Photo

The good, the bad and the downright ugly.

• Please log in to reply
197 replies to this topic

#1 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts
  • LocationCanvey Island, Essex, UK

Posted 09 December 2016 - 05:26 PM

My take on the new update is:

The Good: Control with the wedges, even on firm/fast greens is a joy. Now we can hit over a greenside bunker and stop/spin the ball. Not only does this improve the game considerably but it is much more realistic. The new hole physics now stops chip-ins that were going at 40mph from still going in and the same with over hit putts. Chipping is much more controllable, with better physics. Now we can generate more distance with over swing, especially welcome with fairway woods and long irons. I wasn't keen to hear that us 3 clickers would gain more accuracy off the tee with woods and long irons as I didn't feel it was unfair anyway but the physics are much more realistic, so I consider myself suitably corrected. 

The Bad: The complete lack of spin on pitch shots. Not necessarily a bad thing in my opinion, but it does make pitching very, very difficult. I'd like to see a bit more spin/control from fairway pitches, but that's just my opinion.

The Ugly: Any shot, either from a bunker or flopping. An absolute nightmare. Brilliant!

The Not sure: It seems that the stimp speeds have altered slightly, but that's probably just my paranoia?

Overall for me this is an excellent update. Thanks for your time and effort PP and beta testers, well worth the wait!

• gravedodger and IanK like this

#2 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 05:40 PM

- I also like the new cup/hole interactions and physics
- I hope the pitch shots get a bit of spin/stop ability put back into them
- Very happy to see the Flop "go-to" removed/tweaked out of the game

@Ian: I've had the same feeling about the Stimps, especially as I was always playing Stimp 14 before and that setting seems slightly different to me now.
  • IanK likes this

#3 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 05:50 PM

Buck, I also mainly play 14 and today, after the update, I kept coming up a tad short. It's not much but I'm so good at 14 and on 3 courses it was the same, that why I feel something has changed slightly.

#4 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 05:53 PM

Anyone have any thoughts on the fat/thin stuff out of the sand?

I find the concept of fat/thin shots sort of frustrating when we have no onscreen feedback post shot to know what did/didn't happen.

It's one of those things that's really tough vs real life where you instantly know a fat/thin shot by feel and without any feedback is frustrating in a virtual game/simulation setting.
  • footslogger likes this

#5 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 06:01 PM

Anyone have any thoughts on the fat/thin stuff out of the sand?
I find the concept of fat/thin shots sort of frustrating when we have no onscreen feedback post shot to know what did/didn't happen.
It's one of those things that's really tough vs real life where you instantly know a fat/thin shot by feel and without any feedback is frustrating in a virtual game/simulation setting.

I use RTS-C and I've never noticed any fat/thin effect.
Steam Name: n.bonaparte
WWG1WGA

#6 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 06:06 PM

Ian, do you give lessons, as I need a lot of help! ;) 

#7 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 06:20 PM

I use RTS-C and I've never noticed any fat/thin effect.

"Bunker shots have also received some physics love and now the ball behaves more realistically on shots where the ball is caught slightly fat or thin on levels above Amateur."

Seen under "physics improvements" here:

http://www.perfectpa...ed/#entry120529

#8 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 06:33 PM

"Bunker shots have also received some physics love and now the ball behaves more realistically on shots where the ball is caught slightly fat or thin on levels above Amateur."

Seen under "physics improvements" here:
http://www.perfectpa...ed/#entry120529

I thought this was just for RTS-M and 3C swings or perhaps I'm just damn good. ;-)
WWG1WGA

#9 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 06:34 PM

I thought this was just for RTS-M swings!

Is that true?

Physics & ball interaction tweaks are different depending upon the swing method?

#10 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 06:36 PM

Is that true?
Physics & ball interaction tweaks are different depending upon the swing method?

I'm probably wrong Buck but I've never seen that effect using RTS-C.
WWG1WGA

#11 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 06:39 PM

Hacker and Beginner have no Fat/Thin.  But, each swing method has been tweaked to try and balance the swing types.  I play with an old wireless 360 controller and I can chili dip a bunker shot quite easily if I'm not paying attention.

Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

#12 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 09 December 2016 - 06:43 PM

I have been wondering how fat/thin has been implemented on RTS-C as it is a massive increase in difficulty now on 3-Click, if like me you have a terrible time hitting the snap!

life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#13 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 06:44 PM

Hacker and Beginner have no Fat/Thin.  But, each swing method has been tweaked to try and balance the swing types.  I play with an old wireless 360 controller and I can chili dip a bunker shot quite easily if I'm not paying attention.

I play Pro. I find bunker shots a little too easy at the moment but I suppose in real life they are no problem for the pros.
WWG1WGA

#14 SirGrassCutter

SirGrassCutter

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationIn the heavy rough

Posted 09 December 2016 - 06:47 PM

I have been wondering how fat/thin has been implemented on RTS-C as it is a massive increase in difficulty now on 3-Click, if like me you have a terrible time hitting the snap!

Well my beloved 3rd click slides thankfully were not broken in this update.  :P

#15 SirGrassCutter

SirGrassCutter

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 06:48 PM

I play Pro. I find bunker shots a little too easy at the moment but I suppose in real life they are no problem for the pros.

Bravo for you mate.  I have already had the ole 3 swings to get out of the bunker.  This update is a real hoot full of laughs with my friends.

#16 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 07:22 PM

Bravo for you mate.  I have already had the ole 3 swings to get out of the bunker.  This update is a real hoot full of laughs with my friends.

It was just a statement of fact not a boast. I guess you are a 3 clicker 'mate'?
WWG1WGA

#17 JoeF

JoeF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Ontario, Canada

Posted 09 December 2016 - 07:34 PM

- I also like the new cup/hole interactions and physics
- I hope the pitch shots get a bit of spin/stop ability put back into them
- Very happy to see the Flop "go-to" removed/tweaked out of the game

@Ian: I've had the same feeling about the Stimps, especially as I was always playing Stimp 14 before and that setting seems slightly different to me now.

Buck, I also mainly play 14 and today, after the update, I kept coming up a tad short. It's not much but I'm so good at 14 and on 3 courses it was the same, that why I feel something has changed slightly.

Buck & Ian.  The stimp hasn't changed.   :)  Perhaps you were just being a bit more cautious with pace now that the cup physics are less receptive to over-hit putts.   ;)

Intel i5-4570 cpu @ 3.2 GHz, ASUS Z74-K mb, ASUS GeForce GTX 960 gpu, 16 GB ram, 2 x SSD drives, Windows 10 64 bit

Steam name: sound_flier

#18 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 07:41 PM

Joe, I can assure you, I've always been cautious when it comes to putting on 14 stimp, I wish I could say the same for my Alt Shot partners! :P 

#19 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 07:46 PM

Buck & Ian.  The stimp hasn't changed.   :)  Perhaps you were just being a bit more cautious with pace now that the cup physics are less receptive to over-hit putts.   ;)

Hmm
I don't know

Just feels different somehow.
Odd

I'm sure it'll pass quickly. No worries

#20 SirGrassCutter

SirGrassCutter

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 05:54 AM

It was just a statement of fact not a boast. I guess you are a 3 clicker 'mate'?

Yep I am a 3 clicker.  I was just joking but also saying what happened to me now being able to flum a shot with the 3 click.  I think this is great.  Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users