#1 Stephen Sullivan

Stephen Sullivan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationWorksop, Nottinghamshire

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:16 AM

I have built a few courses for Links 2003 (Not to Mike's standard, but I was happy with them :unsure: )

Just wondered whether courses built in APCD would be transferable into Course Forge?

I ask as I have a couple of courses in the works at the moment and would rather carry on in Course Forge if possible as APCD is SO time consuming.

Posted Image

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:44 AM

We have written a converter that will allow you to convert your terrain and import it into course forge.
  • Unique and Stephen Sullivan like this

#3 Stephen Sullivan

Stephen Sullivan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:28 AM

Would that just be the verts or would it include basic textures as well (One of the courses already has major seam blends done)

Posted Image

#4 TimBoch

TimBoch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationFarmington, MN

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:56 PM

Hello AJ and all.

I look forward to being able to transfer my courses. Even more so, maybe using the higher definition DEMs we can now get and make even more accurate versions.  Will CourseForge allow for higher definition DEMs?  APCD was pretty limited and could not import the newer Lidar DEMs.  Really looking forward to getting back into designing.

Keep up all the great work.

Course Forge Courses in various stages of design: Dwan Golf Club, Hyland Greens, Faribault CC, Desert Valley CC/ Woodland Trail(fictional), Infamous Golf Course (fantasy)
Links 2003 Designs: Dwan Golf Club, Infamous Golf Course, Hazeltine National Golf Club (assistant designer), Woodland Trail/Desert Valley CC , Faribault CC (beta), Hyland Greens (beta), Double Eagle (beta), King's Walk (beta), Interlachen CC (still in planning)
Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2.5GHz
  • Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit
  • 16GB DDR3L RAM
  • 750GB 7,200RPM Hard Drive
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:05 PM

The converter can convert any ascii data file or APCD file at the moment of any resolution and can output it in any power of 2 format up to 4096x4096 which is the max allowed by Unity.

When we did the Masters we were provided with a lidar map with over 20 Million verts that was used to create the course

• Unique and oZZeus like this

#6 Bluenoser

Bluenoser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:56 PM

The converter can convert any ascii data file or APCD file at the moment of any resolution and can output it in any power of 2 format up to 4096x4096 which is the max allowed by Unity.

When we did the Masters we were provided with a lidar map with over 20 Million verts that was used to create the course

Wow, that allows for amazing detail no doubt. :)

#7 Davefevs

Davefevs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:01 PM

Probably a stupid question for those of you experienced in APCD, but my failed attempt to create my own course was attempted using google maps!

How would I go about getting a DEM or something appropriate to get the basic elevations? My local is quite hilly in places.

The CF video was very inspiring. I'd love to at least create a reasonable version of my own track.

#8 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:53 PM

IMO, one thing for sure that Andrew's course conversion will do is to give Perfect Golf/Course Forge a way to create a fairly large catalogue of courses in a short space of time.

With the courses already out there (for the designers that still frequent the community at least), they get imported to Course Forge, receive a bit of TLC and hey presto.

Hopefully it will be as easy as I make it sound, lol.

:D

#9 Stephen Sullivan

Stephen Sullivan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:08 PM

I think I may attempt to redo Worksop and Lindrick for Perfect Golf if I can get then hang of Course Forge.  Had a look at Unity earlier and was totally lost :unsure:

Posted Image

#10 TimBoch

TimBoch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationFarmington, MN

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:53 PM

Thanks AJ.

I look forward to importing and upgrading my old courses.  I installed the free version of Unity and it looks similar to 3dsMax. Starting to look at the Unity tutorials to better understand it.  Even though I taught myself how to use APCD, often using different courses to learn different things, I was wondering if there could be a manual similar to Art's to help designers? 

Thanks again for all you and the group have done. I will be happy to help in any way needed.

Course Forge Courses in various stages of design: Dwan Golf Club, Hyland Greens, Faribault CC, Desert Valley CC/ Woodland Trail(fictional), Infamous Golf Course (fantasy)
Links 2003 Designs: Dwan Golf Club, Infamous Golf Course, Hazeltine National Golf Club (assistant designer), Woodland Trail/Desert Valley CC , Faribault CC (beta), Hyland Greens (beta), Double Eagle (beta), King's Walk (beta), Interlachen CC (still in planning)
Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2.5GHz
  • Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit
  • 16GB DDR3L RAM
  • 750GB 7,200RPM Hard Drive
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M

#11 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:19 PM

I'll add a post here instead of starting yet another thread, lol.

