#1 Davefevs

Davefevs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 18 May 2013 - 05:45 PM

Thought I'd start a new thread for our views on what we think about pricing of this game, to avoid us going off-topic in other threads.

Post your ideas here.

#2 Davefevs

Davefevs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 18 May 2013 - 05:50 PM

Ok to start.....

Golf balls: don't personally want to pay for balls, but am happy to select which to use at the start of a round,e.g. Choose of a soft ball, sacrificing distance for feel and spin.

#3 Davefevs

Davefevs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:51 PM

Happy to buy the game. Happy to buy an online subscription. Don't want to pay for balls and clubs etc that give me an advantage over someone who hasn't. If people want to pay extra fir branded gear then fine as long as it doesn't give them an unfair advantage.

In real life I still hit some 20+ year old prosimmon blades. And I bought those second hand, so god knows how old they really are!

I don't personally like the WGT business model, I want a game I can play like a pro with without having to buy gear. Practice will make me better, like real life, a snazzy pair of golf shoes won't!!
  • ELTELWIL likes this

#4 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts
  • LocationCouncil Bluffs, Ia

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:59 PM

i would like to see yearly subs,and build yourself to the better gear.

as dave posted WGT is a real work of art even worse then EA when it comes to grabbing one's money

and the people over there are a bunch of snobbish goofs

CUK Mantis Gamer PC (Liquid Cooled Intel Core i9,10 Core                            MSI GF75 Thin 17" Laptop

32GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD + 2TB HDD                                                          I5 8GB Ram GTX1650 

NVIDIA RTX 2070 8GB OC, 600W PSU, AC WiFi, Windows 11                           144 Hz Windows 11

VIOTEK 35" CURVED  144HZ-200HZ OC MONITOR

Seagate 4TB External Hard Drive

Klipsch Sound System

BENCHMARKS-https://www.userbenc...serRun/38611652  

#5 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:26 PM

I have no problem with the purchase of clubs and balls, providing that they don't become necessary to compete with others. In real life there were plenty of people around with better clubs and balls than me, but I never felt that I was at a serious disadvantage when I played them. There were always people that could hit the ball a lot farther than me too, but I never even thought about it, so as long as the game is realistic, ultimately skill should still be the deciding factor.

I don't believe people that play offline should have to pay a yearly subscription, just a one off payment, and I think they should still have access to the community created courses, but if the game is constantly being revised and improved each year, people paying subscriptions should receive any updates for free as they will be necessary to play online. The offline players should be given the chance to purchase these updates, and I believe the majority of people would do, as was the case with the yearly Tiger Woods updates that have been released for a long time now, and Links expansion packs etc in the past. That way I don't think anyone will feel aggrieved, and those who just can't afford it will still have something they can play until their financial situation improves.

life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#6 Richard

Richard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBismarck, ND

Posted 19 May 2013 - 01:01 AM

My thoughts on pricing (2¢ worth). Let me tell you that my only experience with computer golf games is Links 2003 so most of my comments carry that slant.

1. The basic game (including 6 - 12 courses) should be available at a reasonable price to everyone. I'm not sure what a "reasonable price" is but obviously Perfect Parallel needs to recover their development and distribution costs plus make a profit.

2. Additional courses developed by Perfect Parallel should be available to everyone at a reasonable price and available individually and in "discounted bundles". This category should be limited to "real courses" only.

3. "Fictional or Imaginary" courses (Links Corner terminology) created by Perfect Parallel subscribers should be available for download free of charge.

4. "Real Courses" created by Perfect Parallel subscribers must be reviewed by Perfect Parallel for quality and integrity approval prior to being available for download at a nomimal fee. The fee to be determined by negotiation between the creator and Perfect Parallel.

5. There should be "no charge" for "golfer animations" developed by users. Similar to what's available on the Links AmiMasters website for Links 2003.

6. There should be "no charge" for bags, balls, clubs, clothing, etc. This is just a gimmick to generate revenue and not of these items should impact the scoring of a round.

7. There should be a "annual fee" to play online tournaments.

8. Regarding "course designer software":

A.  A basic course designer program should be available for download "free of charge".

B.  A nomimal charge for addtional add-on "planting packages" would seem appropriate. These packages could include texture, trees, club houses, tee markers, electronic leader boards, etc.

I may think of more items based on the response to this post.

• fran21356 and fredp like this
Richard

Posted Image

#7 Guest_Nemesis_*

Guest_Nemesis_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2013 - 04:18 AM

Cost of game: $60.00

Cost to play online for one year $100.00
Choice to play online per month might be around $15.00

Multiply that $100.00 by over 10,000 online players (being modest) and that's a million a year.
Multiply upgrades to the game (licensed game owners) $40.00 by 10,000+ orginal buyers and
and you have $400,000.00+ a year.
Plus, add thousands of new players buying the game at full price over the first three years.
(lot's of income)

After the first year of word-of-mouth, possibly 50,000 paying members.
The second year, possibly 150,000 paying members.
The third year could easily be between 200,000 and 300,000 paying members.

