#221 Stephen Sullivan

Stephen Sullivan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationWorksop, Nottinghamshire

Posted 25 May 2016 - 12:49 PM

As for Links, many Links players are now playing JNPG instead.

Some of us are still playing Links more because there are still things we prefer ( a horizontal gauge for instance  ;)  ) and the options available do not appeal as much

Posted Image

#222 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 01:03 PM

That sounds reasonable in regards to sim racing. Don't know why it's so much more expensive to setup a launch monitor to connect to PG with a tcp/ip interface. 250 a year? Really?

Guess they feel golf sim users are so used to paying thousands of dollars in the past for software, that the sim user is flush with money..

Seems like you have a general gripe about companies supplying sim software in general. 

• Vernon520 likes this

#223 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 25 May 2016 - 01:14 PM

That sounds reasonable in regards to sim racing. Don't know why it's so much more expensive to setup a launch monitor to connect to PG with a tcp/ip interface. 250 a year? Really?

Guess they feel golf sim users are so used to paying thousands of dollars in the past for software, that the sim user is flush with money..

It's simply down to the time it takes to produce against the number of customers. There are literally thousands of sim racers playing iRacing... there will never be the same number of simulator users playing PG.

If PP had made a fortune out of sim players with their pricing strategy then there wouldn't be this current fiasco brewing with their future plans for PG for the rest of us.

life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#224 Mulligan

Mulligan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  • LocationVirtual Private Network

Posted 25 May 2016 - 01:22 PM

To the several comments about the game not being up to snuff or not ready... Yea, there are issues. I certainly like what I see so far and common sense tells me it will only get better, as long as it's profitable.

I've found that in the long run you get what you pay for.

#225 footslogger

footslogger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationThailand

Posted 25 May 2016 - 01:30 PM

I agree with those who think the game was given a full release too early. I presume cash flow had a lot to do with it. It was a pretty desperate measure and seems to have backfired. All is not lost. I recall mention that a significant influx of funds was expected this month and, assuming that isn't sales-dependent, I hope the dev team can focus on the areas they have already prioritised: new UI, new mocap anis and a career mode. If bugs are removed too I'm sure we'd all happily pay a fair chunk of money for that update. The game would then be more fleshed out and that's the point when I would be thinking about pricing models. I absolutely agree with Andrew when he says why follow a model which has already failed at least twice. Unfortunately, I agree with those who think the latest proposal will have a terrible psychological impact - never appear to threaten people who don't want updates even if that is not the intention. The subscription model, properly presented, seems fairest to me. I belong to the camp of those who will support this game however the devs want to finance it. But please - flesh it out a bit as the main priority.

#226 mcthommo

mcthommo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 02:14 PM

And herein lies the problem- games company needs income stream in order for them to improve their product, consumers want to limit the amount that they pay and compare the product with other games that have wildly different producing companies, users, revenue models etc

No one wins and the only result is that if the game company decides to chose a revenue model that they think is both fair to both the consumer and will produce a revenue stream and profit that will allow them to do what they need/want to do, someone will criticise the method being offered. 

I am sure that there has been more than one method that has been discussed and the mentioned one is the one that the producers think will meet the needs of all the closest and best at this time. 

As someone who has worked in the servicing industry for a long number of years, it is a very difficult job of selling a product or a service as everyone will value that service or product differently. As someone who has played cyber golf for over 25 years and real life golf for over 40 years, I have a price that I am happy to spend on both and it can truly depend on what it is. For example, a number of years ago, I was given the opportunity to play a round at Royal St Georges with an ex work colleague but was informed that it would be the best price of £150. I was then given the option to play at Royal Cinque Ports a few miles away for £75. Initially I was worried that I would regret this- I opted to go for RCP and had the most wonderful day of golf, shot a far from shabby 75 and enjoyed it much more than I would have that day than RSG. I did a few years later play RSG and actually preferred RCP. Before anyone asked, I shot a 79 at RSG so it had nothing to do with my play!

I do not play anything online and understand that a large number of people do- thats lovely. I like to play a round or three when I am in the mood and have time to do so- thats lovely as well. I am lucky enough that I can afford to do this and am happy to pay for a game that I get a large amount of enjoyment from and hope to continue to do for the foreseeable future. 

I realise that to do so means me having to pay for a game that needs further improvements and updates and that is fine, just as long as the payment isn't outrageous and that there are options of how to pay. I have no issue with a monthly or yearly fee or pass, just as long as I have the choice of what it is-within reason. 

Having been a long time member of GBC and TW08 forums and seen them both go by the wayside, I would not like to see this happen to PP as this could be our last chance of getting a game and community that we PC gamers especially have been longer for for years.

