50 replies to this topic

#41 remers

remers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 04:49 PM

How is the motion swing/putt coming along generally guys, does it give you decent feel for most shot types?

System Spec
---------------------
Win10 / Core i7 - 4820k 3.7Ghz / 16GB Ram / GeForce GTX780 / Corsair M95 Wired Mouse / Asus PB287Q 28in 4k Monitor

#42 JoeF

JoeF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Ontario, Canada

Posted 13 January 2015 - 05:19 PM

I've been testing with the motion swing and I like it a lot.  At its' most difficult setting I've managed to break 90 once.  Tempo is critical to a good result and "it t'ain't easy".  You really have to groove your swing.  Same goes for the putting stroke.  

There are 2 different "swing aids" with 4 settings each that can be used to set a difficulty level that you find comfortable.  With those set at maximum I managed a round at even par.  Overall I find that "feel" or "touch" is an important aspect of the swing especially on shorter approach shots, chips and greenside bunker shots.

• remers and IanK like this

Intel i5-4570 cpu @ 3.2 GHz, ASUS Z74-K mb, ASUS GeForce GTX 960 gpu, 16 GB ram, 2 x SSD drives, Windows 10 64 bit

Steam name: sound_flier

#43 remers

remers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 05:21 PM

Good stuff JoeF, thanks for the info.

System Spec
---------------------
Win10 / Core i7 - 4820k 3.7Ghz / 16GB Ram / GeForce GTX780 / Corsair M95 Wired Mouse / Asus PB287Q 28in 4k Monitor

#44 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 05:50 PM

Thanks for the replies chaps. I like the sound of the pitching. This should be one of the most rewarding aspects of the game and it sounds like it will be. I'm really looking forward to seeing the motion swing method in action. Is it possible to hit longer than standard shots?
Steam Name: n.bonaparte
WWG1WGA

#45 JoeF

JoeF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 06:56 PM

Thanks for the replies chaps. I like the sound of the pitching. This should be one of the most rewarding aspects of the game and it sounds like it will be. I'm really looking forward to seeing the motion swing method in action. Is it possible to hit longer than standard shots?

I've certainly had drives that went 330+ but it would be dependent upon fairway hardness, wind speed & direction and how well you hit your shot. You have to give it everything and once you get into that overswing area every little swing error is punished more severely - with a distance penalty being one of them.  

• IanK likes this

Intel i5-4570 cpu @ 3.2 GHz, ASUS Z74-K mb, ASUS GeForce GTX 960 gpu, 16 GB ram, 2 x SSD drives, Windows 10 64 bit

#46 Gasman

Gasman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 09:18 PM

I've been testing with the motion swing and I like it a lot. At its' most difficult setting I've managed to break 90 once. Tempo is critical to a good result and "it t'ain't easy". You really have to groove your swing. Same goes for the putting stroke.

There are 2 different "swing aids" with 4 settings each that can be used to set a difficulty level that you find comfortable. With those set at maximum I managed a round at even par. Overall I find that "feel" or "touch" is an important aspect of the swing especially on shorter approach shots, chips and greenside bunker shots.

#47 Gasman

Gasman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 09:24 PM

JoeF

You mention that you have been testing the motion swing in PG,is this with a mouse or game controller?(or both maybe)

#48 JoeF

JoeF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 09:32 PM

JoeF

You mention that you have been testing the motion swing in PG,is this with a mouse or game controller?(or both maybe)

Mouse.  Game controller has yet to be implemented though it is planned.

#49 Gasman

Gasman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 10:03 PM

Mouse. Game controller has yet to be implemented though it is planned.

The last golf game I played with a mouse was TW 2008 a real challenge as I remember so I will look forward to playing PG.
Can you tell me is there any mishit penalty for pausing at the top of your backswing before commencing your downswing.

#50 JoeF

JoeF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 10:36 PM

The last golf game I played with a mouse was TW 2008 a real challenge as I remember so I will look forward to playing PG.
Can you tell me is there any mishit penalty for pausing at the top of your backswing before commencing your downswing.

Yes and no, lol.  The tempo of your backswing to downswing are crucial to getting a straight shot and good distance.  It's based on a ratio of 1:4.  Any pause at the top of the swing is calculated into the backswing speed which then determines what the relative downswing speed should be.  If the downswing is too fast/slow relative to the backswing it mimics the hands being closed/open at contact and the ball will go left/right as a result.  With all the swing aids turned off hitting a perfectly straight shot is just a thin c-hair this side of impossible, just as it is in real golf.

#51 Gasman

Gasman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 11:01 PM

Yes and no, lol. The tempo of your backswing to downswing are crucial to getting a straight shot and good distance. It's based on a ratio of 1:4. Any pause at the top of the swing is calculated into the backswing speed which then determines what the relative downswing speed should be. If the downswing is too fast/slow relative to the backswing it mimics the hands being closed/open at contact and the ball will go left/right as a result. With all the swing aids turned off hitting a perfectly straight shot is just a thin c-hair this side of impossible, just as it is in real golf.

Sounds like a well thought out swing mechanic.....thanks for the replies Joe.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Putt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users