All this conjecture is based on these FACTS. These guys ('PP Principles' are patient professionals).
They are are not greedy and they know that business takes "three years" to become a success. (It takes one year to fail.)

The game purchase and yearly subscription fees are easily affordable by every serious golf simulation player
who realizes this will be the Best-of-the-Best computer golf game ever created. This success will resonate
all over the Internet to every corner of the planet for sim-golf veterans and new comers alike.
My guess would be that PP makes $2,000,000.00+ a year from PerfectGolf (after the first year).

PLUS! Unbelievably fast and reliable support by PP and geek-heads who are part of the community.

• fredp likes this

#8 Stephen Sullivan

Stephen Sullivan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationWorksop, Nottinghamshire

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:12 AM

Leeray    Some of us are on a tight budget.  The idea of $100 a year or whatever that is in proper money is just not going to fly with me :unsure: and smacks of elitism.

Don't mind paying for the game and something like the $20 I pay at APCD Courses to play in tournaments, but no more. Don't even mind pin setting and the like for tournaments.

I will also be attempting to build courses for PP, as I have built some for Links. Most important thing for me though is that a horizontal mouse swing is available. If that isn't available, I will have no interest at all.

Posted Image

#9 Harald

Harald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationNuremberg, Germany

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:46 AM

@Leeray,

i also agreed that we should pay a Price for the Game and also a reasonable Price for the yearly Costs of using the Online Features, but like Sully wrote it must be payable for much more then a Elite Group of Players. And then in my Oppinion you make a Fault in your Thoughts because the Sucess of the Game is not to make "fast Money" the Sucess would be that many Users play the Game over a long long Time permanenty. Also is it in Busines important that your Return of Invest would works longer then 3 Years like you wrote. I think PP wouldn't be happy to make Money for 3 Years and then the Crowd lost the Interest in the Game about Costs who are too High. More important in my personal meaning is that PP established a Game who will be works a longer Time then other Golf Games and therefore they must use/find a Model, maybe with seperate Payments for new Courses every Year etc., then starting with not aceptable Costs for the most Players. Not only the Gameplay is important, also aceptable Cost for the most of the IT Golfer Community.

I7-6700k, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, Palit GTX 1070 Super Jetstream 8GB,16 GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4-3200, Enermax Revolution87+ 850 W ATX 2.4, SSD Samsung 850 Pro, Eizo Color Graphic CS270 - 27", Win 10 Pro (64bit)

#10 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:50 AM

Will there be room for independent  online tours or should all play be through PP? Personally I would like to play a pro tour with no handicapping but where all the players play on the same difficulty level and with the same swing method. :) If there is enough players it should be easy to have a tour exclusively for say Champ level, 4 click swings.

Intel Core i5-6600 CPU 3.3 GHz       Geforce GTX 1060        16GB  RAM       Windows 10 64 bit

Hazyview  (600m above sea level)    --   Nautilus Bay  (Revamp done)  --  Cape Fear  (TGC  adaptation)  --  Aloe Ridge  --  Nahoon Reef GC  --  Chambers Bay 

Abel's Crossing  --  Solitude Links GC

#11 Davefevs

Davefevs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:17 AM

I think the Country Clubs will be controlled within PG. don't suppose that stops anyone having their own outside but not sure if there will be any mechanism to verify a score?

#12 marts30

marts30

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:31 PM

That would put a lot of people off, I think. It's just too much. Why should we have to pay to play online? We should have to pay for gear upgrades or unlocks with Golf$ we can add to our account, but the game should be entirely playable after you purchase! No limits, you can buy a membership which could herald bonuses but it shouldn't be necessary.

• RandyA likes this

#13 Maineah

Maineah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationMaine, U.S.A.

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:42 PM

Why should we have to pay to play online?

Good servers costs good money, if you want a premium online experience we need to pay for that-

• Nemesis likes this

#14 TeenZ

TeenZ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 19 May 2013 - 01:38 PM

WGT charge you credits for balls which do not last meaning you have to keep paying more credits, this is a disgrace, really getting into people's money, then all their clubs for the workability, distance, feel etc they rig it so it makes it difficult to choose which in the hope people buy more than one. They charge for a putting assistant based on a stupid swing meter bar and give no measurements. These are just some things I don't want to see happen here.

WGT is a joke and they've sucked in quite a few people and what does the user get? Not a very good golfing experience and still images and poor graphics along with a lack of many features. There's not even any draw or fade..no crowds, no commentary and not much really.

The people here can look at the mistakes of TWO, WGT and others and easily make a miles better golfing experience.

I think a yearly sub and if you want better equipment it should be on skill not just paying a little extra. I think no green fees for yearly members and no extra fees for members to play tournaments. Maybe extra for country clubs. The equipment in the pro shop I would like to see all mean something unlike TWO where most of the clubs are useless to use.

Pro shop really needs to be interactive and real.

