#41 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 17 March 2018 - 06:29 PM

It's funny how the "hard core" guys, which I would class most of you. Don't rate the ghost ball play that much but the majority of players actually love them. When I was living in Canada I loved being able to play rounds against my Dad in the UK when was convenient for both of us.

Anthony, I consider myself a hardcore player, but I ALWAYS have at least one ghost ball in action when I play a round, whether it's just a casual "check the course out" round or a Society Tournament round.  It helps give the course a sense of life elsewhere, even though I see nothing more than ball in flight, bounce, or roll.  I'll grant you that I'm likely in the extreme minority of those who consider themselves hardcore players, yet play this way. 

Thanks for the link on the 3D grass.  I'm curious to see how all of this is going to look with the lighting changes.  There's room for improvement there, IMO.

Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz 
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#42 Tresclub

Tresclub

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • LocationLa Mesa, CA USA

Posted 18 March 2018 - 06:09 AM

What is a "Ghost Ball"?

PerfectGolfMember2.jpg 

“You only live once, do it right, and once is enough."

Windows 10 Home 64-bit |Intel® Core™ i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.2GHz | nVidea GeForce GTX 1070 FTW
16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 | 2/Samsung EVO 850 500gb SSD | Corsair 600cx PwrSup
BenQ ZOWIE 27" 1ms LCD HD | DirectX 12 | Realtek High Definition Audio | HD Pro Webcam C920

#43 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 18 March 2018 - 06:57 AM

Its a bit like what we have here " recorded rounds " where you get to play another persons recording, you do not see their avatar just the ball they played flying here and there.  Like i said above, you have no condition control, so the ghost ball you are playing may be playing with a calm wind whilst you may be forced to play in a gale which kinda renders the challenge a bit pointless.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#44 gravedodger

gravedodger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationThe northy part of Ireland

Posted 18 March 2018 - 11:52 AM

You can choose to switch on the Turn Based option then you can see the player avatar so it feels a bit more than just a ghost ball :)

#45 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 18 March 2018 - 01:05 PM

Glad to hear that I was right about the 3D grass in TGC. I used to be very confident that my comments were correct, but these days, with my failing memory, I start doubting and questioning myself whenever someone challenges them.

life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#46 MERACE

MERACE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 03:48 PM

Ghost balls in TGC require no settings prior to playing a round to record it. Each round played is automatically recorded.

Also, when playing a Society tournament round with a ghost you’re playing with the same course conditions including wind for that round.

-MERACE

#47 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 18 March 2018 - 06:46 PM

What is a "Ghost Ball"?

What DoGgs is true about a "ghost ball" (you see their ball but not the animation of their avatar swing the club to play the shot), but it also will play out of sequence according to the "order of play" rules of golf.  You may have the "honors" on the second tee, but the "ghost ball" will launch off the tee before you even get your club selected and aim taken.  The "ghost ball" may have out driven you and be closer to the hole, but they're going to play their next shot first.  

I like watching the flight of the other player's ball (ie, ghost ball) from my golfer's point of view on the course,  but it would flow so much better and feel more natural and orderd if they would simply tweak the 'ghost ball launch logic' such that ghost ball's would hold off their execution until like three or four seconds after you'd played your shot when you're away.  This would help a whole lot on the greens, where I'm often given an unustified read on an opponent's putt who putted out of turn just inside of me on the same line.

A few "if/then" statements and a three to four second delay execution command and "Ghost Ball" play would be soooooooo much more enjoyable, for my anyway.

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#48 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 18 March 2018 - 08:00 PM

Hi guys,

Just thought I'd chime in a little here, especially after enjoying the conversation a couple of weeks ago.

TGC1 and 2 both have 3D grass on fairways, greens and tees - you can see it here https://youtu.be/eAq...e TGC1 trailer.

With regards time of day, I'm really keen to see if it's in TGC2019. It was so close to getting in to TGC2 - it fell off the radar due to lighting reflection issues with buildings and objects being variable during the round.

