#41 Davefevs

Davefevs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:55 PM

@acrillix - maybe we will have to do course notes when we submit, and then let people use them at their peril!

I accept the Augusta comment....and even on my local course when the greens are obviously not tournie speed, a good player would seek to play to safe areas, rather than attack the pin on evey hole like most of do on links.

Perhaps PG will bring a bit more strategy to our play? Having said that none of like ruining a good round because of a dodgy pin. Then again one persons dodgy pin, is another's okay pin....sometimes it will depend on the angle you are putting it at.

#42 Armand

Armand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:41 PM

Not being a designer, I don't know if this suggestion is silly or not.  Could it be up to the designer to set the speed they want as fastest?  That way, the course and pins would be playable at the fastest speed (for that course).  This would be akin to the Use Course Conditions setting in Links, but without all the tweaking of textures to do so.

It would take a few holes or rounds to learn the speed of the greens for that course, and the green speeds wouldn't be consistent at all courses.  It makes sense in my mind, but not sure how others would feel or how difficult it would be to program into CF or PG.

Armand

• Dazmaniac, Acrilix and Davefevs like this

#43 JoeF

JoeF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Ontario, Canada

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:15 PM

You may be on to something, Armand. I remember Andrew musing about using a sliding bar "stimpmeter" to set green speeds in Links if they ever got around to making another mod version. It would not surprise me to see that idea used in Perfect Golf. If the designer could set a maximum stimp speed for their course, that would limit the maximum speed setting in-game, then the unplayable pin positions conundrum becomes somewhat moot as the designer wouldn't have to set pins playable at higher stimp settings. It would also allow courses to play much as they would IRL. A local muni might stimp out at a maximum of 7-9, a tournament course 10-12, and a major's course 13 and higher.

• Acrilix likes this

Intel i5-4570 cpu @ 3.2 GHz, ASUS Z74-K mb, ASUS GeForce GTX 960 gpu, 16 GB ram, 2 x SSD drives, Windows 10 64 bit

Steam name: sound_flier

#44 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:29 PM

@Armand and JoeF - I did make this suggestion in my third post.

life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#45 Davefevs

Davefevs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:27 PM

You may be on to something, Armand. I remember Andrew musing about using a sliding bar "stimpmeter" to set green speeds in Links if they ever got around to making another mod version. It would not surprise me to see that idea used in Perfect Golf. If the designer could set a maximum stimp speed for their course, that would limit the maximum speed setting in-game, then the unplayable pin positions conundrum becomes somewhat moot as the designer wouldn't have to set pins playable at higher stimp settings. It would also allow courses to play much as they would IRL. A local muni might stimp out at a maximum of 7-9, a tournament course 10-12, and a major's course 13 and higher.

Didn't someone make a stimp for Links?

#46 JoeF

JoeF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Ontario, Canada

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:18 PM

Obviously great minds think alike. :)

• Davefevs likes this

Intel i5-4570 cpu @ 3.2 GHz, ASUS Z74-K mb, ASUS GeForce GTX 960 gpu, 16 GB ram, 2 x SSD drives, Windows 10 64 bit

Steam name: sound_flier

#47 FixAmer1st

FixAmer1st

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • LocationSun City Center, FL

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:02 PM

Didn't someone make a stimp for Links?

Dave,

I had a designer create one for me when I was testing the 1.07 MOD at apcd.com. It had the Stimp Slope on a green texture. You moved the ball to the top of the Ramp, start it rolling down the slope and get a reading of how far it rolls. I used it to rank the various 1.07 Condition pairs.

Jerry

• Davefevs likes this

Links Golf
CPU_Match_Play_Tour.jpg
CPU_Director_2013.jpg
Administrator of KISS Tours

Dell XPS Desktop
4th Generation Intel Core i7-4790 @ 4.0 GHz
16 GB DDR3 Memory
Win7 64 bit Home Premium
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 4GB
1TB SATA HardDrive

#48 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:22 PM

Obviously great minds think alike. :)

My mind is far from great, these days!! :lol:

#49 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:24 PM

Dave,

I had a designer create one for me when I was testing the 1.07 MOD at apcd.com. It had the Stimp Slope on a green texture. You moved the ball to the top of the Ramp, start it rolling down the slope and get a reading of how far it rolls. I used it to rank the various 1.07 Condition pairs.

Jerry

Jerry, did you ever release the results? The only guide I had was Big Threes excellent chart.

#50 FixAmer1st

FixAmer1st

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • LocationSun City Center, FL

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:56 PM

Jerry, did you ever release the results? The only guide I had was Big Threes excellent chart.

It was done during the creation of the MOD and he 1.07 patches to get an idea of how the different conditions matched up as they were created and modified. If anybody wants it I can make a list and post it.

Jerry

Links Golf
CPU_Match_Play_Tour.jpg
CPU_Director_2013.jpg
Administrator of KISS Tours

Dell XPS Desktop
4th Generation Intel Core i7-4790 @ 4.0 GHz
16 GB DDR3 Memory
Win7 64 bit Home Premium
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 4GB
1TB SATA HardDrive

#51 Armand

Armand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:49 AM

Sorry for not reading your posts too closely, Lez!  It's quite possible I skimmed it over and then later came back and the thought popped back in my head.  As I look at the thread, your post was before my week-long work trip to Houston and my reply was upon my return.  Great suggestion, in my opinion!  :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users