77 replies to this topic

#61 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 11:56 AM

Of course, at this juncture, one question must be asked...

5Eda69V.jpg

This one: "Can there be too much of a good thing?"

HHkgmPl.jpg

And the answer is: Yes, of course!

eglnad9.jpg

But then again: How would you ever know that you are having too much of something...

XE6iX1m.jpg

...with not enough of it around to know for sure?

LujEpsF.jpg

You can only ever tell if you have too little of something.

WRDnQdA.jpg

And I still do.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#62 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 01:51 PM

The thing is pot bunkers IRL are very expensive to build and maintain and this along their penal nature means that they are best served when used sparingly if you're interested in making a realistic course. If realism is not on your agenda though then you can go crazy!

• ✠ davef ✠ likes this

#63 mcthommo

mcthommo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 02:41 PM

you are a very bad man, K11

Seriously I would need to take a bucket and spade when I played that stretch of holes

Intel 9900k @5GHZ

Asus RTX 3090 Strix OC

32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200

Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390

Noctua NH-D15 Cromax 

Fractal Design Meshify S2

WDC WD10EFRX 1TB NVME drive

2x 14TB Hitachi NAS HDD

Colour scheme by Nigel Tufnell- "None more black"

#64 olazaboll

olazaboll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 03:04 PM

Well ... With all the nice courses K11 have created in the past , he must be loaded with virtual money to buy/finance as many vitual pot-bunkers as he likes :)

#65 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 03:29 PM

Mike, this is "sparingly"

... and my MO is to crank up first and tone done later. 

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

<<<<<

#66 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 05:23 PM

Also from a difficulty perspective, smaller is actually more difficult. The more the ratio of steep wall to bunker footage the more desperate the escape attempts can be:

#67 nstone73

nstone73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationDenver CO

Posted 25 October 2016 - 06:04 PM

Yet to play with pot bunkers (I need to walk before I can run), but I have a question from the pictures posted....are the bottoms of the pot bunkers all flat (the sanded areas)? Can you sculpt them like normal bunkers (have a dip in the middle for example). You can see from the McIlroy footage they aren't total flat.

#68 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 06:31 PM

Yes and no, nstone. Yes, they are flat when you force the bottom to be flat. You can not force flatness and... I'm not quite clear how this plays out. I suppose that the bottom then matches the terrain slope underneath. Still experimenting, I must say I do like the flat bit - it provides a horizontal plane that almost acts like a spirit level and makes the sloping around it more evident.

Yes, small is beautiful, but the large pit bunkers are not pot bunkers in the proper sense more like waste areas and no-go zones. I will switch out a few textures tomorrow to illustrate further. This pot bunker tool is, suffice to say, so darn good that it should and will be used for more than just standard, narrowly defined by-the-book pot bunkers...

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#69 nstone73

nstone73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationDenver CO

Posted 25 October 2016 - 06:54 PM

Cheers...was just wondering....they look really good (but you know that already)

#70 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 06:55 PM

Yet to play with pot bunkers (I need to walk before I can run), but I have a question from the pictures posted....are the bottoms of the pot bunkers all flat (the sanded areas)? Can you sculpt them like normal bunkers (have a dip in the middle for example). You can see from the McIlroy footage they aren't total flat.

There's not much need to tweak the default values unless it's just for the sake of it but there are basically mesh rings in the layers library you can manipulate to adjust the severity of the bunker walls and also to create a dish like shape in the bunker bottom (which we have by default)

As with most things CF the defaults work very well and represent 90% of pot bunkers around the world but if you want to do something different,  it CAN be done but it can mean a lot of tweaking until you find the exact settings you like. The best of both worlds I would say.

• nstone73 likes this

#71 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 07:47 PM

Oh, this was inevitable, really. With the thread title and K11's excessive use of a good thing. I give you "Cannabis Vineyards". The view from hole #1s bunker, doobieously named, "The Burnout". (Actually, the only hole because no one really comes here to play golf.) Players have been known to enter the bunker, lay down in the sand and wonder when the "snack girl" will return. The bunker islands are edible but I do think here there is a risk of too much of a good thing. Yes, the sky is always a pinkish hue and the course/singular hole is always surrounded by a dense fog.

In all seriousness, I have had the bottom fall out of a few of my pot bunkers. It seems to occur with a sharper ended design. I was making a few narrowed potties and had this occur. Seems to resolve with a few spline tweaks.  Not sure if that's been mentioned. Amazingly, the splines tuck nicely together as they don't have much of an outer rim so Z fighting is less of an issue. Usage of this idea, who knows?

Cannabis Vineyards, hole #1 - view into the vast Wasteland

jWPYKAl.jpg

• Kablammo11 and mistajam like this

#72 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 25 October 2016 - 08:01 PM

I wouldn't have thought BlammoCorp was budget conscious ;)

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#73 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 08:06 PM

Matthew ... Can I ask you just out of interest .... How Wide and Deep is the Green in the picture above ?

That green (Old Scotch #16) is pretty small. I think it might only be about 17-18 yards deep and a little wider, maybe about 20. It is probably one of the two smallest greens on a course full of pretty small greens to begin with. I tend to end up favoring greens on the smaller end for most original projects that I do. I don't think it is a conscious decision; I think proportionally in my mind it just seems to look right, and I suppose when dealing with video game conditions that you might ask for a little more accuracy from the player than perhaps you would in a real life setting.

#74 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 08:10 PM

Oh, this was inevitable, really. With the thread title and K11's excessive use of a good thing. I give you "Cannabis Vineyards". The view from hole #1s bunker, doobieously named, "The Burnout". (Actually, the only hole because no one really comes here to play golf.) Players have been known to enter the bunker, lay down in the sand and wonder when the "snack girl" will return. The bunker islands are edible but I do think here there is a risk of too much of a good thing. Yes, the sky is always a pinkish hue and the course/singular hole is always surrounded by a dense fog.

In all seriousness, I have had the bottom fall out of a few of my pot bunkers. It seems to occur with a sharper ended design. I was making a few narrowed potties and had this occur. Seems to resolve with a few spline tweaks.  Not sure if that's been mentioned. Amazingly, the splines tuck nicely together as they don't have much of an outer rim so Z fighting is less of an issue. Usage of this idea, who knows?

Cannabis Vineyards, hole #1 - view into the vast Wasteland

jWPYKAl.jpg

Never thought this would be relevant...https://store.speedt...peedweed-unity/

#75 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 08:14 PM

On sale now for...... $4.20

Of course, I live in Colorado so I have no need  :lol:

#76 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 09:08 PM

Great find Bortimus! Maybe Matthew can be in charge of collecting the high quality photographic textures for our billboard "grasses". I'm in the process of securing Cheech Marin for the head "greens keeper" role.

#77 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 12:22 PM

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#78 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 09:53 PM

Small issue I ran into. Similar as K11 odd mesh appearance at base, however, no amount of layers library tweaking was the solution. It was my spline points. You have to stay rounded.

Problem

Em98srH.jpg

Zoomed out view of entire spline

Dg95MCf.jpg

After 10 minutes of screwing around in layers library and on the LEFT side spline points, I tried something different (so as not to be defined as crazy)

kkG9EFE.jpg

All Better...

zlvb4CM.jpg

This technique saves me a significant amount of terrain tweaking for my edges of raised fairways. I don't necessarily like the contrasting textures along the face and the vertex point limitation (unity issue) but it is cleaner than doing it by hand and much faster.

9VWvFG9.jpg

• Kablammo11 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users