#41 Keith

Keith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 16 August 2014 - 05:20 PM

Thanks fellas..very helpful.  MUCH easier than creating a script.  Wanted to know how to do this because it may be necessary when CF is released.  Any problems I bump into could probably be much easier diagnosed via a screenshot.  Thanks again!

#42 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:11 AM

Looks lovely, Keith. The rock texture a the bottom left of your image is a real winner! 

A few little general tips- and feel free to ignore them by all means

• Photobucket is okay, but imgur.com will allow you to post your images in original size
  • In Unity, go to Edit > Project > Quality settings and select "Fantastic", before snapping your screen shot. It will look even better - Your trees will cast shadows, for instance
  • About shadows, perhaps check your directional light in the inspector and alter its shadow settings as well
  • Those huge rocky cliffs in the background are just about okay (as long as they remain in the distance) but their texture is already stretched out dangerously because Unity terrains do not display vertical drops reliably.
  • Scaling: The white building looks too small compared to the tree sizes around the pond. I mention this because it's always very tricky to import different objects and then give them the correct scale. Let's assume that all the trees are properly scaled (unless you cranked up their sizes a lot), and that leaves the building as being too small. You can "measure" sizes of things by creating a game object cube, then setting the sizes of that cube (5m, 10m or the intended scale of the hut...) and placing it near the object you need to check to get a good reference. (Method recommended by shimonko, all credit to him)
  • And finally, your grasses seem a bit distorted. That's because they are already bending to the default wind at creation. So just set the wind to 0 in your terrain settings, for now, to better see what they look like.

...or don't. Nice work!

Oh, and to enlarge your Unity scene window to full screen size, place your cursor over it and then press the SHIFT and the SPACE keys simultaneously. Same keys to return to previous view.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#43 Keith

Keith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 17 August 2014 - 03:50 PM

Thnx K11..will make note of those tips.  I try to create landscapes every now and then to keep my Unity knowledge in tact while waiting on CF.  Will put some of your knowledge to use in the next scene I create.

#44 scottpussehl

scottpussehl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 09 October 2014 - 08:59 PM

I will try my best with the heightmap thing. For now, I have a photoshop course layout. The heightmap will take me quite a while, as it's my first go at it. I seem to have an affinity for wavy hand-drawn fairways, some of that will probably go.

CourseLayoutPhotoshop_zpsc690cf56.jpg

When the time comes, how would I import this into Unity as a terrain texture?

I hope you don't kill me for this, but I am going to say it anyway.

2 hole up on the right side par 5 ish tee shot over water and there is a split in the fairway for the tee shot.

I dont understand why you would have the fairway that goes to the right of the split, it is a longer path from the tee and also from there to the green so it is a less desired path and along with that there is the water that come more into play along that side. So the more direct and shorter path left side of the fairway is also easier. I don't know who would try to hit to the right side of this fairway due to it being a disadvantage. 

In real life that part of the fairway would most likely get cut out soon after opening due to cost to maintain it and the lack of impact it has on the hole outside of looks?

Please let me know if you think I am an idiot for this

#45 Adam T1

Adam T1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 12:55 AM

I hope you don't kill me for this, but I am going to say it anyway.

2 hole up on the right side par 5 ish tee shot over water and there is a split in the fairway for the tee shot.

I dont understand why you would have the fairway that goes to the right of the split, it is a longer path from the tee and also from there to the green so it is a less desired path and along with that there is the water that come more into play along that side. So the more direct and shorter path left side of the fairway is also easier. I don't know who would try to hit to the right side of this fairway due to it being a disadvantage. 

In real life that part of the fairway would most likely get cut out soon after opening due to cost to maintain it and the lack of impact it has on the hole outside of looks?

Please let me know if you think I am an idiot for this

I'll say up front that with school in full swing I haven't had the time to keep working on my course right now, but hope to pick it back up over break.

Good question! It's not at all obvious from the drawing why I would design the hole that way. I actually redesigned the hole around the split fairway concept. The reason why relates to my eventual realization of the updated design. First off, I have redone the shape of the fairway but kept the split. The split remains because of how I have imagined the green complex.  The green slopes moderately from back to front and somewhat sharply from left to right, and left of the green will be a chipping area a bit below the putting surface. Miss it more than 3 or 4 feet to the left and the ball will roll away from the green. The chip shot from a miss on the left side can make for an almost certain bogey if short-sided. There will be a large, deep bunker guarding the front left portion of the green, and the putting surface is semi-blind from the fairway, making it tough to judge depth. If the pin is all the way on the left side it may be favorable to play to the right fairway if the player wants to have any chance to hit it close. This is hole 13, a par 4  that will play around 430-470 yards (depending on physics/finalized club distances) from an elevated tee with a slightly uphill approach shot, supposed to be driver and 6 or 7 iron in neutral wind conditions. 

I have a picture of the design in the photo and the updated possible design next to it. 

http://i1172.photobu...zpsdb71a2b8.jpg

P.S. Take par and run. 

#46 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 06:26 AM

The Unity terrain actually adjusts in detail as it moves away from the camera. We call it LOD'ing ie 'Level Of Detail' It's not just for display purposes but something that actually happens to the mesh.

You can set various levels of LOD by using the pixel error settings on the terrain inspector. We generally use a value of '1' for best resolution but you can save quite a few polygons by using '2'

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users