47 replies to this topic

#1 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 02:00 PM

Hello, this is the continuation of my Show & Tell thread, but no longer in the CF section, seeing as now its rightful place is in the Perfect Golf department.  A few days ago, PP issued a pre-alpha version of the game for testing to their CF beta team. With no little trepidation many of us gingerly unpacked and installed it - and quickly saw that it was good.

Well, mostly.

There were bugs, glitches, flaws, errors and irritations galore for us, which we suffered with stoical heroism, as was our contractual duty, and which we assiduously reported back to our masters, as was our prime contractual duty as well.

Suffice to say that this pre-game is showing a tremendous lot of promise, but that it's not yet quite ready to be unleashed onto the world at large. 

Still, for me there were intense moments of joy, too.  Mostly when I was able to play my Maiden Round on the course designed by me these last months, Willow Heath. And since so many in the public section are starving for any tidbits of news from the game, I must share a few crumbs with you now. 

Ther following images are all in-game screen shots. Don't ask for a video just yet - it's my top priority, but we're still a couple of game updates away from it. Also, please understand that all of what you are about to see is "work in progress" - bound to be questioned, refined, perhaps even completely altered as the development of the game progresses. Anyways, here are a few in-game stills, snapped from the main or the replay cameras as they happened:

1: Down the middle from the 1st tee:

WH-IG1_zpsbea92ef2.jpg

2. Finding the green and rolling down the gully in the back on the 2nd:

WH-IG2_zps5e7fc5d7.jpg

One of the drawbacks of this pre-alpha, btw, is that I am not yet able to play it in full screen mode. I could, and indeed I tried and did, but that would only invite desaster of the strange malfunctiony and heavy crashy type sooner rather than later. Moving on...

3. 3rd hole: The Dogleg and the Tiger Line

WH-IG3_zps81150f3d.jpg

This Dogleg is not meant to be taken on so boldly. Yet due to some quirks and whatnots about exporting an user-made golf course in the Untiy free version, some dimension have not quite performed as designed by me. As I said earlier, this is all very raw, very fragile and very prone to malfunctions...

On to 4: Overshooting the flag on the 3rd green.

WH-IG4_zpsdb2ed09a.jpg

And thanks to the power invested in me by the allmighty Mulligan, I got a second, third, eighth chance to do better:

5: Gettting it right on the 3rd green:

WH-IG5_zpsc76e522d.jpg

and 6: missing the birdie by not much at all on the par 3 6th

WH-IG6_zps8e41cdfc.jpg

7. Problem on the 7th: The pin is at the front left of the green, covered from sight by a mound in front of it. But there's is a key for that, bringing the flag close to me and setting the aim at my target. A bit like in Links... 

WH-IG7_zps0c326727.jpg

I'm not exactly a fan of that spotlight at the bottom, but let's start cogitating about this detail somewhere in late beta - this is pre-alpha, there are more pressing issues. Like for instance, a new flag model to replace the current one, which is just plain wrong! I'm sure you're recognizing it...

And 8: Driving the green on the short and driveable par 4 8th. There is a ball tracer function for those who want to see more, I have set my ball to "comet", giving it a very short trail and a bit of flicker to show me where it is. This, as most other shots from this angle, have been made whilst watching the "Reverse Replay" of one of my shots.

WH-IG8_zpsb47c6418.jpg

You may have spotted an isolated swing meter and a few menu buttons on these screenies. Well, you're wrong. You didn't. You imagined them, because it has been announced that all these things will change. 

And that's it for today. Be well, everybody.

• Maverick Spirit and remers like this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#2 Brucey Mc

Brucey Mc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationTeesside, UK #UTB

Posted 08 June 2014 - 02:21 PM

Great pics K11, were there any stock courses for you to play or just your own?

#3 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 02:35 PM

There also was Shadowlands by Mr. Mike Jones, which indeed is an impressive and beautiful work of art which I enjoyed a lot when playing half a dozen rounds there, from various tees and with or without dynamic skies.

There will be more courses as time goes on, I'm certain of it. The entire idea behind the pre-alpha being us testing the game, and not us having oodles of fun frolicking around on many splendid courses, I suspect that the initial amount of real estate has been kept small on purpose...

Having placed Willow Heath at the heart of my ongoing blogging around about CF, I chose to stick with it and to follow its sinuous path from inception to final completion...

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

<<<<<

#4 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:13 PM

Thanks for the info and pics Kablammo!

Not sure if you can comment on this, but I'm curious of your initial opinion of the ball physics?  

I'm still playing LINKS 2003, and if PP can get the physics spot on, this is going to be an amazing game. 

#5 Brucey Mc

Brucey Mc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationTeesside, UK #UTB

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:16 PM

Thanks for keeping the Mac end up as they say K11!
  • Erik Lugris likes this

#6 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 04:04 PM

bortimus, the problem with your question is that, for the life of me, I couldn't assuredly tell when and if the physics will be "spot on", lacking both the Links experience and the general scientific wherewhital to make such a call. There is room for improvement in certain areas of the ball physics in the current version, imo, while other areas strike me as being distinctly "spoton-ish" already.

So, yes and no, give or take, a bit of this and a bit of that... It's all in flux and the flow seems to be pointing in the right direction - to expect a raw pre-alpha version to perform flawlessly and perfectly right from the start, now that would be a bit of big ask anyway.

• Erik Lugris likes this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#7 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 04:12 PM

I understand Kablammo.  

Maybe more specifically things like:

Did the ball draw or fade in a realistic fashion based on how much you "missed" your snap? I know this will vary according to difficulty levels, but just a general feel.

