• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 GolfClubHater

GolfClubHater

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 12:09 AM

How will this work? Will I be able to see a visual indicator of my putting Stregnth? I have tried another game on PC and I fiercely dislike their putting and unwilligness to make it at the very least an option(frowning on accesibility is the same laughing in the face of Dollars).

• GolfClubHater likes this

#2 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 02:59 AM

Do we really need usernames like this?

• Volker likes this

#3 noelw1969

noelw1969

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationStafford, UK

Posted 11 January 2015 - 10:14 AM

I too am hoping for some kind of putting meter. To me, it makes perfect sense to have one.

Now, this is not to say that I would kick up a stink if there wasn't one, but only on certain aspects of the game. Those aspects being certain tournaments where the creator does not want them or perhaps areas of the game where if you wish to make progress, you have to play events without them.

I too have played this "other" golf game and despite the few who claim that the putting is perfect, I can tell you now that it isn't and for many, many reasons. One of those reasons is that there is no meter but in fairness, even if there was a meter, there would still be big issues with the putting. I have no doubt that PP will produce a much better putting experience.

#4 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 11:15 AM

I'm one of those who don't want a putting meter as I feel that putting should be done on 'feel' rather than watching a meter.
For what it's worth, I think the putting on TGC is almost spot on, and I would like to see a similar method used in PG.
  • MERACE and karma4u like this
Steam Name: n.bonaparte
WWG1WGA

#5 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 11:28 AM

There is a putting meter, but it's the same for all putts. The little flag symbols stands for the level distance to the hole + 2 feet. Players adjust for elevation or fringe effects by stopping the pointer above or below the mark. The aiming stick is used only to set the line.

u7TG22e.jpg

A lot of thought and lengthy debates have gone into this system. It comes nearest to the real putting experience of all the putting meters I have played with. The measure of this statement is the quality of the bad putts that I hit, while testing - and even though it looks as if it is easy to use, I did produce quite a lot of real stinkers, which is a good thing, because it still requires you to be very precise with the amount of power you use for each shot; just a tiny bit off either way and you're in 3 putt-trouble.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#6 Volker

Volker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationSehnde, Germany

Posted 11 January 2015 - 12:18 PM

That sounds good, K11

#7 noelw1969

noelw1969

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationStafford, UK

Posted 11 January 2015 - 01:55 PM

I would gladly welcome this method K11.

Looks good but can I guess that this the 3C meter or will the same thing be used for mouse play ?

#8 LasseThid

LasseThid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationMölndal, Sweden

Posted 11 January 2015 - 03:05 PM

A lot of thought and lengthy debates have gone into this system. It comes nearest to the real putting experience of all the putting meters I have played with. The measure of this statement is the quality of the bad putts that I hit, while testing - and even though it looks as if it is easy to use, I did produce quite a lot of real stinkers, which is a good thing, because it still requires you to be very precise with the amount of power you use for each shot; just a tiny bit off either way and you're in 3 putt-trouble.

As far as click goes I guess it's ok, even though I'm not quite sure I like it. For the mouse swing I hope it's based on length of backswing and forward speed, as this kind of meter seems to me to make it too easy to get the ball faily close all of the time.

Mobo: Asus Sabertooth P67 CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H60 RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR 3 1600 MHz 8GB GPU: MSI GeForce 970 GTX Gaming 4G Sound: Creative Soundblaster Extreme Gamer SSD: OCZ Agility 3 64GB HDD: 1x 2TB, 1x 1TB, 1x 320 GB Western Digital PSU: Corsair CX 600W Chassi: Thermaltake Aguila

#9 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 03:09 PM

I hope one of the mouse swing testers can field this one - mouse swing is supposed to be tied in with the animation, so I'm quite certain that it will not use a swing meter. Perhaps you will get a uniform putting stroke with the same preset distance and will have to adjust for the strength based on elevation difference with the mouse.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#10 GolfClubHater

GolfClubHater

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 03:19 PM

Yes Shimonko we do. Noel gets it. Anyway Thanks for the responses. That looks decents

#11 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 11 January 2015 - 03:36 PM

I hope one of the mouse swing testers can field this one - mouse swing is supposed to be tied in with the animation, so I'm quite certain that it will not use a swing meter. Perhaps you will get a uniform putting stroke with the same preset distance and will have to adjust for the strength based on elevation difference with the mouse.

