41 replies to this topic

#1 jt83

jt83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 02:14 PM

I was laying some tees and pins and decided I wasn't really happy with the placement...I closed Unity and hit 'Don't Save' in order to start fresh.  I reloaded Unity, and all the tees and pins were still there.  So, I either saved the scene and can't remember or there's something else going on.   I could have sworn I didn't save.  Just one of those things?

#2 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 03:23 PM

Unity auto-saves your scene, including all CF actions. Once performed, the project is updated. That's what's going on: Quitting does not undo the actions made after the last save.

You have to manually delete the planted tees and pins. Or, probably more efficient since they are already planted, click and drag them to places you find more suitable. 

You should still save and backup your project nevertheless. One never knows.

• jt83 likes this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#3 clubcaptain

clubcaptain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 04:27 PM

Unity auto-saves your scene, including all CF actions. Once performed, the project is updated. That's what's going on: Quitting does not undo the actions made after the last save.

You have to manually delete the planted tees and pins. Or, probably more efficient since they are already planted, click and drag them to places you find more suitable. 

You should still save and backup your project nevertheless. One never knows.

I was about to ask the same question. It's a much worse situation if you've made significant changes to textures and splines. Then it's a real bummer to undo. Isn't there a way to turn off the auto save.

Why on earth you should be given a choice not to save then have that choice overridden is ridiculous.

• jt83 likes this

PC specs...

Intel core I7 9700k 3.6 GHZ-Turbo 4.9 GHZ
64 GB Corsair vengeance  LPX DDR4 2400 MHZ
Asus PRIME Z390-P 
Nvidea GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
X box 360 wired controller
Windows 10 PRO NA 64 bit

#4 RobC

RobC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
  • LocationSouthampton England

Posted 13 June 2017 - 04:59 PM

Thats the wonderful Unity engine....Maybe there is something on their website

#5 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 05:09 PM

You can conserve the terrain and its status in the PP top menu. I believe it's called "Back up terrain" or so. 

Or you can save your scene under a new name to save its progress up to a certain point - and then be able to fall back on it at a later stage. 

You can also save your existing layers library with its settings, then save a new one with your changes under a different name - in case you want to revert to the old one. Whenever you alter a setting in the Layers Library, oh, you're going to laugh about that, you absolutely MUST save it - because your changes would be lost the next time you open your project if you don't. That's the only instance where quitting actually helps travelling back in time.

I think there is no way to opt out of the auto-save.

Your annoyance and impatience at Unity and its quirks is nothing compared to the endless stream of foul invectives I hurled at all of them, their grandmothers and their hamsters during the years. I defy any CF designer to not curse these godforsaken, inhuman cretins at least once. Consider this a rite of passage. Stay calm and move on.

• RobC, worrybirdie and NoPutt like this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#6 worrybirdie

worrybirdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  • LocationPismo Beach, California

Posted 13 June 2017 - 05:47 PM

Amen K11! And I save my scene and terrain under new names obsessively now. God knows how many MBs of backups I have (and I'm only on the third hole! :o ).

#7 clubcaptain

clubcaptain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 06:46 PM

Whenever you alter a setting in the Layers Library, oh, you're going to laugh about that, you absolutely MUST save it - because your changes would be lost the next time you open your project if you don't.

I always used to do that but strange to say but for the last few weeks I haven't had to save the library when,say, changing a texture for a shape. Then yesterday I changed a texture and it wasn't saving the new one BUT the option to save the library was greyed out and not available so it stung me two ways. In addition I could select the draw shape tool on the left but existing shapes had no control points so couldn't be edited.

PC specs...

Asus PRIME Z390-P 
Windows 10 PRO NA 64 bit

#8 clubcaptain

clubcaptain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 06:49 PM

Amen K11! And I save my scene and terrain under new names obsessively now. God knows how many MBs of backups I have (and I'm only on the third hole! :o ).

I save under a new name for a significant change e.g adding a waterfall or other third party gizmo and often (not always) find that the previous saved file has the updated info also so no fallback available there.

PC specs...

Asus PRIME Z390-P 
Windows 10 PRO NA 64 bit

#9 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 08:39 PM

I was laying some tees and pins and decided I wasn't really happy with the placement...I closed Unity and hit 'Don't Save' in order to start fresh.  I reloaded Unity, and all the tees and pins were still there.  So, I either saved the scene and can't remember or there's something else going on.   I could have sworn I didn't save.  Just one of those things?

Just open the scene again from the menu and it will remove the things you 'added' unless you manually saved the scene of course. 

#10 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 08:43 PM

Whenever you alter a setting in the Layers Library, oh, you're going to laugh about that, you absolutely MUST save it - because your changes would be lost the next time you open your project if you don't.

