#101 JoeF

JoeF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Ontario, Canada

Posted 02 May 2016 - 09:36 PM

Just human nature Joe.  Not sure it needs more of an explanation than that.

Quite true, mebby.  Is the glass half full or half empty?   :D

• mebby likes this

Intel i5-4570 cpu @ 3.2 GHz, ASUS Z74-K mb, ASUS GeForce GTX 960 gpu, 16 GB ram, 2 x SSD drives, Windows 10 64 bit

Steam name: sound_flier

#102 Richard

Richard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBismarck, ND

Posted 02 May 2016 - 09:42 PM

All fair points (for the most part Joe).  I think this all just comes down to communication.  I do realize that it's just not possible or reasonable to expect that the devs communicate everything they are thinking.  But when something gets taken away... it's got the potential to cause quite a stir.  Especially when it was a feature that was requested and subsequently added.

So from the user standpoint, without any further communication, it simply feels like something was yanked away for no good reason.  Because... with no communication why would we assume anything else??

If the users understood the reasons why (like what other issues were solved by taking this away) then it likely would've been met with a different reaction.  Nobody's perfect and we don't expect the devs to be perfect.  But on the flip side, the devs can't expect the community to be perfect either.  Communication solves these types of issues.

Just my $0.02.  Personally, if this puts more of an onus on improving the free cam then I'm all about it.  I've been DYING for improvements to the free cam because it's such an awesome feature but it's currently being underutilized because it's a pain to use.

Mebby, while I can understand much of your position, I disagree. My reason is that no matter what reason(s) are given, one or more community members would continue to argue, ad nauseam, in a futile attempt to get the developers to reverse their position or to just vent. Regardless of the reason for removing the 'hide ani' feature, any explanation will just not satisfy many. It's a lose, lose for the developers.

• mebby likes this
Richard

Posted Image

#103 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 02 May 2016 - 09:44 PM

Quite true, mebby.  Is the glass half full or half empty?   :D

My glass is always three quarters empty!

• JoeF likes this
life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#104 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,539 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 09:45 PM

@Richard:

I'm not really sure that makes any sense either… If you're going to do whatever you're going to do as a developer at least just explain it and tell us to pound sand...

Then we will at least know what the thought process was and who knows perhaps will agree with their viewpoint!
You never know

Did the developers not think anyone was using "hide avatar" I wonder?
I used it all the time!

#105 Richard

Richard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBismarck, ND

Posted 02 May 2016 - 09:51 PM

@Richard:

I'm not really sure that makes any sense either… If you're going to do whatever you're going to do as a developer at least just explain it and tell us to pound sand...

Then we will at least know what the thought process was and who knows perhaps will agree with their viewpoint!
You never know

Did the developers not think anyone was using "hide avatar" I wonder?
I used it all the time!

I have no idea. All I know that in testing, when asked we got the same explanation as the community was provided, no more, no less. I just do think that they are obligated to explain each and every change in either the construction of the game of the pricing of available options. Just my personal opinion.

Richard

Posted Image

#106 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,539 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 09:55 PM

I have no idea. All I know that in testing, when asked we got the same explanation as the community was provided, no more, no less. I just do think that they are obligated to explain each and every change in either the construction of the game of the pricing of available options. Just my personal opinion.

Nobody is obligated but there is such a thing as valuing your customers, especially the most loyal ones, which arguably are the ones on the forum at the moment.

Let's not forget that Mike came on here and asked us all to go out of our way to put reviews up for perfect golf.

It's not unfair to expect a courtesy explanation on a popular feature, to some, that got removed.

Nobody owes anybody anything but it sure does a lot for goodwill
  • Perculator, remers and flyer01 like this

#107 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 02 May 2016 - 10:01 PM

It has been said earlier in this thread (by Crow) that the 'hide golfer' was removed because of performance hits. So I presume from this the hit is only experienced when the golfer is hidden (pressing spacebar) or is it present at all times, due to how it is coded?

I'm not trying to drag out arguments on the matter, just curious. If the performance hit occurs only when golfer is hidden, can it hurt adding it back in and then leaving it to user discretion whether they use it or not?

:unsure:

#108 Richard

Richard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBismarck, ND

Posted 02 May 2016 - 10:02 PM

Nobody is obligated but there is such a thing as valuing your customers, especially the most loyal ones, which arguably are the ones on the forum at the moment.

Let's not forget that Mike came on here and asked us all to go out of our way to put reviews up for perfect golf.

It's not unfair to expect a courtesy explanation on a popular feature, to some, that got removed.

Nobody owes anybody anything but it sure does a lot for goodwill

Buck, please don't take this the wrong way because I sure understand your position and understand why you and others feel that way. However, the fact that you and I are going back and forth to be substantiates my point, Regardless of what I say, or you say, there is always a counterpoint. At some point, for us, we just have to agree to disagree.The developers will be criticized regardless of any explanation tendered and some will want to continue to argue the point, to what end. 

Richard

Posted Image

#109 dpeters95

dpeters95

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 10:07 PM

Ok, I'm sure I am doing something wrong but I can't seem to be able to move the ball on the tee.  I double checked and I do have the update installed.  It said to move the mouse pointer over the ball and it would change to a different symbol but my mouse pointer never changes.  What am I doing wrong folks?

