Photo

What are the course designers waiting for ...

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#21 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 25 June 2017 - 08:33 PM

Remember for Most of us, you don't just sit down and hammer out a course in 2 weeks. The only one I have seen do that (may have been longer) and produce a very well designed course is the big DoGgz. He has built many ex. courses. I know though, that he had to have spent many hours a day doing them.

I know I'll  sit down, open Unity, bring up my course and BAM! LAAAAAARRRRRY get the dog, LAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRY what's for dinner, LAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRY, better get to the store and get dinner. larry larry larry..

Just kidding, I'm blessed to be able to have such a wonderful family. However, free time does play a big roll.

• Richard and GoldenBear like this

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#22 Richard

Richard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBismarck, ND

Posted 25 June 2017 - 11:12 PM

Let's hear it!!!

LARRY

LARRY

LARRY

Oh, before I forget, GO TWINS!!  :P 

• axe360 likes this
Richard

Posted Image

#23 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 25 June 2017 - 11:51 PM

I'm still around but I am working at a slower pace these days. I've had a very busy few weeks at home; my wife lost her job and I've had to come up with a lot of additional income. It has also been an extremely busy time for me with my music; I've played 7 gigs in the last 16 days so my weekends have been full as well. Add the fact that my kids are out of school and bored at home and there's also a need to give them more love and attention.

I've been pretty good at putting out one course a month for awhile, but I probably won't be able to keep that up in the short term.

As far as burnout / repetition - there has been some creeping doubt lately that maybe I'm leveling off as a designer... recent projects of mine don't seem to draw the same amount of enthusiasm. I suppose all the really great real courses have been done now by someone and now we are kind of into the second and third tier.

I have many projects still happening and I don't plan on going away anytime soon. I've just had to lower my workload quite a bit over the last month or two.

Sometimes life gets in the way.

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#24 jt83

jt83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 03:01 AM

I suppose all the really great real courses have been done now by someone and now we are kind of into the second and third tier.

I guess after Pine Valley, Pinehurst, and Oakmont the big ones will be done, but boy there's some quality in those other tiers.  I loved Cambrian Ridge, TPC Woodlands, Woburn, and Mt Juliet (a Nicklaus design...cough, cough) in Links, and they're probably on the fifth or sixth tier, where the few who've played them know they are quality.

I wouldn't worry too much about slowing down.  It gives us time to play Pebble again.

#25 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 26 June 2017 - 03:13 AM

More doom and gloom.  The attention spans of players seems to be very little.  If nothing else happens (other than fixing the 3 click meter) I would still be satisfied for the next 10 years.  I guess some people always need something new.

Dude... you just need a standard reply to every post on this forum because you say the same thing over and over and over.  We get it.  You are holier than thou.  We should all repent and be blessed with your presence.

This game is progressing slower than a snail wading through peanut butter.  Shame on us normal folk for noticing that.

Steam Name: Turnerm05

Swing Type: RTSC | Tour Pro | XB1 Wireless

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

GTX 1080 Founders Edition

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#26 PELO

PELO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 05:01 AM

Just in pain mostly.  I've had surgeries on my wrists, elbows and shoulders and sometimes, I just can't deal with the pain of the repetitive mouse movements for more than 30 minutes at a time in CF.  I did something this year to make it flare up real bad.  I keep hoping it'll get better, so CF work is very slow for me.

Sorry for your predicament. I hope and pray that whatever is ailing you goes away permanently.

#27 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 26 June 2017 - 10:49 AM

I think the themes and the lack of lidar and other imported data works in favor of TGC designer by supporting a much more "design" driven community.  There is a lot more discussion on fictional designs and some very talented designers over there.

CF on the other hand has become mostly a real course creation tool and a pretty good one you have to agree. The possibilities are endless and a lot more emphasis are placed on eye candy.  I love all the real course creations as much as the next guy but much prefer doing original fictional designs myself but as many have mentioned also lost a bit of motivation. 

Intel Core i5-6600 CPU 3.3 GHz       Geforce GTX 1060        16GB  RAM       Windows 10 64 bit

Hazyview  (600m above sea level)    --   Nautilus Bay  (Revamp done)  --  Cape Fear  (TGC  adaptation)  --  Aloe Ridge  --  Nahoon Reef GC  --  Chambers Bay 

Abel's Crossing  --  Solitude Links GC

#28 Trath

Trath

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 26 June 2017 - 11:14 AM

I really like Nahoon Reef GC. I think it is fun to play, yet challenging, allows for a variety of strategies and is attractive. I used to go to surf at Nahoon Reef every year for the Border vs Eastern Province provincial champs. I have fond memories of our escapades.

