155 replies to this topic

#41 Harvester

Harvester

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 01:14 PM

Nothing has changed in regard to graphics performance in this build. Chances are if you reboot after updating the patch you will have no issues.

You might want to check that your graphics settings have not changed from where they were set previously as some people have reported them changing slightly after an update.

I'm away from home so I can't really check things out very well but something has def changed.  When I get back home in a few days I'll check things out a little better.

One thing that worries me is that on the 2 machines I have acces to here (one really crap laptop and a desktop that i think is not crap) I am getting the screen blank that I was getting after switching clubs.  It had gone away with the last 2 patches but it seems to have returned again.  The odd thing is that counting these 2 machines I have seen this same problem on 4 or 5 different machines.

Graphics are also laggy.  The roll outs on drivers and putting is really jerky with the ball warping back a few feet every now and then as it rolls.  The meter is laggy to the point of not being able to hole short puts because of the inability to stop the meter before to much power is applied.

Again, I'll check things out when I get back home.

Thanks for the update and Merry Christmas.   :)

#42 AlanR54NC

AlanR54NC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, USA

Posted 24 December 2015 - 01:21 PM

Merry Christmas PP and the course designers. Thanks for the Christmas goodies. I will put them to good use and greedily wait for more next year :)

Intel Core2 Duo E6750

4GB Ram

Win 7 64 bit

ATI  Radeon 5700

#43 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 01:22 PM

None of us in the testers group experienced these fps issues.  In fact, one tester reported increased fps.  I know I've personally seen some issue happen when we get a new update.  Perhaps verify your game files and/or reboot your machine?  I've had to do that in the past.

Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

#44 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 01:45 PM

The first time I tried the update without rebooting my PC the game was almost unplayable but was much better afterwards, and seems to improve the more the game is played.
Steam Name: n.bonaparte
WWG1WGA

#45 JoeF

JoeF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Ontario, Canada

Posted 24 December 2015 - 01:59 PM

Completely disagree... what do I have to do now, make a list of settings for each course that I would like to play?   Sorry... but that is not going to happen.    As Buck indicated, what happens when CF is released to the masses?    I do set up my settings to play the more graphic intensive courses, but it just doesn't seem to matter as it just when you think you have it nailed down, you switch to another course and appears to be no rhyme or reason to why frame rates drop like they do...  I find myself fiddling around with settings more than golfing.  

Overall... great update and very much appreciate PP's work on this before the holidays, but unfortunately the framerates are killing the experience.   The new course release / issues with framerates have been a consistent issue from day one.  

Edit:  just saw Mike's post about rebooting and making sure my settings are the same prior to patch... I will do that and report back the results..

No, Rob, you don't have to make a list or make changes to your settings for each graphics intensive course but your unwillingness to do so would only limit your ability to play what may be some terrific and beautiful courses and that would be your loss.  That is your decision and if you are happy with it, more power to you.  However, if one wants to maximize their graphical experience of the game it may come to that if their current system doesn't have the headroom to handle everything designers may throw at us in the future.  I'm fortunate to have a system that runs most courses at Ultra High (custom) with every graphics setting maxed out.  But there are a couple that, on some holes, drop my fps down  to the point where I start seeing stutter.  In those cases I simply drop my graphics settings down to HIgh or cut my Tree Quality settings from 6 down to 3 and my fps are back to a smooth playing experience.  Yes, I did initially spend a bit of time playing with my graphics settings to see what slider changes affected my fps the most and now I know what changes are most likely to resolve the issue.  Now, when faced with a drop in fps, it takes me all of about 10 seconds to go to settings, make a change and be back on the course.  To me that is a very small price to pay.  

In the beta group we have already seen designers struggle with the compromises they need to make to keep performance up while trying to retain the artistic/visual vision of their design.  Course Forge/Unity is quite capable of producing courses that would be absolutely stunning to see but would bring the very best machines to their knees.  What these designers are learning now will only help future designers when they face the same dilemmas.  