With regards conditions, weather. It was a design decision, because of the ghost balls and leaderboards. I always wanted the designers to choose a region in the world where their course was built. Then use real weather data to dictate the weather. The problem with being able to dictate the weather and course firmness, etc is that people would use it to destroy the course leaderboards and records. So we created a simulation of a real world weather system.

It's funny how the "hard core" guys, which I would class most of you. Don't rate the ghost ball play that much but the majority of players actually love them. When I was living in Canada I loved being able to play rounds against my Dad in the UK when was convenient for both of us.

I REALLY hope that a player controlled time of day setting is enabled!!  That would be fantastic!

I see your point on playing conditions but what's wrong with making the ghost ball the master as it relates to conditions so that the player is forced to use the same conditions of the ghost ball?  I agree with the comment that Dogz made - it kinda kills the experience when I've got a 35mph headwind and my turn-order enabled ghost player has 5mph tailwind!  I'd MUCH rather be locked into their playing conditions so that we're both playing the same "course" that day.  

I consider myself a hardcore player and I LOVE the idea of the ghost ball setup you guys built into the game.  My only real gripe is the issue I stated above.  I still use it quite frequently though and I enjoy it.  I personally like using turn order so that I can see the other golfer.  However, I'm really digging the idea that JC has been pushing which is sort of a hybrid between the current turn order and non turn order ghost play where the ghost ball still plays falling the turn-order but you don't have to show the animation which speed things up quite a bit.  

Steam Name: Turnerm05

Swing Type: RTSC | Tour Pro | XB1 Wireless

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

GTX 1080 Founders Edition

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#49 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 18 March 2018 - 08:15 PM

Its a bit like what we have here " recorded rounds " where you get to play another persons recording, you do not see their avatar just the ball they played flying here and there.  Like i said above, you have no condition control, so the ghost ball you are playing may be playing with a calm wind whilst you may be forced to play in a gale which kinda renders the challenge a bit pointless.

I so rarely play rounds outside of a Society tournament that I seldom see what you're describing above, and the conditions for the ghost ball will then be the same.  I agree that it does spoil the ambiance of ghost play, turn order enabled or not,  when you're playing a casual round and the wind is clearly not the same.

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#50 Kimmer1947

Kimmer1947

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 04:21 PM

I purchased TGC2 about a month ago when it was offered for a deep discount.  My concern for the future of JNPG was also a motivation.  Notably, TGC2 does not offer a 3Click option.  Since I believe there are many 3Click players, I am wondering why 3Click is not available.  Just curious.

The above being said, the Motion Swing at TGC2 seemed easier to execute than the one at JNPG.  Easier, not necessarily better.....at least for me.  I've managed to play an 18 hole round at TGC2 at +3, and many strokes were lost on the putting green which I find very difficult at this time.

I couldn't find a "mulligan" option at TGC2 either.  Presumably not available just like 3Click.

#51 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 19 March 2018 - 04:58 PM

I purchased TGC2 about a month ago when it was offered for a deep discount.  My concern for the future of JNPG was also a motivation.  Notably, TGC2 does not offer a 3Click option.  Since I believe there are many 3Click players, I am wondering why 3Click is not available.  Just curious.

The above being said, the Motion Swing at TGC2 seemed easier to execute than the one at JNPG.  Easier, not necessarily better.....at least for me.  I've managed to play an 18 hole round at TGC2 at +3, and many strokes were lost on the putting green which I find very difficult at this time.

I couldn't find a "mulligan" option at TGC2 either.  Presumably not available just like 3Click.

No mulligan option and no gimmie option either.  Putting takes a while to get the hang of in TGC that's for sure.  I doubt we'll ever see a 3C option in TGC but it for sure will not be present in TGC 2019.

Steam Name: Turnerm05

Swing Type: RTSC | Tour Pro | XB1 Wireless

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

GTX 1080 Founders Edition

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#52 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 04:11 PM

New video is out!

