58 replies to this topic

#21 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 06:38 AM

Yep, this discussion, as noted earlier, is more about finding an interim solution and illustrating the problem so PG2 can do it correctly.

#22 Dropzone73

Dropzone73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 11 September 2017 - 11:51 AM

I understand your problem but is it really so big? How do you deal with it when a left handed player comes to try your home simulator? The offset should be the other way around and launch monitor should be on the other side etc.. It's never perfect unless you have a great space for your simulator and lefties can hit for example over the launch monitor. 

When you have a normal square hitting mat to allign with then just allign with it and hit it straight. You are not looking at your target when swinging so it shouldn't be too hard. I understand the visual disappointment though. And smaller the room, bigger the dissapointment.

#23 Andrew

Andrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 September 2017 - 12:53 PM

So could someone chime in with a specific of what exactly it should be.

The way its set up the aim stick just shows the point at which a straight shot should go.  Are you requesting that the aim point also be shifted so that a straight shot into the side of the screen visually goes straight on the screen?

#24 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 01:42 PM

When I return from work, I'll post what my FSX software does. For a right handed player, the camera moves to the left, positioning the ball at the right of my screen. However, the target line is also in that same offset position. Meaning my ball is 2 feet to the right of the center of my screen and I hit 2 feet to the right of the center of the screen for a straight ball.

#25 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 02:33 PM

The problem is the camera target/focus point being the pin or shot point.

For the right handed player, the camera needs to move bodily to the left (sim_ offset) but the camera focus point be the shot point (or flag) + "sim_offset".

Camera position = sim_offset (positive moves camera bodily to the left)

Camera target = shot point + sim_offset (some point left of the actual target)

That's what I'm guessing. Obviously, Shimonko is a smart dude and will have a good answer.

#26 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 03:36 PM

So could someone chime in with a specific of what exactly it should be.

The way its set up the aim stick just shows the point at which a straight shot should go.  Are you requesting that the aim point also be shifted so that a straight shot into the side of the screen visually goes straight on the screen?

Correct - if the aim stick is dropped on the flag then the view will be moved so the flag appears on the right of the screen directly in front of the real ball. Currently wherever the aim stick is dropped gets moved to the center of the screen. 

This TGC video shows it exactly at 38 seconds in: 

#27 Andrew

Andrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 September 2017 - 10:20 PM

Ok I think I got it I will get a couple to test a fix

• shimonko and DPRoberts like this

#28 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 12:46 AM

I'm in both beta groups if you'd like external testing.

#29 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 01:04 AM

I understand your problem but is it really so big? How do you deal with it when a left handed player comes to try your home simulator? The offset should be the other way around and launch monitor should be on the other side etc.. It's never perfect unless you have a great space for your simulator and lefties can hit for example over the launch monitor. 

When you have a normal square hitting mat to allign with then just allign with it and hit it straight. You are not looking at your target when swinging so it shouldn't be too hard. I understand the visual disappointment though. And smaller the room, bigger the dissapointment.

I feel it's big - I'm only new to JNPG on sim so shouldn't be given much credibility, but many of the other established guys are compromising their setups to get around it. 

Sometimes I see streams of people who haven't tried to cater for the offset, line up on a monitor, walk to the ball, line up with the mat and just hit without even glancing at the projector screen--that's missing half the point of a projector screen. A second monitor really should be only a luxury for displaying things secondary to the game like shot data, streaming consoles or live chat.

Also it's just not golf to use a mat's edge for alignment - lining up to a target is a skill of golf and one of the reasons alignment aids aren't allowed in real golf. One could even say it's the simulator equivalent of mouse edging (albeit no where near as beneficial).

re: the left handers - I definitely wouldn't compromise my setup on the < 1% chance one might visit.

#30 Larrykuh

Larrykuh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 01:25 AM

Shimonko, I don't want to hi-jack this thread, but can you fix line 100 of your "Raise The Roof" script. It currently is hard coded for a 1000x1000 terrain. It would be great if you could get the terrain width and length from the terrain itself.

