129 replies to this topic

#101 mbidney

mbidney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 06:48 PM

There's probably room eventually for both a 'progressional' career mode and a more evenly based tournament mode.

I don't see any reason to discriminate against groups that might prefer to play one way or another. Of course a career mode takes a lot more thinking, planning and testing to do it justice and I really haven't seen a golf game do it well up to this point.

I like all of this if the word in red is removed.

#102 DaShotShapa

DaShotShapa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:39 PM

Reply to Richbrunkers post ... sorry guys it wouldn't let me quote his post

but the problem is this isn't real golf so we should have to compare it to the cost of playing for real I do agree though that you should be able to use a ball a limited number of times as the more that ball gets used the more damaged it becomes over time which means you will need to replace your balls at some time in the game which could be done via PErfect credits which is earned via online play and for every PVP game you play online you receive PErfect credits to buy consumables only PErfect credits will not allow you to purchase any DLC and the golf balls in the DLC are pro only golf balls the game starts with no DLC and the golf balls are as basic as they come.

But they want the game to be as close to the real game as possible. So I say go all out.

MSI A88X-G43, AMD A10-5800K, PATRIOT PC3-10700 DDR3 16GB, AMD HD RADEON 7700 1GB DDR5, CREATIVE SOUND BLASTER X-FI, WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE

#103 AndyJumbo

AndyJumbo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:54 AM

Looking the PG working progress, they are doing a good job and i'm really exited to try out the accuracy of the game (playable) !
I say go all out  !!! yeah

#104 Blackadar

Blackadar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:13 PM

I have 120+ games on Steam.  I've been playing PC golf games since Mean 18.  As such, I have a perspective as both a hardcore gamer and as a golf sim fanatic.  First, you have to decide what the model is going to be - a typical software game or free-to-play / pay-to-win.  You're not going to be able to successfully to have both.  You're not going to be able to charge $30 for the game, $10 for DLC packs and get a subscription fee or other micro-transactions.  That would be an instant market failure.

The typical software game is like the old Links games.  Game + DLC is how you make your money.  Online features in this model would be basic and free.  The upside is that it's a familiar model to PC golf gamers and you make your money when you sell the game.  Considering you're trying to put the game on Steam, you'd price it accordingly (probably around $30) and then your courses become DLC released on a regular basis.  There's no micro-transactions involved (clubs, balls, etc.) unless those micro-transactions are cosmetic only.  This is the most typical model.  After a while the sheer cost of the game + DLC becomes a barrier to entry.  Adding a monthly subscription in this model is possible, but that becomes problematic because there's relatively little to offer with a subscription.  It looks like a money grab to charge for the game, DLC and then try to tack on a monthly sub fee for what amounts to little more than multi-player tournaments.

The other model is the free-to-play / typical pay-to-win model.  WTC, Pangya and others have tried this model with various degrees of success.  The game becomes free because the idea is to get as many people playing it as possible and you sell clubs, balls, upgrades and more.  I despise this model.  In this model, skill invariably loses out to "whales" who upgrade the hell out of their character.  I won't elaborate more on this model because this is NOT what Andrew said PP would be and if it is I won't play it at all.  Not to mention that it doesn't generally fit with having a course designer.  The rewards in this model can be enormous if you capture enough whales, 

Now there is a bit of a third option that can fit in with either free-to-play or the typical software game model.  It's been done with MMOs like Guild Wars and even generated massive revenue with free-to-play games (that isn't pay-to-win) like Path of Exile.  That's selling micro-transactions that have no tangible impact on the game.  New avatars, clothing, interesting graphical effects, etc.  In fact, Path of Exile exists solely on these types of transactions.

#105 Blackadar

Blackadar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:15 PM

I think $39.99 for the game (downloadable, or CD/DVD)

39.99 for a years subscription w/ free updates

4.99 Monthly w/ free updates

I dont mind buying clubs that give me, better attributes. Hell, I dont even mind buying balls that will give me better spin and distance. If we was playing real golf we'd be buying clubs to get better attributes anyways. But the pricing has to be reasonable. Not like WGT! I think in the past 6 months alone since TWO went down I have put well over $500 into balls and clubs, just to keep up with my friends on there.

I think if they bundle all the best clubs and balls into a elite golf bag and make the balls have a limited number of hits on each. I'd pay like $20 for that.. I like buying new balls to try out and to see how they feel. So in some ways I like WGT. But the idea of having to buy 10000($100) credits just to get a descent set of clubs and balls to keep up with my friends is a bit ridiculous to me. But thats what I paid, and then some.

Me being disabled and confined to a wheelchair between 16 and 20 hours/day(and use a mouthstick to play computer games because I'm unable to use my hands) and I'm on SSI  and only make $700/month. So $100 is a lot of money for me. I play simulated golf because I cant play real golf. Its a good platform for me to make new friends. Not only that, it gives me a break from my own reality, that I may not ever be able to play real golf.

So please PP, I beg you, dont charge an arm and a leg to play.

Thanks for listening

The game would be dead on arrival charging $40 for the game and then trying to charge for pay-to-win micro-transactions.  Dead.  On.  Arrival.  

---

And again, having the course designer doesn't really lend itself well to either a subscription model or a pay-to-win model.  For instance, charging for a subscription - it takes months to design a good course in most course designers.  When I come out with one, I'm essentially supporting the game and making it more attractive for other users.  And I'm going to be hit with a sub fee?  I don't think so.  