I always used to do that but strange to say but for the last few weeks I haven't had to save the library when,say, changing a texture for a shape. Then yesterday I changed a texture and it wasn't saving the new one BUT the option to save the library was greyed out and not available so it stung me two ways. In addition I could select the draw shape tool on the left but existing shapes had no control points so couldn't be edited.

The layers library autosaves but you can back it up at any time if you ever want to roll back to a previous version.

What your describing to me in the example above is that your scene loaded up with the default library which cannot be overwritten.

#11 clubcaptain

clubcaptain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 11:53 PM

Why can't it be overwritten ?

And can you comment on why it's not possible to NOT save when exiting.

PC specs...

Asus PRIME Z390-P 
Windows 10 PRO NA 64 bit

#12 jt83

jt83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 12:43 AM

Your annoyance and impatience at Unity and its quirks is nothing compared to the endless stream of foul invectives I hurled at all of them, their grandmothers and their hamsters during the years. I defy any CF designer to not curse these godforsaken, inhuman cretins at least once. Consider this a rite of passage. Stay calm and move on.

It came to a bit of a head for me last night.  I clicked on a ruler spline, hit delete, nothing happened, so in a moment of strange panic I started hitting undo to get back to a point where I was happy/knew I hadn't deleted anything important, got tired of the whole mess and quit assuming I'd be able to close, not save, and start from a position of calm - only to find everything was still there.  Saving terrain is a tip that's been drilled into us, but I thought everything else was just like words in a text document - if you didn't save, they won't be there.  Now I learn it's like modern Word, always saving in case of a crash or something.  As clubcaptain said, it's a bit silly, and I went into a rage at not understanding this program.

OCD is a terrible condition to have when dealing with Unity.

Just open the scene again from the menu and it will remove the things you 'added' unless you manually saved the scene of course. 

Thanks Mike I'll try that soon.

#13 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 14 June 2017 - 05:11 AM

I've had my bouts with Unity but I've rarely had anything nearly as bad as my worst moments with the APCD. On multiple occasions I quit using it completely for months and years at a time.

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#14 worrybirdie

worrybirdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  • LocationPismo Beach, California

Posted 14 June 2017 - 06:06 AM

Sorry to hear about your experience with APCD (sounds like a disease). Often thought about trying Links years ago, but I didn't think it had a course designer. Sounds like I was lucky. Still...Unity is as contentious a course designer as I have ever dealt with. Nice to know its not the worst I could have encountered.

#15 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 14 June 2017 - 06:28 AM

Somehow I managed to release eight courses on that platform. For all the frustration, it really was the greatest thing once I finally felt like I had handled it with some competence. But that learning curve....

I'm already at 12 courses in 14 months on this medium. I wouldn't dream of going back. Sure, there are limitations, but anything in the virtual world is always going to have some limitations. And of course we know improvements will come along from time to time as long as there people actively working on it.

• worrybirdie likes this

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#16 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 10:48 AM

Why can't it be overwritten ?

And can you comment on why it's not possible to NOT save when exiting.

You can't overwrite the default as if you screwed it up with some strange settings what would you do then? You can simply make your required changes and then 'save as' and save it under a different name. 

You'll have to ask Unity themselves why they autosave the terrain features. I have never had an issue with that and mostly it's a good thing. I tend to make manual backups often as I do when using ALL software. We have made making backups very easy for you with the backup terrain function in CF enabling you to simply roll back if you did something you didn't like. BTW Ctrl-Z works to undo all terrain functions too.

#17 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 10:58 AM

Sorry to hear about your experience with APCD (sounds like a disease). Often thought about trying Links years ago, but I didn't think it had a course designer. Sounds like I was lucky. Still...Unity is as contentious a course designer as I have ever dealt with. Nice to know its not the worst I could have encountered.

From some of your posts I think you would have problems using an ech a sketch  :lol:

• Richard likes this

#18 clubcaptain

clubcaptain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 02:11 PM

You can't overwrite the default as if you screwed it up with some strange settings what would you do then? You can simply make your required changes and then 'save as' and save it under a different name. 

You'll have to ask Unity themselves why they autosave the terrain features. I have never had an issue with that and mostly it's a good thing. I tend to make manual backups often as I do when using ALL software. We have made making backups very easy for you with the backup terrain function in CF enabling you to simply roll back if you did something you didn't like. BTW Ctrl-Z works to undo all terrain functions too.

My bad. I should have said that the "save as" option was greyed out as was the "load" option.There is no straight "save" in the library.

PC specs...

Asus PRIME Z390-P 
Windows 10 PRO NA 64 bit

#19 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 03:27 PM

From some of your posts I think you would have problems using an ech a sketch  :lol:

Is this supposed to be funny?
This seems a little low class from a developer towards one of his customers and fans, no?

#20 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 14 June 2017 - 03:54 PM

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA