#1 Maineah

Maineah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationMaine, U.S.A.

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:16 PM

Just saw the new video for importing from bing maps to CF-- I must say this is going to be so awesome!

its in the video section of the website-- check it out!!

• Erik Lugris likes this

#2 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:06 PM

I have to agree, looks super simple and cool!! :)

• Erik Lugris likes this

Intel Core i5-6600 CPU 3.3 GHz       Geforce GTX 1060        16GB  RAM       Windows 10 64 bit

Hazyview  (600m above sea level)    --   Nautilus Bay  (Revamp done)  --  Cape Fear  (TGC  adaptation)  --  Aloe Ridge  --  Nahoon Reef GC  --  Chambers Bay 

Abel's Crossing  --  Solitude Links GC

#3 FixAmer1st

FixAmer1st

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • LocationSun City Center, FL

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:08 PM

I'll definitely take a look.  I opened Bing Maps last night and after a bit of browsing around finally found the course I have been trying to design ever since the 2001 apcd came out. Never could learn it so I never completed it.

One thing about Bing. I centered the course in the main window and one click was way to close and one more click up was way to large. I need about a half click movement.

Jerry

• Erik Lugris likes this

Links Golf
CPU_Match_Play_Tour.jpg
CPU_Director_2013.jpg
Administrator of KISS Tours

Dell XPS Desktop
4th Generation Intel Core i7-4790 @ 4.0 GHz
16 GB DDR3 Memory
Win7 64 bit Home Premium
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 4GB
1TB SATA HardDrive

#4 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:09 PM

... and I have to agree to agree! :D

• Erik Lugris likes this
life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#5 garynorman

garynorman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • LocationBedfordshire, England

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:15 PM

Amazing!!  Please hurry up and release this stuff!!!! ;)

• Erik Lugris likes this

#6 FixAmer1st

FixAmer1st

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:06 PM

Just in case I hadn't found the correct Bing site with my web search can anybody give me the Bing Maps web site address please? I found so many links in the search.

Jerry

Links Golf
CPU_Match_Play_Tour.jpg
CPU_Director_2013.jpg

Dell XPS Desktop
16 GB DDR3 Memory
Win7 64 bit Home Premium
1TB SATA HardDrive

#7 Jimbo63

Jimbo63

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • LocationManchester, England

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:12 PM

Jerry

It may be that you will be able to adjust the download size by reducing the size of the window that you open in Bing to just cover the area of the course that you require. I know that is one of the ways the USGS site works for downloads, it can give you the area that your browser window covers. This way of downloading and using the info is IMO even easier than the way we use height info and course pics when designing courses for TW2008. The whole design package looks very, very promising.

#8 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:12 PM

@ Jerry. Ther ya go... what other bing is there? http://www.bing.com/maps/

@PP: Nice Video. You had to go and torture me with it, didn't you? Now I want it, I don't have it, I'm miserable. You happy now?

• Erik Lugris and Davefevs like this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#9 Davefevs

Davefevs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:33 PM

Looks great.....although I wish they'd previewed an actual course!

#10 FixAmer1st

FixAmer1st

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:22 PM

Jerry

It may be that you will be able to adjust the download size by reducing the size of the window that you open in Bing to just cover the area of the course that you require. I know that is one of the ways the USGS site works for downloads, it can give you the area that your browser window covers. This way of downloading and using the info is IMO even easier than the way we use height info and course pics when designing courses for TW2008. The whole design package looks very, very promising.

Might be but the biggest problem is that it is very rectangular with the height about almost the size if the width.  If I could rotate the view to east/west rather than the north/south the Bing site displays it would fit into the Bing window. Anyway to do this?

Also, with the size of the Bing Window, if I change to Bird's Eye View from Aerial View the course then fits easily. The Opening Bing Aerial View will not. What's the difference between Bird's Eye and Aerial? I am not sure but Bird's Eye looks like a slightly slanted view to me.

Here's my course.  http://binged.it/14hOMrA

Anybody familiar with it?

