1822 replies to this topic

#1 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 06:36 PM

Since we have a new release being worked on by HB, it seemed liked we should separate the conversation out from the now "legacy" TGC2 (basically) and focus on TGC 2019 separately.

HB released "Dev Talk #1 - Photogrammetry" to YouTube today

I threw together a quick mashup video showing just the gameplay footage from it, as that's what I was most interested in.

Video of just the Pre-Alpha gameplay footage

EAAAfpr.png
  • JCat04 likes this

#2 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts
  • LocationCouncil Bluffs, Ia

Posted 09 March 2018 - 06:50 PM

i think the graphics look great as for that avatar if they 

would remove the driver from his butt it would look much better.lol

i have been over on their forums studyin up on it myself. i will wait this one out but when TGC19 hits the street

looks like i will give it a try, hate losing the 3c but i played most of the TW series on PS on controller so i should be able to pick up on it 

without much effort.

• JCat04 likes this

CUK Mantis Gamer PC (Liquid Cooled Intel Core i9,10 Core                            MSI GF75 Thin 17" Laptop

32GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD + 2TB HDD                                                          I5 8GB Ram GTX1650 

NVIDIA RTX 2070 8GB OC, 600W PSU, AC WiFi, Windows 11                           144 Hz Windows 11

VIOTEK 35" CURVED  144HZ-200HZ OC MONITOR

Seagate 4TB External Hard Drive

Klipsch Sound System

BENCHMARKS-https://www.userbenc...serRun/38611652  

#3 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 09 March 2018 - 06:53 PM

Nice job with that actual gameplay video Buck.  I do want to add a correction to one of the statements in your post, that's actually "Pre-Alpha" video. (corrected in OP, thanks)  They haven't incorporated SpeedTrees in yet, nor have they done their final lighting work.  I'm hoping they're going to get a video out soon showing how SpeedTrees look and boost the performance in TGC 2019. 

I'd never heard the term "photogrammetry" until this week.  That video explained it reasonably well.  I think it will result in more realistic looking players. apparel, equipment, and objects at what doesn't sound like an additional processing cost!

Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz 
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#4 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 06:54 PM

@JC:  Fixed - thanks

I agree with you on wanting to see more.

I was pretty underwhelmed with this - looks like TGC2 almost totally to me.

The lighting/the trees - it seems silly, but I want TGC 2019 to "look" like a new release that's evolved.

Is anyone surprised to see that they literally scan/capture items to import into the game?

I am somewhat surprised that it's cheaper/easier/better as a solution vs having artists build 3D models of the objects.

It would seem like over time, the investment in the 3D modeling would have a payback to it - maybe not though?

Interesting

#5 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 09 March 2018 - 06:58 PM

i think the graphics look great as for that avatar if they 

would remove the driver from his butt it would look much better.lol

i have been over on their forums studyin up on it myself. i will wait this one out but when TGC19 hits the street

looks like i will give it a try, hate losing the 3c but i played most of the TW series on PS on controller so i should be able to pick up on it 

without much effort.

Smart move to wait on this Dave.  I don't think you'll have any trouble picking up on the controller interface in this game if you used it in Tiger Woods.  I think the Player club set offers a reasonable challenge to most players.  I know my game started declining two months ago, and I finally swallowed my pride and went back to Player clubs, from Tour clubs.  You lose about 7 or 8% power in going with Player clubs versus Tour clubs, but I have a much better chance of making a birdie from 140 yards out in the fairway, than 125 yards out in the heavy rough.

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#6 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 09 March 2018 - 07:05 PM

@JC:  Fixed - thanks

I agree with you on wanting to see more.

I was pretty underwhelmed with this - looks like TGC2 almost totally to me.

The lighting/the trees - it seems silly, but I want TGC 2019 to "look" like a new release that's evolved.

Is anyone surprised to see that they literally scan/capture items to import into the game?

I am somewhat surprised that it's cheaper/easier/better as a solution vs having artists build 3D models of the objects.

It would seem like over time, the investment in the 3D modeling would have a payback to it - maybe not though?

Interesting

We're going to have to get a larger sample size of how the photogrammetric technology works in this game before I can come close to forming an opinion on it.  I don't want the objects to look digitized, but I can grasp, in theory, how this allows the objects to look both realistic , yet have the aspect properties of a 3-D object.

I think SpeedTrees are going to strikingly change the looks of the game, but at this point, I can't say whether it will be for the better.  I know I still prefer the look of the pre-Speedtree era trees in Perfect Golf over what we have today, in general.

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#7 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 07:10 PM

We're going to have to get a larger sample size of how the photogrammetric technology works in this game before I can come close to forming an opinion on it.  I don't want the objects to look digitized, but I can grasp, in theory, how this allows the objects to look both realistic , yet have the aspect properties of a 3-D object.

Yeah - we'll see I guess.