• Kimmer1947 likes this

Intel i5-4570 cpu @ 3.2 GHz, ASUS Z74-K mb, ASUS GeForce GTX 960 gpu, 16 GB ram, 2 x SSD drives, Windows 10 64 bit

Steam name: sound_flier

#46 Harvester

Harvester

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 02:08 PM

No, Rob, you don't have to make a list or make changes to your settings for each graphics intensive course but your unwillingness to do so would only limit your ability to play what may be some terrific and beautiful courses and that would be your loss.  That is your decision and if you are happy with it, more power to you.  However, if one wants to maximize their graphical experience of the game it may come to that if their current system doesn't have the headroom to handle everything designers may throw at us in the future.  I'm fortunate to have a system that runs most courses at Ultra High (custom) with every graphics setting maxed out.  But there are a couple that, on some holes, drop my fps down  to the point where I start seeing stutter.  In those cases I simply drop my graphics settings down to HIgh or cut my Tree Quality settings from 6 down to 3 and my fps are back to a smooth playing experience.  Yes, I did initially spend a bit of time playing with my graphics settings to see what slider changes affected my fps the most and now I know what changes are most likely to resolve the issue.  Now, when faced with a drop in fps, it takes me all of about 10 seconds to go to settings, make a change and be back on the course.  To me that is a very small price to pay.  

In the beta group we have already seen designers struggle with the compromises they need to make to keep performance up while trying to retain the artistic/visual vision of their design.  Course Forge/Unity is quite capable of producing courses that would be absolutely stunning to see but would bring the very best machines to their knees.  What these designers are learning now will only help future designers when they face the same dilemmas.  

Honestly,  I couldn't care less about graphics.  I always have the graphics dialed down to the lowest they will go and I'd go lower if it was possible.  I really don't care if I can see reflections in the water.   :)

I tend to get tunnel vision when I play and all the graphic beauty is lost on me.

As far as the update:  Yes I've rebooted and I just tried reinstalling on one machine with the same results.  Like I said I'll try to dig a little deeper once I get back home.

#47 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 02:20 PM

Nothing has changed in regard to graphics performance in this build. Chances are if you reboot after updating the patch you will have no issues.

You might want to check that your graphics settings have not changed from where they were set previously as some people have reported them changing slightly after an update.

For me it was just on that new course...which is why I went on the tangent about being frustrated that potentially every new course is going to be its own new animal of settings/frame rate, etc

#48 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 02:22 PM

We have advised the course builders of a desired number of triangles but we are not going to force anyone to do anything so if a user builds a course that has more so be it.  As for consoles we will have much greater control over it.

Totally cool & makes perfect sense - I really think that you're making a great case for end users to be able to see a benchmarked performance score for a given course in advance so people will know in advance if their hardware can handle it, etc (as I'd elaborated earlier in this thread)

#49 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 02:23 PM

I do set up my settings to play the more graphic intensive courses, but it just doesn't seem to matter as it just when you think you have it nailed down, you switch to another course and appears to be no rhyme or reason to why frame rates drop like they do... 

I find myself fiddling around with settings more than golfing.  

The new course release / issues with framerates have been a consistent issue from day one.  

This

#50 Kimmer1947

Kimmer1947

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 04:54 PM

A BIG thank you to the developers and testers that made this update possible.  As in the past, the developers will need a little time to sort out the problem issues with the update.  But for now.....PEACE to all and a Merry Christmas to the entire golf community.

• ☠InDaSkies☠ likes this

#51 clint

clint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 December 2015 - 05:05 PM

Big Thank you!!

The german translation is funny @Schwarzwald :) :) :)

#52 Crusher

Crusher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 05:18 PM

Well Xbox will not allow you to just download a user course off the internet and install it on your xbox, so user courses will have to be handled completely differently.  We have advised the course builders of a desired number of triangles but we are not going to force anyone to do anything so if a user builds a course that has more so be it.  As for consoles we will have much greater control over it.

As suggested in the past, if a course is "heavy" with graphics it's a simple matter of (for new members) changing your graphic quality settings to a lower level.

Examples:

1. Ultra High to Medium

2. High to Low

3. Medium to Very Low

Also consider this.  You may have a super monitor and want to do everything at it's highest resolution but if you play PG in  "windowed" mode at a lower resolution you will find that will make a difference in performance as well.