Did the ball roll/react realistically to different ground textures?

Stuff like that.

Again, thanks for keeping us in the loop!

#8 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 08 June 2014 - 04:43 PM

Did the ball draw or fade in a realistic fashion based on how much you "missed" your snap? I know this will vary according to difficulty levels, but just a general feel.

I'm pretty sure that PP, like HBS and The Golf Club, said there would be no difficulty levels in this game.

life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#9 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:17 PM

I'm pretty sure that PP, like HBS and The Golf Club, said there would be no difficulty levels in this game.

Even better!

#10 Barry

Barry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationNorth London

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:49 PM

Kablammo what do you mean it was announced that the swing meter will change, Has anyone said there will be no 3 click meter at all ?

#11 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:19 PM

Barry,  the answer is no....

#12 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:28 PM

The swing meter will change as the one in the pre-ALPHA is basically a placeholder swingmeter to allow the game to be tested on PC. It is not the final version swing meter.

#13 pingzing

pingzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • LocationQld Australia

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:45 PM

hey k11

this is exciting news mate, thanks for all your effort and thanks for sharing your time and experieneces with us

what pc specs are you running, cpu and especially graphics card, and how did game run, any lags, were you excited with the game play.

thanks mate

stephen  down under with a big smile ,  happy days

golf is the only game i know where you shout 4, shoot 6, write down 5

#14 KenR

KenR

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 03:19 AM

Thanks for the info.....

Ken

#15 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:03 AM

bortimus

We are not equipped yet to even know if we hit the snap or not - the provisional swing meter (there will be a new one, most likely of the 3-Click variety) does not indicate where and how we snap our shots. Clear mishits are guided away from the intended line left or right, that much I can say, and incur a hefty distance penalty. But the entire eco-system needed for adding spin to a shot, top, back, left and right, including a telling swing meter and updated ground physics collider, is not completed yet. Andrew has promised an updated Driving Range package for this asap.

Again: This is not a finished product! Which first syllable of PRE-alpha do you struggle to understand?  ;) 

Not sure yet about difficulty levels. There is a suggestion afloat about different helps being activated on the swing meter or not... This is another beta topic, we're talking about PRE-alpha for now.

pingzing, my PC specs are Apple Mac Pro, OS Mavericks, 6 GB Ram, very old ATI Radeon HD 5770 graphcis card. My rig was acquired in the summer of 2010. There was some lag, but that was to be expected.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#16 Barry

Barry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationNorth London

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:05 PM

Ok thanks Ian & Daz

#17 MERACE

MERACE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 05:20 PM

The swing meter will change as the one in the pre-ALPHA is basically a placeholder swingmeter to allow the game to be tested on PC. It is not the final version swing meter.

Daz:  

Do you know if PP are seriously considering adding an option for the 3-click system to be "meterless" and using the avatar as a meter?

-MERACE

#18 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:51 PM

Daz:  

Do you know if PP are seriously considering adding an option for the 3-click system to be "meterless" and using the avatar as a meter?

-MERACE

Don't quote me directly, but I think one or more of us did propose the possibility of having a swing mechanic for clickers that used the actual animation as the 'swing meter' instead of having a 2D swing meter on screen.

Obviously, this would be ideal, but we are limited to what PP have developed and how much hassle it would in incorporating this. FWIW, I used to play Links 386 and the meter was in time with the digitised animation's swing and over time I actually gauaged my swing by watching the animation rather than the swingmeter.

I know it was stated that they were trying to develop a 4 click meter, which would set power, snap and fat/thin strike. We have not had any updates on this or seen anything in the way of a meter, so this could still be a while off.

I believe the intention is to have a 2-click or 3 click meter, a la Links, the possibility of a 4-click meter and also some form of RTS/Tru-swing type interface. As for a Powerstroke type interface, I have no idea as yet.

In the current pre-ALPHA, I am using the space bar to hit full shots and only using the mouse/swing meter for less than 100% shots and putting. The meter is very basic shot feedback wise and no shot setup options for draw, fade, punch, flop as yet. This is why it is pre-ALPHA, lol.

;)

#19 AlanR54NC

AlanR54NC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, USA

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:45 PM

Thanks Daz an K11 for the updates. Glad to see that there is in fact some substance to the hopes and dreams.  Even at pre-alpha the screenshots looked good. (those stills sure cover up the glitches)

K11, I am curious as to what Tara's take of PG is ? She seems to be one that would have an opinion  :)

Intel Core2 Duo E6750

4GB Ram

Win 7 64 bit

ATI  Radeon 5700

#20 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:38 PM

Ah yes, we haven't had a good Tara fantasy for quite some time... 

Well, she hasn't said anything specific about PG to me so far. Which is a good sign, she usually is very upfront with her complaints. Quite often, these days, she sports one of her irresistible faint smiles, you certainly know the one, the one with tight and straight lips bordered by deeply merry dimples. Like a shy girl about to burst into joyful giggles...

And I did overhear her hum a cheerful little ditty underneath her breath, more than once, whilst she was staring out the manor window and at the heath beyond.

I wish that dumb goose would get a grip and focus on her job, to be honest. Major revamps will have to be undertaken in order to align the CF course with the realities of PG; lots and lots of tee zone shifting to bring intended landing areas better into play; lots of green sculpting to make the boring ones meaner and the mean ones fair. Lots of small stuff than needs to be done still...I  really wish Tara wouldn't run off to the 1st tee twice a day, only to return to home base 4 hours later with a silly grin on her lovely face... I might have to have a word with her. 

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users