Photo

Posting Images

Best Answer Armand , 12 November 2016 - 01:12 AM

Using sites like Mike and Daz have suggested means you don't need to worry about the size limitation that the forum has.  You just upload your image to those sites and they will provide a link to the image - you just copy and paste that link into your post here and the image appears. 

For www.imgur.com, I use the BBCode tag, as circled in red here:

E9JuQtTl.png

And if you want, you can change the thumbnail size using the bottom right selections of "original", "small square", "large thumbnail", etc...  Just click on the size you want, then reselect the BBCode and paste it into the forum post.  You don't need to have an account to use the site and you can paste images from your clipboard (just use CTRL-V on the page to paste/upload the image).  I signed up for a free account, since I sometimes refer back to previous images and it's easier for me to find them.

For the www.imgsafe.org site, it appears you browse for the image on your hard drive and it will show a small thumbnail of it, with the word "UPLOAD" below it.  Click on upload, and then (when it's done) click on the thumbnail image.  A new window/tab will appear with your image.  Copy the URL (in the top of the window, something like i.imgsafe.org/xxxxxxxx.png ) and paste it into the forum:

http://i.imgsafe.org/66af5d59f7.png

As you can see, the image doesn't show directly in the forum, but a simple click on the link takes you there. 

Edit: 

imgsafe.org does not require an account, although it's very quick and easy to create one; then you can see all the images you've uploaded, similar to imgur.com.  I prefer imgur.com since you can paste the image from your clipboard without saving a file on your hard drive, but imgsafe.org is really simple to use.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Great_White_Shark

Great_White_Shark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 10:56 PM

I'm taking screen shot with paint in unity, how do i get the size down to 197 kb the allowable upload size they all seem to be over 1 mb..

#2 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 11:00 PM

I'm taking screen shot with paint in unity, how do i get the size down to 197 kb the allowable upload size they all seem to be over 1 mb..

Use an image sharing website like https://imgsafe.org/

#3 Great_White_Shark

Great_White_Shark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 11:03 PM

Cheers Mike..

#4 Great_White_Shark

Great_White_Shark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 11:10 PM

It just seems to be an image storage place nothing for editing ..i want to edit the file and bring it down in size....

#5 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 11 November 2016 - 11:21 PM

You can manipulate images to a degree with Paint.

If you fancy trying an alternative try GIMP. It's free.

https://www.gimp.org

The image hosting site Mike referred to makes it easier to upload images to forum threads and gets around the issue of  having to get files down to a particular size. I myself use Imgur.

#6 Great_White_Shark

Great_White_Shark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 11:30 PM

yeah i got it down on paint to rd 180 kb..but how do i get it to show up full size in here like other screen shot, mine seems to be rather small and not full sized...I'll try the site Mike gave me might solve the size issue..Cheers...

#7 Great_White_Shark

Great_White_Shark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 12:58 AM

Uploaded it to that site..saved to desktop...still says to large to upload....

#8 Armand

Armand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 12 November 2016 - 01:12 AM   Best Answer

Using sites like Mike and Daz have suggested means you don't need to worry about the size limitation that the forum has.  You just upload your image to those sites and they will provide a link to the image - you just copy and paste that link into your post here and the image appears. 

For www.imgur.com, I use the BBCode tag, as circled in red here:

E9JuQtTl.png

And if you want, you can change the thumbnail size using the bottom right selections of "original", "small square", "large thumbnail", etc...  Just click on the size you want, then reselect the BBCode and paste it into the forum post.  You don't need to have an account to use the site and you can paste images from your clipboard (just use CTRL-V on the page to paste/upload the image).  I signed up for a free account, since I sometimes refer back to previous images and it's easier for me to find them.

For the www.imgsafe.org site, it appears you browse for the image on your hard drive and it will show a small thumbnail of it, with the word "UPLOAD" below it.  Click on upload, and then (when it's done) click on the thumbnail image.  A new window/tab will appear with your image.  Copy the URL (in the top of the window, something like i.imgsafe.org/xxxxxxxx.png ) and paste it into the forum:

http://i.imgsafe.org/66af5d59f7.png

As you can see, the image doesn't show directly in the forum, but a simple click on the link takes you there. 

Edit: 

imgsafe.org does not require an account, although it's very quick and easy to create one; then you can see all the images you've uploaded, similar to imgur.com.  I prefer imgur.com since you can paste the image from your clipboard without saving a file on your hard drive, but imgsafe.org is really simple to use.

Edited by Armand, 12 November 2016 - 01:17 AM.

• Great_White_Shark likes this

#9 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 08:47 AM

It just seems to be an image storage place nothing for editing ..i want to edit the file and bring it down in size....

It's an image hosting site so you can just paste the link into the forum and display your picture without uploading it here. This is what you wanted in your original post. No need to use editing software just to post pics here. Armand explains it perfectly above.

#10 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 12 November 2016 - 12:14 PM

Uploaded it to that site..saved to desktop...still says to large to upload....

If you're using an image hosting site, don't copy the image to your desktop, that defeats the whole object.

Follow Armand's instructions.

#11 QBL_MrCobra

QBL_MrCobra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 05:55 PM

imgur.com is not working for me. I signed up. when I click add an image, I browse for my image, I see the green line going up to the right it's said 

1 image uploading... and nothing happened, no image nothing.

can't find up why.

#12 Armand

Armand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 13 November 2016 - 01:39 AM

Not sure what to tell you, since I've never had any issues like that; perhaps a refresh?  Log out and then back in to imgur and try again if your image isn't there.  What is the file extension you're uploading?  Could it be a copyrighted image? (I'm guessing it's a screen shot from CF, but in case not ...)

I just tried myself, but instead viewing my album of images when I uploaded, I was just at the main page (and logged in to my account).  After browsing and uploading the image, the link to the image appears when you hover the mouse over the image.  Also, there is a green button on the top left that says "Share with Community" - that will share the image with the IMGUR community.  If I copy the URL when hovering over the image and paste it, this is what I get:

http://imgur.com/8IMmQiI

If I copy the link that is provided to the right of the image (the links are different) and paste it to the forum, this is what I get:

http://imgur.com/a/2r7qy

The last option that I see is to click on the "Embed Image" on the lower right.  Doing that and copying/pasting the URL that is provided gives this:

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/2r7qy"><a href="//imgur.com/2r7qy"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

(Less than friendly!)

I'll leave it to you to determine what works best for you.  As I said, I'm usually looking at my album of images when I upload, so perhaps that is the difference.

Again, you don't need an account.  Maybe try without logging in or try imgsafe.org (you can create an account and access all your previous images there as well).

#13 uvmnick

uvmnick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 01:39 PM

To get the image to imgur or imgsafe, are you guys hitting Print Screen to capture the image in game, then pasting that to paint, then saving that as an image to upload into one of these two programs?

If that's not the process, then I'm really confused to how you can copy something to clip board in game? Is there a save feature I'm not aware of? Windows 10 doesn't have clipboard, so I'm missing this 1st step.

Nick

#14 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 01:41 PM

Here's an old post of mine that covers a few ways to do it. I think you'll like the snipping tool.
http://www.perfectpa...m/?fromsearch=1

#15 uvmnick

uvmnick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 05:25 PM

DPRoberts - thanks so much for the link. Helped out a lot. Much better process than printing screen and using paint.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users