Regards course file sizes, could AJ, MJ or anyone at PP confirm how big the Augusta National course file weighs in at?

Just curious as with graphical improvements with texture sets etc. in Links 2003, we started seeing high quality courses weighing in at well over 100MB in size. Just wondered how Course Forge was in comparison to the APCD with regards to the courses that players will eventually download to be able to play.

;)

#12 John Griffin

John Griffin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:32 PM

Kind of related topic - ability to import elevation data for creating real courses, or fictional courses on real terrain.  The USGS has recently downgraded the capability of the National Map Viewer (NMV) to no longer offer GeoTIFF format elevation data.  That was the usual format for conversion to DEM and subsequent import into APCD/Links 2003.  I had hoped that APCD could be a workaround for import into Course Forge - e.g. download NMV GeoTIFF data, convert to DEM, import into APCD, and then convert into Course Forge.

But the NMV changes have me concerned that there is no easy/free way to continue to get elevation data into APCD, possibly eliminating that option for import to the Forge.

So I'm wondering if the course converter tool that AJ mentioned will be able to handle any ASCII elevation file?  With the changes at NMV, I'm still trying to learn more about the remaining formats available (ArcGrid and GridFloat).  Would be great to avoid some sort of other middle-man translation tool (like expensive programs such as Global Mapper) to be able to take available data from NMV and import directly into the Forge (or at least reduce the step to a single tool like what AJ mentioned).

Appreciate any further insight that may be available on the converter tool!

#13 Andrew

Andrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:13 PM

The purpose of the converter tool is to do just that, take out the need for Global Mapper, Photoshop etc to be able to create a terrain that is fully mapped with an overhead texture.  Right now it supports APCD, ASCII vector and ASCII Grid and Bing MAps

#14 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:45 AM

Kind of related topic - ability to import elevation data for creating real courses, or fictional courses on real terrain.  The USGS has recently downgraded the capability of the National Map Viewer (NMV) to no longer offer GeoTIFF format elevation data.  That was the usual format for conversion to DEM and subsequent import into APCD/Links 2003.  I had hoped that APCD could be a workaround for import into Course Forge - e.g. download NMV GeoTIFF data, convert to DEM, import into APCD, and then convert into Course Forge.

But the NMV changes have me concerned that there is no easy/free way to continue to get elevation data into APCD, possibly eliminating that option for import to the Forge.

So I'm wondering if the course converter tool that AJ mentioned will be able to handle any ASCII elevation file?  With the changes at NMV, I'm still trying to learn more about the remaining formats available (ArcGrid and GridFloat).  Would be great to avoid some sort of other middle-man translation tool (like expensive programs such as Global Mapper) to be able to take available data from NMV and import directly into the Forge (or at least reduce the step to a single tool like what AJ mentioned).

Appreciate any further insight that may be available on the converter tool!

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#15 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:48 AM

Sorry, I screwed up...

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#16 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:58 AM

This is why we are going to love this program.... these guys really do have all the bases covered.

• Erik Lugris likes this

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#17 rwmorey

rwmorey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:58 PM

Any time frame on when the tool will be made available for us?

• Erik Lugris likes this

#18 Andrew

Andrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:44 PM

Working out the bugs now. Someone asked about real terrains. You can use the converter to zoom in anywhere in the world and get a 1024x1024 DEM and overhead texture aligned that can be direct imported into course forge

It handles ASCII APCD and any bing map you like
  • Erik Lugris, Unique, Acrilix and 1 other like this

#19 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:08 AM

Working out the bugs now. Someone asked about real terrains. You can use the converter to zoom in anywhere in the world and get a 1024x1024 DEM and overhead texture aligned that can be direct imported into course forge

It handles ASCII APCD and any bing map you like

This is all sounding very exciting, and should bring the possibility of 'real' course creation within everyone's capabilities! B)

life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#20 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:25 AM

This is all sounding very exciting, and should bring the possibility of 'real' course creation within everyone's capabilities! B)

L,

I'll second that bud. That sounds like an awesone addition to the course design process. The Course Forge release will be bigger news than Fergie retiring, lol.

• Erik Lugris likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users