Right..

I believe once the swing is tied to the avi (motion swing) PG does away with the putting meter we use right now..

You don't need a meter in motion swing, you watch your club... ;)

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#12 flyer01

flyer01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 January 2015 - 03:56 PM

Thanks for all the great info K11. Will green speed be one of the fringe effects we adjust for or will the position of the flag take care of that?

ASUS ROG LAPTOP,  i7-4720HQ, G-sync IPS, 16GB, 1TB HDD, 256GB PCIEG2 SSD, GTX970M GDDR5, WIN. 8.1

#13 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 06:51 PM

I don't want to look at a meter when I'm putting or playing a shot. I want to be able to judge the putt or shot using a real time golf stroke. A putting meter is a step backwards in my opinion.
WWG1WGA

#14 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 06:58 PM

If it's eventually tied into the animation, then you won't need to...

#15 MERACE

MERACE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 11:06 PM

I'm one of those who don't want a putting meter as I feel that putting should be done on 'feel' rather than watching a meter.
For what it's worth, I think the putting on TGC is almost spot on, and I would like to see a similar method used in PG.

^^^ +1

I'm another one of those that like the 'feel' of the putting in TGC. I would like something similar to eventually be in PG.

-MERACE
  • IanK likes this

#16 LasseThid

LasseThid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationMölndal, Sweden

Posted 12 January 2015 - 06:49 AM

I'd prefer that the putter has a fixed length for a full swing rather than you setting the distance and then making a "full swing" all of the time, since that's nothing like putting in real life. To me it feels like it would be too easy if the same kind of swing always puts you within 5 feet of the hole. But that's just my opinion and like in most other cases I have to live with what's given to me...  :lol:

• J_Schollmeyer likes this

Mobo: Asus Sabertooth P67 CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H60 RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR 3 1600 MHz 8GB GPU: MSI GeForce 970 GTX Gaming 4G Sound: Creative Soundblaster Extreme Gamer SSD: OCZ Agility 3 64GB HDD: 1x 2TB, 1x 1TB, 1x 320 GB Western Digital PSU: Corsair CX 600W Chassi: Thermaltake Aguila

#17 ozgreat

ozgreat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 12 January 2015 - 08:00 AM

Hmmm,

I am following this game and for those that may know me I also play the 'other game'...I am by no means a great golfer, in game or real life...I can no longer play real life due to events beyond my control.

However, when I did play, I had no 3 click meters, no power strength meter on my drive...I played golf as it was meant to be played.

Therefore, the 'other' and this game appeals to me because it simulates real life...if I wanted an arcade game I would buy the many available.

My choice.

My decision, to go with the developers. If I don't like, I don't buy.

Kind regards to all,

oz

It is impossible to imagine Goethe or Beethoven being good at billiards or golf.

H. L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)

#18 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 01:05 PM

I'd prefer that the putter has a fixed length for a full swing rather than you setting the distance and then making a "full swing" all of the time, since that's nothing like putting in real life. To me it feels like it would be too easy if the same kind of swing always puts you within 5 feet of the hole. But that's just my opinion and like in most other cases I have to live with what's given to me...  :lol:

I've never understood why computer golf games don't have a full swing on all clubs, so for a flop shot, for instance, you would have to set the shot up yourself by altering, feet position, grip, ball position, swing speed etc. This would give you a 'true' golf simulator in my opinion.
One of the most rewarding parts of real golf is the short game, but in all golf games that I've played chipping and pitching is just too easy. For instance, in TGC, if you are hitting a pitch shot of 45 yards, you only have to hit a full shot with a lob wedge to finish next to the pin. It's also too easy to hit slightly longer of shorter shots by adjusting the loft of the club.
WWG1WGA

#19 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 12 January 2015 - 01:43 PM

I was told by the dev team, that is the way it will be sooner rather than later. Right now, we have to go with the system that is in place but it will change to what you describe..

We don't set any distances ourselves right now and wont in the future..

Trust me, these dev's want the Real Life experience more than you know... :D

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#20 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 02:01 PM

Just a clarification re the putting distance system, it will only work out how far you might have to swing for a flat putt therefore all the slope and elevation information you have to figure out on your own. It sounds easy but in practice we've found it to be quite challenging. To beat the PGA tour averages you'll have to be pretty good at reading the greens.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Putt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users