• highfade likes this

Asus ROG Maximus Gene - i7 4790k @ 4.7ghz - Radeon R9 FURY - 16 gigs ram - Antec 750W Gold PSU - Samsung EVO 840 250 gig SSD - LG 29UM67 Monitor - Logitech G502 mouse

#29 olazaboll

olazaboll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 11:20 AM

As CF was released publicly, many new designers joined "The Cause" and started churning out their courses. This was the perfect time for me to slip into the background and wait for the "next thing". Right now, I think it's utterly pointless (sorry, other guys) to publish any new golf course under the old Unity 5.2.3 standard. I'm waiting for Unity 5.5 with procedural grass, hoping this might rekindle my old passion. When the time is right, I absolutely intend to have another go. I have 3 courses already laid out and meshed: "Oasis Lodge", "The Peacemaker" and "The Thing". To finish them now, however, would not go beyond producing "more of the same". 

Can someone help me understand what inpact the transistion from 5.2.3 to 5.5 will be ....

Will this be the end of playing and designing on a mid performance PC like mine ? ...or will I still be able or design in 5.2.3 .... or in 5.5 at the lover graphic standard that 5.2.3 provide us with today ???

Really like to know since the past days, 3 more future projects popped up in my head , but Im not really "there" for a CPU upgrade 

Need to know if it's time to stop dreaming or not .... See my specs below :

AMD Phenom ™

9950 Quadcore 2,6 GHZ

8,0 GB RAM

Navida GE Force GTX 750 ti 

Windows Vista / 64 bit

#30 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 11:32 AM

5.5 will mean a new game and an updated CF, in line with the latest Unity "improvements". Unity 5.5, however, is out and about already and PP usually follow one or two updates later, since they have to catch up belatedly.

Unity 5.5 will mean procedural grass aka TE (turf effects) and a few more improvements, mainly in lighting and in terrain tesselation. It's going to be great, they say. If the bliss should happen, you should get better and nicer images at the same or even less performance cost.

It should also mean the advent of JNPG2 with new avatars, new swing mo-cap, with career mode, console versions, an improved user interface etc and many, many, many good things more. This being a major overhaul of the entire project and the primary focus of the devs atm, that also means that the game and CF we now have will be left mostly unsupported and un-upgraded, until the switch to 5.5 will be performed.

I'm not sure you will have to upgrade, Ola - of course we all are supposed to upgrade our stuff all of the time because by the time we buy new computers they are already obsolete and overshadowed by the next amazing innovations coming down the pipeline. So it's up to you if you want to go for a panic buy or just wait and see. My personal recommendation would be to think twice about the former and opt for the latter. 

• olazaboll and cajuncapgun like this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#31 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 26 June 2017 - 12:54 PM

Remember for Most of us, you don't just sit down and hammer out a course in 2 weeks. The only one I have seen do that (may have been longer) and produce a very well designed course is the big DoGgz. He has built many ex. courses. I know though, that he had to have spent many hours a day doing them.

I know I'll  sit down, open Unity, bring up my course and BAM! LAAAAAARRRRRY get the dog, LAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRY what's for dinner, LAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRY, better get to the store and get dinner. larry larry larry..

Just kidding, I'm blessed to be able to have such a wonderful family. However, free time does play a big roll.

Not as many hrs as you may think, with a real course i can prob trace, treat and plant one hole in 30 mins and the faster you can source your objects the faster you can incorporate them and move on.  Just about to release St georges, i had the holes traced out about a month ago, resumed it a few days ago, prob spent about 5 hrs unity time bringing it to release.  Lol i was a big quake player back in the day, so using the wasd and shift keys to move around the plot is very swift and accurate for me, not much more than 10hrs total unity time.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#32 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 26 June 2017 - 01:05 PM

Not as many hrs as you may think, with a real course i can prob trace, treat and plant one hole in 30 mins and the faster you can source your objects the faster you can incorporate them and move on.  Just about to release St georges, i had the holes traced out about a month ago, resumed it a few days ago, prob spent about 5 hrs unity time bringing it to release.  Lol i was a big quake player back in the day, so using the wasd and shift keys to move around the plot is very swift and accurate for me, not much more than 10hrs total unity time.

Wow, that is a blistering pace and the quality is definitely always there.  You go boy.

Quake? Hmmm, I still think Quake 2 was the best! Love that game!

Yes, I think I caught the Royal a little to late. I've missed a few of yours lately. Want to make sure I get in on testing the next one.

