#121 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 28 January 2016 - 04:01 PM

I think because the thread is new animation/RTS, some of the discussion has been more about the RTS than the actual animation and then drifted on to playing it on tours and then spilled further in to handicaps.

#122 Justin9926

Justin9926

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 04:07 PM

Well, I may be wrong but it seems like it became more of a handicap thread

Asus ROG G751JT-CH71 Gaming Laptop

2.5 GHz Intel Core i7– 4710HQ

Nvidia GTX 970M 3GB GDDR5

16 GB DDR3

Windows 10 64-bit

#123 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 28 January 2016 - 05:30 PM

Well, I may be wrong but it seems like it became more of a handicap thread

Yes, became.

Don't know if you've read the thread from Page 1, but you would see the first 4 pages are all about the ani and the new RTS Mouse and Controller swings. It then drifts on to stats and then it further moves on to the topic of handicaps.

So yes, it became about handicaps, but then many threads on here do rend to go a bit of the beaten track once someone brings a further topic in to the mix.

#124 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts
  • LocationSurfside Beach SC

Posted 28 January 2016 - 07:14 PM

Cheers G.

Its how I did it on my Links 2003 tour. Allowed folks to compete on 2 tours without the hassle of having to play 8 rounds. 4 rounds does the trick.

If you remember we used to run the Harbour Club Cup I believe we called it the same way as it was open to club members and all on LSPN and we had a scratch and Handicap if I remember correct and we did that for other events also.  Some good stuff back in the day when we had Ernie, Blade and Redskin running the show.

#125 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,599 posts
  • LocationWest End, Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Posted 28 January 2016 - 08:09 PM

It's simply transit lounge discussion Justin while we wait for the update plane to arrive which has been dragging on a bit. It's a good way to throw around ideas. Apologies. Can I just post some more about handicaps etc.as well as RTS stuff?

• Greensboronclion likes this

#126 Sinewiz

Sinewiz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts
  • LocationMichigan U.S.A.

Posted 28 January 2016 - 08:10 PM

There you go Justin.

P.S.: The chipping divot was odd (should be grass flying) ......  but there are divots!!!!

Not for long. ;)

Lakes of Taylor Golf Course

Links at Gateway Golf Club

#127 frank70

frank70

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 January 2016 - 08:22 PM

Not for long what? Man this little insider teasing is driving me nuts! :-)

#128 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 28 January 2016 - 08:35 PM

Not for long what? Man this little insider teasing is driving me nuts! :-)

Divots when chipping. Animations related to shot being played will be tweaked as we go, so divots are taken for more appropriate full shots and not when chipping.

• remers and frank70 like this

#129 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,599 posts
  • LocationWest End, Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Posted 28 January 2016 - 11:38 PM

So I'm wondering if there is the TourPro 'non-cancellation of swing' with RTS-MS. I notice in the videos a little pre-shot backswing which is impossible with N-CoS. There is the waggle in real life and the Nick O'Hearn half-swing as a nerve settler and to get the muscles moving.

I was also interested to read what Mike said. "...there is no ratio with the controller so distance is achieved through both backswing length and downswing speed." And from Joe, "The controller version of RTS doesn't use the tempo ratio but rather the length of backswing and speed of forward swing to determine the power of a shot." This seems to actually introduce acceleration into the controller swing. If so, this is a major new function and will have further implications about the relative difficulties and differences of swing types. Maybe there WILL be a split in the camp.

zmax-sim mentioned, "We will not be dividing tours into swing types any time soon." , but it might be sooner than later. Who knows. Still, OGT will probably not be the only game in town. And this also re-inforces the point I made when the question was raised about handicaps in that possibly the only way all swing types can 'compete' is to have full handicapping.

But you are right Frank; a handicap tournament is not strictly speaking true competition. It should be called a 'contest'. There are 40 or so regulars in the TourPro tourneys at OGT who don't mind a competition but I wonder how long the numbers will remain when a more encouraging contest comes along. You said yourself the numbers were falling away. 

