#1 Ninja_Prime

Ninja_Prime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationSuffolk UK

Posted 28 February 2017 - 05:55 PM

This is my next fictional GC, I've only done 15 holes, once I've done 18 I'll put a link to it in OGT for Beta testing:

Please see attached link to my Youtube channel, it's a 20 minute long video, highlighting some of the pins....

https://youtu.be/R0AsRmvVTo8

The_Glade.jpg

• GoldenBear likes this

There is no shame in defeat, there is only shame if you do not learn from it.

Intel i7 870@3.06Ghz, 12GB RAM, W10 Pro 64bit, Nvidia GTX 1060 3Gb

Courses designed:

​The Pines, Bracken Heath, Skye Dunes, The Glade, Brook Vale (WIP).

#2 GoldenBear

GoldenBear

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 28 February 2017 - 07:01 PM

Keep making your courses the way you are now mate.  Do not worry about those who call your greens "crazy golf".  These same players probably use charts and gimmes.  :)

#3 Ninja_Prime

Ninja_Prime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationSuffolk UK

Posted 01 March 2017 - 12:49 PM

I try to make them as challenging as possible. The Glade now is still pretty much in BETA and I have not released it for testing yet. I hope to have it available by the weekend. I will do another YouTube upload also when I do this.

I may take a while longer on this one as I want to incorporate some models from Sketchup and add a clubhouse and some cart sheds etc.

The greens will be challenging, I have been checking the entire tutorial videos that have been released, and I now have a better idea of pin placement and what is considered a difficult, medium and easy pin. However, I will still have my own slant on it and try to make the undulations more natural and.

It’s been discussed where a pin should be placed and that it shouldn’t be on a slant no more than 3% degree. I totally agree with this on a real course, but an a fictional or fantasy course?

Courses designed:

#4 GoldenBear

GoldenBear

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 01 March 2017 - 06:47 PM

I try to make them as challenging as possible. The Glade now is still pretty much in BETA and I have not released it for testing yet. I hope to have it available by the weekend. I will do another YouTube upload also when I do this.

I may take a while longer on this one as I want to incorporate some models from Sketchup and add a clubhouse and some cart sheds etc.

The greens will be challenging, I have been checking the entire tutorial videos that have been released, and I now have a better idea of pin placement and what is considered a difficult, medium and easy pin. However, I will still have my own slant on it and try to make the undulations more natural and.

It’s been discussed where a pin should be placed and that it shouldn’t be on a slant no more than 3% degree. I totally agree with this on a real course, but an a fictional or fantasy course?

The harder the greens, the better!

#5 Ninja_Prime

Ninja_Prime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationSuffolk UK

Posted 02 March 2017 - 07:32 PM

The greens are just one aspect of the course, I hope that the layout and approach are also challenging and different; one thing I certainly like to be, if nothing else is different.

• GoldenBear likes this

Courses designed:

#6 vainte

vainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 10:21 PM

I like hard pins, and play stimp 13/14 most of the time.

Whether the ball can be stopped near the pin is all that matters. If that can only be done by leaving the ball under the hole that's ok too. Augusta has plenty of those...

• GoldenBear likes this

#7 Ninja_Prime

Ninja_Prime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationSuffolk UK

Posted 03 March 2017 - 06:06 PM

If you want to help with the beta testing here is the link:

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

I have created the 18 holes, but please bear in mind that this is still far from finished. I still have the greens to do properly and also get the terrain painted and blended properly.

• GoldenBear likes this

Courses designed:

#8 vainte

vainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 12:22 PM

Bearing In mind you said you have lots to do, played 18 on Stimp 13, medium pins, normal/normal/perfect/calm.

Really enjoyed the elevation changes and terrain flow of the course. Liked the short Par 4's, from front tees or with strong tailwinds lots of potential fun.

The diagonal hazard in front of the 5th green might benefit from some teeth,  I landed in among It and it was just another rough shot. Maybe some boulders, at least on either side of the fairway. Liked the fairway rough areas, cleverly placed. 

The huge greens are interesting - PG's limitation of max 90-100 foot putts (at stimp 13, flat) for RTS/M players will force good course management (known bug on the devs list of things to fix).

The medium pin on 12 is bad, there's a crease that makes side hill attempts from the right veer crazily a few inches from the hole.

Overall love where you're going, great stuff!

#9 Ninja_Prime

Ninja_Prime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationSuffolk UK

Posted 04 March 2017 - 05:11 PM

Bearing In mind you said you have lots to do, played 18 on Stimp 13, medium pins, normal/normal/perfect/calm.

Really enjoyed the elevation changes and terrain flow of the course. Liked the short Par 4's, from front tees or with strong tailwinds lots of potential fun.

The diagonal hazard in front of the 5th green might benefit from some teeth,  I landed in among It and it was just another rough shot. Maybe some boulders, at least on either side of the fairway. Liked the fairway rough areas, cleverly placed. 

The huge greens are interesting - PG's limitation of max 90-100 foot putts (at stimp 13, flat) for RTS/M players will force good course management (known bug on the devs list of things to fix).

The medium pin on 12 is bad, there's a crease that makes side hill attempts from the right veer crazily a few inches from the hole.

Overall love where you're going, great stuff!

Thanks for the comments and your observations. Those obstacles in the fairway help breakup, an otherwise wide fairway, making it harder to land a decent ball. I still need to tweak them, and may even add more. The next build is really coming along, I will check #12 as you suggested along with #5.

Your comment about the long greens is interesting, I may have to shorten them, but this is a fictional course after all, and there is a reason for some of those greens being like that. I hope to make that more apparent once the next build is released. Like I said I still have a lot of tweaking to do. I will definitely take my time with this one. I think the placement of the 18 holes is fine and I will leave it as it is.