Jerry

Links Golf
CPU_Match_Play_Tour.jpg
CPU_Director_2013.jpg

Dell XPS Desktop
16 GB DDR3 Memory
Win7 64 bit Home Premium
1TB SATA HardDrive

#11 Jimbo63

Jimbo63

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:34 PM

Jerry

If you hover your mouse over the right of the browser window until you see a double arrow, you can move the browser window to the left until you get the course and surrounds squarer. I am hoping that this will be the download area . . . fingers crossed.

#12 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:06 PM

For the love of all that's holy.

That Course Converting Tool looks f'kin awesome. The ease in which a snapshot of the Grand Canyon was effectively imported in to Unity was too good to be true. I'm sure the Course Forge will see plenty of action once both it and the Course Conversion Tool are made available to the ever eager community.

My home course - http://binged.it/126XN4S - can see it best with BING Maps in fullscreen mode

Great work AJ (and PP).

:D

• Erik Lugris likes this

#13 keriboi

keriboi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:58 PM

This is my course where I am a greenkeeper. Its 27 Holes so hopefully PPG can do 27 hole courses

http://binged.it/10TpFXK

• Erik Lugris likes this

#14 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:43 PM

Ok so you have a way to import a dem, now what will be the method for drawing out each hole?  We have a Terrain Assist Program at Course Source that allows us to draw/trace out each hole, every green, bunker, fairway. and import that onto our Plot.. Interested in knowing how PP will do this?

Peace

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#15 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:43 PM

Ok so you have a way to import a dem, now what will be the method for drawing out each hole?  We have a Terrain Assist Program at Course Source that allows us to draw/trace out each hole, every green, bunker, fairway. and import that onto our Plot.. Interested in knowing how PP will do this?

Peace

Axe,

Very much the same way as you describe. You will have the heightmap (if terrain imported using the Course Converter) then using the Course Forge tools you will draw out your holes placing tees, greens, fairway, bunkers etc.

If you have watched the 15 minute clip MJ uploaded where he designs a par 3, this will give you some idea how Course Forge will work. This is as much as we have seen because Course Forge isn't out yet.

Also, if you peruse some of the gallery images on this site, you will see that some pics of the Course Forge show holes being overlaid over an image of the actual course/holes (see below)

gallery_443_18_481288.png

#16 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:49 PM

Thank You Daz...Yes I did watch the video and thanks for that pic, I had'nt caught that..

Exciting stuff.. :D

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#17 John Griffin

John Griffin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:08 AM

Looks great.....although I wish they'd previewed an actual course!

Yeah, but they were going for maximum effect by showing the extreme elevation changes in the Grand Canyon.

Although :ph34r: - did you catch the content in the folders as Andrew was browsing through?  Cypress Point! Absolutely the first course I would go play with if I had a new toy like this!! :D

• Davefevs likes this

#18 John Griffin

John Griffin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:16 AM

I did find this on a Bing Maps blog regarding Bing data resolution available:

Currently elevation information is available with the following resolutions: Global Coverage (including poles): 900m resolution (Globe), Global Coverage (56⁰S to 60⁰N):90m resolution (SRTM).US coverage: 10m resolution (NED).

http://www.bing.com/...ations-api.aspx

Looks like USA has 10m resolution, a good portion of the rest of the world has only 90m coverage.  10m will get you in the ballpark for major elevations across a plot the size of a golf course, but 90m isn't going to show much detail at all.  I hope Bing works to improve resolution available for both USA and global coverage.

This is why I'm hoping the Converter tool can also import elevation data output from the USGS which is available in at least 3m resolution for USA.  3m data will show a lot more feature detail than 10m.  Of course with that approach you'll have to manually line up a aerial image texture with the elevation data, so it's a bit of a tradeoff - ease of use vs. data resolution.

#19 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:21 AM

90m coverage? Oh well.... it was a nice dream while it lasted! :lol:

life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#20 Jimbo63

Jimbo63

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:23 AM

90m is the resolution I have used to produce UK courses for TW2008. It is OK for the general layout, but it always leaves you wondering about the smaller height adjustments that it obviously cannot show. Without you going to visit the course or being able to get further info from other sources, rest of the world courses will always be something of an artistic interpretation IMO.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users