Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:17 PM

Lets hope they don't add Fergie time to any release dates lol

Or even worse and 'do a Fergie' and call it a day and walk off in to the sunset, lol.

:D

#23 Brucey Mc

Brucey Mc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationTeesside, UK #UTB

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:24 PM

Daz when course forge is released, being a liverpool fan I'm sure you would do a Suarez and bite their arm off to get an early copy lol

#24 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:40 PM

Daz when course forge is released, being a liverpool fan I'm sure you would do a Suarez and bite their arm off to get an early copy lol

4q0bbp.jpg

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

#25 Brucey Mc

Brucey Mc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:45 PM

I do hope all these footy gags are appreciated by our international friends or they might think us Brits are a bit weird!

#26 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:49 PM

I do hope all these footy gags are appreciated by our international friends or they might think us Brits are a bit weird!

I'll bet some of them think we're weird anyway, as we play football with our feet, lol.

;)

• Erik Lugris likes this

#27 Brucey Mc

Brucey Mc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:55 PM

Yet they would still probably beat Scotland at our national game

#28 Brucey Mc

Brucey Mc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:56 PM

I'm Scottish btw who supports the Boro, talk about a double whammy of disappointment lol
  • Erik Lugris likes this

#29 Erik Lugris

Erik Lugris

Founder, CEO

• Administrators
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 04:56 AM

This is why we are going to love this program.... these guys really do have all the bases covered.

We like to think so.  thank you.

Erik M. Lugris

Founder

Perfect Parallel, Inc.

#30 John Griffin

John Griffin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:11 PM

The purpose of the converter tool is to do just that, take out the need for Global Mapper, Photoshop etc to be able to create a terrain that is fully mapped with an overhead texture.  Right now it supports APCD, ASCII vector and ASCII Grid and Bing MAps

Sounds like the Bing Maps option will be a quick & easy way to get a combined import of data and aerial image - great idea!  Looks like Bing Maps offers 10m resolution for elevation data which at least gets in the ballpark but will still require some manual fine-tuning of features.

Hopefully the ASCII options will be directly compatible with elevation data available from the USGS National Map Viewer so folks can have the option of using higher resolution data (3m or better) if desired.  Will be looking forward to experimenting with data import options when the converter is released!

#31 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:30 PM

John,

Can you just explain what exactly is the difference between a 10M DEM and 3M DEM?

I appreciate there is a difference in detail between the two. I'm guessing one only registers changes in elevation every 10M and the other every 3M. Am I on the right lines, lol?

;)

#32 John Griffin

John Griffin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:23 AM

Daz - yep, pretty much.  10m resolution means one elevation data point (or grid point) every 10m.  3m obviously has a data point every 3m, so it would provide significantly more detail than 10m for existing terrain features.  With 1m data it's very easy to discern small features in sharp detail.

Usually the highest res available (at least for some areas of the USA) is 1m, but based on comments from some of the other APCD designers, it can produce an imported mesh that's very difficult to navigate (if it can even be imported in the first place due to APCD import vert count limits).  Seems like somewhere in the 3-5m range was optimum for APCD use, offered the best balance between feature detail and mesh complexity.  It's been noted that PP's version of Augusta National used a lidar scan with 20M+ points, so maybe Course Forge will be able to handle higher resolutions a bit easier than APCD.

#33 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:45 AM

Let me just say, since  the USGS site has changed the way you get dems, its made it darn difficult to get dems in 1 chunk.. IT can be done but not like you used to be able to get them....

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#34 Francjac

Francjac

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:14 PM

As a complete novice in design, but played TWO for the past four years, I just want to know what would be the first step to eventually have courses to play on.

I am prepared to learn.

• Davefevs likes this

#35 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:46 PM

As a complete novice in design, but played TWO for the past four years, I just want to know what would be the first step to eventually have courses to play on.

I am prepared to learn.

Welcome Francjac,

The first step to having courses to play on is to build them in Course Forge.

At the moment, we don't have Course Forge and the game itself is in the very early creation stage (long way off a release at present).

You will need a version of Unity 3D in which to work with Course Forge and the game will ultimately require the Unity Player to run the game.

;)

#36 John Griffin

John Griffin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:57 PM

Let me just say, since  the USGS site has changed the way you get dems, its made it darn difficult to get dems in 1 chunk.. IT can be done but not like you used to be able to get them....

Totally agree, the USGS really made it tougher with their recent changes to eliminate custom grid downloads.  I'm still trying to find a free and simple workaround to get elevation data into APCD.  It could be done pretty easily if you're willing to spend $100+ on apps like ArcGIS or Global Mapper, but I can't justify spending that on something I'd use relatively infrequently...

#37 Andrew

Andrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:46 AM

Totally agree, the USGS really made it tougher with their recent changes to eliminate custom grid downloads.  I'm still trying to find a free and simple workaround to get elevation data into APCD.  It could be done pretty easily if you're willing to spend $100+ on apps like ArcGIS or Global Mapper, but I can't justify spending that on something I'd use relatively infrequently...

This is why we are building the converter. It does nothing that ARcGIS or GM can't do but the goal is to provide a tool so you don't have to buy these

#38 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:52 AM

I'll bet some of them think we're weird anyway, as we play football with our feet, lol.

;)

I married an Australian and spent a lot of time there, so you'll never hear it from me about the Brits being weird. Well, maybe just a little.

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#39 Mick-S

Mick-S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationDevon.u.k / born London

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:20 AM

could there be a way to get TW designed courses into course forge ?

#40 Andrew

Andrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:30 PM

could there be a way to get TW designed courses into course forge ?

If someone sends me a TW 08 course file that was developed by a user (not by EA) I am happy to take a look, but can make no promises as it is a long process to read binary files and find the vertex data.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users