#1 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:30 AM

First attempt at a links style course and believe me it's much harder than you think.  Never set foot on a real links course but I think it plays okay with a little wind and hard/hard settings.  

Framerate is good but the grass is a bit taxing on the CPU but I didn't want to take too many away as one can just lower the grass draw distance if it's a problem.

Still to do some minor tweaks, stroke indexing, etc.

vihjU1P.jpg

145JCm7.jpg

UwtC35H.jpg

T6hqLHP.jpg

dNNAm7D.jpg

Cw4EOLA.jpg

znxVW9G.jpg

T0MPQkw.jpg

• luetze, KenR, mikahenrik and 5 others like this

Intel Core i5-6600 CPU 3.3 GHz       Geforce GTX 1060        16GB  RAM       Windows 10 64 bit

Hazyview  (600m above sea level)    --   Nautilus Bay  (Revamp done)  --  Cape Fear  (TGC  adaptation)  --  Aloe Ridge  --  Nahoon Reef GC  --  Chambers Bay 

Abel's Crossing  --  Solitude Links GC

#2 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:34 AM

Sweet looking course, great job! 

Like the horizon, gives it atmosphere.

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#3 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 11:14 AM

You know when you see a course and immediately know who the designer is just from the pictures. Trademark Highfade runoff areas abound.

Looking forward to playing this one.

#4 Ninja_Prime

Ninja_Prime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationSuffolk UK

Posted 15 March 2017 - 12:45 PM

Great looking course.

There is no shame in defeat, there is only shame if you do not learn from it.

Intel i7 870@3.06Ghz, 12GB RAM, W10 Pro 64bit, Nvidia GTX 1060 3Gb

Courses designed:

​The Pines, Bracken Heath, Skye Dunes, The Glade, Brook Vale (WIP).

#5 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 15 March 2017 - 01:58 PM

Looking like Nautilus Bay's big brother.

Can't wait.

#6 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 15 March 2017 - 04:28 PM

Great looking course Highfade. Can't wait to give it a go. I played Cape Fear again the other night because I hadn't played it in a while - forgot how good it was. Looking forward to this one.

Steam Name: Turnerm05

Swing Type: RTSC | Tour Pro | XB1 Wireless

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

GTX 1080 Founders Edition

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#7 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 15 March 2017 - 04:43 PM

Thanks all, I'm pretty fed up with this, took way longer than i thought it would but I'm almost there.

Intel Core i5-6600 CPU 3.3 GHz       Geforce GTX 1060        16GB  RAM       Windows 10 64 bit

Hazyview  (600m above sea level)    --   Nautilus Bay  (Revamp done)  --  Cape Fear  (TGC  adaptation)  --  Aloe Ridge  --  Nahoon Reef GC  --  Chambers Bay 

#8 pingzing

pingzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • LocationQld Australia

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:45 PM

Take a Picture, make a poster, nice textures and blending, looks like plenty of time taken to get the textures right and make sure they all blend in for that natural look.

Days or weeks can be spent just working on textures to get them right and lots of pictures looking for ideas.  Fed up is a great word after spending countless hours , chopping/changing, remove,delete, save as, rinse and repeat, play and test , takes a certain person to put up with all that.

Good stuff and thank you

• Mike Jones, LeazesNDR and highfade like this

#9 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:30 PM

Looks great highfade.  Your courses are among my favorites.  The layouts are fun and the visuals are excellent as well.    

• highfade likes this

#10 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:16 AM

Take a Picture, make a poster, nice textures and blending, looks like plenty of time taken to get the textures right and make sure they all blend in for that natural look.

Days or weeks can be spent just working on textures to get them right and lots of pictures looking for ideas.  Fed up is a great word after spending countless hours , chopping/changing, remove,delete, save as, rinse and repeat, play and test , takes a certain person to put up with all that.

Good stuff and thank you

:)  I hear you Zing.

Always notice and appreciate the time and effort you put into your courses.

All I know is I wouldn't last long as a real world course architect with my absolutely no respect for the budget.  Don't know how many times some of these greens where totally remodeled, but I guess that's the beauty of operating in a virtual world. ;)

• RobC likes this

#11 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:09 AM

Link to beta file:

https://mega.nz/#!H0...xXHlUAsjbKK2_tk

Curious as to how the grass effects performance. If it's too bad you can lower the grass draw distance.

#12 pingzing

pingzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • LocationQld Australia

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:07 AM

Link to beta file:

https://mega.nz/#!H0...xXHlUAsjbKK2_tk

Curious as to how the grass effects performance. If it's too bad you can lower the grass draw distance.

Sweet, will report back  this week, and thank you very much highfade

#13 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts
  • LocationCouncil Bluffs, Ia

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:10 AM

worked great with my GTX960m without having to make any graphics changes.

the greens are sweet.

nice work .

