41 replies to this topic

#21 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 04:36 PM

Is this supposed to be funny?
This seems a little low class from a developer towards one of his customers and fans, no?

Gave me a chuckle :lol:  I guess it's OK for the same people to take PP to task and call CF the most unfriendly course design software ever but it's not OK for us Dev's to join in the banter and fire a few friendly shots back? I guess in your world Devs are only allowed to post when they say the things that are on your 'allowed list' of politically correct statements.

Buck you say you want community interaction but really you do not, you just want the latest little drama to try and stir the pot. If you want corporate mentality, go to any AAA game forum and see how much dev interaction you get there. If you want more posts you have to be willing to take the rough with the smooth.

• Richard, Crow357, RobC and 1 other like this

#22 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 04:38 PM

Gave me a chuckle :lol:  I guess it's OK for the same people to take PP to task and call CF the most unfriendly course design software ever but it's not OK for us Dev's to join in the banter and fire a few friendly shots back? 

Mike - You took a personal shot at a user - That's friendly?

I just think a developer and company ownership representative looks bad doing it, don't you?

Political correctness has nothing to with any of this topic

• clubcaptain likes this

#23 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 04:41 PM

Mike - You took a personal shot at a user.

I just think a developer and company ownership representative looks bad doing it, don't you?

Political correctness has nothing to with any of this topic

If mr Worrybirdie has an issue and is upset I will apologise but it's not for you to be the forum PC police I think.

#24 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 04:43 PM

If mr Worrybirdie has an issue and is upset I will apologise but it's not for you to be the forum PC police I think.

In terms of policing...

It's up to every forum user to police themselves and not make things personal.

You should know this - This is your forum for goodness sake!

#25 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 04:49 PM

Whoa there, everybody take a step back now!

Mike, worrybirdie did not call CF the most unfriendly course design software ever - he wrote something in this vein about Unity. Which is so utterly wrong and lacking the most basic understanding of the most basic facts that I had to restrain myself from pointing this out gleefully and in no uncertain term by referring to the topic title featuring the word 'sanity'. I chose to let that slide, being tired of having to be "that guy" yet again.

And your etch-a-sketch quip was a bit harsh, true. Out of character, I thought, same as your fledgling flame dialogue with Buck.

And Buck: Really? Again? 

Cool it, all of you! Go do something positive in the real world, please.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#26 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 04:49 PM

Thinking more deeply about this, designing a course on an etch a sketch would actually be quite difficult. Square greens anyone?

#27 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 04:53 PM

Whoa there, everybody take a step back now!

Mike, worrybirdie did not call CF the most unfriendly course design software ever - he wrote something in this vein about Unity. Which is so utterly wrong and lacking the most basic understanding of the most basic facts that I had to restrain myself from pointing this out, fearing to have to be "that guy" yet again.

And your etch-a-sketch quip was a bit harsh, true.

Buck, really? Again? 

Cool it, all of you.

Thank you K11 - That as my only point here..

It's not fostering a great atmosphere when administrators have fun and take shots at the expense of their users.

I'm pretty sure most of us would get in hot water if we started taking personal shots at Mike.

I just want some consistency on this stuff, that's all.

Is it a free for all where we can go after each other?

Is political stuff allowed now?  

If not, why am I being accused of "political correctness" when trying to avoid going down political routes in threads?

(as you can see, per Richard's suggestion, I'm stretching my legs in that direction with a new avatar)

I really don't give a sh*t what the rules are and am happy to play by them all across the forum, but could they be written down and adhered to?

I actually just tried to find them and the forum registration process (where the rules are supposed to be listed and agreed to) points to a super nebulous forum template sign up language document that really doesn't cover any participation rules at all..

so...?  

I don't know - I guess the rules are day by day..

#28 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 04:56 PM

JohnnyDrama.jpg

#29 Richard

Richard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBismarck, ND

Posted 14 June 2017 - 05:25 PM

(as you can see, per Richard's suggestion, I'm stretching my legs in that direction with a new avatar)

I must be missing your humor once again with your avatar. Guess it's an 'airplane' joke.

By the way, you seem to change avatars more often than I change underwear. Yup, been a few days. LOL.

Richard

Posted Image

#30 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 05:28 PM

I must be missing your humor once again with your avatar. Guess it's an 'airplane' joke.

An "airplane joke"?

Well excuse me, but IMHO, POLITICAL CORRECTNESS, in this world has run amok. I for one will not be reined in. I did not violate any rules by referring to Trump and fake news. Both are a reality, nothing political about either. I'm not either endorsing or objecting to his political positions or the media's opinion.  Just that they exist.

Buck, you need to lighten up. What rules are you referring to that I've violated. How is either mentioning 'Trump' or 'fake news' a violation of the "rules"??????

Referring to your suggestion above..
I'm "lightening up" and having some more fun..

Sorry you can't see the humor in the picture.
It's actually pretty funny and a great metaphor for the US right now.

#31 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 14 June 2017 - 05:45 PM

Wow, you meant, CNN and Fake News, RIGHT!!!

