• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#41 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 03:09 AM

I just played my 1st BARE round on Golden Meadows in RTSM Am. with gusty winds and I have to say, it was very much fun.  I shot a 77, I had 1 birdie, which was COOL!  I hit a couple in the rough off the tee, decided to club up two clubs (using mouse wheel) and got on the green once.  Played a brilliant little 70(ish) yard pitch on 18 and almost birdied it.

A couple things.  I wish I knew what par was without having to remember the hole.  I'd like to know total yardage from the tee.  And I'd like to know which club I had, although I could figure it out by scrolling.

When I want to relax and just hit balls, I think it's a great escape.  I'll play again.

Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

#42 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,536 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 03:10 AM

When I want to relax and just hit balls, I think it's a great escape.

That's just what the old lady said to the sailor...

#43 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts
  • LocationWest End, Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Posted 04 August 2016 - 03:28 AM

A couple things.  I wish I knew what par was without having to remember the hole.  I'd like to know total yardage from the tee.  And I'd like to know which club I had, although I could figure it out by scrolling.

Yeah Crow I would like to know the par for the hole. Just about every real course I've played on has a sign with the hole number, yardage and some even have a little map showing a dog leg or a lake or whatever. If ever there was a Course Forger who was sympathetic to the BARE philosophy and added the sign plus yardage markers along the hole then problem solved.

On the question of knowing the club - I think in a future build, to be BARE compatible, we should be able to call up the bag and choose a club from the whole lot. If you have an idea of the distance by the suggestions from my first paragraph then you could actually do away with the caddy.

I've never had a caddy in my life - well apart from Mrs Clatterbang who has been known to wheel a pull buggy across the green. I kept her on because she didn't recognise what a bad shot was and always remained impressed. 

#44 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 03:50 AM

On the question of knowing the club - I think in a future build, to be BARE compatible, we should be able to call up the bag and choose a club from the whole lot. 

Don't be so inhibited chum. Think big. No, not 'call up the bag'. We should be able to walk to our bag which is sitting exactly where we left it and pick out a club.

#45 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,536 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 03:53 AM

Don't be so inhibited chum. Think big. No, not 'call up the bag'. We should be able to walk to our bag which is sitting exactly where we left it and pick out a club.

ummm....

huh?

• zmax - sim likes this

#46 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 04:12 AM

This thread reminds me of the movie Shutter Island. :)

#47 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 04:15 AM

Hmm, just played a round in RTS-M in Pro using BARE method and I love the clean look of the screen - no distractions and more immersion. I got rid of grid and BLI and set the post shot dialogue thing to 1 sec (I had it on manual at first and wondered why nothing was happening after first shot!).

I like the idea of getting to know a few courses well, thus knowing how to play safe without top cams etc, and gaining a sense for distance.

...fun way to play and actually pretty fast on an easy course - took me just over 20mins for the round.

Did I mention that there will be times when you have to bring back the HUD. If you go into a hazard you will need to set your drop.

I also set the post shot to a few seconds mainly to slow things down a bit. BARE is a quick way to play and I rarely use the F5 key for putting so it's even more rapid.

A competition that I think would be attractive is if each player had their 'home' course where they would have the advantage of local knowledge. Much like home and away football. A Round Robin comp amongst our intrepid little band could follow. You wouldn't have to play in multi-player, just compare individual scores. Hmm...I like that idea.

#48 StoneComet

StoneComet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 04 August 2016 - 06:26 AM

After the massive windows update that I inadvertently triggered when I reset my computer I finally got on Hazyview. Bummed that I was unable to finish my OGT rounds this week as a result. I might could have squeezed one round in but not two. Anyway, I cannot seem to turn of the HUD with the controller. Does anyone know if or how this is done with a controller. I've been mashing buttons like crazy in all kinds of combinations. If I find it I won't even know what I did.  :)

- We would be wise to remember that extremism is the real enemy and to keep ourselves aware so as not to become extreme ourselves; otherwise the enemy wins. -

#49 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 10:47 AM

After the massive windows update that I inadvertently triggered when I reset my computer I finally got on Hazyview. Bummed that I was unable to finish my OGT rounds this week as a result. I might could have squeezed one round in but not two. Anyway, I cannot seem to turn of the HUD with the controller. Does anyone know if or how this is done with a controller. I've been mashing buttons like crazy in all kinds of combinations. If I find it I won't even know what I did.  :)

You can't, unfortunately.  At least not right now.  The keyboard is disabled except for the console key.  So, BARE controller play will have to wait a bit until a solution is implemented.

#50 Stephen Sullivan

Stephen Sullivan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationWorksop, Nottinghamshire

Posted 04 August 2016 - 04:04 PM

You can't, unfortunately.  At least not right now.  The keyboard is disabled except for the console key.  So, BARE controller play will have to wait a bit until a solution is implemented.

Is there a specific reason for the keyboard to be disabled? It does rather seem to limit what you can do if you use the controller.

Posted Image

#51 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 04:10 PM

Is there a specific reason for the keyboard to be disabled? It does rather seem to limit what you can do if you use the controller.

Yes, but I'm not sure what the issue is exactly. It has to do with the controller detection, so they disabled the keyboard.

#52 Stephen Sullivan

Stephen Sullivan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 05:15 PM

Yes, but I'm not sure what the issue is exactly. It has to do with the controller detection, so they disabled the keyboard.

AAAaaaahhhhh, I wonder if it's to do with USB, like the issue with having a steering wheel plugged in at the same time?

Posted Image

#53 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts
  • LocationCanvey Island, Essex, UK

Posted 05 August 2016 - 07:33 AM

So I thought to my self, I like the game as tough as possible, so even though Ted's idea seemed insane to me, I thought I'd see how badly I would score. In I go, turn off BLI, Grid is allways off anyway, set up on a links type course, get on the first tee and look at my shaddow/wind. Great so far. Ctrl/Alt/U   Ready!   Oh dear, no swing meter.................I guess 3 clickers can't play this way. lmao

#54 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 09:36 AM

I can't possibly relate my reaction to that post Ian.

• Ian likes this

#55 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 11:47 AM

So I thought to my self, I like the game as tough as possible, so even though Ted's idea seemed insane to me, I thought I'd see how badly I would score. In I go, turn off BLI, Grid is allways off anyway, set up on a links type course, get on the first tee and look at my shaddow/wind. Great so far. Ctrl/Alt/U   Ready!   Oh dear, no swing meter.................I guess 3 clickers can't play this way. lmao

Clickers, you will be assimilated.  Resistance is futile!  :)

• Ian likes this

#56 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 03:28 PM

I'm just biding my time, waiting for that glorious day in the near furture when the announcement of the new PowerStroke swing is introduced...............Nurse, NURSE, time for my medication and post some to Stephen please, before he wet's himself.

• Stephen Sullivan likes this

#57 Stephen Sullivan

Stephen Sullivan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 08:57 PM

I'm just biding my time, waiting for that glorious day in the near furture when the announcement of the new PowerStroke swing is introduced...............Nurse, NURSE, time for my medication and post some to Stephen please, before he wet's himself.

:P  :D  :rolleyes:    Ian, there's more chance of us winning the Euromillions Lottery than there is of a Powerstroke swing in PG  :(

Posted Image

#58 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,536 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 08:59 PM

Ok guys...

All together now, let's hold hands and say it out loud in between deep breaths..

There

Will

(breathe....)

Never

(breathe again...)

Be

Powerstroke

in

Perfect

Golf

#59 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 10:17 PM

Well I say, was that really necessary? I mean, a guy can dream, can't he? Assuming you are correct, and us hard core ex Elite PSers know you are, perhaps we could have an adjustable tempo to be more in lline with the real world? There are slow swingers, there are steady swingers and there are fast swingers in golf but the one thing they have in common is when they want to hit a club further, they hit it HARDER, still with a good rhythm. Now one was able to do that with Shhhhhh, you know what swing, but in this game...............Sigh

• Stephen Sullivan likes this

#60 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 10:21 PM

Stephen, you Sir, are a bloody genius! If we win the Euro lottery, we can entice them with hard cash, keep feeding them crisp fivers until they see the error of their ways!  I'm off to stick a couple of quid on it right now, wish me luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users