#21 Ron Piskorik

Ron Piskorik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • LocationFlorham Park, NJ

Posted 23 May 2016 - 01:49 PM

Have you paid for user courses? I wasn't aware that anyone was charging for them.

Yes we didn't have to pay for the courses themselves but we had the ability to play user designed courses when we purchased the game.  The ability to play them came included with the game.  Now it sounds like we will not be able to play them without paying for DLC that we will never use.  That is taking away a feature that was included with the basic game.  I also feel that it is not a very good way to increase future support for the game.

• Parboy, erwildcat and clubcaptain like this
Alienware Area 51 R2
Windows 10 Home (64bit)
Intel® Core™ i7-5820K Six Core (15MB Cache, Overclocked up to 3.9 GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
Intel® X99 Chipset (Intel® DHX99 PCH)
32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 2133MHz SDRAM Memory
256GB SSD 6Gb/s Main
Centauri CPU heatsink
4TB 5400RPM SATA 6Gb/s
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti with 6GB GDDR5
Killer™ E2200 Integrated 10/100/1000 Gigabit Network Card
Integrated Creative Labs Sound Blaster Recon3Di
Alienware™ 850 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply
Dual Layer DVD Burner (DVD±RW, CD-RW)
Logitech G810 Artemis Spectrum gaming keyboard
Dell 27 Gaming Monitor - S2716DG at 2560 X 1440
Logitech Gaming Mouse G502

3 Click PRO Level

#22 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 23 May 2016 - 01:51 PM

Have you paid for user courses? I wasn't aware that anyone was charging for them.

Correct. But read the latest Steam update referred to in earlier posts in this thread and it states that future Milestone DLC will need to be purchased to allow you to continue play user created courses.

Without it, any user courses will be unplayable and only courses that are part of the game or purchased DLC courses will be playable.
  • sirputterman likes this

#23 JoeF

JoeF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Ontario, Canada

Posted 23 May 2016 - 01:52 PM

"Those choosing to not keep the game up to date with the new DLC will continue to be able to use Perfect Golf with all the content they have purchased or we have released as free DLC or was included with the game but user courses will no longer work with older versions of the game."

The way this is worded I take it that if we don't keep our game up to date with the latest purchased DLC, we will be losing something that we already have paid for.  I am hoping that this is just poorly worded.  We should be able to play all the user created courses that were compatible with the last version that we purchased.  Why should I have to purchase a new version with a career mode if I will never use the career mode just to keep playing the user courses that I already have?

I think we need a clarification from the developers.

If we don't update to the latest paid DLC version of the game, will we not be able to play any user courses with the version we are currently using?

If the answer is yes, I hope that PP will consider not doing this.  I am hoping that they don't intend to do this and have not thought about all the negative implications of taking away something that we have already paid for.

Pray tell, Ron, what content did you pay for that will not be available after a paid DLC upgrade to the game?  

Intel i5-4570 cpu @ 3.2 GHz, ASUS Z74-K mb, ASUS GeForce GTX 960 gpu, 16 GB ram, 2 x SSD drives, Windows 10 64 bit

Steam name: sound_flier

#24 remers

remers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 01:56 PM

Can I dev please step in with a clear and concise statement to nip yet another DLC thread in the bud?

System Spec
---------------------
Win10 / Core i7 - 4820k 3.7Ghz / 16GB Ram / GeForce GTX780 / Corsair M95 Wired Mouse / Asus PB287Q 28in 4k Monitor

#25 Richard

Richard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBismarck, ND

Posted 23 May 2016 - 02:12 PM

Can I dev please step in with a clear and concise statement to nip yet another DLC thread in the bud?

I think the developers have already made their clear and concise statement. Certain game upgrades will be DLC and to continue to play user courses you need to purchase the upgrade. Pretty straightforward to me. The question is now whether or not I and others want to participate.

• axe360, cajuncapgun, Parboy and 2 others like this
Richard

Posted Image

#26 Jperkules

Jperkules

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, U.S

Posted 23 May 2016 - 02:12 PM

I do believe that the statement was pretty clear.

When Significant/Milestone DLC is released, things that are basically a 1.5 or 2.0 version of the game, then that DLC will need to be purchased to continue to play user created courses.