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#32 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 14 June 2017 - 07:43 PM

BQNKv7I.jpg

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#33 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 07:44 PM

No 3D Grass means...

etch_a_sketch_1-620x421.jpg

#34 worrybirdie

worrybirdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  • LocationPismo Beach, California

Posted 14 June 2017 - 08:25 PM

Thinking more deeply about this, designing a course on an etch a sketch would actually be quite difficult. Square greens anyone?

You beat me to the punch on this one (those things are ridiculously hard to use...uh oh...now I'm going to get in trouble with the Etch A Sketch people!) :o And I'm getting to be a pretty old bird now (just turned 58), and am pretty comfortable in my own skin, so a little sparring with another poster (or even a dev) doesn't bother me (much). However, I think Buck is saying that as an administrator you are held to a higher standard. Though it only bothered me a little (and I can give as good as I get), some people out there could be offended. It also tends to put a damper on reasonable free expression on the forum. I've come to recognize your personal style, and the fact is 95% of the time its spot on. As this posting was kind of a personal shot in reaction to suggestions I have made (quite respectfully) that you don't agree with, this probably wasn't your finest hour. :unsure:  However, I figured you were just having fun with me. I've developed quite a respect, and dare I say, affection for you and many of the people on this forum. Andy and your efforts in trying to make a great golf game has not gone unappreciated. My suggestions are always aimed at helping you accomplish that.

And BTW...I just found out that APCD is worse than Unity, so I am not one of those people who think Unity is the worst course designer ever. And, as I've said before, this is the best forum I've ever been on. That's why I participate in it, and not other "AAA forums". So somebody must be doing something right (actually a lot of people). :wub:

• axe360 and Kablammo11 like this

#35 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 10:16 PM

Thanks for the post WB and for taking my post in the spirit it was intended. Ultimately most of us are here because we enjoy the game and want it to keep getting better and there is no doubt that many things can be improved upon as we move forward.
  • axe360 and worrybirdie like this

#36 jt83

jt83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 10:47 PM

Like letting everyone know Unity has an auto-save feature  ;)

I tried reopening my scene from within Unity and the changes I'd made that I didn't want were still there.  The auto-save must kick in after a certain amount of time.  Certainly quirky - the only other programs I use with auto-save are Word and Final Draft.  Word saves the doc with 'draft' in the file name and FD has the courtesy to bring up a notification asking if you'd like to auto-save.

I guess most would appreciate the auto-save, but for newbies who like to experiment wildly assuming they can just not save...well at least now we know.

#37 clubcaptain

clubcaptain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 12:24 AM

You beat me to the punch on this one (those things are ridiculously hard to use...uh oh...now I'm going to get in trouble with the Etch A Sketch people!) :o And I'm getting to be a pretty old bird now (just turned 58), and am pretty comfortable in my own skin, so a little sparring with another poster (or even a dev) doesn't bother me (much). However, I think Buck is saying that as an administrator you are held to a higher standard. Though it only bothered me a little (and I can give as good as I get), some people out there could be offended. It also tends to put a damper on reasonable free expression on the forum. I've come to recognize your personal style, and the fact is 95% of the time its spot on. As this posting was kind of a personal shot in reaction to suggestions I have made (quite respectfully) that you don't agree with, this probably wasn't your finest hour. :unsure:  However, I figured you were just having fun with me. I've developed quite a respect, and dare I say, affection for you and many of the people on this forum. Andy and your efforts in trying to make a great golf game has not gone unappreciated. My suggestions are always aimed at helping you accomplish that.

And BTW...I just found out that APCD is worse than Unity, so I am not one of those people who think Unity is the worst course designer ever. And, as I've said before, this is the best forum I've ever been on. That's why I participate in it, and not other "AAA forums". So somebody must be doing something right (actually a lot of people). :wub:

Your generosity knows no bounds.

PC specs...

Intel core I7 9700k 3.6 GHZ-Turbo 4.9 GHZ
64 GB Corsair vengeance  LPX DDR4 2400 MHZ
Asus PRIME Z390-P 
Nvidea GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
X box 360 wired controller
Windows 10 PRO NA 64 bit

#38 worrybirdie

worrybirdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  • LocationPismo Beach, California

Posted 15 June 2017 - 12:52 AM

Your generosity knows no bounds.

Thank you!...unless it was sarcasm. But it can't be, because I think there's a forum rule against that. :rolleyes:

• Richard likes this

#39 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 06:55 AM

Like letting everyone know Unity has an auto-save feature ;)

I tried reopening my scene from within Unity and the changes I'd made that I didn't want were still there. The auto-save must kick in after a certain amount of time. Certainly quirky - the only other programs I use with auto-save are Word and Final Draft. Word saves the doc with 'draft' in the file name and FD has the courtesy to bring up a notification asking if you'd like to auto-save.

I guess most would appreciate the auto-save, but for newbies who like to experiment wildly assuming they can just not save...well at least now we know.

There is a tutorial explaining the difference between terrain saving and scene saving. You can find it in the tutorials section here. The terrain auto save is explained fully in that tutorial.

#40 jt83

jt83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 07:33 AM

The terrain being always active is explained - but the scene being always active (after an unclear amount of time) isn't.  

I'm not being critical, I just found myself in an unusual position where I wanted to close and not save after doing some work on the scene.  I guess the lesson for me going forward is - save both scene and terrain before making considerable changes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users