111 replies to this topic

#81 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 06:39 PM

First 3D object I ever created probably took a day to correctly build and texture. Now, I can build something significantly more complicated in under 5 minutes.

Patience is obviously key. I also think we should realize that something well done nowadays is a bit more of a production.

Read about development of any game company or indie games and you will see that they rely on multiple third party assets to get the job done at a high level. You can't expect PP to have to reinvent the wheel if a good asset/ program exists.

Cart paths, animated birds, trees (unfortunately), 3D objects are all peripherals. I imagine that they would struggle to get where they are if they had to worry about perfecting every step in the process.

Now, if Easy Roads moves to pay only to get the job done, it's a little more frustrating that they don't have a better tool.

I actually would like them to allow scripting to enable us to have greater freedom with third party stuff. In my ideal world, I'm using RTP v3 for the terrain painting or Megasplat for 5.5 and Aquas for water reflections. But, I'm spoiled and don't mind wasting money on my hobbies.

#82 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 27 April 2017 - 06:55 PM

Hi Matt. It's just that coming from a course designer/game that had all that in it already (not 3rd party) I had been spoiled since 05, so you can understand my frustration. However, you make gr8 points.

Thank ya.

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#83 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 07:26 PM

Gotcha. Guessing it's a less than 5 percent change that they could improve upon Easy Roads. Simplify user interface, eliminate need to delete asset from the project at the end and that's about it.

With Mike endorsing it by providing the tutorial, I'll read between the lines that it's good enough as is and not worth their development time. Same with the birds.

#84 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 28 April 2017 - 11:01 PM

Welp, I got 5 holes of paths laid down with EZ Roads and I must say, it's working out pretty damn good. Still it's a hassle but I'm quite pleased with the results so far.. :)

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#85 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 28 April 2017 - 11:19 PM

@ Ian. I really am beginning to like this easy roads. Of course I would rather have something more user friendly but once you set the main parameters at the start. You don't have to do that anymore and you really only have to do a couple of things over and over but man, the results sure beat anything we can do by hand..

So jump in, own it and I think you will like it! :)

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#86 yesrushdt

yesrushdt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 12:49 PM

The one thing I hate about easy roads is that the cart path has to be placed a bit above ground  which doesn't look too good up close.  It would be nice if it would be a thicker object (instead of a flat one) that is partially placed below the ground, however it doesn't seem like it's possible with it.  Hopefully this won't matter much in the future once turf effects is implemented as it will probably do a good job of covering up the edges of the levitating cart parth.

#87 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 29 April 2017 - 01:56 PM

The one thing I hate about easy roads is that the cart path has to be placed a bit above ground  which doesn't look too good up close.  It would be nice if it would be a thicker object (instead of a flat one) that is partially placed below the ground, however it doesn't seem like it's possible with it.  Hopefully this won't matter much in the future once turf effects is implemented as it will probably do a good job of covering up the edges of the levitating cart parth.

Yep but you can lower it to .09 or even .06, I'm currently using .09. I've not heard of a way to make it thicker? That would make it look better.

Gr8 point about the grass, that will definitely hide those issues.

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#88 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 02:02 PM

Hmm...I have an idea on that. Will have to play a bit. Not sure it'll really look better or that'll you'll like the extra steps Larry!

#89 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 29 April 2017 - 02:10 PM

Hmm...I have an idea on that. Will have to play a bit. Not sure it'll really look better or that'll you'll like the extra steps Larry!

Matt, Oh yeah! I will suspend operations for now. Oh Matt, what's an extra step or 2 if it means a much better look? After all golf is all about the details.. ;)

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#90 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 03:12 PM

Show some images where possible guys...

#91 QBL_MrCobra

QBL_MrCobra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 08:10 PM

Gotcha. Guessing it's a less than 5 percent change that they could improve upon Easy Roads. Simplify user interface, eliminate need to delete asset from the project at the end and that's about it.

With Mike endorsing it by providing the tutorial, I'll read between the lines that it's good enough as is and not worth their development time. Same with the birds.

Hi DPRoberts,

I use the paid version in my first two courses and I never deleted the easy Road folder and didn't have any problem to compile my courses.

I like it a lot. the only thing I don't like, it's you can't joined the end of a path to the start of a new one and you can't cross over a path because it doesn't blend.

MrCobra

#92 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 09:21 PM

MrCobra, good to know. I have only tried doing it the way Mike has described with the free asset. I have debated trying the paid for asset to place bulkheads but need to spend a bit of time watching the videos. It may not prove to be more efficient over my Blender method anyhow.

Here is some experimentation getting a more "3D" path. I am showing 3 examples. Each increases in Tri count. Honestly, I'm not sure the extra effort is really needed for this. Once you get my steps down, it will be about 5 minutes work for each path you create. Basically, exporting Easy Road spline, extruding faces in Blender, remapping texture, re-import and set up Collider, turn off shadows, set material, etc. I really like what RobC is doing by just blending with the texture. But, if you desire some chunkiness to your path, I can certainly show you how to do it. Let me know if you really want to head down this....stupid pun...

90 degree ledged path
Ee96cmk.jpg

Slightly beveled path
fnPMlOA.jpg

Rounded edge path
N2upxMl.jpg
  • IanD and Justin9926 like this

#93 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 29 April 2017 - 09:34 PM

Pretty cool especially the last pic but I think like yesrusdt mentioned, when we get 3d grass it will not even be noticeable.

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#94 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 29 April 2017 - 09:48 PM

Can the Easy Road paths be assigned as free drop areas?

#95 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 10:03 PM

Can the Easy Road paths be assigned as free drop areas?

No, but they do play like fairway.

Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

#96 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 29 April 2017 - 10:11 PM

Hi DPRoberts,

I use the paid version in my first two courses and I never deleted the easy Road folder and didn't have any problem to compile my courses.

I like it a lot. the only thing I don't like, it's you can't joined the end of a path to the start of a new one and you can't cross over a path because it doesn't blend.

MrCobra

Actually you can. I don't have ER open at the moment, but I think by right clicking on the

last section planted you will get arrows allowing stretching and side to side movement

which will allow some aligning with previous path. I accidentally clicked on an end one

day and Justin happened to notice this feature. Maybe he will explain further if he sees this.

We were screen sharing at the time using the Free version.

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#97 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 29 April 2017 - 10:27 PM

Actually before you drop the path you can clik on any of the control points for the path and move them left, right.

What I don't like are the white sides, they hinder my vision and make it hard to see the path on the heightmap.

picture001.jpg

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#98 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 30 April 2017 - 09:14 AM

The white sides help with knowing where the

terrain is flattened on either side of the path,

and can be adjusted.

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#99 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 30 April 2017 - 02:14 PM

The white sides help with knowing where the

terrain is flattened on either side of the path,

and can be adjusted.

Welp, if you know how to Set it in the Parameters, I only know how to do it between points? Sure would be nice if you shared.

Actually, I think they are fine as they are.

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#100 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 04:55 PM

I still don't think the three examples of Easy Roads above look as convincing as just drawing the pathway using CF. In my opinion all that's needed to make the process easier is to have the ability to draw one spline and have CF draw a parallel line of the required distance from hand drawn one.
  • DPRoberts likes this
Steam Name: n.bonaparte
WWG1WGA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users