Example:   My monitor's default is 1920 x 1080.  I reduced the resolution to 1600 x 900, this makes everything much larger on the screen. I then reduce the resolution in the game to 1280 x 720.  I now have a game window which can easily be moved around on the screen but is also using a much lower resolution which means it will render more quickly.  Add to that fact that I play in "High" resolution when in tournaments, rather than Ultra High when playing pickup games.

Once you fiddle with your game's graphics from very low to very high you'll find the quality and resolution settings that work good for your machine. When a demanding course comes along and you are at "High" quality, just drop to medium or low for that particular course. 

This may all sound tedious but it is not after you make yourself do it a dozen times.  Just like our first computers, we had a learning curve to understand how to custimize our settings.  It becomes very easy and fast in a short time.

Welcome new members to PG!  We are growing and we will be huge in numbers in 2016. ;)

⛳                          🏌️‍♂️                             🏌️‍♀️                              ⛳

xqc8g0-2.png

🏌️‍♂️                                                       🏌️‍♀️
Userbenchmarks:
Custom Build 2019

⛳                          🏌️‍♂️                             🏌️‍♀️                              ⛳

51049423131_98884de356_w.jpg

#53 letorgan

letorgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 24 December 2015 - 06:07 PM

Superbe mise a jour merci pour votre cadeau de Noël !!! 

Joyeuse fête de fin d'année ...

Torgan

#54 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 07:44 PM

Big Thank you!!

The german translation is funny @Schwarzwald :) :) :)

Ah shoot! Did I screw it up? I used google translate

#55 Perculator

Perculator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 07:45 PM

A prob on the two new courses - The ball leaves before the club reaches it. Not a real elegant look. The problem did not show up on the new practice course just the two new user designed courses.

• footslogger and Alpedra like this

i5-4670K | GeForce GTX 970 4GB | 16GB DDR3 RAM | Windows 10 64 bit.

#56 Griz891

Griz891

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 07:58 PM

I haven't played PG in a couple months, but thought I'd try out the new update. The new courses look nice, but what a big fps hit. I'm also experiencing the ball leaving before the clubhead hits it. I've tried adjusting the graphic settings to no avail. I doubt if I'll play PG for awhile, but I just thought that maybe the devs might find this information useful.....Merry Xmas everyone and have a great New Year!!!

#57 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 08:08 PM

Yeah, they know about the ball.  It'll be fixed with the release of the ani.

#58 AwYea

AwYea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationWest Virginia

Posted 24 December 2015 - 08:18 PM

I'm also experiencing the ball leaving before the clubhead hits it.

I just found a solution to this. Turn stop rendering during swing to OFF.

I usually always keep this on but, i was getting the out of sync swing and ball flight after this new update. I was getting 60 fps also. So, i knew it wasn't my graphics settings.

PG + OGT & MP = Golfing Bliss! 

Steam-ahhyeaa

#59 clubcaptain

clubcaptain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 08:19 PM

Is it possible to save graphic settings from within the game ?

I don't use high medium or low I tune things in and they become custom settings. If I then did change to medium or low it would be more than a 10 second job to dial in my custom settings again.

So the ability to save those custom settings would be a big help when tooing and froing.

PC specs...

Intel core I7 9700k 3.6 GHZ-Turbo 4.9 GHZ
64 GB Corsair vengeance  LPX DDR4 2400 MHZ
Asus PRIME Z390-P 
Nvidea GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
X box 360 wired controller
Windows 10 PRO NA 64 bit

#60 Trath

Trath

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 24 December 2015 - 08:33 PM

If players don't have at least an i5 3ghz+ cpu, and a mid range graphics card that is less than 2 years old they cant expect the game to run smoothly on medium to high settings. Unity 5 is a 2015 graphics engine that can produce some beautiful, realistic courses within reason, but I don't want the game to be held back by antiquated equipment, we have pause frame render on swing already to sort this problem out.

Adjust your graphics settings so that the most graphics intensive courses run the way you want them to. If it's a coding issue, hopefully that will be sorted out separately.

Asus ROG Maximus Gene - i7 4790k @ 4.7ghz - Radeon R9 FURY - 16 gigs ram - Antec 750W Gold PSU - Samsung EVO 840 250 gig SSD - LG 29UM67 Monitor - Logitech G502 mouse

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users