286 replies to this topic

#101 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 04:48 PM

Ahhhh. So it wouldn't work on an XBOX ONE then. It has to be the ONE S model?

I was just teasing - I have no idea..

I'd guess that on a console you'll want all the power you can get though...

#102 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 04:50 PM

Both are the same in terms of cpu/gpu.

Scorpio is what im waiting for.

#103 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 04:55 PM

On this note...

If you have use for an Amazon $30 gift card, you can get into a new XBOX One S for $219 (USA) 

http://a.co/jcB05cU

or a PS4 Slim for $229 (no gift card, just a nice low price)

http://a.co/e3U8JBZ

#104 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 23 December 2016 - 05:12 PM

Ahhhh. So it wouldn't work on an XBOX ONE then. It has to be the ONE S model?

It would work on an XBox One.  The XBox One S is said to yield up to 11% frame rate improvement, in some games, over the original XB1.  I suspect games like Jack Nicklaus Perfect Golf and The Golf Club would see close to the maximum boost from  the "S".

Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz 
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#105 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 05:15 PM

It would work on an XBox One.  The XBox One S is said to yield up to 11% frame rate improvement, in some games, over the original XB1.  I suspect games like Jack Nicklaus Perfect Golf and The Golf Club would see close to the maximum boost from  the "S".

Isn't the boosted performance only available to devs looking to implement HDR though?  (that's what I've read anyhow)

#106 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 23 December 2016 - 05:21 PM

Isn't the boosted performance only available to devs looking to implement HDR though?  (that's what I've read anyhow)

No, the S does have more raw processing power for standard games.  Here's a list from VG24/7 as to what they saw in their tests of standard games:

• Project Cars first-person – average 7% improvement, spiking to 5fps
  • Project Cars third-person – average 11% improvement, spiking to 9fps
  • Hitman in unlocked frame rate mode – 6.1% improvement in cutscenes, 8.1% improvement in gameplay
  • Resident Evil 5 Remastered – 2.5% improvement
  • Tomb Raider – eliminates dips below 30fps lock
  • Batman: Arkham Knight – 4% improvement, reduction in stutter
  • Alan Wake’s American Nightmare (backwards compatible) – reduction in dips below 30fps lock

And from Eurogamer.net, here's why:

Xbox One S                                     Xbox One

GPU                              12 Compute Units                         12 Compute Units

GPU Clock                     914MHz                                         853MHz

Comp Performance       1.4TF                                             1.31TF

ESRAM Bandwidth        219GB/s                                        204GB/s

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#107 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 05:21 PM

Nice!

XB1S is definitely the one to get if buying now, no question.

#108 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 23 December 2016 - 05:36 PM

Nice!

XB1S is definitely the one to get if buying now, no question.

Yep, especially considering the price.  I fixed that last table containing the technical performance stats to where it's now readable in my previous post.  Those numbers back up the results that VG24/7 found in their tests.

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#109 jeffield

jeffield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 06:37 PM

If i end up choosing between an xboxone, Xbox Scorpio or a gaming pc. I think I'm leaning to scorpio. Even if jnpg releases on console before the fall of '17 and i have to wait. I don't think I want an xboxone now and then see the Scorpio come out and blow it away. Ps4 until then and my gaming laptop.

#110 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 23 December 2016 - 06:45 PM

If i end up choosing between an xboxone, Xbox Scorpio or a gaming pc. I think I'm leaning to scorpio. Even if jnpg releases on console before the fall of '17 and i have to wait. I don't think I want an xboxone now and then see the Scorpio come out and blow it away. Ps4 until then and my gaming laptop.

That would be the direction I would go also Jeffield.  The Scorpio is going to have over 4X the processing power of the "S".

