#21 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 09 March 2018 - 11:34 PM

They would go a long way if they got rid of the awful carpet textures they currently have, say what you want about PG's looks, there is no denying the textures look more realistic to the eye than anything TGC can throw up.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#22 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 09 March 2018 - 11:41 PM

I've thought about picking TGC up just to have another platform to use, but the designer doesn't impress me a whole lot. It seems like there are a few quirkly limitations and a real lack of customization available.... like textures, flags, etc.  I just think that would get boring after sometime.

I believe Course Forge is the greatest design program ever created; it would be a damn shame for it to end up in oblivion because the parent game wasn't as successful as others around it.

• axe360, Keith, DoGgs and 1 other like this

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#23 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 11:44 PM

They would go a long way if they got rid of the awful carpet textures they currently have, say what you want about PG's looks, there is no denying the textures look more realistic to the eye than anything TGC can throw up.

Hmm - I don't know man..

I suppone on the whole I agree with you that TGC could use more textures and better ones...

But..This is somewhat "throwing stones in a glass house" if you ask me.

Both games can look amazing and awful, just depending on what example course or lighting we are talking about.

#24 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 09 March 2018 - 11:48 PM

I'm talking striclty textures Buck, just as TGC has nice detailed objects PG has more realistic looking FW and green textures,  TGC's textures have never done their game any favours.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#25 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 11:49 PM

I'm talking striclty textures Buck, just as TGC has nice detailed objects PG has more realistic looking FW and green textures,  TGC's textures have never done their game any favours.

I'll agree with you there..

Fair point - Definitely room for improvement.

#26 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 10 March 2018 - 12:37 AM

TGC uses 3D grass for its fairways, greens etc.

If PG2 ever arrives it will likely suffer from a similar problem as it may be impossible to create the varied effects that 2D textures allow.

life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#27 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 12:43 AM

TGC uses 3D grass for its fairways, greens etc.

Are you sure about that?
That can't be right..

Those aren't normal 2D textures on the fairway and greens?

#28 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 10 March 2018 - 01:26 AM

Are you sure about that?
That can't be right..

Those aren't normal 2D textures on the fairway and greens?

I see 3D textures in the light and heavy rough in TGC 2.  Fairways and green textures are so short I don't know that I could see 3-D texture in them if they were there, but that's my untrained eyes.

Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz 
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#29 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 01:34 AM

I see 3D textures in the light and heavy rough in TGC 2.  Fairways and green textures are so short I don't know that I could see 3-D texture in them if they were there, but that's my untrained eyes.

I'd be shocked to learn TGC is so far up the technology stack that they are using 3d grass on the fairways and greens.

That's the sort of thing that really isn't even close to performant short of using new technologies like that NVIDIA Turf.

#30 FreeBolt

FreeBolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 04:04 AM

I may try The Golf Club 2019, because I read they may have multiplayer features now. I never cared for the games game-play, but maybe it will be better in this version.

#31 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 11 March 2018 - 12:39 PM

Agree. I think this is one of many reasons why all TGC course look so similar.

Steam Name: Turnerm05

Swing Type: RTSC | Tour Pro | XB1 Wireless

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

GTX 1080 Founders Edition

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#32 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 05:42 PM

It's amazing to me we are still having this debate about "time of day" and "course conditions" being available as options to the user over in the TGC world.

Some of these designer responses are just amazing.

The hubris and self concern about their "masterpieces of course design" (give me a break) and how any user choices on round conditions might impact their rating in the course ranking system...

Comments like:

I also don't want someone jacking up the green speed and firmness and then ranking it low because it's too tough and unfair.

Allowing changes to anything that affects scoring (that won't be noted, such as tees/pins) makes scoring/stats irrelevant.

If this is brought into the game it will be the death of the design community as we know it. I know too many of (considered to be) top designers that will completely drop it if this comes to pass.

Once again, some of us have this game solely for the designer. If you haven't spent 100+ hours designing a course you're not likely to understand or agree with the perceptions of those that do.

Nice to see Leadbelly drop in with some comments of reason, among a few in there:

This is the only golf game I ever played I think, were to user/player could not set the conditions. They should hide this thread, its not very good for sales.

I have been playing golf games about 20 years now, and never met a designer that cared what conditions people played there course. Its kinda like Jack Nicklaus designing a real course, and telling people they can only play it when it rains.

Here we have the suggestion that a user has to "earn it" to be able to play the course how they'd like.
First you have to play it how the designer wants - then you can do what you want?  Jesus..
lmfao

1) Prevailing wind direction should be set by creator and 50% of the time the course plays with that prevailing wind direction.
2). After you have played the course 1 time, user settings for that course become available (green speed, firmness, wind speed, etc)

Shockingly JohnEric becomes a voice of reason as well!

All I hear from designers is me, me, I, I, etc..... 

My main takeaway on this is that the conditions I can agree about having a designer specified “range” to choose from for a user.

But a designer setting and controlling the time of day for the course is nonsense.

Anyone should be able to choose their own time of day.

This would also help alleviate the sunset orgasm/bad lighting issues where it becomes unplayable on TGC due to shadows all over.