Lots of great stuff to see in here on the swing..

Can you guy TGC2 guys comment on what you see in there that's new to 2019?

Are the new trees in?

Any other tidbits?

#53 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 04:15 PM

The comments at the 2:00 mark are encouraging and yet a touch disappointing, to me at least (about the shot shaper).

I wish they'd go all the way and eliminate it and use the inputs they'd discussed as the way to accomplish the swing results and just make the different club sets the main/only way to level things up/down

#54 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 04:36 PM

User "Jared" over there had some great about thoughts about the loft box..
What they really need is a new GUI for what the loft box perhaps..

"I've always viewed the shot shaper as opening/closing the face (also the stance IRL) and moving the ball back and forward in your stance for high/low trajectory.

I remember hearing complaints about how easy it was to dial in distance in TGC1, and also at the same time hearing complaints that you shouldn't be able to take 60 yards off a 3 iron with lofting.  Now there's a bunch of play in the short irons to make it harder to dial them in.

I don't think the shot shaper was ever the problem.  The real issue is that compared with swinging an actual golf club at an actual ball, its ridiculously easy to hit the ball in a video game, even with the difficulty turned up."

#55 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 29 March 2018 - 04:42 PM

no work on bunkers or the course feel in general...they all look the same still.  better shot shaping with the actual stick is fine, its just how they implement it that matters.

• IanK likes this

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#56 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 04:45 PM

no work on bunkers or the course feel in general...they all look the same still.  better shot shaping with the actual stick is fine, its just how they implement it that matters.

Better than the "no work at all" happening on the dead game here...

(talking about a new PC version - and what we know about it - which to my knowledge is "nothing")

#57 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 29 March 2018 - 04:55 PM

Looking at that video, the swing mechanics sound fine but it will be so hard to go back to those graphics after playing JNPG for so long. TGC graphics are so unrealistic and give no sense of being on an actual golf course.

life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#58 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 05:03 PM

Looking at that video, the swing mechanics sound fine but it will be so hard to go back to those graphics after playing JNPG for so long. TGC graphics are so unrealistic and give no sense of being on an actual golf course.

Hmm...

Wish I could go there with you, but I see many examples of "ridiculously unrealistic" in this game too.

At one point I was actually collecting screen shots of all the hideous looking things I came across over time in PG, but at some point I realized that PP perhaps doesn't care and now of course we have no clue if there's even any future, so why bother with feature suggestions or bug reports, etc.

Re: TGC 2019 - If they are going to actively develop it, have match play and even do some real official courses, I'll be there.

At some point, just having a dev team that's open and cares for you as a customer matters a lot more than most other things, at least to me.

#59 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 06:50 PM

no work on bunkers or the course feel in general...they all look the same still. better shot shaping with the actual stick is fine, its just how they implement it that matters.

I've recently purchased TGC2.The bunkers look bloody awful.
I also understand now what some people were saying about the lighting, which can look good but when the sun is low and infront everything turns black. Putting is hard especially on mid-range putts because you can't see how far your clubhead is moving on your backswing.
The swing mechanics are ok but it's hard to keep the correct tempo on underpowered pitch and flop shots. I can't understand how users can say that PG2 looks better than PG.
I hope the makers of TGC can sort out these issues.
Steam Name: n.bonaparte
WWG1WGA

#60 Richard

Richard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBismarck, ND

Posted 29 March 2018 - 07:04 PM

I've recently purchased PG2. The bunkers look bloody awful.
I also understand now what some people were saying about the lighting, which can look good but when the sun is low and infront everything turns black. Putting is hard especially on mid-range putts because you can't see how far your clubhead is moving on your backswing.
The swing mechanics are ok but it's hard to keep the correct tempo on underpowered pitch and flop shots. I can't understand how users can say that PG2 looks better than PG.
I hope the makers of TGC can sort out these issues.

Typo???? PG2 s/b TGC2 maybe.
  • IanK likes this
Richard

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users