#1 Brucey Mc

Brucey Mc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationTeesside, UK #UTB

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:21 PM

Just wondering which version of Unity people are using these days?

I have just gone to version 4.5 on the Mac, I was having some issues on 4.3.4 when I would get the swirly wheel of death, even with 16GB of RAM.  Hopefully the new version will sort that out.

I note that version 5 is coming out soon, is this the version change that is requiring a rewrite of the course build feature that Andrew was referring to yesterday?

#2 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 02:11 AM

I'm 4.5.0 on PC but still get my fair share of lockups. 16GB also, but usually that's pretty full with other stuff anyway.

#3 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 02:12 AM

I was shocked to hear Andrew mention the unity packager was now a pro-only feature and sadly empathise with PP.

I assume by "unity packager" Andrew was referring to the asset packager, as in the "Export package" option. If so, that's what hundreds of hobbyists use to create assets in the asset store with. I just can't get over this. Andrew also said it is now only a pro feature. To my knowledge, no-one outside Unity has version 5,  only 4.6 betas.

#4 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 02:10 PM

I'm on something with 4.5, too. Mac on Mavericks, 6 GB RAM. Works decently enough for me - there's usually a few seconds of loading delay early on in every session, when I'm going for my first time pivoting/moving the scene view, but that sorts itself out and other than that it works fine.

There is something a fellow beta tester recommended to me (he hasn't outed himself so I can't give him due credit), which really helped when I had crashes at the start. Let me open another window and go look for his post...

(Passage of time)

Ah, here it is, in the private forums, from February the 4th. No idea if it's relevant at all, but most of my Unity birthing pains stopped after following this.

Unity /Edit / Preferences / Packages

There are 3 choices External / Custom & Internal.  I have mine set on Internal.

So far there is nothing in Unity help to explain the different choices.

If you choose Custom it asks for a URL, so that would not be on your Mac.

If you choose External, I don't know  :huh:

That's why I chose Internal, I'm assuming ( & we know what that makes me !!!!) that this option either keeps the packages & or saves them somehow within Unity or somewhere on your disk drive.

My thinking is ( & it gets a bit suspect at this time of night) that if you have the option on External, then somehow Unity is trying to communicate with this external source & when you had the problem & tried to close it & restart, that is was still communicating with it & hence the error.

Well that's my theory & I'm sticking to it till one of you "Brainiacs" out there tell me I'm full of it.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 June 2014 - 03:05 PM

No, its not the export package feature.  Its the internal code base that creates asset bundles.  Asset bundles are not the same as packages.  An asset bundle can be read and loaded by a game executable but cannot be loaded or created by the free version of unity

#6 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:39 PM

Aha, all adds up now. Thanks.

#7 Keith

Keith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:47 PM

Guys I have a major Unity issue I hope someone here can help me with.  I recently got a new computer and installed the latest free version of Unity.  For whatever reason Unity will not recognize any change to the Terrain settings. I can't set the Terrain height..when I enter a value and hit Flatten my terrain disappears from view.  Also changing the size/resolution of the terrain has no effect. The terrain tools themselves work fine, all except lowering height and that is due to the terrain settings not acepting any height value I enter.

Anyone have any ideas?  I am at wits end with this.  I hope it is just a simple setting that needs changing, but I have no clue what that may be.  The only change I made before starting was changing the scale factor of the trees I imported.  I don't thnk that would cause this issue.

#8 Brucey Mc

Brucey Mc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:49 PM

Have you tried exporting your terrain height map, deleting whats there and then creating a new terrain and importing the height map back in?

#9 Keith

Keith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:53 PM

Not using a heightmap..just creating terrains and then sculpting with tools.

#10 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:23 AM

Keith, are you able to put a screenie on here for us to see your settings? Here are mine I'm using for my Aston CC course..

2po4lte.jpg

Regarding the heightmap suggestion, you misunderstood. At the bottom of my image, is the ability to export your terrain, as a heightmap. This allows you to back it up and reimport etc.

#11 Keith

Keith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 13 June 2014 - 02:21 PM

Gotcha Ian.  Very sorry I misunderstood your suggestion Brucey.  Last night I completely uninstalled Unity and will reinstall sometime today.  I do remember getting a "Unity Editor has stopped working" prompt..something that had never happened before, and I have been goofing around with Unity over a yr. now.  Hoping a fresh install fixes this. 

#12 Brucey Mc

Brucey Mc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:39 PM

No worries Keith hope you get your problem sorted

#13 Keith

Keith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 15 June 2014 - 02:07 AM

Well, tried all of the above and nothing has solved my issue.  The terrain settings in Inspector have absolutely no effect on the terrains I create.  I have seen in the Unity forums that this problem has popped up before and was sometimes solved by switching to different Inspector layouts, but I tried that and it had no effect. 

Could this be a firewall or antivirus issue..possibly blocking something that Unity needs to run correctly?  There has to be a setting or program somewhere causing conflict that is at the root of this.  I have had no problems with Unity until I got this computer.

#14 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 05:52 AM

I've not seen a flatten bug within Unity to help further unfortunately.

The issue you have exists when creating a NEW terrain, using the above settings I used..? (Can you provide a screenshot or two showing what exactly the problem is)

#15 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 09:00 AM

Could this be a firewall or antivirus issue..possibly blocking something that Unity needs to run correctly?  There has to be a setting or program somewhere causing conflict that is at the root of this.  I have had no problems with Unity until I got this computer.

Firewall - definitely not. I run Unity completely blocked from the net without issue.

Antivirus - unlikely.

Graphics drivers - I've seen unexplainable things in other 3d software fixed by installing of latest graphics drivers and/or reinstalling DirectX.

No firm answers as I haven't seen this happen, but you could play around with Ctrl-R to force the screen to update, or select the terrain in the Hierarchy and press 'F' to bring focus on it after it has disappeared.

#16 Keith

Keith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 16 June 2014 - 05:15 PM

Fellas I think I have it solved.  Completely cleared my computer of Unity 4.5 and went back to 4.3.  Lo and behold the Unity Inspector is now recognizing the value changes/inputs I select.  I flattened my height map at 20 ft. and it did not do the crazy disappearing act.  I can now dig into the terrain.  I have NO idea what caused that bizarre situation in 4.5, but whatever.  As of now I am back in the game.  Have some work to do reimporting assets and recreating bump maps, but that is not a problem.

Thanks to Brucey, Ian, and shimonko for offering help.

• Brucey Mc and IanD like this

#17 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 27 June 2014 - 10:40 PM

Mine is missing a Terrain tab... is this normal?

It's pretty much made all the tutorials useless to me as everybody in the videos has this tab. I'm still using XP, does that make a difference?

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#18 Jimbobh

Jimbobh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 27 June 2014 - 10:53 PM

It should be under the Game Object tab. GameObject  - Create Other - Terrain

Gigabyte ga-z68x-ud3h-b3 Motherboard

Intel Core i5-2400 CPU@3.1GHz 3.70GHz

GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
16GB Ram   (2)G.Skill Ripjaws F3-10666L9S-8GBXL
Windows 7 Home Premium

#19 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 11:22 PM

The terrain menu choice moved when version 4 of Unity came out - the tutorials were done before that.

#20 Brucey Mc

Brucey Mc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 11:13 AM

Those tutorials are at least a year old by now.....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users