my design to get them in line. There are places where I deviated a bit from the intended trajectory, because I felt it looked a bit cooler doing it slightly different (like adding a sharp-ish bend in what was originally planned to be all-around soft and rounded.

I also could have taken a top-down screen cap of the CF outlines, imported that as a background into my 3d modelling app (ac3d), and performed the final assembly to scale there, ending up with a single, matching mesh object to import into Unity. 

These babies are a bit different because they are very long - Wooden bulkheads, a selection of them probably shipping with CF and made by PP, should come at a lenght of 1 to 2 yds per element, which means you can set one and then go ahead an duplicate them easily along the intended contour inside Unity without having to measure them out at all.

• garynorman and clarkx5652 like this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#97 garynorman

garynorman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:40 PM

Excellent, many thanks :)

#98 Keith

Keith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:46 PM

Love the red brick style bulk heads.  They look great.

#99 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:51 PM

Thank you. A reflection in the water would really make them look higher and less fragile. And the reed grasss would also profit immensely from it.

Sorry about the aquatic limitations, guys. I'm inches away from buying an add-on to get this sorted...

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#100 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 06:00 PM

Hmmmm buying....?! Stands with hands on hips lol...

Loved the images and work K11... just have to keep admiring them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users