I was going to lower some of the greens, but as you seem to have enjoyed the challenge of the elevation, I will leave it as it is. How was the frame rate on your rig? did any section of the course slowdown or stutter?

The terrain has been tweaked extensively in the next build.

I am checking each hole now and actually spending longer with each one. I still have the lateral hazards to do and also more planting. I have started to use Sketchup again, so you may some actual buildings in the next build.

Courses designed:

#10 vainte

vainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 09:43 PM

No stutter or slowdown anywhere, my rig is an i7 4790k paired with a GTX970, 16 gig ram.

I liked the large greens. They add an extra layer of course management strategy and are a unique feature of your course. Plus they're fun:)

Looking forward to the next version.

#11 GoldenBear

GoldenBear

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 March 2017 - 04:36 PM

Course played fine and no fps slowdowns Ninja_Prime.  It as another great course by you.

#12 Ninja_Prime

Ninja_Prime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationSuffolk UK

Posted 05 March 2017 - 07:50 PM

Finally got the image thing to work, so here are some screenshots of my latest course:

This is #18:

20170305183746_1.jpg

#10 with fairway obstructions, the bunkers still need work on, as they are a bit flat:

20170305183907_1.jpg

I think this is the #13 or #16 can't remember:

20170305184014_1.jpg

I still have a lot to work on, as only 50% of the pins are complete, I had to redo the terrain slightly as it was too flat and too many open spaces.

I also have a lot texture painting to do, plus I want to get some of the assets I've been creating in Sketchup exported into Unity properly.

Courses designed:

#13 Ninja_Prime

Ninja_Prime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationSuffolk UK

Posted 07 March 2017 - 08:57 PM

20170307201637_1.jpg

Its another coastal view, sand dunes galore!

I finally get the shelter from Sketchup into Unity:

20170307202033_1.jpg

Sand traps!

20170307201910_1.jpg

The club house with Cart shed:

20170307201301_1.jpg

And the final image for now. I hope to get version 1_1 of The Glade out soon for testing.

20170307200859_1.jpg

• Jimbobh likes this

Courses designed:

#14 Ninja_Prime

Ninja_Prime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationSuffolk UK

Posted 11 March 2017 - 05:54 PM

The next version of "The Glade" is now ready for testing:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!...L5azXym5OxoGZHA

Click on the link if you want to test it.

Your comments and feedback are always greatly appreciated.

Thanking everyone in advance... Enjoy

Courses designed:

#15 Ninja_Prime

Ninja_Prime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationSuffolk UK

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:39 AM

Its been reported to me that the new version lag's after playing 5 to 6 holes. Would adding buildings from Sketchup cause this? I've played the new version and I don't seem to experience any slow down at all. On my rig I get anything between 50-60 FPS....

Courses designed:

#16 3199E5kennetharry

3199E5kennetharry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:51 AM

On a mac with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB no problems & enjoyed the course. didn't have any lag or slow down.

well done Ninja.

Processor: Intel Core i5-7400 Kaby Lake CPU, 4 Cores, 3.0 - 3.5GHz

CPU Cooler: Intel Stock CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus PRIME B250M-A Motherboard

Memory: 16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory (2 x 8GB Sticks)

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card

OS Drive: 250GB SK hynix SL301 Solid State Drive

Storage Drive: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Hard Disk

Power Supply: Aerocool 80 PLUS 600W PSU

Sound Card: Onboard High Definition Audio

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit

#17 Ninja_Prime

Ninja_Prime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationSuffolk UK

Posted 17 March 2017 - 12:51 PM

That's good to know 3199E5kennetharry, I have just completed the final version and just added a few move shelters and also changed the clubhouse, with a much better looking one, it wasn't one of my creations this time :)

Courses designed:

#18 Ninja_Prime

Ninja_Prime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationSuffolk UK

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:42 AM

Hopefully this will be the final version, I'll put the files up for testing on OGT later today, in the meantime here are some of the changes I made;

Teeing off at  #1

20170319210759_1.jpg

The New Club House, I downloaded this from the Sketchup warehouse...

20170319210841_1.jpg

And finally the #18 with the club house in the background;

20170319213026_1.jpg

I also addressed the problem with some of the greens having too much of a lip on them, this was because I hadn't added a spline to smooth the transition from green to rough. I also raised some portions of the fairway on some of the approach shot's to some of the holes, as they ran off into the rough after landing on the fairway, which I felt was a bit unfair.

I also changed the #8 green, as there was too much of a run off slope on one of the medium pins, making it virtually impossible to putt the ball.

Hopefully this course won't have too many FPS issues as some grass and trees have been either removed or less planting was carried out. I had to remove all the trees and grass and start again.

Courses designed:

#19 Ninja_Prime

Ninja_Prime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationSuffolk UK

Posted 22 March 2017 - 06:13 AM

I am hoping that this course is released; I do not think there is much else I can do with it anymore. I've already started work on another one, this time it's more of a fantasy course, so there are going to be some crazy golf greens to contend with..

• GoldenBear likes this

Courses designed:

#20 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 22 March 2017 - 02:34 PM

Love the clubhouse, looks good.

Intel Core i5-6600 CPU 3.3 GHz       Geforce GTX 1060        16GB  RAM       Windows 10 64 bit

Hazyview  (600m above sea level)    --   Nautilus Bay  (Revamp done)  --  Cape Fear  (TGC  adaptation)  --  Aloe Ridge  --  Nahoon Reef GC  --  Chambers Bay 

Abel's Crossing  --  Solitude Links GC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users