• remers, frank70 and Vernon520 like this

Intel 9900k @5GHZ

Asus RTX 3090 Strix OC

32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200

Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390

Noctua NH-D15 Cromax 

Fractal Design Meshify S2

WDC WD10EFRX 1TB NVME drive

2x 14TB Hitachi NAS HDD

Colour scheme by Nigel Tufnell- "None more black"

#227 trailblazergolf

trailblazergolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Locationflorida

Posted 25 May 2016 - 02:52 PM

i have stated before and i state again --i'm happy to pay for a course as long as it's quality-i would say $5.00 a course--but---there are no new courses to buy !!!---i also not mind buying new set of clubs--but thier not there to buy--and i think that a lot of us golfers feel the same about keeping the cash flow flowing --so lets get with it devs---give me something--plzzz

#228 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts
  • LocationSurfside Beach SC

Posted 25 May 2016 - 03:12 PM

If we had four new course today for $5 each I would buy all four and the same with clubs.  I think what is being missed is there are a lot of us hungry to buy some stuff and wanting to spend some money.

#229 Vernon520

Vernon520

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • LocationWestcliff-on-Sea, Essex. U.K

Posted 25 May 2016 - 03:17 PM

If we had four new course today for $5 each I would buy all four and the same with clubs.  I think what is being missed is there are a lot of us hungry to buy some stuff and wanting to spend some money.

If you mean 'lots of us' as in 200 members, then that is not enough, we need 2,000 or better still 20,000.

• Mulligan and RobV like this

#230 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 25 May 2016 - 03:57 PM

If you mean 'lots of us' as in 200 members, then that is not enough, we need 2,000 or better still 20,000.

.. and you'll only get that with a polished product, good marketing, better communication, and positive user reviews.

None of this will come from PP's latest plan or any of the funding suggestions from people in this thread.

#231 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 25 May 2016 - 03:59 PM

#232 wim1234

wim1234

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 04:27 PM

Now now, Acrilix isnt that a tad too negative???
you knwo what, ssshhhhh its a secret, i reinstalled links and have a blast with the hd courses, this was before all this hubbub.

Amasing, how good that game still is, so at least i have something to fall back upon.

no managers , vips, bobos and other assorted ppl there, to spoil the fun.

#233 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 25 May 2016 - 04:39 PM

Now now, Acrilix isnt that a tad too negative???
you knwo what, ssshhhhh its a secret, i reinstalled links and have a blast with the hd courses, this was before all this hubbub.
Amasing, how good that game still is, so at least i have something to fall back upon.
no managers , vips, bobos and other assorted ppl there, to spoil the fun.

If you're playing Links 2003 using the v1.07 MOD, don't forget to thank Andrew, as he was one of the guys involved in creating it.
  • axe360, Richard and remers like this

#234 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 25 May 2016 - 04:43 PM

If you're playing Links 2003 using the v1.07 MOD, don't forget to thank Andrew, as he was one of the guys involved in creating it.

Mr. Daz, I think this entire thread should end on that note.... :) :)

• Richard, granite00 and Vernon520 like this

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#235 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 04:52 PM

I know I certainly thanked him and Access/MS!   Thanked by buying multiple versions of the game and for friends, including "official" add-on courses and ALL of MJ's courses he created for Links!    

#236 BaggerVance

BaggerVance

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 05:29 PM

Seems like you have a general gripe about companies supplying sim software in general.

I own fr1, and tgc. I'd like to be able to buy pg. I'm giving it a try for one season, but this thread has me worried..

#237 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 25 May 2016 - 05:35 PM

I own foresight fr1, and tgc. I'd like to be able to buy pg. I'm giving it a try for one season, but this thread has me worried..

I don't know why? The only reason this thread is here is because PG has been trying like dogs to work with the community. They could have just came out with a model and been done with it, like it or not.. Right?

• Greensboronclion likes this

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#238 Crusher

Crusher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 06:00 PM

I agree about closing this thread.  I think we've covered all we can between ourselves.

Let's put this back in the hands of the devs and see what they tell us in the next News Update.

• axe360 likes this

⛳                          🏌️‍♂️                             🏌️‍♀️                              ⛳

xqc8g0-2.png

🏌️‍♂️                                                       🏌️‍♀️
Userbenchmarks:
Custom Build 2019

⛳                          🏌️‍♂️                             🏌️‍♀️                              ⛳

51049423131_98884de356_w.jpg

#239 Gasman

Gasman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 06:14 PM

EA golf games are suddenly looking like good value for money......

#240 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 25 May 2016 - 07:31 PM

.. and you'll only get that with a polished product, good marketing, better communication, and positive user reviews.

None of this will come from PP's latest plan or any of the funding suggestions from people in this thread.

What funding mechanism do you think will work?

Steam Name: Turnerm05

Swing Type: RTSC | Tour Pro | XB1 Wireless

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

GTX 1080 Founders Edition

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users