#15 fungolfer

fungolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 01:52 PM

I think paying for the game and paying a yearly sub is my maximum. As I stated before in another thread, I wouldn't wanna see mini transactions or extra payments for equipment.

If there will be an arcade version for the kids ( :D ), I'm ok with mini transactions for everything they need, like previews, clubs, balls, etc. But for the main game, I think that a yearly sub + money for the game itself should be enough.

Who cares...

#16 Guest_Nemesis_*

Guest_Nemesis_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2013 - 02:20 PM

Good servers costs good money, if you want a premium online experience we need to pay for that-

Exactly.

Let me explain a little about costs to other members who felt my projection was too expensive.  When players who paid memberships for TWO and WGT began playing they also had to pay for clubs, balls and apparrel. They also purchased Shot Previews, Putt Previews, Boosters to multiply their points earned for Birdies, Aces, Eagles, Long Drives, Closet to Pin and many others. A myriad of mini-transactions that added up to a lot of money.

In one month's time, many of those players were paying over $100.00 a month. Yikes!

Everthing we have to say in this forum (everyone) helps them see a trend towards concepts that each of us finds acceptable.  My biggest point to make is that all the past games created for PC installation had no income after the initial sale of the CD or DVD. A company cannot survive on just a game's price, it must charge us a yearly subscription to pay for ultra-fast servers with 24/7 realiabilty.  If free online play is allowed (other than trial periods) then bandwith and energy is being used that costs PP money. 

Again, TWO and WGT costs players hundreds of dollars a year to play, Many players were paying $300.00+ in six months of play let alone an entire year.  AND throughout that experience there were server problems, user interface problems and way too many options to buy "things"  that were just plain silly. Real life golf doesn't give a person a putt or shot preview before they make their stroke. I want to play a golf simulation, not an arcade golf game.

My opinion is based on the reality of PP making a profit for a very long time. A very long time would be 20 years. During that period we, the players and members are paying for an incredible game, a wonderfully interactive site and an excellent game-lobby were we can communicate with each other about a games settings and organizing singles or group rounds.

Yes we want to be able to setup our own games against other players and we want PP's servers to setup tournaments for us everyday.  As for me, I would like to see all stats on any player before they join my game by simply clicking on their name in the game lobby. A menu appears asking me what I would like to do, e.g. send a private message, view player's stats, block player, friend player etc.

• fredp likes this

#17 Bluenoser

Bluenoser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 19 May 2013 - 02:21 PM

All this talk about pricing, online fees..... don't know about that and don't really care.

I'm hoping for a game I can install on my PC and then load up and play whenever I feel like it with no restrictions. Have no interest in CC"s, or online leagues and such.

Want very much to be able to set up a career mode and play that, as well as do what I do in Links now - create a few AI Players and play casual rounds against them.

If I have to start buying balls and clubs and other stuff to be able to play at higher levels, then I have zero interest in this game. That's not a slight either, PP is doing an amazing job and doing what they have to do to get this going and out the door. Kudos to them, I really hope they have great success with this.

But at the end of the day, I just want to be able to flash up my game and play at my leisure. :)

#18 Guest_Nemesis_*

Guest_Nemesis_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:07 PM

...at the end of the day, I just want to be able to flash up my game and play at my leisure. :)

IMHO, you'll have that like we all did with TW08 and Links 2003.  However, to play against other players online or participate in PG online tournaments we all have to pay a subscription to cover server costs.  That simple factor is why all golf games (and many other games) never survived for more than a few years. Once consumers stopped buying the games there was no money to cover the costs of running servers and paying developers to upgrade the games.

Someone like yourself who wants to play AI players on your computer and have a leisurely round of golf will "IMO" always be a part of PG's installed game. After all, most of us want to be able to play in practice mode off-line as well. Having an AI player just like TW and Links is a necessity. So are driving ranges and practice greens...

Thanks for chiming in with that thought, it's a very important part of what "I" think this game should have as well.   :)

#19 Guest_Nemesis_*

Guest_Nemesis_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:18 PM

... in Busines important that your Return of Invest would works longer then 3 Years like you wrote.

My comment about three years to become a successful business does not imply they take the money and run.  It absolutely implies that they have recovered costs and have become a profitable/stable company - from there on their longevity is secure. Hopefully for the next 20+ years. Maybe their grandchildren will inherit a family business that is worth millions because they made one game (Simulated Golf) .

#20 Tresclub

Tresclub

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • LocationLa Mesa, CA USA

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:48 PM

Well Lee, you just priced me right out of this game.  Bummer.
Being a senior on a fixed income, an annual fee of $50 would be within reach for moi.

• RandyA likes this

PerfectGolfMember2.jpg 

“You only live once, do it right, and once is enough."

Windows 10 Home 64-bit |Intel® Core™ i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.2GHz | nVidea GeForce GTX 1070 FTW
16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 | 2/Samsung EVO 850 500gb SSD | Corsair 600cx PwrSup
BenQ ZOWIE 27" 1ms LCD HD | DirectX 12 | Realtek High Definition Audio | HD Pro Webcam C920

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users