26 replies to this topic

#21 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:47 AM

Splatmaps? Never heard of it.  Thank you very much, another thing I know nothing about. :mellow:

Yet look at the beautiful holes you've been creating. 

The only thing I suspect we will need to be aware of with splat maps is that Unity creates one of them for every four terrain textures you have, OR PART THEREOF. Four textures = one splat map, five textures = two splat maps, eight = two splat maps.

Unity does not store your painted terrain. During gameplay it creates your terrain from your textures and the splat maps (which simply tell it where to paint your textures and how strongly). Eight textures takes Unity just as long to paint as five, but five take twice as long to paint as four.

If you've created a course with nine terrain textures that stutters in the game, a healthy trimming-down might be reducing that to eight.

• highfade likes this

#22 Jimbobh

Jimbobh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:49 PM

I just ran into a problem with what I guess might relate to the splat maps. After importing my terrain and adding the jpg, I painted all the rough grass areas around all the fairways and greens. I then decided to work on the rocky edges of the coast line. I sculpted then painted with a rock texture, then painted in a walking path with a dirt texture. All was fine until I added the 5th texture, I now get this error message when trying to paint anything.

"Failed to create Object Undo, because the action is too large. Clearing undo buffer
UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()"

I can still paint, but cannot undo anything. If I do an undo, it deletes all the textures, and have lost all the previous work. I have tried reducing the size of the terrain, the jpg image, reduced the polygons in the mesh. I set up the terrain similar to what was posted in a different topic..

terrain width 2413  

terrain length 3580  

terrain height 75  

heightmap Res. 2049  

detail res. 2048  

detail res. per patch 8  

control tex. 2048  

base tex. 1024

All works fine until I add that 5th texture. I have googled the problem and searched the unity forums with no luck, so any help will be appreciated.

Gigabyte ga-z68x-ud3h-b3 Motherboard

Intel Core i5-2400 CPU@3.1GHz 3.70GHz

GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
16GB Ram   (2)G.Skill Ripjaws F3-10666L9S-8GBXL
Windows 7 Home Premium

#23 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:56 PM

Its to do with your available memory. If you dont have enough available this is the message you sometimes get.

#24 Jimbobh

Jimbobh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:08 PM

Thanks Mike, I have 8 gigs of ram now, and it only happens when adding the 5th texture. I will try to figure out how to alot more memory to unity, or buy another 8 gig of ram

GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
Windows 7 Home Premium

#25 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:53 PM

It happens with me regarding using Unity and the CF too.. I don't worry though..

I can press play on the Unity side, and it clears the buffer, then return to the editor and I have an undo option again.

#26 Jimbobh

Jimbobh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:37 AM

I don't believe it's a memory issue, I have 5.9 gb of available memory with unity running. Changing the control texture resolution to 1024 seems to solve the problem, but then I lose the smaller brushes for detail editing.

GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
Windows 7 Home Premium

#27 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:59 AM

I don't believe it's a memory issue, I have 5.9 gb of available memory with unity running. Changing the control texture resolution to 1024 seems to solve the problem, but then I lose the smaller brushes for detail editing.

I'm using 1024 control texture, too. All the golf course details, fw, green etc, will be much more precise with CF meshes, you can really place the control points exactly where you want. The remainder of the terrain plot, where at worst a very poor shot will end up very rarely, is sufficiently far away to go for the lower control texture resolution.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users