• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#21 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 06:58 PM

Programming for android prolly wouldn't be too hard, but you need a $100 dev account for IOS. Plus getting all the graphics together.
Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

#22 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 10 March 2017 - 07:11 PM

Programming for android prolly wouldn't be too hard, but you need a $100 dev account for IOS. Plus getting all the graphics together.

Yea, not doubt that it would take some time.  The real trick would be to see if you could build it in such a way that it automagically generates the distance markers on the fly so that the developer wouldn't have to customize the map for each course.  Seems to me this logic would be better suited as part of CourseForge.

Steam Name: Turnerm05

Swing Type: RTSC | Tour Pro | XB1 Wireless

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

GTX 1080 Founders Edition

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#23 mikahenrik

mikahenrik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 05:37 PM

First version is up for testers over at the OGT. and finished a simple version of the birdie book. http://anyflip.com/scbt/htxi/

#24 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 05:41 PM

First version is up for testers over at the OGT. and finished a simple version of the birdie book. http://anyflip.com/scbt/htxi/

Is there a way to get a PDF copy of the birdie book?

Tried Printing to PDF option, but I couldn't seem to get the scaling right.

Looks amazing btw!  (Course and the Birdie Book)

#25 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 05:51 PM

Great work Mika. That book is wonderful and the any flip works great on my phone. Such creativity!

#26 Drrobmiller

Drrobmiller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • LocationLong island

Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:19 PM

wow...looks fabulous

Rob

#27 Drgnslyr221

Drgnslyr221

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • LocationLakewood, CO

Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:34 PM

Beautiful course and really has that realistic look to it. Didn't notice anything worth reporting while playing.

#28 Armand

Armand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 15 March 2017 - 01:14 AM

Is there a way to get a PDF copy of the birdie book?

Tried Printing to PDF option, but I couldn't seem to get the scaling right.

Looks amazing btw!  (Course and the Birdie Book)

If you want it in PDF, Buck, try changing your print page size from "Letter" to "A4"; seemed to work when I tested it. 

I think the Anyflip book presentation is excellent, despite the difficulty I have in seeing/reading the hole information and course name.  Could simply be my eyes, too, since I'm not as young as I was yesterday ....

#29 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 01:25 AM

If you want it in PDF, Buck, try changing your print page size from "Letter" to "A4"; seemed to work when I tested it. 

Thank you Armand - That did seem to work - Excellent 

#30 mikahenrik

mikahenrik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 06:02 PM

I think the Anyflip book presentation is excellent, despite the difficulty I have in seeing/reading the hole information and course name.  Could simply be my eyes, too, since I'm not as young as I was yesterday ....

I was thinking about making a more polished version so can increase the info font size as well.

#31 mikahenrik

mikahenrik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 09:59 PM

Hi all,

I have received some comments about the greens being overly undulating, not holding etc. so went back to the course and had good look around. I did find the greens just find when approached from right angles with right kind of shots. Can you always attack the pin? Maybe not. Can you always fly the ball to the green and hold? Definitely no. Some greens are sloping backwards and may require bump and run to get on the green and some pins are tucked behind bunkers or slopes you may better play away from the flag and let the slopes bring it back closer. Below some of the pictures of the more undulating greens and for the comparison the lat picture is from a course built in England the same year this imaginary course was built. If anything the greens at Great River seems quite bland ;)

Ironically that green in England was deemed unfair and soon after rebuilt. What's your take on this matter? Should old courses adapt to modern game? Or should we adapt our game the old school courses? Do you enjoy wildly undulating surfaces and accept some variables may be out of your control? Or do you enjoy courses where good "ball striking guarantees good results?

Cheers Mika

Green 14

W5NWojD.jpg

Green 16

ZFkRBL2.jpg

Green 6

euHlDHB.jpg

Green 9

Z5PVr8X.jpg

Green 1

ch8ejE5.jpg

gc26OdC.jpg

#32 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 10:02 PM

Beautiful course work

I did sadly decide that it's just a bit too daunting of a design for my normal range of enjoyment, so I did remove it, but sensational work on the look/graphics/planting, etc.