Edit:  Sorry - noticed the formatting came over on the text - should be fixed

Edited by Buck, 12 March 2018 - 11:57 PM.

• nightowl likes this

#33 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 12 March 2018 - 06:32 PM

I remember AK saying that condition control could not be handed to the player because of ghost balls and multiplayer.  Well i'm pretty sure most people would rather have condition control over ghost balls, and MP is non existent anyway.  There is no reason not to have control in TGC 2019, it is a must imo, whats the odds of having it?

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#34 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 06:37 PM

I remember AK saying that condition control could not be handed to the player because of ghost balls and multiplayer.  Well i'm pretty sure most people would rather have condition control over ghost balls, and MP is non existent anyway.  There is no reason not to have control in TGC 2019, it is a must imo, whats the odds of having it?

Depends if it's a technical thing or a philosophical thing.

I think it's the former mostly, but defended a lot by the latter, especially among the designers.

Some of the designer attitudes there are amazing.

You'd think they are Picasso's commissioned to do murals at The Vatican or something.

I expect nothing to change with being able to choose conditions or, amazingly, even time of day.

Pretty wild.  

I've never heard of this concept where you can only play a certain course at 5pm

"The designer intended the greens to be impossible to read because his course looks most oozy orgasmic sexxxy at 5pm...so deal with it"

It sure would get crowded at my local course if we all were forced to show up at the same time because "that's how the designer intended it"!   :D

It may rain tomorrow - no golf - that's not how the course was designed to be played...

#35 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 12 March 2018 - 11:58 PM

Agree on the designer comments in that thread (and others like it).  The threats to leave the game are laughable.  Go ahead!

We need control over time of day and playing conditions just like any other golf game.  I'm certain they can overcome the challenges noted.

Steam Name: Turnerm05

Swing Type: RTSC | Tour Pro | XB1 Wireless

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

GTX 1080 Founders Edition

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#36 AnthonyKyne

AnthonyKyne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 10:30 AM

Hi guys,

Just thought I'd chime in a little here, especially after enjoying the conversation a couple of weeks ago.

TGC1 and 2 both have 3D grass on fairways, greens and tees - you can see it here https://youtu.be/eAq...e TGC1 trailer.

With regards time of day, I'm really keen to see if it's in TGC2019. It was so close to getting in to TGC2 - it fell off the radar due to lighting reflection issues with buildings and objects being variable during the round.

With regards conditions, weather. It was a design decision, because of the ghost balls and leaderboards. I always wanted the designers to choose a region in the world where their course was built. Then use real weather data to dictate the weather. The problem with being able to dictate the weather and course firmness, etc is that people would use it to destroy the course leaderboards and records. So we created a simulation of a real world weather system.

It's funny how the "hard core" guys, which I would class most of you. Don't rate the ghost ball play that much but the majority of players actually love them. When I was living in Canada I loved being able to play rounds against my Dad in the UK when was convenient for both of us.

#37 Drgnslyr221

Drgnslyr221

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • LocationLakewood, CO

Posted 17 March 2018 - 04:56 PM

Hi guys,
Just thought I'd chime in a little here, especially after enjoying the conversation a couple of weeks ago.
TGC1 and 2 both have 3D grass on fairways, greens and tees - you can see it here https://youtu.be/eAq...e TGC1 trailer.
With regards time of day, I'm really keen to see if it's in TGC2019. It was so close to getting in to TGC2 - it fell off the radar due to lighting reflection issues with buildings and objects being variable during the round.
With regards conditions, weather. It was a design decision, because of the ghost balls and leaderboards. I always wanted the designers to choose a region in the world where their course was built. Then use real weather data to dictate the weather. The problem with being able to dictate the weather and course firmness, etc is that people would use it to destroy the course leaderboards and records. So we created a simulation of a real world weather system.
It's funny how the "hard core" guys, which I would class most of you. Don't rate the ghost ball play that much but the majority of players actually love them. When I was living in Canada I loved being able to play rounds against my Dad in the UK when was convenient for both of us.

I don't think it's so much that they hate ghost balls. It's more they hate the lack of a lobby and true MP.

#38 gravedodger

gravedodger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationThe northy part of Ireland

Posted 17 March 2018 - 05:04 PM

I'd definitely miss player controlled conditions when playing along with the Majors and Ryder Cup ... so enjoyable to set up the same conditions as the tournament play for 4 rounds, yea, I'd miss that ability  :(

#39 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 05:10 PM

I'd definitely miss player controlled conditions when playing along with the Majors and Ryder Cup ... so enjoyable to set up the same conditions as the tournament play for 4 rounds, yea, I'd miss that ability :(

The lack of being able to set conditions in any way at all is one of the worst things about TGC to me.

@AK: Fascinating to hear about the grass… So per other comments in this thread that is in fact one of the reasons why everything looks so, unrealistically to me, uniform?

#40 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 17 March 2018 - 05:22 PM

Did they change the ghost balls for TGC 2 in terms of playing with the same wind as the chosen ghost ball?  there was nothing worse than having to play a ghost ball that was played in calm conditions when you had to deal with windy conditions, made it all a bit pointless, not that i was ever a fan of ghost ball anyway.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users