CUK Mantis Gamer PC (Liquid Cooled Intel Core i9,10 Core                            MSI GF75 Thin 17" Laptop

32GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD + 2TB HDD                                                          I5 8GB Ram GTX1650 

NVIDIA RTX 2070 8GB OC, 600W PSU, AC WiFi, Windows 11                           144 Hz Windows 11

VIOTEK 35" CURVED  144HZ-200HZ OC MONITOR

Seagate 4TB External Hard Drive

Klipsch Sound System

BENCHMARKS-https://www.userbenc...serRun/38611652  

#14 xooze

xooze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationSE Minnesota

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:44 PM

no problems with a GTX 1060, grass set at 300 for 18 holes. Set grass to 600 played 9 holes still no problems.

#15 Justin9926

Justin9926

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:09 PM

Just played through the front nine. Course looks great as usual. I really like the bushes. Did you make them in the speedtree modeler? Anyhow, the frame rate was excellent. Don't believe I ever drop below 60 with the VSync set to every frame. I was using the default ultrahigh settings using a Intel I7 with a GTX 970M card. I'll try to use the F5 later  to fly around and see if I notice anything.

Justin

Asus ROG G751JT-CH71 Gaming Laptop

2.5 GHz Intel Core i7– 4710HQ

Nvidia GTX 970M 3GB GDDR5

16 GB DDR3

Windows 10 64-bit

#16 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:17 AM

Thanks for the comments so far.

Justin, those bushes are all tree creator bushes from the generous Mr K11, I did  mess with the settings (spread and scale) and swap out some of the leaf materials.

I realize most people prefer real course creations but I sure hope fictional designers are not a dying breed.  I have a huge back log on my playlist with some interesting courses coming out, mikahenrik, IanK, PingZing, etc. as well as a bunch of real courses. ;)

#17 pingzing

pingzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • LocationQld Australia

Posted 22 March 2017 - 11:41 AM

Hi Mate

Couldn`t find course at OGT, so will reply here...

This course is so clean it took me to the 7th hole to find something, you must have washed this many times, it`s spotless so high praise buddy.

Seagulls are a nice surprise on approach to greens.

Love the textures and especially the greens and sandy stuff.

Those canal water hazards are very neat and tidy, it looks like you created them using the pot bunkers and

changed the side wall texture, am i right in saying this ?.They look great , i think St Andrews canals were made using this method too.

Nice beaches!! and i like the variation on the back nine with the mountains!! 

18th hole is a super finishing hole, tight up there at landing area and then a  (  shaped shot ) required to land on green.

Below are some irregularities i found...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByTR6w_prq1MWG8xSzdiLWplU0k

Tee areas on some holes seem to sit down below the terrain  and others don`t.

Sandy areas on the mounds might need smoothing!, to me it`s showing some irregular weird shapes.

Great Course Highfade!!

#18 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 22 March 2017 - 12:00 PM

Thanks mate, appreciate the feedback.

• Those weird shadows in the sand is the result of using the cut-out option and I don't know how to fix it? It looks like a transparent wrapper giving off a shadow, maybe I need to mess in the LL.
  • I wanted to have a slight edge to the tees but it might be a bit too much.
  • Another one I don't know how to fix is the sand/bunker properties on the edge/blend just outside the canal. I've even checked on St Andrews and it's the same, if you place the ball right on the edge it plays as sand. I remember Mike said quite a while ago it is a known issue?
  • Will fix the under the bunker peeking. 

Thanks again.

#19 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 01:21 PM

I know you know most of this Highfade but stating for others.

Each mesh carries a collider and physical property. Because of this, the blend which allows a nice appearing transition, is still an entity of that mesh and therefore carries the same property.

The first blend in the Layers Library pushes the mesh creation of said layer outward from your spline points between 0-1m depending on your value entered. If you wanted to maintain a tighter control of physics, you would have to remove or reduce the blend at the expense of esthetics.

If you want to visualize what property will be assigned where, it is best viewed by turning on Debug mode and selecting the area in question. This will highlight the extents of the mesh for that area and then you will know the physics from the Inspector.

I have changed my Unity setting for Selected Wireframe to fluorescent green and the main wireframe to white. This way selected meshes in Debug mode stand out.

This is altered in Unity under Edit>Preferences>Colors.

Your one option may be as a final step after calculating all splines and enter Debug mode and hand select and change all waterpotties to rough physics. If you ever regenerate splines, you'll have to go back and change each. (Be warned - this is PP unapproved territory and you may void your warranty)

#20 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 22 March 2017 - 02:38 PM

Aah, good advice, will give it a try.

Any idea how to get rid of the cut-out areas weird shadows?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users