Thanks,

Larry

#31 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 02:07 AM

Hi Larry - pop over to http://www.perfectpa...32-shimontools/

I'll address.

#32 Dropzone73

Dropzone73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 12 September 2017 - 08:13 AM

I feel it's big - I'm only new to JNPG on sim so shouldn't be given much credibility, but many of the other established guys are compromising their setups to get around it. 

Sometimes I see streams of people who haven't tried to cater for the offset, line up on a monitor, walk to the ball, line up with the mat and just hit without even glancing at the projector screen--that's missing half the point of a projector screen. A second monitor really should be only a luxury for displaying things secondary to the game like shot data, streaming consoles or live chat.

Also it's just not golf to use a mat's edge for alignment - lining up to a target is a skill of golf and one of the reasons alignment aids aren't allowed in real golf. One could even say it's the simulator equivalent of mouse edging (albeit no where near as beneficial).

re: the left handers - I definitely wouldn't compromise my setup on the < 1% chance one might visit.

Everything you say is true and it's a good option to have - this right kind of offset. Anyways, I dont think many people will make their hitting mats, walls and launch monitors round because of this so the lining help will still be there. I'm a sim player myself and am glad to receive every kind of improvements to this game. Just didn't think this was a major deal. 

I'm a lefty (right handed though) myself and when I go playing real golf there is three lefties and one right handed player in my fleet. The number of lefties are incresing because nowadays pros let people decide themselves from what side they are willing to play. At least in Europe they do ;).

Everyone makes their simulator mainly for themselves so this isn't a great deal either. With camera based launch monitors you'll always have this left/right hand problem anyway. And when in a small room i believe most players will unconsciously pull their shots towards the center of the screen because they are too scared to hit draw with HLA towards the edge of the screen. So you'll probably still have this problem hitting towards the center. There just isn't aiming excuse for it anymore.

Nice feature anyway and would use it if I hadn't enough room.

#33 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 08:42 AM

Yes, agree about the unconscious pull in towards the center from fear of missing the screen - there are all these forces encouraging big pulls!

#34 Andrew

Andrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:22 PM

Ok I have pushed the change to beta,  let me know if this is more in line with what you wanted from the offset.  The offset is now a value from -1 to 1 (0 is the center)

Andrew

#35 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:16 PM

The camera view and offset seem correct to me. Similar to what I see on FSX and TGC. HOWEVER, after hitting the ball, the camera goes into a tailspin. I'm set on Player camera but it did it on Follow as well.

I am running -0.5 sim_offset in this video in Practice mode.

#36 Andrew

Andrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:49 PM

Ok I pushed another fix for this

#37 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 11:43 PM

Yes Sir! That's beautiful Andrew. Works like a charm and the take off is correct as well versus jumping over at launch.

I know some may think this is not a big deal but when you're deciding between pricey sim software and don't know as much this can be a deal breaker. Also, gives more projector options.

Massive thanks on the quick fix Andrew and to Shimonko for asking for an improvement.

#38 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 03:29 AM

Absolutely love it! It's a different game - being able to intuitively hit to a flag instead of mechanically aligning to a matt or to a target on the floor is amazing immersion.

And to immediately see the ball hit the screen inline with the flag or not is gold. Putting, wow.

My huge pulls have disappeared - I've never celebrated unintentional pushes so much.

There are few minor issues but I'll take the change any day over the hardware solutions that have been resorted to in past.

1. Main one is the overhead map obstructing play for righties. Hopefully that will be relocatable to the left side in PG2 as there is so much room there now for all GUI elements. I can live with turning it off though.

2. As expected, there will be times with huge right breaking putts that the flag will be now off the screen. That could be alleviated by making the movement keys (WASD) respect the new forward direction, so one could use 'S' to move backwards a step or two and keep the putting view direction intact.

3. A minor misalignment with the flag not directly above the ball - as can be seen at https://i.imgur.com/6isrZ0j.jpg

#39 Andrew

Andrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:36 PM

Ok I will push this out to public this week

#40 miroslavkrejci

miroslavkrejci

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 04:51 PM

Could you inform us, when will be public it?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users