Guess I need to step up my Amana Colonies course. Although Real courses have a lot done for us already, planting is my bad suit. Especially with No images to go off of.. Bah, I digress.

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#33 Trath

Trath

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 26 June 2017 - 04:08 PM

This may be me being ignorant (I have friends in Europe so ...) but upgrading PC's in Europe and America is so cheap compartively speaking to average income. I upgrade certain components like graphics cards and cpu's at least ever 2 years in South Africa that has some heavy import duties on certain products.

Just cause alot of you guys are getting on in years ... doesnt mean you should ignore the exuberism and excitement or new toys to play with, its really not very expensive  :P

Olazaboll, I would definately upgrade what you have sometime later this year. The next 4 months are going to provide amazing bargains for PC upgrades. AMD's new cpus have shaken up the market and put pressure back on Intel. AMDs new graphics cards due in a few weeks will do the same to nVidia. Larger monitors e.g. 27-32 inch are more "affordable" now.

This all means the consumer wins. There are so many options to choose from in the coming months.

Asus ROG Maximus Gene - i7 4790k @ 4.7ghz - Radeon R9 FURY - 16 gigs ram - Antec 750W Gold PSU - Samsung EVO 840 250 gig SSD - LG 29UM67 Monitor - Logitech G502 mouse

#34 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 04:53 PM

Trath, you somewhat eagerly assume that us old farts (just speaking for myself here) do care one bit about components within our computers, care to improve them, bother to educate ourselves about pros and cons, develop optimisation strategies, invest time and effort into building a custom-made gear, devoutly kneel in front of the impossible illusion of ultimate gamerdom and generally feel inadequate at every waking moment about our equipment.

In other words, consumers are expected to do the hard work on behalf of producers and software studios who don't - and get in line (with a smile) or be left behind. And instead display some google-eyed, obedient and hardy-har-har can-do...Exuberism? That's not even a word! I'm going to give you exuberism, my dear friend, and I'm.... hnnngh... Must. Abort. Major. Rant. About. To. Start... must! Shut up! Don't!... don't. go. there... don't...

AaaaAAAAAH...... hnnnngh...

Executive summary: This is capitalism, dear fellow Forum member: The consumer never wins. 

Totsiens!

• GoldenBear likes this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

<<<<<

#35 Trath

Trath

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 26 June 2017 - 05:45 PM

Always the master of understatement. Engage RANT mode .. it makes for entertaining reading!

#36 olazaboll

olazaboll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 10:28 PM

Olazaboll, I would definately upgrade what you have sometime later this year. The next 4 months are going to provide amazing bargains for PC upgrades. AMD's new cpus have shaken up the market and put pressure back on Intel. AMDs new graphics cards due in a few weeks will do the same to nVidia. Larger monitors e.g. 27-32 inch are more "affordable" now.

No I will not,,, not this year, the next or the one after that .... maybe after that ... you see ... this "Old Fart" (=me) decided to go to univeristy and get myself a new education so I dont go nuts on my currant work before I retire in so so 16 years ... So money IS an factor nowadays ... I'm enjoying my first school summer break in 32 years ... wich is nice ,,,, and/but I also enjoyed my first paycheck in 6 months . I do have a 32 inch monitor already though ... 

#37 jt83

jt83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 01:53 AM

I'm waiting on more Aussies to take up CF as a hobby.  There's no shortage of good elevation data in certain areas of the country.

#38 Trath

Trath

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 27 June 2017 - 06:51 AM

Thats awesome Ola, I hope that your studies go well. The biggest upgrade imho would be:

- 250 gig ssd

- AMD Radeon 580 or nVidia Gtx 1060

If you got these 2 things your pc would definately work well. What resolution is your monitor? If it is 1080p or 1440p then a R580 or GTX 1060 would suffice.

#39 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 08:04 AM

To get this thread back on track, I just went and had a look at some Speedtree models... one never knows, beauty can sometimes occur in the most unlikely of places. Alas, no hope: honestly, the sight of these sad brutes almost made me retch. Doesn't help that in my distant youth I dabbed in landscape painting and created many (inadequate) drafts of trees and bushes, accruing a healthy respect for the wonderful, intricate forms and shapes of them - and a deep loathing for facile, uninspired approximation.

Too bad, I did feel a course design tingling as of late, potentially building up into a course creation semi, but that short glimpse turned me limp within seconds. 

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#40 jt83

jt83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 08:07 AM

Too bad, I did feel a course design tingling as of late, potential building up into a course creation semi, but that short glimpse turned me limp within seconds. 

:lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users