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#111 jeffield

jeffield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 04:13 PM

I hate to wait jca04 but, no sense in it. Hopefully jnpg wont release on console until the Scorpio does. :) I know , I'm just kidding

#112 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 24 December 2016 - 05:10 PM

I hate to wait jca04 but, no sense in it. Hopefully jnpg wont release on console until the Scorpio does. :) I know , I'm just kidding

From all I'm reading, the XBox Scorpio will hit the market in October or November.  I'll be surprised if JNPG hasn't released for the XBox One by then, but who knows?  It sounds like the Windows 10 PC and XBox One versions can pretty much be developed in parallel, so I really expect them to release very close to each other, if not the same day.  My hunch is that PP isn't going to release the Windows 10 version of JNPG until they have new mo-capped golfers in the mix.  That will be a determining factor in the release date as much as anything, IMO, but it's just pure speculation on my part.  

Can you imagine what JNPG will look like with hi-res mo-capped golfers and 3-D grass on a 4K display @ 60 FPS, via the XBox Scorpio!?

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#113 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 05:54 PM

4K display @ 60 FPS

PG rendering at 4K....That might be a stretch to get 60fps locked all the time....I guess depending upon settings maybe.

Maybe you just mean upscaled from a lower rendering resolution?

(I'd love to be surprised by performance improvements with the new Unity/DX of course)

#114 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 24 December 2016 - 06:26 PM

PG rendering at 4K....That might be a stretch to get 60fps locked all the time....I guess depending upon settings maybe.

(I'd love to be surprised by performance improvements with the new Unity/DX of course)

60 FPS at 4K is Microsoft's goal for the Scorpio, but they've also said they won't hold developers to it.  I think it would be hard pressed to deliver Perfect Golf at 4K/60 FPS.  I'd be happy with a steady 60 FPS at 1080p, to be honest.  I would be interested to see if it could maintain a playable frame rate at 4K, which would be >40 FPS based on my experience with the current game.  You're right though, we may be surprised by the performance improvements to be realized though Unity 5.5 (and beyond?) and DirectX 11/12.

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#115 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 24 December 2016 - 10:02 PM

Can you imagine what JNPG will look like with hi-res mo-capped golfers and 3-D grass on a 4K display @ 60 FPS, via the XBox Scorpio!?

TGC?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

#116 DivotMaker

DivotMaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 10:14 PM

If the move to Unity 5.5 improves framerates like has been mentioned before and DX11/12 can enable more gpu horsepower, it is possible. Could Scorpio do it? Current specs suggest it can. My guess is the Win10 version could with a strong GPU and 16 GB or more frame buffer....

PC

Xbox One X

Steam ID: DivotMaker

#117 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 10:55 PM

TGC?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think The Goldentee Club chat is over in off topic area under "arcade games"
  • mebby likes this

#118 jeffield

jeffield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 02:17 PM

I think The Goldentee Club chat is over in off topic area under "arcade games"

I'm hoping tgc2 moves away from the goldentee. style golfing with its selectable difficulty decisions. It still won't be as realistic as jnpg but should make it a very good console game with a lot of extras. its already fun if you set driving to hardest although it doesnt benefit you much by doing so and everyone else can play you on easy settings. (Currently)

#119 DivotMaker

DivotMaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 03:25 PM

I'm hoping tgc2 moves away from the goldentee. style golfing with its selectable difficulty decisions. It still won't be as realistic as jnpg but should make it a very good console game with a lot of extras. its already fun if you set driving to hardest although it doesnt benefit you much by doing so and everyone else can play you on easy settings. (Currently)

IMO, setting driving to "hardest" is a faux difficulty. All you are doing is lofting the club up. Yes it has more risk/reward, but it is so easy to execute a straight shot that it doesn't present much of a challenge, again IMO. And I played close to 30 rounds with it and with all aids off.....

PC

Xbox One X

Steam ID: DivotMaker

#120 jeffield

jeffield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 11:46 PM

I agree with you it is a faux difficulty addition. Simply setting a preset to uploft is Not adding a more challenging setting. It is a cheese way to do it but, without the preset you would have to uploft it yourself every time and, we all know how tiresome that would become

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users