Competition, contests, battles are interesting concepts. You'll find that the pursuit of parity is rife in a lot of sports. NASCARs and V8Supercars have strict parity rules to keep the spectacle and, I dare say, the contest for the drivers exciting. Horse racing is mainly about handicapping to give every horse a chance. You wouldn't get much of a price otherwise. Even professional golf has a form of parity in that the leaders tee off last when the conditions can deteriorate and the greens chop up and dry out for example. 

If I had given my wife a 40-0 head start each game in our tennis matches I would have still won easily. What did she expect? That I throw games, deliberatley miss-hit shots and call her shots in. Never. I will not be accused of match fixing. Anyway it was no fun for either of us.

#130 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 02:32 AM

Ted,

I might have to eat those words.  Since the RTSC will not have a tempo factor, it might not be fair to allow them to compete in a non handicapped tour such as tour pro.  Maybe another tour is needed.  Let's see numbers grow after release.

• Ted_Ball likes this

#131 Charles

Charles

RTSM forever!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • LocationHolland, Europe.

Posted 29 January 2016 - 07:04 AM

Thanks Frank for posting the new swings!! Finally a first peek at this! :wub: Looks very good. I see it's on amateur skills. Have you had to start all over again learning your swing? I notice a pause on the transition between up- and downswing. I guess this is a learning curve? Anyway, I'm impressed. With regard to the stance on the full shot it seems to me that the Ani is maybe a bit to much bending the knees at the set up position? Other then that it looks great. Also, I was wondering when the follow cam will always go around the Ani instead of through him while chipping and putting? Finally, I shure hope there is going to be some post-shot information on screen for the player? Something to show how the ball impact was (toe/heel/thin/fat etc). That's no aid, it's just some feedback on which a player can think about while playing. 

RTSM / Pro / In the bag: D,3/7W,1H,5i-60W,P.

* Favorite Designers: Skunky - DoGgs - RobC - IanK - PGA Pro - Gary Norman - DrTwist - Bortimus -

DPRoberts - High Fade - Classic Renditions - Matt Rose - Mikahenrik and ... Mike Jones! *

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect.

It is at the same time rewarding and maddening - and without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented".

= Arnold Palmer =

#132 frank70

frank70

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 January 2016 - 07:45 AM

@Charles

That wasn't me playing. I just found the link in the TGC forum (!!  ;) )

@Ted Ball

Interesting times are ahead of us. I normally appreciate the way of a lot of options in a computer game. But slowly i get the feeling that maybe it can be too much sometimes. We have now 5 different difficulty levels and 4, as i think, totally different swing mechanics. So different that i find it almost impossible to even the difficulty out. Where does that leave the currently rather small player base? Time will tell. But i don't see fields with clickers, RTS mouse, mouse swing and RTS controller. The endless discussions which swing is easier will maybe lead to an never ending tinkering by the devs - what would be bad for the game as a whole because this dev time should be used for things that are missing at the moment (there are quite a few).

TGC has one difficulty level and two swing types. That's obviously not enough. But 5 difficulty levels combined with 4 swing mechanics? You can do the math how many different combinations that can be. Only solution: Bring in another 400-500 tournament players with the official release and start different tours for different swing mechanics.

Handicaps: I think my 2cents about this topic sound harder as i mean it. A lot of guys play them and like them a lot. I play the PGA Tour at OGT and have absolutely no problem finishing a little lower although my gross score was pretty good. I like to play the game and play under the rules a certain tour offers. I just want that this scratch tour doesn't go away. I think that a competition on the highest level without handicaps is important for the game.

You never know how many good players will pop up to the scene when the game is released. And i am totally convinced that when the putting process is made more realistic (reading more difficult and therefore less made putts) that the scores will be coming together. The putting stats of the best players at the 2nd tier are as good as the stats of the top guys. The reason for the scoring difference is probably the long game. If that would be a tad more difficult as well the best players would face more 15 footers instead of 10 footers or 25 footers instead of 17 footers. So the birdie rate would drop . The best would make maybe 3 less birdies the 2nd tier maybe 2 less.

#133 frank70

frank70

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 January 2016 - 08:30 AM

There you go Justin.

P.S.: The chipping divot was odd (should be grass flying) ......  but there are divots!!!!

Ah, pitch marks are in as well!! But please: Don't leave a pitch mark on the green after a little chip  ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users