TIA

#110 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,539 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 10:12 PM

@Richard. You and I aren't even debating the issue though..

You're arguing that "whatever they do nobody is happy" - fine. Might be true...but..

There's far greater upside to involving customers in the process, even if it's just "here's what we are the thinking" or "why we did what we did" - compared to just "doing stuff" and never saying anything. At least then discussion would be around the facts of what happened and not heresay and speculation.

#111 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 02 May 2016 - 10:15 PM

Ok, I'm sure I am doing something wrong but I can't seem to be able to move the ball on the tee.  I double checked and I do have the update installed.  It said to move the mouse pointer over the ball and it would change to a different symbol but my mouse pointer never changes.  What am I doing wrong folks?

TIA

Sounds like you're doing it right. It does seem to be a little temperamental at times.

I just hover the cursor over the ball and it changes to a small graphic of a ball on a tee peg, which you then move to your new teeing position and left click.

#112 JoeF

JoeF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 10:17 PM

It has been said earlier in this thread (by Crow) that the 'hide golfer' was removed because of performance hits. So I presume from this the hit is only experienced when the golfer is hidden (pressing spacebar) or is it present at all times, due to how it is coded?

I'm not trying to drag out arguments on the matter, just curious. If the performance hit occurs only when golfer is hidden, can it hurt adding it back in and then leaving it to user discretion whether they use it or not?

:unsure:

Daz, I'm prettty sure Crow was referring to the "ghosting" of the ani in the game (Everybody's Golf ?) that you mentioned in the post he was answering.  I don't think he was referring to hiding the ani as a performance hit.

Intel i5-4570 cpu @ 3.2 GHz, ASUS Z74-K mb, ASUS GeForce GTX 960 gpu, 16 GB ram, 2 x SSD drives, Windows 10 64 bit

#113 flyer01

flyer01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 May 2016 - 10:20 PM

Nobody has been disrespectful to the dev's. It was a popular feature and I think people are looking for more of an explanation than just a "performance issue". If we remove everything that's a "performance issue" there won't be much of a game left. What if they removed the free cam for "performance issues"? Think anybody would want to know what's going on?

ASUS ROG LAPTOP,  i7-4720HQ, G-sync IPS, 16GB, 1TB HDD, 256GB PCIEG2 SSD, GTX970M GDDR5, WIN. 8.1

#114 JoeF

JoeF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 10:23 PM

TIA

Try moving your mouse pointer down just below the ball and see if that works.

• Armand likes this

#115 Richard

Richard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBismarck, ND

Posted 02 May 2016 - 10:25 PM

Nobody has been disrespectful to the dev's. It was a popular feature and I think people are looking for more of an explanation than just a "performance issue". If we remove everything that's a "performance issue" there won't be much of a game left. What if they removed the free cam for "performance issues"? Think anybody would want to know what's going on?

I agree. Actually I'd be interested in the reason also. My only point is that I can understand that the developers are under obligation in giving me one, imho.

Richard

Posted Image

#116 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 10:26 PM

How are folks liking the new swing meter?  I tried it out of curiosity after not playing 3 Click for a long time.  It seems much smoother and I was able to hit the snap more consistently than with the previous meter.   A great option to have for the click swingers. 

#117 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 10:40 PM

FreeCam is incredibly frustrating for me as it is super sensitive (RTS-C) and I like to get a very down near the ground view and the camera doesn't bottom out on the terrain and instead bounces up off of it.

Fixing that one thing alone would be an amazing improvement for my usage.

I will explain how you can adjust this tomorrow. Everyone is different and so the controller sensitivities can be fine tuned. You can have a play around with some of the console commands to start with to get a feeling for what values you like. Off the top of my head I cant remember the exact command but if you type in cam you get a full list of them.

You can adjust forward speed, side speed, up/down speed etc. One of the things we are most proud about in the game is that we're in the process of building the most customisable golf game every created!

• DivotMaker likes this

#118 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,539 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 10:41 PM

I will explain how you can adjust this tomorrow. Everyone is different and so the controller sensitivities can be fine tuned. You can have a play around with some of the console commands to start with to get a feeling for what values you like. Off the top of my head I cant remember the exact command but if you type in cam you get a full list of them.

You can adjust forward speed, side speed, up/down speed etc. One of the things we are most proud about in the game is that we're in the process of building the most customisable golf game every created!

Superb. Thank you!!

#119 dpeters95

dpeters95

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 10:41 PM

Thanks to all those who replied concerning moving the ball on the tee.  Maybe I was moving it too fast when I tried earlier but I got it to work now.  It does seem a little easier pointing just below the ball as JoeF suggested but thanks to all!

#120 flyer01

flyer01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 May 2016 - 10:45 PM

How are folks liking the new swing meter?  I tried it out of curiosity after not playing 3 Click for a long time.  It seems much smoother and I was able to hit the snap more consistently than with the previous meter.   A great option to have for the click swingers. 

Jury's still out but so far so good. I like it.

ASUS ROG LAPTOP,  i7-4720HQ, G-sync IPS, 16GB, 1TB HDD, 256GB PCIEG2 SSD, GTX970M GDDR5, WIN. 8.1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users