#21 Ron Piskorik

Ron Piskorik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • LocationFlorham Park, NJ

Posted 22 May 2014 - 12:04 PM

Will there be the option to play the mouse swing in both vertical and horizontal mode?

I much prefer the horizontal swing, as although it makes playing much harder, it feels so much more like a real golf swing than moving the mouse down and up.

I too would like a horizontal swing mode.  I find it much more comfortable than the vertical swing.

I also like the use of tempo to partially counter the use of a straight edge.

I have an idea that would not effect the game play but would let you know if you were possibly playing with an edger.  Keep a statistic of how perfectly straight a players shots are hit.  No one who doesn't use a straight edge hits 100% perfectly straight shots.  It would also be a good stat to show when you are setting up a game with someone you don't know.  That would allow you to decide whether or not to  join the round.  It could also be used  to set up groups of players who play the same way.  If you prefer to play for the lowest scores possible, use an edge and join a group with everyone close to 100%.  If you prefer a greater challenge, join a group where the players have a lower percents.

I was just thinking that the long term statistic could be manipulated by playing free hand sometimes.  This could be countered by keeping statistics for all rounds and looking to see if there are too many outlier rounds (approximately more than 2 or 3 standard deviations from the mean).

Even if the long term statistic isn't perfect,  showing the  percents for all the players for the round you are playing would be worthwhile. 

Ron

Alienware Area 51 R2
Windows 10 Home (64bit)
Intel® Core™ i7-5820K Six Core (15MB Cache, Overclocked up to 3.9 GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
Intel® X99 Chipset (Intel® DHX99 PCH)
32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 2133MHz SDRAM Memory
256GB SSD 6Gb/s Main
Centauri CPU heatsink
4TB 5400RPM SATA 6Gb/s
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti with 6GB GDDR5
Killer™ E2200 Integrated 10/100/1000 Gigabit Network Card
Integrated Creative Labs Sound Blaster Recon3Di
Alienware™ 850 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply
Dual Layer DVD Burner (DVD±RW, CD-RW)
Logitech G810 Artemis Spectrum gaming keyboard
Dell 27 Gaming Monitor - S2716DG at 2560 X 1440
Logitech Gaming Mouse G502

3 Click PRO Level

#22 FixAmer1st

FixAmer1st

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • LocationSun City Center, FL

Posted 22 May 2014 - 02:56 PM

Links 2003 had an anti-edger programmed in the game.

From what I know (remember) the game kept track of the straightness of the the players swing and if it encountered a 100% (or close to that) shot it watched for another on the next shot. If it encountered 2 or 3, or some figure I can't remember, in a row it programmed in a random swing error to the next few, 5 or 10, shots to stop the 100% swing.

It was hoped to discourage players from using an edger.

Jerry

Links Golf
CPU_Match_Play_Tour.jpg
CPU_Director_2013.jpg
Administrator of KISS Tours

Dell XPS Desktop
4th Generation Intel Core i7-4790 @ 4.0 GHz
16 GB DDR3 Memory
Win7 64 bit Home Premium
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 4GB
1TB SATA HardDrive

#23 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:02 PM

Ok befoe we go way off on the edging topic.. I have the answer...  I would say that the very few people who sometimes think a TS'er is edging are most likely using the 3 click method, occasionally it may be a TS'er on a TS'er. So if PG runs tournaments as long as there are options to play 3clik on 3 clik, TS on TS and 3 clik vs TS, there should be no accusations of edging, as the 3 cliker can play stricktly against other 3 clikers. 

Im a TS'er and I like to play just other TS'ers but also like to play against 3 clickers, some of my best friends are 3 clickers.. Options..

The way we used to combat against someone that you really felt was cheating, is you just don't play that person again, so having the ability to see who would be joining your game or the tournament before it started was an effective way to handle that also..

Same thing, If I were to think most 3 clikers cheated and I had a way to only play TS'ers, then that would eliminate that..

Of course, nothing you do will stop some from claiming someone else cheated no matter what... :)

• Maverick Spirit likes this

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#24 fungolfer

fungolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 07:30 PM

Why don't we just wait until every1 can try the swing. IMO the cobination of str8 and tempo in the swing is a good thing. Lets see what happens. I never played TS but I also never called any TSer a cheater. I know that if some1 wants to cheat there is almost no way to stop him.

Who cares...

#25 ed dawson

ed dawson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:00 AM

I've played TS and used an edge - I've played Click and used yardage charts.  I never scored better edging with TS than I did Clicking with a good yardage chart.  Any control method can be abused. 

#26 fran21356

fran21356

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 27 May 2014 - 11:37 PM

For the fun of it I used a ruler once in Links 2003. It didn't work and wasn't fun anyway. If it worked I still would have put it away.. After all the game of golf is about challenging yourself to see how well you master the game and how you compare to other players. Using an aid is like writing the answers to a test on your hand, you'll recieve a passing grade but you'll never respect yourself.

#27 Nunnayo

Nunnayo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:15 AM

So Andrew.. all an edger, axis disabler  and mouse sensitivity expert has to worry about is tempo?  great!

You sure do know all the ways to cheat (assist) in your computer golf swing.  I point the finger at YOU as a cheat.

Negative Nancy.  How many more ways can you be scared to play others?  How many other ways can you attempt to delay the game's release even further?

#28 Tigers Agent

Tigers Agent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationNext Door.

Posted 29 May 2014 - 02:25 AM

You sure do know all the ways to cheat (assist) in your computer golf swing.  I point the finger at YOU as a cheat.

Negative Nancy.  How many more ways can you be scared to play others?  How many other ways can you attempt to delay the game's release even further?

no dumbass.. my comments should only offend the hacks.  I see it worked.

#29 fran21356

fran21356

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 30 June 2014 - 12:40 PM

If your talking about me Member your wrong. I'm not a cheat! I used the ruler once when I was practicing and not in competition. Don't make accusations unless you know the circumstances that i was refering to.

#30 Andrew

Andrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 June 2014 - 03:56 PM

So Andrew.. all an edger, axis disabler  and mouse sensitivity expert has to worry about is tempo?  great!

I guess, the purpose of an edge tool or axis disabler is to ensure a straight shot.  In PG it will not deliver a straight shot and therefore is useless.  As to only relying on tempo well the concept of tempo is that it is much easier to either be too fast or too slow on purpose that to be 100% exactly and so it is easier to play the game aiming to the left and hitting a fade or vice versa.  As soon as you are not aiming at the pin a straight edge is pointless.  Ergo, any advantage people have from edging is lost as they are playing a more difficult game than the rest of us.

#31 fran21356

fran21356

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:59 PM

Where would the fun be in that anyway? I have a natural right to left swing plain when i use the mouse so i would be playing a fade as my usual shot but could always make a concious effort to reverse that and hit a draw. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users