I just know in something X-Plane 11, things are fully 3d Modeled and they've used something called physics based rendering on the lighting (or something like that) and it's stunning how real things look.  There are literally screenshots and videos that I'd have trouble telling apart from real photos and videos.

#8 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 09 March 2018 - 08:20 PM

Too damned bad they have a "cookie cutter" course architect or I might seriously think about giving them a shot!

• worrybirdie likes this

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#9 drb7

drb7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 09 March 2018 - 08:21 PM

looks very good, glad i held off on getting TGC2

#10 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 09 March 2018 - 08:52 PM

Too damned bad they have a "cookie cutter" course architect or I might seriously think about giving them a shot!

I somewhat agree and disagree with this.  Yes, the JNPG designer tool-set is very advanced.  However, people are generating some truly great courses with the TGC designer.

The biggest issue I have with the TGC designer is that all the courses basically have a similar look.  The courses in JNPG can (and do) all look very unique from one another.  HBS wanted a designer to be used on a console though.  That's both a huge selling point and a limiting factor at the same time.  Based on the limitations they were working with - it's a tremendous accomplishment I think.

Steam Name: Turnerm05

Swing Type: RTSC | Tour Pro | XB1 Wireless

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

GTX 1080 Founders Edition

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#11 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts
  • LocationWest End, Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Posted 09 March 2018 - 08:57 PM

They've used the same mocap guy I see.

Sorry. I'll leave now.

#12 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 09 March 2018 - 09:08 PM

They've used the same mocap guy I see.

Sorry. I'll leave now.

They don't have the coin needed for a new mo-cap right now, after the 10's of thousands they spent on the first two.  I think these mo-caps will still work fine and will probably look a little richer with the added details they'll embody courtesy of photogrammetry.

And don't leave... stick around and discuss the game here.  We need sobering voices of reality to balance the Pollyanna's like me  ;)

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#13 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 09:09 PM

We need sobering voices of reality to balance the Pollyanna's like me  ;)

(raises hand...)   :)

#14 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 09:12 PM

To me the real litmus test w/ regards to visuals as a current TGC outsider is when we get to see what an HB designed real course recreation looks like.

To Mebby's point above - the "sameness" of the TGC world and courses is a real challenge to overcome, but one that I think they'll have to find a way to accomplish if they are serious about charging money for real courses.

I'm not sure the market will be there for RCR's that don't have the correct look and feel of whatever environment they are from.

It's going to be a high bar to clear to get extra money out of people vs using free user made versions I'd imagine.

• JCat04 likes this

#15 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 09 March 2018 - 09:13 PM

(raises hand...)   :)

You're the drum major among the sobering voices of reality, but Ted is the Flag Bearer :D

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#16 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 09:14 PM

You're the drum major among the sobering voices of reality, but Ted is the Flag Bearer :D

It takes a village...  lol

#17 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 09 March 2018 - 09:16 PM

To me the real litmus test w/ regards to visuals as a current TGC outsider is when we get to see what an HB designed real course recreation looks like.

I know they've got a good community course designer on their payroll now, so I expect to see some really quality work with their real courses.  How many people will actually be willing to pay for as DLC when and if that comes, I don't know, but we'll have some of Craig's work to sample with the game release.

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#18 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 09 March 2018 - 09:23 PM

I somewhat agree and disagree with this.  Yes, the JNPG designer tool-set is very advanced.  However, people are generating some truly great courses with the TGC designer.

The biggest issue I have with the TGC designer is that all the courses basically have a similar look.  The courses in JNPG can (and do) all look very unique from one another.  HBS wanted a designer to be used on a console though.  That's both a huge selling point and a limiting factor at the same time.  Based on the limitations they were working with - it's a tremendous accomplishment I think.

I hear ya but it's just not something that would challenge me. The TW PC series always had an option that designers could make cookie cutter fairways/bunkers/greens etc. However once someone actually make courses that way, it was rather obvious.

I do hear you though.

And  I do like the looks of it and it seems like the devs are pretty much in contact with the community? Unlike hear!

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#19 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 09 March 2018 - 10:16 PM

I hear ya but it's just not something that would challenge me. The TW PC series always had an option that designers could make cookie cutter fairways/bunkers/greens etc. However once someone actually make courses that way, it was rather obvious.

I do hear you though.

And  I do like the looks of it and it seems like the devs are pretty much in contact with the community? Unlike hear!

The tools available in the designer overcome any concerns of cookie cutter fairways/bunkers/greens for sure.  It's not like you can only choose from a bank of 25 sand traps or anything.  You can create whatever shape you want... it's just different from how you'd do it in JNPG.

But I hear you on your point though.  It's certainly no where NEAR as agile as the designer for JNPG... and it never will be.

• axe360 likes this

Steam Name: Turnerm05

Swing Type: RTSC | Tour Pro | XB1 Wireless

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

GTX 1080 Founders Edition

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#20 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 09 March 2018 - 10:53 PM

Well mebby at least I know there may be something to fall back on. :) Thank you!

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users