It's not for all DLC or minor upgrades, but for significant upgrades, which basically move the game forward....like going from TW08 to TW8.5 or TW9.

Just for me personally, I am not affected.

However....

I do believe, in my humble opinion, that this is the wrong approach, for the reasons that others are stating above.

It's like what Mike said about courses, when asked if a user creates a course that will be released as a licensed course, will that user course be prohibited, etc.  Mike said that it is then their job to make sure the licensed course is worth purchasing, that they need to do a good enough job.

It's the same with future DLC, just make it worth buying, and the loyal fans here will purchase.

With the described business model, there is risk of alienating some fans.

I don't think the reward is worth the risk. 

• sirputterman and zmax - sim like this

#27 remers

remers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 02:24 PM

Fair enough, must have mis-read/misunderstood so not quite clear enough for my simple mind but that's my problem.

System Spec
---------------------
Win10 / Core i7 - 4820k 3.7Ghz / 16GB Ram / GeForce GTX780 / Corsair M95 Wired Mouse / Asus PB287Q 28in 4k Monitor

#28 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 02:36 PM

I do believe that the statement was pretty clear.

When Significant/Milestone DLC is released, things that are basically a 1.5 or 2.0 version of the game, then that DLC will need to be purchased to continue to play user created courses.

It's not for all DLC or minor upgrades, but for significant upgrades, which basically move the game forward....like going from TW08 to TW8.5 or TW9.

Just for me personally, I am not affected.

That's exactly how I read it.  I'm going to predict that these milestone DLC(significant game updates) will probably come once or every other year and will probably cost $10-20 each time.   

This is not a big deal IMO. PP says this is needed to help continue fund the development of the game and I believe them.

• Richard and Brendan like this

#29 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 02:46 PM

I still think that course creators should have access to their own work at any time (no updates necessary)

Just sayin'

#30 JoeF

JoeF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 03:00 PM

I still think that course creators should have access to their own work at any time (no updates necessary)

Just sayin'

Who's to say that user course creators won't receive a free update as a thanks for their efforts in support of the game?

Intel i5-4570 cpu @ 3.2 GHz, ASUS Z74-K mb, ASUS GeForce GTX 960 gpu, 16 GB ram, 2 x SSD drives, Windows 10 64 bit

#31 Sliceapottomus

Sliceapottomus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 23 May 2016 - 03:01 PM

Nobody's twisting anybody's arms here... If some thing is up for purchase you have the choice to buy it. It really is that simple. If you don't like it don't buy IT !!!!! geesh

Ncccrca.jpg
Operating System - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit ,  CPU - Intel Core i5 7600K @ 3.80GHz ,  RAM - 16.0GB, MotherboardASRock B250M Pro4 (CPUSocket) , Graphics card4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti ,  Storage256GB (SSD) , 931GB Seagate , 232GB Maxtor USB Device

#32 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 03:11 PM

JoeF, you're right, I don't know if free updates would be available for course creators.

That doesn't address the issue of someone creating personal courses that aren't released.

#33 trailblazergolf

trailblazergolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Locationflorida

Posted 23 May 2016 - 03:17 PM

i have always said i'll be glad to pay for GOOD courses--for example---TPC courses--major tour courses--and courses like troon--and others of equal quality -----AMEN--LOL----i think 3.00--to 6.00 be fair depending on quality of course

#34 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 23 May 2016 - 03:22 PM

Nobody's twisting anybody's arms here... If some thing is up for purchase you have the choice to buy it. It really is that simple. If you don't like it don't buy IT !!!!! geesh

That's a pretty ignorant statement.

I think that plenty of arms are going to be twisted by this when courses that people enjoy playing just disappear from their game one day in the future.

• Parboy, erwildcat, sirputterman and 2 others like this
life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#35 Ron Piskorik

Ron Piskorik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • LocationFlorham Park, NJ

Posted 23 May 2016 - 03:34 PM

Pray tell, Ron, what content did you pay for that will not be available after a paid DLC upgrade to the game?  

Yes we didn't have to pay for the courses themselves but we had the ability to play user designed courses when we purchased the game.  The ability to play them came included with the game.  Now it sounds like we will not be able to play them without paying for DLC that we will never use.  That is taking away a feature that was included with the basic game.  I also feel that it is not a very good way to increase future support for the game.

