72 replies to this topic

#41 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 03:23 PM

Buck do you mean if the imagery contains houses you should be putting houses on top of it, or maybe texture over it like grass or something?  Because placing houses all around the map is gonna do nothing but slow it down.  I'm saying this also because scottsdale has so many periphary houses that it would be madness to fill them all with 3d objects, i certainly wont be doing it.

I mean that texturing should be used that isn't just laying down a low resolution sat image.

I really think, unless you can get a hold of the best of the best quality sat images ($$$), they should just be used to guide texture/foilage/buidling placement during design and construction and not actually be "part of the final design".

They're likely quite suitable for distance imagery however - if the coloring is correct/fixed.

People do this all the time in Flight Sim scenery creation and the "area" around an airport ends up being Ortho imagery that's just laid down.  It's more acceptable in that context because you're seeing the low quality imagery from so far away (thousands of virtual feet of elevation) most of the time (save for landing/pattern ops).

In a golf game it sticks out like a sore thumb because the camera is always so close to it.

• axe360 likes this

#42 johnmeyer

johnmeyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 03:57 PM

I did a little bit of experimenting with Houses and LOD, and one way that seemed to improve things was if  youve got identical houses that use the same materials, if you parent child them in you rheirachy it did seem to reduce the draw calls,

So say youve got 4 identical houses called house1 that show separately in you heirachy. If you drag 3 of them "into" the 4th so you will then have 1 "parent"  house1 and 3 "child" house1s

As I understand it as long as these are all identical and using the same materials etc it will sort of batch them and so save on draw calls, number of materials etc etc.

OGT Simulator Tour Admin

#43 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 17 December 2016 - 08:43 AM

Pushing to get a beta for everyone this weekend, without houses. I'm feeling pretty comfortable with how the course feels otherwise, so it's time to get this sucker out soon.
  • Fairwayman, Perculator and johnmeyer like this

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#44 curtis rogers

curtis rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 04:03 PM

looks like another great course . thanks Mathew.

#45 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 10:15 PM

B)

#46 Mulligan

Mulligan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  • LocationVirtual Private Network

Posted 18 December 2016 - 10:22 PM

You'll seldom see me publically anticipating a course but this is the one that does it for me.

• mebby likes this

#47 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 05:23 AM

Beta is out.... a few warts have already been revealed (trees don't have shadows) but hopefully nothing that is not easily rectified.

• Tresclub, mebby and Pro 8 ball uk like this

#48 Pro 8 ball uk

Pro 8 ball uk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 01:26 PM

Beta is out.... a few warts have already been revealed (trees don't have shadows) but hopefully nothing that is not easily rectified.

Love PB how can i get your beta please

#49 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 12:22 AM

You can get it on OGT, but I'd give it some more time; the course as currently available has a lot of issues. Beta testing has been brutal so far.

#50 Quigs

Quigs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 11:27 AM

You can get it on OGT, but I'd give it some more time; the course as currently available has a lot of issues. Beta testing has been brutal so far.

Got to defend you here. "Brutal" is not really fair :)

The course is fantastic even in its current state. Minor glitches that are part of every beta when new eyes get on it. You can no doubt see the countless hours put into this. Much appreciated. First round I got flashbacks to playing this course on Links over and over. For many of us, that is all we ever knew. 

#51 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 07:47 PM

To be fair, I've dropped the ball on a couple pretty dumb things, like forgetting to turn the shadows on. No prizes for guessing why nobody was seeing any...

At the same time it's been frustrating to see testers complain about textures and other subjective issues, like the ocean water plane. I think it looks pretty good, even with the reflection turned off which one person suggested I do to help performance.

Sometimes it is simply a matter of taste and sometimes it is simply that I'm limited to what Unity and Course Forge have available to me. I personally don't have any complaints about it, apart from some trees I feel like everything I've needed is more than adequately provided in the default program, but I think there are some that aren't completely satisfied with all the options and expect me to either take the time and effort to seek out better assets and maybe even expect me to spend money out of my own pocket for pro upgrades that I really can't justify doing. Reading Doggz' post this morning was distressing to me....  there have been times where designing has caused stress in my own household, especially when it comes to spending money ("You want to spend $40 on a virtual tree?"), but I'm happy to say things aren't nearly as serious as they are in his case. When you spend the time we do on these "games" and you have small children and mouths to feed and bills to pay, sometimes the frivolity of all this is forgotten.

I'm lucky that to this point there have been several people here who have been extremely generous in offering to share objects and trees with me, whether that be ones they purchased themselves or have made from scratch. This is really a group effort and I hope to credit as many people as I can in the final product, perhaps in the splash screen.

Anyway, I press on.... I think I'm going to try for an update tonight or tomorrow. I'm waiting for one of my more thorough testers to finish his autopsy on the back nine and then I'll get to work. RobC has done the Yacht Club for me which is sitting nicely aside the 17th tee now, and looks terrific.

#52 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:00 PM

Thx for your efforts Matt.

The cost of these assets is one of the many reasons I've always felt we should have a way to donate to course designers and/or pay them for their work.

#53 Tresclub

Tresclub

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • LocationLa Mesa, CA USA

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:43 PM

Just finished 18 holes.  LOOKS GREAT!  Love this course. 
Ranks right up the with the Links  Bay Hill, Harbor Town, Firestone, Doral, etc, etc.

Anxiously awaiting your update.

Warren

PerfectGolfMember2.jpg 

“You only live once, do it right, and once is enough."