#33 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 16 March 2017 - 10:06 PM

I don't mind undulating greens at all, as long as the pins have been planted with a bit of thought and not halfway down steep slopes. They add to the challenge of playing the course and make you think about your approaches and also where you're leaving your tee shots.

Not every course will be playable at 14 stimp, but that shouldn't mean a designer has to go back and bulldozer the greens and soften the undulations just so folks can easily get well under par.

#34 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 10:09 PM

Not every course will be playable at 14 stimp, but that shouldn't mean a designer has to go back and bulldozer the greens and soften the undulations just so folks can easily get well under par.

Oh I completely agree..

I hope you didn't think I was suggesting any changes.

I just wanted to show appreciation for the great work, and simply slipped in that it's just too much for me ultimately.

I'm positive that many people love courses like this!

All good - Different strokes for different folks!

#35 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 16 March 2017 - 10:16 PM

Oh I completely agree..

I hope you didn't think I was suggesting any changes.

I just wanted to show appreciation for the great work, and simply slipped in that it's just too much for me ultimately.

I'm positive that many people love courses like this!

All good - Different strokes for different folks!

B,

Not at all bud. I was in the middle of typing my post when you added yours, so hadn't actually seen your post until I actually submitted mine. My comments were more a generalisation about undulating greens and pin placements.

Mika mentioned some folks had suggested he revisit them, so I just waned to add my thoughts about heavily sloped greens. It is definitely the type of course you will love or loathe. No harm in folks trying it and not liking it. There is no law that we must like all the courses available, lol.

#36 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 16 March 2017 - 10:17 PM

I think your course plays as it should. An old school 

setup of soft/bumpy fairways and greens at a lower stimp under

breezy/gusty conditions was extremely fun to me.

You have captured the early essence of how golf was played

and my vote is to keep it as is. Great Job.

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#37 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 10:21 PM

I think the majority of modern golfers are spoiled, in the PC world and in real life. Not saying to incite forum rioting. Just an observation.

The USGA buzzsaws trees in the line of play and opens things for the "bomb and gouge" style of play. Which is not golf to me.

If Augusta had another name and was not as well manicured, most wouldn't give it a second look nowadays. I watched Brandon Grace 5 putt hole 6 at Augusta this past year because of a shot off by 6 inches.

I enjoy your course and believe an approach to a course is learned over time not one or two rounds. And as you note, can be significantly altered simply based on a pin position.

I say keep doing what you do.

#38 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 10:24 PM

The USGA buzzsaws trees in the line of play and opens things for the "bomb and gouge" style of play. Which is not golf to me.

The problem is that the popularity of the sport is dying...

I think they are simply trying to appeal to a wider audience in changing times and expectations for entertainment.

I'm not saying I love it or anything, just that the realities of the world shift over time and changes sometimes are needed to maintain (and hopefully grow) relevance and audience.

#39 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 10:43 PM

Agreed. I've argued golf as we really understand it (played on a course of typically 18 holes) goes away. It's an expense of time and money that, at least in the US, is not an interest of the next generation (the millennial).

Top Golf and others like it offer social atmosphere, food and drink and a chance for a video game type interaction with a golf club. It also has easier time constraints and is more appealing to women. Simulator golf offers similar flexibility.

I belong to a club and own a simulator. Often, I'd just prefer the simulator. Just the reality of limited time. No less fun for me actually at this point in my life.

#40 mikahenrik

mikahenrik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 06:25 PM

I don't mind undulating greens at all, as long as the pins have been planted with a bit of thought and not halfway down steep slopes. They add to the challenge of playing the course and make you think about your approaches and also where you're leaving your tee shots.

Totally agree with Dazmaniac here. Would also add that steep slope, being relative term in this case, is very different on a for example soft green stimping 8 than hard green stimping 14. More of a feature request but would like to have an option for designers to attach max stimp readings on individual pins so they would not appear at all when greens are set over certain speed. Of course we can use the easy, med, difficult to a certain extent but I prefer the more balanced/mixed approach so to be able to do that on individual pins would be nice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users