I just have the feeling like some others here is that it is like a hidden way to force people to buy features that they will never use like career mode and improved AI.  I will never use those features but I will be forced to buy them when they are added to the game to keep the ability to play user created courses.  I really don't care about the money and will continue to support the game.  I just don't agree with the business model.

I was a alpha tester and haven't paid anything for the game.  I am expressing how I would have felt if I purchased the game and six months later I wouldn't be able to play user created courses when that ability was there when I purchased the game.  I don't think I would be very pleased with the way PP had treated me as a customer.  

Alienware Area 51 R2
Windows 10 Home (64bit)
Intel® Core™ i7-5820K Six Core (15MB Cache, Overclocked up to 3.9 GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
Intel® X99 Chipset (Intel® DHX99 PCH)
32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 2133MHz SDRAM Memory
256GB SSD 6Gb/s Main
Centauri CPU heatsink
4TB 5400RPM SATA 6Gb/s
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti with 6GB GDDR5
Killer™ E2200 Integrated 10/100/1000 Gigabit Network Card
Integrated Creative Labs Sound Blaster Recon3Di
Alienware™ 850 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply
Dual Layer DVD Burner (DVD±RW, CD-RW)
Logitech G810 Artemis Spectrum gaming keyboard
Dell 27 Gaming Monitor - S2716DG at 2560 X 1440
Logitech Gaming Mouse G502

3 Click PRO Level

#36 FreeBolt

FreeBolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 03:39 PM

I have not played the game as long as most of you have, but I have a great time playing, So paying 20-30 or what ever it may be for game updates for a year is fine.

#37 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 23 May 2016 - 03:54 PM

What is being called milestone updates was always going to be a tough row to hoe for Perfect Parallel.  I'm of the opinion that if you do offer something that adds or changes a game feature significantly enough, it should come with a cost.  I'm not sure it should render something you were able to use before inoperable though.  Let's say for example that PP made 3-D rough textures available as DLC, and you had to pay $5 to access it for all courses that use it going forward.  It shouldn't make the user created courses already in existence, that don't and can't use 3-D rough anyway, inoperable to those who don't purchase the milestone DLC.  OTOH, I can see where it would make future user created courses that did use the milestone update 3-D, off limits to people who did not purchase milestone 3-D DLC.

It's too easy to get our panties in a wad over something we don't yet fully understand but are willing to speculate upon.  I'm not going to get worked up over $5 to $20 bucks here and there if it keeps JNPG up to date with where a JNPG 2 new release edition would have been anyway two years down the road anyway.  I don't see this as a shakedown by PP.  They're trying to outline the basis for a business model that will keep them going with an acceptable ROI.  At least they're being up front about it.

• DivotMaker and ArcadeHack like this

Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz 
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#38 LeazesNDR

LeazesNDR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • LocationSmoggyland UK

Posted 23 May 2016 - 04:06 PM

I'm a big fan of the game and what the folks at Perfect Parallel are trying to do.
That said, there is a post on the golf club forums that suggests that Perfect Parallel need a marketing consultant. I'm inclined to agree, unfortunately.
  • Parboy likes this

#39 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 04:13 PM

I'm a big fan of the game and what the folks at Perfect Parallel are trying to do.
That said, there is a post on the golf club forums that suggests that Perfect Parallel need a marketing consultant. I'm inclined to agree, unfortunately.

Do that and they'll have to raise prices on DLC to pay for the consultant.

#40 JoeF

JoeF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 04:25 PM

So, hypothetically speaking, down the road if PG was to announce a "milestone" update that included major changes to the underlying game engine and Unity version, which caused an incompatibility with existing user made courses (which could only be rectified by PG making a tweak to those existing courses to make them compatible with the new version of the game) rendering them incompatible with the older version of the game,  then PG should not move forward with said update since there may be those who would be unwilling to upgrade their old version in order to remain compatible with the courses and to take advantage of what may, theoretically, be a groundbreaking update to the game.  

Sorry, but that doesn't get my vote.  

• axe360, RobC, Greensboronclion and 2 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users