Windows 10 Home 64-bit |Intel® Core™ i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.2GHz | nVidea GeForce GTX 1070 FTW
16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 | 2/Samsung EVO 850 500gb SSD | Corsair 600cx PwrSup
BenQ ZOWIE 27" 1ms LCD HD | DirectX 12 | Realtek High Definition Audio | HD Pro Webcam C920

#54 Drgnslyr221

Drgnslyr221

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • LocationLakewood, CO

Posted 20 December 2016 - 09:59 PM

The only problems with the course are related to Unity and how CF lays down textures. You've done a superb job.

#55 Perculator

Perculator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 09:10 AM

When I saw the comment about "brutal testing" I had to wonder what the hell you were talking about. A friend and I played a full 18 holes the other day and found the course to be outstanding in every way. Fantastic job and thank you Mr. Rose.

i5-4670K | GeForce GTX 970 4GB | 16GB DDR3 RAM | Windows 10 64 bit.

#56 chicago43055

chicago43055

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 03:32 AM

Can anyone play this beta version of Pebble Beach?  Can not find the link.  Thank You for your assistance.

#57 Armand

Armand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 22 December 2016 - 04:35 AM

You need to sign up for the Beta testing group at OGT, and once approved, you can then download and test beta courses that are submitted at OGT.

http://www.onlinegol....php?f=87&t=857

#58 dlocke1962

dlocke1962

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 02:30 PM

To be fair, I've dropped the ball on a couple pretty dumb things, like forgetting to turn the shadows on. No prizes for guessing why nobody was seeing any...

At the same time it's been frustrating to see testers complain about textures and other subjective issues, like the ocean water plane. I think it looks pretty good, even with the reflection turned off which one person suggested I do to help performance.

Sometimes it is simply a matter of taste and sometimes it is simply that I'm limited to what Unity and Course Forge have available to me. I personally don't have any complaints about it, apart from some trees I feel like everything I've needed is more than adequately provided in the default program, but I think there are some that aren't completely satisfied with all the options and expect me to either take the time and effort to seek out better assets and maybe even expect me to spend money out of my own pocket for pro upgrades that I really can't justify doing. Reading Doggz' post this morning was distressing to me....  there have been times where designing has caused stress in my own household, especially when it comes to spending money ("You want to spend $40 on a virtual tree?"), but I'm happy to say things aren't nearly as serious as they are in his case. When you spend the time we do on these "games" and you have small children and mouths to feed and bills to pay, sometimes the frivolity of all this is forgotten.

I'm lucky that to this point there have been several people here who have been extremely generous in offering to share objects and trees with me, whether that be ones they purchased themselves or have made from scratch. This is really a group effort and I hope to credit as many people as I can in the final product, perhaps in the splash screen.

Anyway, I press on.... I think I'm going to try for an update tonight or tomorrow. I'm waiting for one of my more thorough testers to finish his autopsy on the back nine and then I'll get to work. RobC has done the Yacht Club for me which is sitting nicely aside the 17th tee now, and looks terrific.

I have not had the pleasure of trying your new course yet but if anything like the others I imagine it is great. This really hit home for me this post of yours. i have yet to read DoGgz post. I was one of the people that originally thought payment may not be such a good idea. Now that CF is out and I have TRIED to use it, I take back my sentiments. You guys should have an option to receive something for your work. I would suggest all the designers create a Paypal account of their own and just take what ever is given. This is a great game and has some fantastic course made by wonderful designers that take their personal time and money to create these....works of art..... for us to escape real life on. I for one would be happy to donate a little for courses. just my sentiment. Thanks Matthew for your efforts and all you do to enhance MY enjoyment of the game. Shame on anyone the berates a designer because the course does not fit YOUR vision.

#59 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 07:53 PM

It's alright, I'm used to it, but I'm also admittedly a little thin-skinned about it sometimes. I trashed the first Links beta I ever did because the beta testing was so negative and the amount of work required to make it "good" was so great that it didn't become worth it to me to even finish it, so I literally quit and didn't touch the game again for five years. I eventually released that course 8 years later.

In retrospect, it was an overreaction and probably not a necessary one to have, but even now I still get my guard up just a little bit, if only because I think there seems to be a sense of entitlement. I'm usually reluctant to do high profile projects like this because there is always someone out there who either has unrealistic standards, or has some kind of vision or personal taste that doesn't remotely match your own - to those people I just wanna shake my head and say "well do your own version then", but it isn't worth it anymore to engage with that mindset.

Sorry, I'm a little behind this week. I really, really wanted this released on or before Christmas Day, but I wonder if I should subject it to another round of testing first.

I've had to have some medical tests done as I've been having some sharp discomfort in some rather compromising places. I guess this is what I have to look forward to in my 40s.

#60 shanker01

shanker01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 08:24 PM

Please release it to the public cause it would be a wonderful christmas gift!!!! You could always do an update later. I just love your courses warts and all in some peoples opinion but not mine. Keep up the great work and thank you again for so many beautiful courses. You deserve a huge pat on the back from all the players and also all the other designers who have given us all these free courses. Anyone who complains should be ashamed of themselves. Merry Christmas and a happy New Year to you and your family.  P.S. Health only gets more interesting as the years move on . Ho Ho HO!!!

stock 7700k intel cpu

gtx 1070 gpu

liquid cooled

250 ssd drive and 1 terabyte hard drive

32 omen q monitor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users