The online features would have to be VERY robust for me to want to pay for a sub fee.  I can't even think of features that would entice me to want to pay for a sub fee in a golf game after forking over $30 or $40 for the base game.  Sub fee for new courses?  I'll just download the ones other users designed.  Charge for those?  Then they won't get created at all (most designers aren't going to want someone to make money off of their efforts).  Charge for pay-to-win micro-transactions?  I probably wouldn't buy the game at all.  There's never been anyone who successfully charged for both the basic game and pay-to-win micro-transactions.  There's a reason why.  

The more I think about it, the more the only real model that fits is basic game + DLC courses.  Online is free, but only "official" courses can be played in online tournaments - encouraging purchases of the DLC courses.  A character progression mode would be available in the single player model, but I think creating one online would be difficult to balance.

#106 EJ50

EJ50

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:46 PM

Is looking forward to the game. The level of detail that's went into the software from what I read and watch is very impressive. You can bet the marketing and pricing end will have just as much thought put into it. 

Keep up the good work guys!

#107 noelw1969

noelw1969

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationStafford, UK

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:25 PM

Personally, I would rather go for a yearly sub with extras but for the right game, I would gladly put up as much as 15 or 20 squid a month as long as extras were at a minimum. (Extras being those crappy, money grabbing micro-purchase thingys !!)

#108 Blackadar

Blackadar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:02 AM

Personally, I would rather go for a yearly sub with extras but for the right game, I would gladly put up as much as 15 or 20 squid a month as long as extras were at a minimum. (Extras being those crappy, money grabbing micro-purchase thingys !!)

This isn't World of Warcraft.  Price this on a $15 sub model and it's dead.

#109 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:33 PM

I have no issues with games charging monthly fees, especially if they are predominantly an online game. I already sub to iRacing, and other than testing on your own, all other features are done online (time trial, practice, qualifying and racing). They currently offer an annual sub for $49 (approx. $4 per month), which allows you to race on the servers as little or as much as you like. Even this to some folks is too expensive, lol.

Thing PP have to look at is how folks are wanting to play. Some may want to online multiplayer side of things, playing tours, team and singles matchplay etc. but there may be others who want a game like TW or Links 2003 where you play predominantly offline and play rounds and send scores to tour moderators who run the tours. To have to pay an online sub to play offline doesn't seem to make sense.

I wouldn't like to be looking at $15 per month to allow me to play golf if I'm honest (especially as a lot of it I would be looking to do offline anyway), as good as the game may turn out to be. $170 per year is a heck of a lot for some folks to be splashing on a virtual hobby (add to that the cost of the game and potential DLC).

• Blackadar likes this

#110 Luff

Luff

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, FL

Posted 08 February 2014 - 03:16 AM

It appears that I may also be priced out of this game due to being retired and on a low budget.  I have been waiting since the first Links game to see something like this game appear and now I most likely will not be able to play due to the apparent projected price.  I enjoyed playing TW 08 and never paid anything beyond the cost of the disc.  I realize that this was probably the reason it failed but there should be a way those less fortunate monetarily could play.  Also a main cause of failure in many online games has been hackers that sidestep many of the requirements.

#111 Blackadar

Blackadar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:09 AM

It appears that I may also be priced out of this game due to being retired and on a low budget.  I have been waiting since the first Links game to see something like this game appear and now I most likely will not be able to play due to the apparent projected price.  I enjoyed playing TW 08 and never paid anything beyond the cost of the disc.  I realize that this was probably the reason it failed but there should be a way those less fortunate monetarily could play.  Also a main cause of failure in many online games has been hackers that sidestep many of the requirements.

There isn't any projected price.  This was just a thread where a bunch of people were talking about what the price might be (with a few who seem to not understand the concept of market pricing).  

#112 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 03:21 PM

Indeed, hang fire everyone until they release something and set prices..

#113 jedi_mike

jedi_mike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:40 AM

just a thought,maybe pp or somebody here will come up with a poll with different pricing and let people vote on which one they like best, it might help with there decision on which way they want to go.

#114 Blackadar

Blackadar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:15 PM

just a thought,maybe pp or somebody here will come up with a poll with different pricing and let people vote on which one they like best, it might help with there decision on which way they want to go.

Not a good idea.  You don't ask your most rabid fans to price your product as the price will skew high and hurt the overall sales of the product.

#115 woodworkery

woodworkery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:21 PM

OMG just give a price , they have an idea what they are going to charge ....Jeeeeeez

#116 woodworkery

woodworkery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:22 PM

This getting ridiculous , poop or get off the pot .....ffs

#117 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:38 AM

This getting ridiculous , poop or get off the pot .....ffs

I have recommended the team drink lots of warm water and eat a large amount of oranges - hopefully this will help.

• fungolfer and MERACE like this

#118 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:14 PM

I just can't understand how people can be so desperate for a game in the first place, and then be additionally so concerned what the price is.

• fungolfer likes this

#119 woodworkery

woodworkery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:34 PM

The reason is just like with anything. You want to know how much it is going to be. I would love to have you as a client. I make custom furniture, cabinets, bookcases, fireplace mantels. 

For u to ask for one of those pieces, and not ask first , " how much "  :D

#120 Blackadar

Blackadar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 04:25 PM

The reason is just like with anything. You want to know how much it is going to be. I would love to have you as a client. I make custom furniture, cabinets, bookcases, fireplace mantels. 

For u to ask for one of those pieces, and not ask first , " how much "  :D

The first question is "when".  Once we know that, then it's appropriate to ask how much.

• fungolfer likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users