#21 Goran JoeMen

Goran JoeMen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 21 June 2017 - 10:45 PM

I don´t care if the course is real or fictional when playing out of tourneys which I do more often.

I designed both kinds, and the real ones took me like a year and was a real pain to do trying to copy the original without the lidar and stuff we have now. The fictional ones were a joy to make, using all my creativity and trying to transform what I learned about course strategy and seeing great holes from magazines and broadcasts. Sometimes I got so inspired I could not stop and stayed up all night and created three holes in one session.

http://www.goranmentzer.st

RTS-M pro  -  Intel i5-9600K 3.7ghz  - 16GB  RAM - GeForce RTX 2060 super  - 2560x1440

#22 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 22 June 2017 - 05:44 AM

I do both. At heart, I will always prefer my own design to a replica of a real one, but you gotta keep the people happy. I use this analogy all the time but it works here too - think of yourself as a musician who can play original songs or covers.

The abundance of great data makes real courses a heck of a lot easier than before, but it also kinda turns it what is more or less a tracing exercise a lot of the time. Sometimes it gets boring and feels like filling in a form rather than creating from your heart and mind. But real courses move the needle, and I do get satisfaction if I feel like I've done it justice.

I'm happy existing in a little space that covers both sides of said spectrum... truth is, I find CF and Unity so accommodating compared to previous formats that it allows me to be prolific without feeling like I'm endlessly stuck on a project for months on end.

• RobC likes this

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users