#41 Mick-S

Mick-S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationDevon.u.k / born London

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:36 PM

I havn`t used the TW architect for a few years, although probably have some files around somewhere, axe360 is still designing for TW as far as I know, will send him a PM and see what he thinks.

Andrew,

thanks for taking the time to reply, just that I am sure quite a few TW designers will come over to PP and course forge so using some of there work from TW ( if possible) could save a lot of time.

#42 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:13 PM

If someone sends me a TW 08 course file that was developed by a user (not by EA) I am happy to take a look, but can make no promises as it is a long process to read binary files and find the vertex data.

If you tell me how to contact you I will be glad to send you my latest course file and anything else you should need. I am no expert but will do what I can, maybe you could pm me with details on how to get you the tcr file? Just not sure what the point would be, I would rather make new courses then transfer old ones, you know what I mean?

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#43 Mick-S

Mick-S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:13 PM

Just not sure what the point would be, I would rather make new courses then transfer old ones, you know what I mean?

#44 Mick-S

Mick-S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:26 PM

well I was thinking more of people who have attempted real courses, got to save a lot of work as far as I can see, obviously you can make alterations/improvements, but if you would rather make new ones thats fine.

#45 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:53 PM

I see what your saying Mick, I didn't think about that..  You may be right, there may be folks who have courses in the works that want to import them.. Don't let me throw a wrench into what you are doing.. I am still more then willing to send a course file as soon as Andrew get's a hold of me.. :)

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#46 Jimbo63

Jimbo63

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • LocationManchester, England

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:29 PM

Do you think that the tca file would be of more use, as the tcr is the compilation of the game to make it playable in TW2008 ??? 

#47 Mick-S

Mick-S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:39 PM

Do you think that the tca file would be of more use, as the tcr is the compilation of the game to make it playable in TW2008 ??? 

tca yes thats the file, I have some myself but have no idea where they are, of course if Andrew does find a way to convert, I will be searching the loft and garage for old CDs, I should have Wentworth/Carnoustie/loch Lomond and Gleneagles , even if we can only import the overhead would save having to redraw all the holes.

#48 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:43 PM

Yes Jim, good eye, that would be what they would need...

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#49 Jimbo63

Jimbo63

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:57 PM

As you say Mick, it would be very useful just to get the basic shapes across to CourseForge. I know that TW2008 courses have a mesh, because you can view it when designing a course, so hopefully that would make them similar to APCD courses.

#50 Mick-S

Mick-S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:29 PM

I would think the TCA file is similar to the APCD file, thing is how much time would Andrew have or want to spend on it, as i`m sure he has other things to worry about, but you never know.

#51 garynorman

garynorman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • LocationBedfordshire, England

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:41 PM

I tried to DM Andrew but with no success (I'm probably doing something wrong!!)  So...

Andrew,

I have several .tca files so if you like me to send you some, please let me know.

Cheers,

Gary

#52 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:54 PM

Isn't he going to need the CA to even open up a tca?  I still think it would just be better to do new courses with the new CF, let's move on to the future.. Just my thoughts.. :)

Also, would there be any conflict if some of these courses were Real renditions? I know there isn't any conflict on our site but this may be different ball game?

Plus would need any installed libraries.. :D

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#53 garynorman

garynorman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:01 PM

Isn't he going to need the CA to even open up a tca?  I still think it would just be better to do new courses with the new CF, let's move on to the future.. Just my thoughts.. :)

Also, would there be any conflict if some of these courses were Real renditions? I know there isn't any conflict on our site but this may be different ball game?

I can see where you're coming from, and with regards to real courses I don't know, but surely there's no harm in having the ability to convert old TW courses into CF, and if you don't want to then you don't have to...

Personally I'd love to update a couple of my old works to see how they look and play in 2013 :)

#54 Mick-S

Mick-S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:10 PM

axe, not sure I really understand why you seem to be rejecting the idea, of course you are entitled to your opinion and if you would rather start from scratch thats fine, but from my point of view lets say Wentworth, I spent hours researching and watching videos to get the course as near to real life as possible given the capablities of the CA, being able to use all of the height of the terrain data and the hole layout would be a great help as far as I can see.

anyway, will shut up about it.

#55 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:19 PM

Anything that helps designers from having to start from scratch again is surely a good idea. I'm sure many designers would like to create improved versions of their courses in the new game, without having to repeat all the tedious terrain work as well. I'm sure also that many players would welcome the chance to play their old favourites with all the bells and whistles that may be possible in  the new Perfect Golf game engine. :) 

• garynorman likes this
life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#56 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:53 AM

You guy's make some good points to having it... Maybe it can be a good thing.. :)

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#57 Jimbo63

Jimbo63

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:21 AM

Pic showing mesh from TW2008 course architect course and course info list. Mesh is similar to APCD but the course designer has no direct control of it

Attached Files

#58 Mick-S

Mick-S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:19 PM

did anyone manage to get a TCR file to Andrew  ?

#59 garynorman

garynorman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:21 PM

Nothing sent here...

#60 Jimbo63

Jimbo63

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:42 PM

You can open a .tca file with a freeware hex editor and you get this, but it is meaningless unless you understand it :(

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users